Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 59007 times)

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #405 on: May 04, 2021, 12:38:39 pm »

@Radipon Are you sure you uploaded the right save file? It seems to still be in Moonstone from what I can see.

Anyway, good job on the turn. Perhaps our fortress did just need a little bit of soap all along.  :)

We'll start the election soon; hopefully the save file issue can get resolved in the meantime. Until then, if anyone whose dwarf died wants to claim another dwarf, you can do so before this election.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 04, 2021, 03:33:20 pm »

Maximum Spin told me he definitely wanted a new dwarf, but nothing about what sort of dwarf. You'll have to ask him that.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 04, 2021, 07:56:42 pm »

@Radipon Are you sure you uploaded the right save file? It seems to still be in Moonstone from what I can see.

Anyway, good job on the turn. Perhaps our fortress did just need a little bit of soap all along.  :)

We'll start the election soon; hopefully the save file issue can get resolved in the meantime. Until then, if anyone whose dwarf died wants to claim another dwarf, you can do so before this election.

Whoops! Seems that having the original zip in the same directory kept the files from updating. It should be good now.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 07, 2021, 04:15:43 pm »

Maximum Spin told me he definitely wanted a new dwarf, but nothing about what sort of dwarf. You'll have to ask him that.
If he has a particular preference I suppose he can state it in this thread. Otherwise since he wants a new dwarf whoever wins this next election can simply dorf him as any dwarf.

Anyway, it has been a couple of days so it is probably best to get the ball rolling. It is, once again, ELECTION TIME and the dwarves have gathered to vote themselves a new leader. Who will be the first to speak up?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 07, 2021, 05:36:15 pm »

If he has a particular preference I suppose he can state it in this thread.
I didn't, although it might be funny to go for something as radically different from my last dwarf as possible. I feel that it would be disrespectful to my poor widow to simply reuse the name, so call it Angular Momentum.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 07, 2021, 10:32:31 pm »

call it Angular Momentum.

lol

Fatcat stands immediately.
"Thanks to Radipon, Doren's Pyramid's walls have finally been completed. The fortress stockpiles have begun to be rearranged. The military is starting to show signs of competence. A good deal has been accomplished in the past year. Now I am standing here to request that I be selected to do my part in carrying on the work. Radipon completed so much because he has a dream of what Goldsilver should become. I, too have such a dream, and will pursue it with similar energy as he has. Dawn has come. We can bring in the full glory of day, if you who are gathered here so choose. I wait now for your verdict."
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile

The dwarf known as Nephilim III is the next to stand up. Reading from a piece of paper in her hands, she begins to speak: "Being a new elector of this fortress and acknowledging the changing political circumstances as our fortunes rise and fall, I submit to this body the manifesto of a new political party of which I shall run as a representative in this election."

THE PATRIOTIC DWARFIST MOVEMENT

Loyalty to Dwarven civilization is a virtue above all others. With the Dwarven Kingdom facing threats both from outside and from within, the Patriotic Dwarfist Movment calls on all dwarves to join in for a national reawakening.

Economic Policy:
– Trade with the capital is essential to secure ties between the Dwarven Fatherland and the northern colonies. As much material as can be exported should be exported and offerings should be made to the Crown.
– Humans, as long as they are at peace with the dwarves, are to be considered allies and are to be treated fairly in trade.
– All enemy civilizations at war with the dwarves (i.e. elves and goblins) are to be dealt with as enemy combatants.

Military Policy:
– The standing military must be increased so as to facilitate the national reawakening. Dwarves in less important industries are to be conscripted in new squads.
– A top priority is the liberation of Dwarven clay from the hands of goblin invaders. The military must be deployed to occupied sites until all of the Dwarven Fatherland is once again in Dwarven hands.

Art Policy:
– Good art elevates the morale of the fortress population and expresses the genius of the Dwarven spirit. Such art is to be displayed prominently for the public eye.
– Art which is un-Dwarven in nature is unacceptable for the national reawakening and shall be disposed of.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile

Neither candidate's appeals to the electorate sparked debate; the tired and busy dwarves of Goldsilver silently waited as the ballots were prepared and distributed to each dwarf.

