Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Insula Numine; The Land of Gods (1100AC)  (Read 12812 times)

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
Re: Insula Numine; The Land of Gods (500AC)
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2020, 04:51:16 pm »

Velkos once more lays atop the Ur-Tree, staring into the night sky with a gentle smile on his face.

"There's the stag there, a gentle giant. And the cat beside him, small yet fierce. And there's the leviathan, the lord of the seas, snaking across the night sky. And the gnome is over there, playing his flute while merrily dancing in the stars. And there is the man whose head itself tells the time. There are of course more constellations for the little mortals to discover. Its a shame that the nebula is a bit faint, but it's beautiful nonetheless."

"I was perhaps a bit careless in how i handed out power to the mortals, yet the damage that book could have caused was immeasurable. There was no time to slowly and carefully meter out divine power to give to each and every living being. Freeing mortals from the grasp of predetermined fate was paramount, and that goal was achieved adequately. I could try and mend the instability of the power, yet i believe its better if they learn to tame and harness the magical power without my aid."

"Over the last few centuries, chaos has become the norm in the world. Perhaps something of perfect order is needed to balance it. And what better representation of order is there than a crystal? Seeing so many inanimate things brought to life and given thought has inspired me... to do the exact opposite! The deserts, in which nothing but the unliving can survive, they are still dotted with gargantuan crystals. I am yet to see mortals use the crystals i created, therefore i will! I shall meld nature and crystal to create crystals that grow and move as if they were alive and place them in one of the deserts, to create an entire biome of animate crystal: Trees, plants, creatures, all of it will be crystal."

"Then i will create a race of crystalline beings, tall graceful things. They will be unliving, unfeeling and largely... Unthinking. Instead mechanically following the directives i will lay out for them, with only enough capability for thought to adapt and apply their directives to changing conditions. Their directives will be largely the same as the goals of any peoples."

"When i'm done with that, i shall do something unprecedented. I shall retreat from the stage of gods for a while and live a lifetime as a mortal of one of the races. Not out of some humility but rather out of simple curiosity; to see how the lives of mortals really are. I can always see them, but i'm still distant and removed from their lives. I will not care particularly how that life begins, what happens or how it ends, but i must make sure that no mortal knows that a god walks among them, else the results of my experiment will be worthless."
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2020, 10:12:10 am »

Velkos once more lays atop the Ur-Tree, staring into the night sky with a gentle smile on his face.

"There's the stag there, a gentle giant. And the cat beside him, small yet fierce. And there's the leviathan, the lord of the seas, snaking across the night sky. And the gnome is over there, playing his flute while merrily dancing in the stars. And there is the man whose head itself tells the time. There are of course more constellations for the little mortals to discover. Its a shame that the nebula is a bit faint, but it's beautiful nonetheless."

"I was perhaps a bit careless in how i handed out power to the mortals, yet the damage that book could have caused was immeasurable. There was no time to slowly and carefully meter out divine power to give to each and every living being. Freeing mortals from the grasp of predetermined fate was paramount, and that goal was achieved adequately. I could try and mend the instability of the power, yet i believe its better if they learn to tame and harness the magical power without my aid."

"Over the last few centuries, chaos has become the norm in the world. Perhaps something of perfect order is needed to balance it. And what better representation of order is there than a crystal? Seeing so many inanimate things brought to life and given thought has inspired me... to do the exact opposite! The deserts, in which nothing but the unliving can survive, they are still dotted with gargantuan crystals. I am yet to see mortals use the crystals i created, therefore i will! I shall meld nature and crystal to create crystals that grow and move as if they were alive and place them in one of the deserts, to create an entire biome of animate crystal: Trees, plants, creatures, all of it will be crystal."

"Then i will create a race of crystalline beings, tall graceful things. They will be unliving, unfeeling and largely... Unthinking. Instead mechanically following the directives i will lay out for them, with only enough capability for thought to adapt and apply their directives to changing conditions. Their directives will be largely the same as the goals of any peoples."

"When i'm done with that, i shall do something unprecedented. I shall retreat from the stage of gods for a while and live a lifetime as a mortal of one of the races. Not out of some humility but rather out of simple curiosity; to see how the lives of mortals really are. I can always see them, but i'm still distant and removed from their lives. I will not care particularly how that life begins, what happens or how it ends, but i must make sure that no mortal knows that a god walks among them, else the results of my experiment will be worthless."

“So, let me see...

