Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 58995 times)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: [ELECTION IN PROGRESS] Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #435 on: June 13, 2021, 11:15:29 pm »

I should have helped by DMing a number of people. Sorry about forgetting to do that.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #436 on: June 14, 2021, 01:10:47 pm »

I should have helped by DMing a number of people. Sorry about forgetting to do that.
It's all right.

The results are what most people probably expected. I'll get to work on a turn soon.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 16, 2021, 03:13:03 am »

Nephilim III's Journal
1st Granite, 260: The election was unanimously in my favor with few votes cast; this fortress has grown complacent, having fallen asleep. I am the one who will wake this fortress up from its slumber. The time is fast approaching for the national reawakening to commence and I will need to take the necessary preparations. War with the elves and the goblins is a present reality. For all of Fatcat's concerns over my resolve to purge the goblins from these northern lands in the previous election, it seems as if she sent a small band of would-be insurrectionists to conquer a site belonging to previously neutral goblin group.

An army will need to be assembled rapidly. One of our militia squads has been occupying a strategically irrelevant fort for multiple years now. No longer; I'm calling them back immediately.

We'll need weapons and armor of exceptional craftsdwarfship and in large quantities if we want to win the war that is ahead of us. The deepest parts of the fortress must be expanded to allow for more permanent and continuous labor in the forges.

When the forging area is expanded, it will also allow us to use up the metal that is clogging up our stockpiles that is not fit for weapons or armor. It seems as if one of the previous overseers has left me with a large surplus of billon. Until this is used up, trade with the humans will be only in special coins minted from the alloy and in whatever existing billon crafts may be lying around.

The tenth anniversary of the fortress is very soon. That will be a fitting occasion to address the dwarves of this fortress.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 16, 2021, 10:04:59 pm »

A note addressed to Nephilim III, Overseer of Goldsilver:

"You expressed some concerns and plans in our government transition meeting yesterday. In the intent of saving you some slight trouble or concern, I will herein attempt to provide you some additional information pertinent to your thoughts.

First of all, you stated a worry that I had betrayed my own concern about unnecessary provocation of the northern goblins. To this I will reply that, according to the latest information I had just received from the outpost liaison, the Diamond Dread was officially at war with our own Civilization before my choice to send the insurrectionists to take their territory. Other potentially important notes on the war are that there are still six settlements controlled by goblins which swear allegiance to the Disloyalty of Guilt, and are at peace with the Dwarven Crown, and also that the Confederacy of Cakes seems to be suffering a civil war, as a government calling themselves the Admired Confederations controls many human settlements, and is at war with us. A side note is that somehow a small band of elves living in a hamlet called Slopshelter seem to oppose the tendency of their race to fight against the Crown, and as yet remain undisturbed. Perhaps there is hope to be found in that.

You also expressed an urgent need for new weapons and armor. Anticipating these, over the previous year, I had the mines for Adamentine expanded for weapons, and the wreck of past goblin sieges has been slowly being melted, some of which might prove useful for armor, at least as raw material for making steel.

Lastly, I feel it is necessary to remind you that the squad dubbed "The Glamor Warriors," currently occupying Grislehates, is composed of mainly mentally troubled citizens. With the improved state of Goldsilver, they may recover if they return, but having them do so is still a risk not to be taken lightly.

This is all I can think of which might be necessary for you to know, so I wish you best of luck in the coming year.

~Fatcat, Holy Wealth of our Lady alil Helpfulmirth
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

CoderBlaze

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 17, 2021, 04:44:51 pm »

Could I be dwarfed? (or dwarved)  :P
Some male dwarf with decent skill in flattery would be preferred.
I won't yet be joining a party, but I'll think about it come election

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 18, 2021, 02:16:37 am »

Could I be dwarfed? (or dwarved)  :P
Some male dwarf with decent skill in flattery would be preferred.
I won't yet be joining a party, but I'll think about it come election
Absolutely.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 18, 2021, 09:41:59 pm »

Nephilim III's Journal
15h Granite, 260: Today I delivered my first major speech as overseer today, on the tenth anniversary of the founding of Goldsilver. In commemoration of this event, I proclaimed that the 15th of Granite shall henceforth be celebrated as Goldsilver Day. In my speech I stressed that the fortress in its current state, though much larger and richer than it was when the first settlers arrived in the virgin lands ten years ago, is ultimately in a state of decay. As the rest of Dwarven civilization crumbles around us, we remain here lying in our piles of shell and bone crafts. Goldsilver is destined for much greater things than this, I told the citizens of this fortress. The time for national reawakening begins now!

