Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 59012 times)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #420 on: May 17, 2021, 07:22:58 pm »

Fatcat bows.
"Thank you to those who were willing to vote this year. Now, we must all get to work, to make the most of the new year. You all are dismissed."
With this, she takes the lead, striding (as much as a dwarf can) out of the room to give her first orders, and rejoin the ranks of the masons.

ooc: Save is downloading. I'll try to move quickly, as much as writing entries allows.

Update:having difficulty with the save. I put the goldsilver folder in the saves folder, like always, but the game doesn't see it. Does anyone else have this problem?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 07:49:47 pm by fatcat__25 »
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 18, 2021, 03:17:06 am »

Update:having difficulty with the save. I put the goldsilver folder in the saves folder, like always, but the game doesn't see it. Does anyone else have this problem?
Are any of your other saves working as normal? Are you sure that the goldsilver folder doesn't have the actual save folder inside of it? I tried downloading the save and was able to get it working, though it seems that even the updated file is still in early winter of 258. I don't know if the problem is on my end here, but you might want to PM Radipon and see if you can get a fresh copy of the save.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 18, 2021, 07:26:49 am »

Yeah I'm not sure what happened that the save reverted to 10-01-258. I distinctly remember watching the save screen play out before zipping it up. Running it to 1-1-259 now.

List of differences:
- fatcat's dwarf got whacked in the elven ambush; caught outside and didn't want to mash through 600 ambush pauses again (for narrative purposes, re-dwarf and pretend nothing happened or... run with a body-snatchers angle)
- temple for The Coven of Fortunes was petitioned and fulfilled.
- Eli, the huge skinless alligator, with a short trunk and gaunt appearance, has appeared in the second cavern. Beware its poisonous gas!

Saved and updated: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15516
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:21:25 am by Radipon »

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 18, 2021, 09:21:59 pm »

Got the save working. I'll just find a mason with similar character, and go with it like nothing happened.

Actually, had to take the holy wealth, because no-one else was similar. Also, anyone using the base tileset, what in the world is going on with the rough stone walls? I'm getting there! Now to figure out where everything else is.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:49:40 pm by fatcat__25 »
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 19, 2021, 10:12:49 pm »

Granite 6th, 259
Fatcat, Overseer of Goldsilver

This has been a tiring last few days. I appointed myself a holy wealth, and have been busy attempting to sort out where stockpiles and workshops are. I have only started to scratch the surface of what needs to be fixed here in Goldsilver. A miner punched a weaver repeatedly, sending him to the hospital, and prompted me to appoint a captain of the guard, a simple worker, to handle the complaints. I have also been sorting through the stack of cold cases, and marking ones where the criminal is dead solved, as well as a few others. I have also given the preliminary orders to keep smelting running, and to prepare a second story of the main storage warehouse. I will have to begin construction of Nephilim III's offices soon, as well, perhaps on the third floor of the guildhall building I was working on when I was last elected. So much to do!

ooc:This is what goblin corpses look like.

And this is what rough stone walls look like.

Any idea how to fix this? It is distracting me somewhat.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 20, 2021, 12:25:48 am »

Any idea how to fix this? It is distracting me somewhat.
Try this:
  • Download old save file (tested it with this one)
  • Delete "objects" folder in the "raw" folder of the current save file
  • Replace with the "objects" folder from the old save

This worked for me.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 20, 2021, 08:09:11 pm »

That worked for me too. Thanks!
I'll hopefully have an update out soon.

Edit: Update!

Felsite 6th, 259

Two months have elapsed since I last had time to write. I have been so busy that if I wait longer, I will begin forgetting what happened. As overseer, I know it is my duty to record the events of the fortress. The first major event was, while cleaning up ledges and overhangs, one of the workers broke off the rock he was standing on, and fell through the floor below him.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thankfully, once he recovered consciousness, he walked away unharmed.
Shortly afterwards, my orders to deal with ghosts began to bear fruit.

Since then, several other poltergeists have been similarly dealt with.
Pieces of good news have continued to come in.

A band of 26 migrants arrived, of all skills. Two have been drafted into the military, and the others have taken a place in the daily operations of fortress life. One of them has a commendable taste for war hammers and shields.
Shortly afterwards, another band arrived.