You’re going to go down there to sacrifice yourself to yourself to appease your own divine anger.

Jesus.” B*st says with a chuckle.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 10:51:51 am by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2020, 10:49:16 am »

At the end of his wild escapade, Gambal arrives in a clearing in the middle of a little grove and it is night. He is a bit weary, and although the need to sleep haven't yet reached him, he lays down in the grass to take a small break. That is when he discovers, for the first in its entirety, the great beauty of the immense nebula filling the sky. In his amazement, his physical consciouness is totally swept away and he departs for an astral journey among the stars. His mind drifts from one luminary to an other and he begins to wish that the celestial bodies would have an effect on mortal beings. He concentrates all his might toward this objective, so that the presence, the light and the moves of the stars of Sol and of Lua start influencing the lives and the fates of mortals. He attempts, in other words, to set in motion astrological principles that will affect all inhabitants of Insula Numine who have finite lives.

So, according to the moment when somebody is born or takes an important action, in relation with the positions of heavenly bodies, a magical pressure would happen and would potentially modify the course of a life or the course of events. For example, a particular Gnome could be more subject to live a tragedy someday, a Geyik could be more inclined to live happily or a Catfolk could fight during a war and have more chances to survive. It would be possible to determine these principles, but only through very lenghty observations of the nocturnal sky, and of the luan and solar cycles, but also of all their impacts on the earthly events and happenings. If his attempt works well, even gods will be unable to understand these astrologic phenomena if they don't take the time to analyse them through time. Except that him, Gambal, would always have an instinctual knowledge of astrology and its effects.

He returns a few years later in more populous regions to have a look at the changes in the life of civilized people. Not much seems different at first glance, but he detects a subtle transformation in some individuals that has, like the stars, the divine signature of Velkos: the godly spark that has given them the capacity to perform magical actions. He laughs heartily when he notices it, as it pleases him very much. He realizes however that many of the powers they received can cause physical damage, so he decides to impart new magic abilities to mortals that aren't harmful in themselves.

Thus, he gives them various faculties to be able to modify, for a limited timespan, the appearance of objects and life beings. For instance, he gives them the power to turn themselves, other people or other things invisible, seemingly larger or smaller than they really are, or just visually different than they are in reality. Also, he gives them the ability to create illusions of alive people, animals or of moving things. But since the ambient magic that Velkos generated is quite unstable, those who will gain such abilities will need to make a lot of efforts and training to become proficient in their using or to extend the duration of their visual deceptions and effects.

Since the Gnome God has spent a considerable amount of energy in the last centuries, he is finally overcome by fatigue. So he returns in the woods and take some time to find a good place to sleep. After a while, he sees a tall oak tree with widespread branches and sinuous roots, between wich he comfortably install himself to enjoy the peacefulness of slumber, a pleasure that is still unknown to him.

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2020, 06:16:56 pm »

Numeros blesses one of the catfolk with infinite knowledge and the power to handle that infinite knowledge. They will be called the Enlightened.

Numeros turns some of the catfolk into disciples of the Enlightened

Numeros creates a temple which can only be destroyed by him for the Enlightened and their disciples

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2020, 07:04:19 pm »

The hair on B*st’s back stands up.

What is he doing now?

Is he actually trying to lift mortals to the same level as gods?  Doesn’t he know that giving omniscience to a mortal will drive them insane?

And, oh, a temple that only he can destroy?!!!

We’ll see about that!”

B*st destroys the temple of the Enlightened.

B*st kills the Enlightened One and their Disciples (preferably while destroying the temple).

B*st coughs up a hairball.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2020, 07:58:24 pm »

7th Turn

Insula Numine grows and diversifies as the Children of Kipp do their work upon it.

Actions of Gods
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Pantheon

The World

Independant Events

Sorry for the long delay. Was very busy IRL.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 08:06:17 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Insula Numine; The Land of Gods (600AC)
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2020, 08:24:38 pm »

Ōkeanós returns to the BelowWorld to find the Ice Fairies have destroyed all of Their work in their wars. They are actually quite pleased by this, as such was surely no easy task. They speak to the Ice Fairies praising them for their determination. Ōkeanós then makes a proclamation.

"You who have destroyed that which I have wrought, I now seek to see that which you can build. Outmatch and outshine each other with great works both aesthetic and practical, works of art and fortitude that will stand the test of time and those who would tear them down. Seek to outdo even my Works in the grandeur and splendor. You were given the gift to control ice and water as other races would tools and arms, you were gifted lives tied to the icy lands around you, and you were gifted the will to decide for yourselves what you wished. I wish to see you grow further still, for you warring is great, but your creativity leaves desire in my icy shell of a body for it to be shown and developed."