"General Plan #1: Suspension of Superfluous Crafts"
Issued by Nephilim III, Overseer of Goldsilver

After instituting Goldsilver Day, I suspended most crafting jobs around the fortress. Those who find themselves out of work as a result of this order will be given work expanding the forges or in a militia squad. We'll need as many soldiers as we can when we launch our expeditions to retake the hillocks to the south. Fatcat sent me a note expressing concern regarding my order recalling the Glamour Warriors to Goldsilver. Perhaps her concerns are well-founded, so I will make sure to redeploy them to a different goblin site as soon as they return.

As the electorate has proven themselves weak and complacent, I announced that it would be expanded with new dwarves admitted to it. A carpenter calling himself CoderBlaze quickly smooth-talked me into letting him in. We'll have to see how he performs in the next election.

OOC EDIT: Does anyone have any idea why the game is saying we have no gabbro to use when we're practically swimming in it?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 12:29:08 am by Travis Bickle »

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 19, 2021, 12:40:54 am »

I... have no idea. People were successfully using it to make blocks during my term.  ???

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 23, 2021, 12:37:56 am »

6th Slate, 260
"General Plan #2: Cancellation of Remaining Work Orders"
Effective immediately, as of the 6th of Slate in the year 260, all existing work orders issued and approved by the manager of Goldsilver are hereby cancelled. Further workshop orders shall be issued directly by the fortress overseer.
Issued by Nephilim III, Overseer of Goldsilver

Nephilim III's Journal
11th Slate, 260: The Glamour Warriors arrived this morning. A brief survey of the state of their unit and a quick interview with Tonnot was enough to confirm that, as Fatcat had informed me, the squad is composed of entirely of criminals and undesirables. Keeping them around in the fortress would be detrimental to its health, so the squad will be quickly supplied with equipment and reinforcements taken from unimportant professions and sent out once more. The Tonnot-era squad name has been replaced by a new label designating the squad's first mission of 260: to retake one of the occupied sites.

Advance Southern Expedition! Retake our Dwarven soil for the glory of our national reawakening!

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 24, 2021, 07:43:26 pm »

Nephilim III's Journal
2nd Felsite, 260: The Southern Expedition has returned and it seems that their first attempt was an absolute failure. They reported not a single goblin killed yet one of their own fell in combat, which if you ask me is a more honorable fate than that of the nine survivors who failed in their mission so miserably. They will be redeployed with a replacement for their fallen comrade as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, one of the mentally deranged members of the fortress has kindly donated a masterpiece of an adamantine spear for the benefit of national reawakening. I shall see to it that this weapon is put to good use.

14th Felsite, 260: A new sort of roaring was heard in the uppermost section of the caverns. It seems that a new beast is roaming the other side of the waters. What military intel we have been able to collect thus far indicates that it is powerful enough to kill off the previous beast who had been inhabiting the area with relative ease.

Beware, creature from the depths, for you have stepped into Goldsilver's territory and sooner or later shall pay the price.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 28, 2021, 03:52:30 am »

Nephilim III's Journal
28th Felsite, 260: The Southern Expedition returned from its second attempt to retake our Dwarven clay today. Baby steps were made towards our goal this time; only two of our soldiers fell and they actually managed to kill three of the goblins. Yet hundreds of goblins still remain occupying our territory. Either the mental cripples and psychos that we're deploying will grow into goblin-killing machines or they'll die trying to take this site over and over as long as I'm in charge. As soon as the squad can be replenished, I'm sending it back out. Forward to victory!

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 30, 2021, 03:31:19 am »

IRL work has been taking up most of my time and with the current FPS being at a snail's pace with my computer's old processor putting out updates alongside gameplay has been difficult. I'll probably try to power through the whole year and take notes/screenshots to post as updates after the fact.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 30, 2021, 12:13:56 pm »

All good. I'm usually setting the slowest pace, so I certainly don't mind if someone else isn't very quick about their turn either. As for the FPS, I'm sure that my surface building is partially to blame, but I was also trying to alleviate it slightly over my turn by dumping vast quantities of wooden goods brought by elven invaders. It might help slightly.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 05, 2021, 03:21:17 am »

I swear I didn't do it on purpose.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll post how it goes tomorrow.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 05, 2021, 12:38:29 pm »

:o
Oh dear. All my work carving around the pillar for nothing. I hope no-one important is down at the forge level, 'cause anyone down there is almost certainly doomed.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32