They were welcomed, although their name gives no confidence in their abilities.
One more important party also arrived recently:

I sent a messenger to call he and his wife back almost immediately after my election. He has now assumed the role of strand extractor.
The one piece of bad news is that somehow wildlife from the caves is entering the fortress. A troll spent a while interrupting traffic up and down the central staircase, until he was attacked by dogs, and put down by Zon, the mentally unstable miner.
Zon has since spent roughly a month in jail for a period of unruly behavior. The new Captain of the Guard has been carrying out the duties of the position well. I do wonder about his sanity, though. He came to me claiming he had just interrogated Nephilim I.
Of course, that is impossible. Nephilim I has been dead for a couple years at this point.
Meanwhile, progress has been made on Nephilim III's office. It is only lacking half of its roof, and furnishings.
The owner has been assigned the position of speardwarf in the backup squad of the militia. Currently he is too valuable to the fortress to be allowed to spend all his time training, as he has been helping produce the blocks to build his office and the second story of the warehouse.
My largest project has been a massive cleanup of trash spread across the fortress. I have ordered several hundred wooden bolts and arrows thrown into the magma sea, and most of the inferior goblin armor and weapons melted. This way, we should have a large supply of metals to work with.
Slow progress has been made on these projects, but both will probably take several years to complete.
The last bit of news is that a dwarf came up to me to request a seat in the electorate. He said his name was Angular Momentum.
Now I should get back to work. There is so much to do, and so little time.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:11:02 am by fatcat__25 »

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 25, 2021, 07:12:00 am »

The one piece of bad news is that somehow wildlife from the caves is entering the fortress. A troll spent a while interrupting traffic up and down the central staircase, until he was attacked by dogs, and put down by Zon, the mentally unstable miner.

The ash must flow.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 26, 2021, 12:21:30 am »

Malachite 10th, 259

Two more months have come and gone. The rain from the mountains has ceased, and the farmers are busy planting what seeds they can get to grow. The time has mostly been drudgery for me, as I have to run all over the fortress to make sure the work on the walls continues apace. A few gaps have nearly been sealed, opening others for work. A second tower has begun to rise above the north of the fortress, much like the old tower in the south. Other construction projects also are continuing at a slower pace. The masons are being abysmally slow at cutting slate and gabbro for Nephilim III's roof, while the warehouse addition is beginning to be partitioned into rooms.
The latest new arrivals consist of a couple of human prophets bent on preaching their silly faiths, and another coarse entertainment troop. And the humans from the south:

Once the broker finally made his way to the depot, I instructed him to purchase all their metal, wood, cloth, sand, food, and books. The cooks, who have been turning out masterful meals could use some exciting new ingredients, and in my little bits of free time, I enjoy reading in the library. Some of the fish the humans brought were really strange.

At least they claimed they were fish, although I have a hard time believing them. There seems to be nothing there except a bit of watery slime. The titles of some of the books also sounded interesting, and definitely fitting for our library.

In return, they received bins upon bins of slightly worn clothing, which I'm told they will use and repurpose happily.

There have also been continued troubles with monsters both of the surface and the deeps. Shortly after I last wrote, I was told that a massive serpent was approaching the pyramid from the mountainside.
I prepared to write a record of the horrors of a rampaging titan, before it could destroy us. I vastly overestimated the power of this primordial force. The militia constantly training in the pyramid rushed out, and within a couple of minutes, had slain the beast.
Jecowa landed the killing blow, and, proud of her prowess, named her sword an artifact for the ages.
She also took the epithet "the Everlasting" for herself.
More recently, in the last few days, a few workers chased a cave crocodile into Radipon's hall, where I was forced to have an axedwarf dispatch it. Radipon will not be pleased.
I'll have to have that cleaned up for him.
Over the last two months, Zon the miner has admitted committing nearly a dozen old crimes, and has punched visitors to his cell three times, earning himself a third of a year in prison beyond what he had already been sentenced to. I hope there is a way to bring his mind back to balance.
This is all of importance that has happened over the last two months.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 27, 2021, 10:51:01 pm »

Limestone 10th, 259

With the end of another two months comes good news.

The caravan form the mountainhome comes at the end of a stressful couple months. They started out well, with the cooks making good use of the food I bought off of the humans.
We also had the pleasure of welcoming seven more migrants, three of whom were drafted into the still incomplete ranged branch of the militia, and of finally placing the last blocks in the roof of Nephilim III's office. I still don't know how he wants it decorated.

Shortly after these triumphs, Lurker reported seeing giant vultures circling high above the walls.

