Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Spookyfort: Inheritance  (Read 25981 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Crystallake: A Halloween Spookyfort! Overseers welcome!
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2020, 02:23:44 pm »

Assuming I survive the turns to come, I'll take a turn, though word of warning: I'm an incredibly boring, cautious player more often than not.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2020, 02:28:12 pm »

My computer's running again, I got the new cord last night. I might be able to play for a while today/tomorrow.

By the way, that drawing reminded me of the art style of a certain mspa game running on the mspa forums. It was all about crazy tentacled creatures from the deep overtaking and then fleeing from the earth.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:30:08 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2020, 07:04:25 pm »

Assuming I survive the turns to come, I'll take a turn, though word of warning: I'm an incredibly boring, cautious player more often than not.

Crystallake is the place to get out of your comfort zone and play dangerously. Or not, whatever you find fun! I'll add you to the roster.

My computer's running again, I got the new cord last night. I might be able to play for a while today/tomorrow.

Awesome - looking forward to your turn.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2020, 08:57:37 pm »

Crystallake is the place to get out of your comfort zone and play dangerously. Or not, whatever you find fun! I'll add you to the roster.

Yeah but if you play too dangerously nobody else will wanna come to the attractions! And nobody signing up for a stay means possible legal headaches back home, and nobody wants that. Accusations of foul play and getting bogged down in legal proceedings are never good for any enterprise or its reputation. Especially not when those proceedings concern visitors and staff who may or may not have suffered some... Minor injuries?

Yeah. Minor injuries. We'll go with that.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2020, 03:30:01 am »

I'll sign up for a turn.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2020, 06:25:56 pm »

I've finished my turn and will upload tonight. Horrible things did indeed happen, and the population did go down again, but things are kinda stable.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2020, 09:03:15 pm »

I'll sign up for a turn.

Cool, I'll add you to the roster.

I've finished my turn and will upload tonight. Horrible things did indeed happen, and the population did go down again, but things are kinda stable.

Looking forward to hearing about it. Did you help us progress in your mod?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2020, 11:55:48 pm »

I did. I will have to post a proper journal tomorrow, unfortunately, because while DFFD is working fine, imgur is not, and so I have no pictures.

Here is the save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15246

[edit]

Journal of 'Eric' Oltarakmam (Giltsunken)

I've been here a couple years now, and frankly I'm more than a little miffed with the previous overseers' administrations. So now I've taken the responsibility myself. This place is run worse than any other fort I've ever visited. Really, it's not much of a fort. There's only twelves dwarves here, The militia commander, Splint, doesn't even have a squad or any captains under his command. So first order of business; We're all getting drafted. Me too. Of all things I don't want to be caught unarmed by the next cavern freak to crawl in here, too many been killed that way. Speaking of which;

This imbecile, Ender, and his freak-on-a-leash business. Gotta figure out what to do about that. You can't leave an untame-able wild creature on a leash and expect nothing to go wrong, no matter how skeptical you think you are. Stupid is the proper term there. So I'm drafting up a holding area for critters like this we catch, where we can attempt to tame them. Gonna put that tame essence in there too, maybe the alchemist can figure out what it's good for.

20th Felsite, 670

I also tire of the reliance on coal-fueled smithing, considering we do have magma available. So I'm having the miners draw up some magma forges down by the sea. Asked them to make sure the channels into the magma are covered so critters don't get at us from down there, too.

4th Hematite, 670

Disaster again, sadly on my watch, but fortunately we were a little, if not well enough prepared.

The freak-on-a-leash gave birth to another freak, and it immediately killed 'Zan' and Thob, the raccoon familiar, before any of us could get down there and wrestle it into submission and kill it.
The expedition leader, Ber, was the one to put it down with her short sword, but her, morul and stodir all took some serious injuries during the fighting. I've drafted Ender as a doctor's assistant, so he can personally oversee the wounds his foolishness has caused. Should have made him bury Zan too, but someone else already hauled the body off to the mortuary.

13th Hematite 670

The injured are mostly back on their feet, sans Ber. Stodir was the first to get up and he's in pretty good moo-

He's got some new body parts. Tentacles, mouth tendril, extra eye clusters all over the place. Yeah, good condition I'd say. Feeling better than ever he says. Gonna go to training, shape up for the next fight.

We're killing that damn sightless thing before it has the chance to break free or give birth to more of the freaks. If I remember right, Morul said Stodir got stung by it. We'll be careful to avoid the stinger for sure.

16th Hematite, 670

Sightless is dead, we took a few minor beatings but nobody else died. Ender participated in the killing. A human caravan has arrived.

That means the undead up on the surface left of their own volition. Well, all except one rhesus macaque corpse, but Splint put that down without issue.