So said, Ōkeanós sinks beneath the waves to watch and lead the Merfolk in the development of their own arts, both war and craft, an advisor who sits back and watches proudly.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2020, 09:54:05 pm »

I have to ask how big that ambulatory hairball of doom is.  Keep in mind that B*st (despite her godly status and power) is the same size as an average house cat, with only her unusual coloring giving a hint that she is anything other than an ordinary female tabby...

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2020, 06:49:00 am »

Velkos returns to the Ur-Tree with new insights but quickly becomes appalled by the turns which the world has taken.

"The thought of creating small floating islands crossed my mind more than once, but with Ōkeanós' creation of the Cloudy Strips, i lay those ideas to rest for the time being.
Gambal has returned to the world what i so sought to destroy: Destiny and fate. Yet there are far more pressing matters i must attend to. The fabric of reality itself is starting to fall apart in places. Despite my best attempts to balance order and chaos in the world, it has been plunged far deeper into chaos than i even thought possible, a solution is needed.

I long fear'd that i would produce a failure of great proportions, but the situation with the Crystalline Ones is not it. Its almost the best outcome i could have hoped for, they just need a bit of refinement. But in the end it wasn't me that produced that great failure i so dreaded, but my siblings in their bickering. The time has come for me to create my artifact, it is now needed more than ever.
I only hope Kipp will not hold its creation against me.

Having lived as a mortal, i now recognize how fragile they are, how little they can do against the most dangerous things the world has to offer. The new abhorrent beasts especially."

"The only problem with my Crystalline Ones is that they destroy the crystal glades i so carefully cultivated. I shall alter their directives, to respect and guard the crystal grove and all within it. As such they shall be largely confined to the crystalline grove, and the groves should grow slowly enough to present few problems for mortals before they're ready."

"Living as mortal made me realize how weak they really are, even with my power within them. Yet despite adversity they survive, even thrive in some cases, and reproduce. Having had a taste of that joy myself, i have come up with a way to give mortals just that little bit more power. When i lived among mortals and sired a child, i did so as mortal, but now i shall do so as a god. My Geyiks, unaware of my dislike of being worshiped, still do so, so i might as well reward it.
I shall take one of my most devout female worshipers from among the Geyiks and impregnate her with my offspring... Remotely and magically, of course. I have no intention or interest to copulate with mortals. The child that will be born will be the first of the divine bloodline, and as the firstborn of a god, will have a truly awesome amount of power, more than any mortal can hope to match."

"Finally, i shall move onto the creation of my divine artifact. With the perversion of the laws of reality within several places in this land, something is needed to codify and enforce what i deem to be the fundamental laws of reality. This something, i call "The Keystone"... or "The Keystone of Reality". I will carve upon it in these laws in the language of the gods. The Keystone's primary function shall be to resolve or collapse any anomalies that violate these laws. This will currently include the strange temple superposition... Thing that Numeros and B*st created together, and the "Grove of Distortion", created by Gambal. And i predict it will also refuse the existence of any portals or teleportation.
As a balancing act, the Keystone will have a secondary function: With some effort, it may, once a century, be goaded into bending these laws briefly, by a god or by a mortal with the correct knowledge to do so. This bending of the laws will make it easier to perform feats of great power. It's power will come with a stern warning though: "To misuse the Keystone, either with selfish or petty intentions, is to invite my wrath.""

((OOC: Here's how that functions: The Keystone has one use per century, and will guarantee that the minimum roll of the action that uses the Keystone will be 5. If no god uses the Keystone, it will go to the Independent Actions.
Hopefully making this is OK.

If the last action is too much, split it between the primary function and the secondary one, and drop the first of my actions, the one dealing with the Crystalline, or just drop the Keystone's secondary function, if you're not OK with it.))
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2020, 07:09:33 am »

I have to ask how big that ambulatory hairball of doom is.  Keep in mind that B*st (despite her godly status and power) is the same size as an average house cat, with only her unusual coloring giving a hint that she is anything other than an ordinary female tabby...