The appearance of these massive carrion eaters (slightly late, as all the goblins had already rotted) brought nearly all work in the fortress to a shuddering halt. One peasent, thinking to be a hero, climbed onto the curtain wall, and attacked one of the intruding monsters, only to trip dodging a swipe of its talons, and fall to his death right outside the main gate of the fortress.
Thankfully his death was soon balanced out, as Rovod, a butcher, took to using birds as target practice, and shot the culprit out of the skies.
His efforts soon brought down vulture, but in the confusion a third grabbed the packet of food out cooks had prepared to demonstrate the new ingredients they had been provided.

Eventually, the last two vultures flew away, and life returned to normal shortly before the caravan arrived.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 30, 2021, 09:22:06 pm »

I'm still working on in the year, but I have something weird going on. Ever since one of the citizens tantrumed, toppled some things, and punched a few people, I have been getting all sorts of cancellation messages like the following.

The human mercenaries in the fort also killed the tantruming dwarf, as well as two other seemingly innocent dwarves, but haven't been reported for committing crimes. I haven't actually dealt with a proper loyalty cascade before, so are there any easy ways to stop this latest addition to the cancellation spam? Otherwise, I'll send out a few troublemakers to take another goblin fort, so I'm not plagued with this, too.
The announcements are bad enough already.

edit:
Sent the troublemakers out. No solution needed anymore.

edit2: Update!
Timber 15th, 259

If I thought the end of summer was stressful, the fall has been even more so.  Everything started with a piece of excessive brutality by the Captain of the Guard. Administering a beating for the latest string of crimes Zon, the Lunatic Miner had admitted to, he put an end to any chance of reaching the bottom of any other incidents the poor fellow carried in his mind.
Meanwhile, trading went well, as our broker sold a vast supply of minor trinkets and baubles to the traders in exchange for a list of items much like I had him purchase from the humans. I asked the traders to bring more sand next year, as the small amount they brought will hardly make a window for someone's room, much less make progress on a vast dome. Over this interlude, one of our cooks, Ignish, began preparing brilliant meals on a regular basis, even out of some truly disturbing ingredients.
We also gained another body of permanent residents, who, well they may not contribute much, will at least make life slightly more pleasant.

Additionally, the mayor was reelected, and Goldsilver was pronounced a county of the Confining Clasps.
And then chaos broke loose. It seemingly began with a simple tantrum.

The criminal was quickly reported and convicted, but here the train of events grew muddy. Several other members of the fortress had apparently sworn loyalty to the first troublemaker, and in a few short altercations, three of the band were slain by the human mercenaries serving Goldsilver.
I assembled the remaining three, and told them that an insurrection would not be tolerated, and informed them that their options were death at the hands of the militia, or a chance to redeem themselves by conquering a goblin settlement. Even though two of their number had no prior training with weapons, they decided they had a chance to live if they went and fought for their kind.

I picked a weak target right on the doorstep of the capitol of the Diamond Dread, and ordered them out.
Unfortunately for them, another of their number met a gory end at the hands of the mercenaries before they could leave, but the remaining ones set off, determined to win the fight.

The story did have a good ending, as a couple weeks later, a messenger brought back word that the rebels had redeemed themselves.
While all of this was happening, the day to day operations of the fort were not neglected. Notable occourances included the Militia Captain being jumped by a werelizerd, which was brutally dispatched,
and a dwarf taken by a mood.

Her masterwork was small, but beautiful, and will always serve as a testament to dwarven skill.
In a more mundane vein, the work on the curtain wall continues unabated, and several levels have been completed.

Only a little over three months remain in my year, so I hope I can fully secure our defenses, and avoid leaving the next overseer the problem of finishing the task I began.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 12:23:06 am by fatcat__25 »

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 04, 2021, 11:32:15 pm »

Granite 1st, 260

Today marks the end of my term as overseer. I can hardly consider it a success, as I have focused on a very few major projects, and have failed to complete any of them. The last 2 and a half months were calm finally, after the chaos of the preceding seasons. Only a very few events have broken the day to day regularity of fortress life. The first of them was another dwarf taken by a mood. She collected a vast list of items, and built a grand hatch cover.
Shortly afterwards, the craftsdwarf guild approached me, to request an upgrade to their meeting space that I built them during my last term.