Ballots have been sent out. Please vote.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When it is Fatcat's turn to cast her ballot, she remarks
"For the benefit of you who haven't voted yet, I should note that, first, it seems ill advised to stir up any more internal conflict by antagonizing the Stukists, and second, one of the goblin empires which holds dwarven territory is actually at peace with our civilization last I heard, and aggression toward them would be the height of folly."

She concludes by dropping her ballot into the box with a flourish.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile

Waiting on a tie-breaker vote. If you're reading this and haven't voted yet, please do; otherwise we'll need to have a second ballot or figure out some other means of breaking the tie.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile

After the voting was concluded, the results revealed no victor for the first round.

Upon these results, Nephilim III stands up to speak once more: "It seems that for all the electors in this room, only a handful feel passionately enough about these political ceremonies to actually participate. In the interest of not needing to prepare another ballot that will probably just tie again anyway, I propose a compromise. I'll remove my name from the running and concede defeat on this ballot provided that you commit to the following: One, to support my candidacy in the next election; two, to appoint me as militia commander during your leadership; and, three, to provide for at least a meager section of the fortress to be prepared as a headquarters for the Patriotic Dwarfist Movement. I trust that you will not find these terms to be unreasonable."

Nephilim III sits down and waits for Fatcat's response.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After spending time in thought, Fatcat responds:
"I cannot, in good conscience, blindly promise to support you next year, and I will never appoint a military commander for any other reason then skill, after what happened with Nephilim I. If you prove to have adequate military ability to merit the position of commander, you will receive it, and if not, you will receive training so that you may reach that point. I can, however, promise you a proper office and headquarters for your party in the heart of the fortress. Perhaps we could reach some policy compromise that would allow me to promise my support. My primary objections are to your vague terminology of un-dwarven art, which, if clarified, I will probably have no difficulty with, and your blanket animosity to all goblins. Last I heard, there are goblin governments which have peace treaties with the mountainhome, and these agreements must be abided by. If you can satisfy me on these fronts, I will take your agreement with only one stipulation: that you do not aggressively antagonize the remnant of the Stukist party here in Goldsilver. What do you say?"

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile

Nephilim III strokes her chin as if to show consideration. "Your terms are mostly agreeable; a party headquarters and an office would be most appreciated. As for your concerns for our art policy, actual disposal of art will likely be rare and only directed against art which is imported from other lands. As far as I am aware, almost all of the art presently on display in the fortress is of Dwarven origin and depicts history and themes of interest to dwarves. It is of no benefit to us to import art and engravings of humans and their history, nor of any of the other races of the world. I trust that you would agree with this sentiment.

"As for the goblins, ultimately there is no urgent need for us to make the first move against the goblin settlements in the northeastern part of The Routed Hill. Should they declare war on us the situation would change, but for the next few years at least there is no reason to concern ourselves greatly with them. I cannot, however, ignore the occupation of the two hillocks settlements of Twisttorch and Helpbells by the goblins who are at war with us. These are not only the closest hostile goblin presences to us, they are also rightful Dwarven clay under enemy control. The goblins in those sites, at the very least, must be driven out sooner or later. I can't imagine that you would disagree with me regarding this.

"Finally, regarding the Stukists, I don't imagine that I'll have much quarrel with them. Their party has almost completely collapsed following their failed coup and the death of their leader. There is essentially no reason to go about antagonizing the scattered remnants. With this clarified, are you willing to accept?"

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fatcat quickly nods:
"Yes, I am willing to exchange these concessions. I will order your party office begun immediately, and will provide you a position to train for militia leadership as soon as possible. If the other electors will accept your concession of the race, I will assume the overseership immediately."
She looks questioningly at the others in the room, to see if there is any response.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 17, 2021, 04:15:18 am »

"It seems to me that there is no objection to this compromise," Nephilim III says gesturing to the silent electorate. "I think it's safe to say that Goldsilver has a new overseer."
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32