It is as big as a regular hairball.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2020, 01:26:32 pm »

Gambal sees that the "Grove of Distortion" is growing uncontrollably and could eventually threaten mortals. He notices too that Velkos is trying to impose laws of reality with his Keystone and he worries about the limitations that they might cause. This brings him the idea to cast another spell on the eldritch tree to make it grow inward intead of outward, with an immense, although not infinite, potential of growth. In other terms, it will grow into itself, creating a weird wooden world that will be slowly expanding from the inside. To the people who will look at the tree, it will be similar to a portal towards another reality, but it will rather be an extension of the world magically spreading inward. However, he attempts to keep the grove out of reach of the power of Velkos's Keystone, creating this way a realm defined by strangeness.

He then tries to alter the chaotic growing of this tree-world, adding more symmetry and estheticism to it. He thus set more orderly rules of growth and work on the appearance of the bizarre "grove", creating beautiful networks of interlaced branches with lively foliage, carving tunnels inside of the wood that stretch and cross in a paradoxal manner, and making round rooms where the many passages join, with walls covered of intricate fractal patterns and embellishments. He lastly give to the whole an appearance that is more like that of a forest, with the posibility for the giant tree to sprout new stems, so he makes it other than just one large mass of warped wood and boughs. But he links all the resulting trees together, by the roots and the branches, producing in fact a single life organism that seems to divide into many.

Thereafter, he visits again the Gnome Fortresses and teaches to their people how to mine and extract the ores that have been generated by Kipp at the end of the fifth century, namely malachite, hematite, native platinum and gold ore. He also shows to the Gnomes techniques of metallurgy and how to mold pretty metal objects, such as jewellery, vessels and figurines. Furthermore, he instruct them on the making of more sophisticated carving tools and the manners to use them, on metals or stones like malachite. But since he isn't a warlike god, he doesn't think about the fact that the Gnomes and the other civilizations will certainly discover through time how to make metal weapons and fight each other with them.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 04:47:28 pm by Yellow Pixel »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2020, 04:06:49 pm »

It is as big as a regular hairball.

That makes it even more hilarious!

B*st stares in disbelief.  First at the "Ambulatory Hairball of Doom", then at the "Schrödinger's Temple".

After a while, she shrugs and says "That'll do.  Didn't mean for the hairball to grow legs, though."

She then sees the creatures tainted by the AHD.

"Oh, Shit! Oh, Shit! Oh, Shit!..."

After racing in circles for a few years, she finally calms down and comes to her senses.

She decides that something must be done to protect the people from these monsters.

Seeing as the gnomes were the first to encounter the corrupted fiends (and the most likely to encounter them again) she decides to see if she can help them.  After some thinking, she realizes that  Gambal's new metals that he has taught them to smelt are just the material she needs...

B*st teaches the gnomes magic that will allow them to bring statues to life.  These statues are unthinking and only able to carry out simple commands from the gnomes.  They are brought to life by inscribing a certain sequence of gnomish runes on their forehead, and be "deactivated" by obliterating one of the runes.  Assuming that they are big enough (at least as large as the Forgotten Beasts) and made of durable enough materials (like say, for example, bronze), they will make the perfect counter to the Beasts.

B*st beats up Numeros, inviting the other gods to join her if they want to.

B*st proposes that a council of the gods be formed to prevent things from getting out of hand in the future.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2020, 04:14:16 pm »

AboveWorld's Problems are AboveWorld's Problems, BelowWorld's Problems are BelowWorld's Problems, UnderSea's Problems are UnderSea's Problems, and SkyLand's Problems are SkyLand's Problems. A Council requires gods to agree, but your solution is more like that of my own creations. And Velkos seems diedicated to maintaining a balance of order and chaos, which I appreciate.

I would also name the subterranean AboveWorld UnderGround. That book that was created seems lax on naming.

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2020, 06:36:14 pm »

"You have done nothing but create destruction B*st. You must pay for your actions"
Numeros creates a giant magic shield to defend himself with

Numeros uses the shield to disable B*st

"Ōkeanós will you aid me in showing B*st the error of their ways?"
Numeros tries to free the disciples by trapping the essence of uncertainty in a bottle

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2020, 09:27:13 am »

((As B*st proposes, I think it would be nice to organize councils of the gods to settle disputes, discuss about the world situation and planify our next actions, but only every 500 years. That way, it wouldn't slow down the game too much and the councils could prevent constant counteracting between the gods. The first god to talk could be the highest ranked in the pantheon, but wouldn't be considered superior to the others. Also, B*st could use his actual third action to build the site where the councils would take place and the first council could happen at the turn of the first millenium.))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13