I offered to install the recently constructed artifact as a ready example of their purpose as a group, and they gratefully accepted.
One of the workers on the walls reported hearing loud noises on the north flank of the mountain. The military was sent to keep guard, and were confronted by the second werelizard of the year. It was dispatched as swiftly as the first. More damaging were the two tantrums near the end of the year. First Shorast, an unskilled laborer, and then Lucky, still mentally troubled from the crippling injury she suffered years ago, attacked other workers. I took it upon myself to interview Shorast, and descovered that he is a walking tragedy. His mother was the Founderslayer, who killed Nephilim, and his father also served in the military. Both of them died defending the fortress, as well as his uncle, and he even lost his only pet, although I cannot pinpoint the cause.
He told me he would like to build something, and I assigned him the task of constructing a large supply of mechanisms, which hopefully will take his mind off of his situation.

My accomplishments for this year are small. I set out to complete the Curtain Wall, but an entire level of stone remains to be added on the northern end. The southern side has been successfully sealed, however.
Although I did quickly get Nephilim III's office built, and installed a fine table and chair for him, my other infrastructure project lagged far behind. Because most of the raw materials were invested in the walls, only three of the rooms of my expanded warehouse ever received their roof.
Recognizing another impending crisis, I have been forced to abandon strict adherence to the surface, in regard to keeping the livestock alive. Expecting them to need new pasture very soon, I ordered several rooms hollowed out near the course of the stream. Two of them were entirely loose soil, but the third was partially rock, requiring me to prepare an irrigation channel, to allow the moss and cave plants to grow.

When I went to inform Eniteris II that an election was happening today, I found him deeply contemplating herbal remedies. When I finally got his attention, he told me a funny thing. He said that his mind had wandered a few times while he thought, and one of those times, it occurred to him that it seemed that the world had changed somehow in the last year. To him, it felt like the powers of nature had grown weaker, and, funnily enough, thinking about it, I agree.

The save is here:https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15563
Let the campaigning commence!

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: [ELECTION IN PROGRESS] Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #432 on: June 06, 2021, 05:01:50 am »

Good job on another successful term as overseer, fatcat. I would have liked to have made some posts of my own during your turn but real life got in the way. Similarly, the OP is long out of date at this point and needs some good updating that I've been to busy/lazy to devote time to.  :(

But there's no time for self-pity when it's ELECTION TIME!

The dwarves once again assemble in the library to conduct another election. Nephilim III is the first to arise and announce her candidacy: "Fatcat's leadership during the past year has been very effective in paving the way for the true national awakening we should all strive for. Vote for the Patriotic Dwarfist Movement and we will lead Dwarven civilization to a new height in this new age!"

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 10, 2021, 10:37:57 pm »

Fatcat nods gratefully towards Nephilim III.
"Thank you for your positive take on my latest term of leadership. You clearly see more in it than I have been able to. One thing that this last year has brought sharply to my attention is how right you are in your statements of the dangerous point in dwarven history we stand in. The goblins have spread to every corner of the known world, and, while the elves struggle against our allies in the south, the goblins have had no such difficulties. They have forced the few of their kind who sided with us into a tiny enclave deep in the mountains, and have even seized some of the mountainhomes. Although their armies spared us this year, they have been employed in death and ruin elsewhere.

Despite this dire situation, there is room for hope. The conquest of Gristlehates several years ago has been a resounding success, and the latest reports indicate our leadership there has received several bands of hopeful migrants. The assault on the dark pits on the doorstep of the Diamond Dread should be a wakeup call to the greenskins that the dwarves will no longer be helplessly overrun. There is a long road ahead, but, if our leaders wed wisdom and boldness, our ultimate triumph seems likely, despite the overwhelming hoards."

After a moment, Fatcat speaks again, almost as an afterthought,
"We must also continue to improve our own home. The lack of sand here in Goldsilver makes the construction of a glass dome next to impossible. There are a handful of panes of glass prepared, but we will need magnitudes more. I asked the outpost liaison to procure as much sand as he could for us, but the next overseer will still have to purchase it. The warehouses lack their roofs, and the walls remain incomplete, despite my best efforts. Our stocks of loose stone are starting to run low, so a new quarry would probably be advisable. The list goes on and on. I would ask anyone who wishes to lead this fortress to lend their attention to at least some of these concerns, as well as those of dwarfdom as a whole."

This time, Fatcat remains silent, and waits to see if anyone will challenge Nepilim III's bid for leadership.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 13, 2021, 12:49:54 am »

It doesn't seem like there's much enthusiasm in contesting this election. I don't expect their to be too much surprise in the results, but I'll send out a ballot as a formality; the voting shouldn't take all that long.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32