I wish I could say our dealings with the humans were amicable, but the bastards demanded way too much extra "Profit" so I confiscated some goods. About ☼40k worth. Weapons mostly, but also some of those essences the alchemist hasn't had much luck replicating, food, drinks, splints and crutches and thread for the hospital.

So I told the cooks to put all the essences in the stew pot like the inscribed slate describes and make a bunch of roasts out of them. We'll see how that fares. In the meantime none of the food's getting hauled downstairs, as the guys put it "there's no room in the stockpile!" So I'm having the miners expand the good stockpile while we store everything in in the dining room temporarily.

Stodir's really doing okay, all things considered. But he's not been participating in any actual work. Only doing personal drills in the temple barracks. Not even wearing any armor or weapons. Still eats and drinks just fine, though. I've told Ender no more crazies on the chains until we can get an animal trainer in to prove a critter is actually tame.

Oh, the year's up, huh? Hopefully someone else can take over then. I'm exhausted.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:47:13 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2020, 12:00:08 am »

Cool, I'm having trouble with Imgur currently as well... Salmeuk, feel like doing the Monster Mash?

EDIT: I took a peek at the save and the first thing I noticed was a full stockpile of dwarven corpses. Things seem to have gone well.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 12:06:23 am by delphonso »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2020, 01:29:06 am »

.. I'll take my turn. Journal in next couple of days. Time to set a new ghost high score!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2020, 05:12:35 am »

I will assume I am among the dead, and have my estate begin taking legal action for criminal negligence.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2020, 07:37:56 am »

I will assume I am among the dead, and have my estate begin taking legal action for criminal negligence.
You'll never get in front of a judge. We'll keep your attorney running circles for months.

Time to set a new ghost high score!

Can't wait!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2020, 01:01:04 am »

Not so fast look here:

You're perfectly fine - save the legal action for later. actually save it though you're going to need it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scene: sometime in late winter, in the muddied room used to grow fungus and algae used to feed the 'workers'

.  .  .

PLUMP HELMET: *shudders oddly*

.  .  .

SPOOKY MALE NARRATOR 1:
FROM BEHIND THAT SHUDDERING PLUMP HELMET RiSES A GHASTLY FIGURE, SOME KIND OF RAT-

THOB, GHOSTLY RAT: I am a racoon, thank you!

SPOOKY MALE NARRATOR 1: -RiSES UP A GHASTLY FIGURE, SOME KIND OF RAT-COON SPECTRE, DAMNED TO HAUNT THE CURSED SKULL FORTRESS OF CRYSTALLAKE!

THOB, GHOSTLY RATCOON: no please get it right racoon one word no T no anything just racoon

SPOOKY MALE NARRATOR 1: THOB THE GHOSTLY RACOON-

THOB, GHOSTLY RACOON: thanks

SPOOKY MALE NARRATOR 1: -HAS ONLY ONE GOAL, AND ONE GOAL ONLY. YOU COULD CALL IT A GHOUL ACTUALLY AND IT WOULD BE A PUN ON THE FACT THAT THOB I-

.  .  .

.  .  .

SPOOKY MALE NARRATOR 1 was thus murdered by Thob to save the rest of you the trouble

Thob was not a very nice racoon. And he was now very angry that he was dead. Alive, he pushed thing for dwarf, a lot of thing, and brought this thing over here and that thing over there. It was tiring, doing that for your entire racoon life, so he wasn't really that angry about being dead, you know? He was just frustrated that literally no one bothered to memorialize him, after all this time. Someone owned him as a named pet, and they didn't think to like carve his name in a rock or something? At the very least?

He hated those damn fatbeards for their disgusting barrels, always leaving them strewn about the hallway. They would be half-empty, reek of alcohol and spit, and be covered in the greasy remnants of some dwarfs fried-lard mushroom cheese bake or whatever. Just disgusting! And the kicker? These creatures didn't even wash their food in random puddles before eating it. Unhygenic and unfashionable, let me tell you!

So he had a plan. Ghost insurrection. I know, not very original, but at the end of the day, Thob was just a trained racoon who was also quite dead and really didn't know what to think about the whole situation. No racoon ever had existential thoughts, those lucky bastards, and so Thob only had one card to play, really. Vengeful Spirit type shit, you know, VHS tapes and spooky well dwarves.

If Thob could make a few key adjustments to the fortress, it should cause a mass resurrection, albeit of only the matterless forms that the ghosts might assume.

So, lock the bodies away from the fat ones, so they can't be buried:

And topple their cemetary, make it look like an accident, then fill it with shiny shit and they will forget about fixing it:

Oh nice, it's already working:

. . .

Ghost count is 3.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2020, 01:22:41 am »

Holy shit, a fort I decide to poke into suffers mass casualties a wave of tragic workplace incidents and I'm actually alive? How the hell did that happen?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2020, 02:14:47 am »

Eric Blank, think you'll put up the screenshots of what happened? I'm beyond curious.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15