Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 62

Author Topic: Bastard Paranormal 3 - Game over! 4 Exterminators Escaped!  (Read 63740 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Bastard Paranormal 3 - Game over! 4 Exterminators Escaped!
« Reply #855 on: December 20, 2020, 10:37:34 am »

There were also...over 800 PMs that got exchanged through this game. I'd post them all, but that would be a bit excessive. It'd be nice if people would share their stories, either via posting relevant PMs or just a synopsis. Lots of this game happened via PMs.

In hindsight, I should have set up a quicktopic for each player once we moved over to the Freeform RPG part of the game. That would have made things much easier, and way easier to share at the end of the game.

Overall, this was fun but exhausting for me to run. It was also an interesting experiment working with roseheart on the art. It wasn't as smooth as we'd hoped, but I think it added a nice touch to everything!

I hope you all had fun playing as well!

It's funny to think this collaboration grew out of some fan art from the last The Thing inspired (non-bastard) paranormal mafia. However 'integral' my art was to this session, while a matter of opinion and maybe even taste, was larger than first envisioned for sure. Especially at the beginning when interactions remained mostly in the thread and I could follow along I was invited to help with a lot of the planning which was pretty cool! And I think it resulted in some cool panels too.

I look forward to working with Mephansteras again soon when I host my vanilla mafia. I'm not sure if there will be any art as I will be doing the heavy lifting, but Meph has offered to help with the writing, so look forward to that.

I'd also like to plug my game Tribe, which is a Mafia-like game, and the current session is just about to wrap up. So this could be a chance to see what my hosting style is like, and something more bastard like, like this game. That will probably start in about two weeks.

As for my contributing art again. Well I'm always down for Bastard Paranormal 4.
Awesome With Autism

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #856 on: December 20, 2020, 11:04:38 am »

Oh it's done.

I gotta say I had fun even if I died at the end. But one thing I want to make clear to Jim is that I didn't pull out my pistol to shoot you. I pulled it out because what the comm guy said. If I was planning to kill you I would've done that action in PM.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 20, 2020, 02:01:35 pm »

The reason being that each of us were trying to avoid the main conflict of everyone dying.
Let me express my frustrations.
Unlike you, I don't like to have blind faith in random people at the start of a game when some players could easily be an antagonistic faction. You know how absolutely terrible your pacifistic buddy pile would have been with 4mask and Jim if there were actual corporate exterminators? I was doing everything in my power to win this game, without blind luck. For the first couple phases I played how you should have, maybe it wasn't the right call and I definitely should have at least got an overview of the station, but what my paranoid did let me confirm is that nobody left alive was playing the game!
Throughout Truce Phase 2 I considered every possibility I could think of. On Hunt Phase 2 I found Jim's mind shield and nobody tried to night kill. Even though Caz didn't cough up anything, everybody else did which confirms at the very least she didn't night kill, although I was still wary of her trying to trick us with tech stuff which ends up making me lose?? Once I properly deduced I could trust everybody but Caz, I was fully onboard "freeform RPG" and tried everything I could with Meph.
I'm not very good at role-playing so I didn't have the INGENIOUS IDEA to change my wincon after dying, not that myself or Luckyowl would even have the chance to. Let me illustrate what Meph's thought process probably was for this:
Webadict "Damn I died after completely guessing what the game setup was at the start of the game, good thing I was actually right and can rub it in everyone's faces! Hey Meph can I change my wincon to something other than survival?"
Meph "....Sure."
Meph thinks how this could affect their game, coming up with the idea of attaching a ghost's wincon to one living player's survival to make it more balanced.
Meph "You can win if someone else living wins."
Webadict "Great, if Jim wins I win!"
He turns around and faces everybody who's dead.
Webadict "Everybody, side with Jim, because I said so."
Ghosts "Okay."
Meph "Wait, on second thought this might be brok-"
Webadict "NO TAKE BACKS"

9/11 free wins with no opposing force besides player's IRL paranoia and a strike squad that rolls 1s? How can victory or failure in this game be truly placed? Somebody who does (or doesn't) contribute much, but guesses right? Somebody who does (or doesn't) contribute much, but is lucky? Somebody who does (or doesn't) contribute much, but dies early? Somebody who does (or doesn't) contribute much, but dies late?

Well I'm always down for Bastard Paranormal 4.
...Nooooo......

What's the stuff in dead chat about the psychic presence in the mines?
No clue, never made it there. I sensed a psychic presence there as a ghost.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 02:57:32 pm by ToonyMan »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: December 20, 2020, 03:11:49 pm »

The reason being that each of us were trying to avoid the main conflict of everyone dying.
Unlike you, I don't like to have blind faith in random people at the start of a game when some players could easily be an antagonistic faction. You know how absolutely terrible your pacifistic buddy pile would have been with 4mask and Jim if their were actual corporate exterminators?
Probably really bad! But, if you don't put trust in someone, is it really a Mafia game? Having my trust be rewarded or betrayed is part of the thrill! 4mask and Jim rewarded my trust and you and Caz betrayed it. I mean, that's just how my playstyle works. Find someone to trust and follow them. Even if it's off a bridge! And if that's what happens, then next time I just have to be better about not picking the bridge jumper!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 20, 2020, 03:14:26 pm »

9/11 free wins with no opposing force besides player's IRL paranoia and a strike squad that rolls 1s? How can victory or failure in this game be truly placed? Somebody who does (or doesn't) contribute much, but guesses right? Somebody who does (or doesn't) contribute much, but is lucky? Somebody who does (or doesn't) contribute much, but dies early? Somebody who does (or doesn't) contribute much, but dies late?
Have you tried changing your wincon... Postgame?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: December 20, 2020, 03:21:17 pm »

Unlike you, I don't like to have blind faith in random people at the start of a game when some players could easily be an antagonistic faction. You know how absolutely terrible your pacifistic buddy pile would have been with 4mask and Jim if their were actual corporate exterminators?
Probably really bad! But, if you don't put trust in someone, is it really a Mafia game? Having my trust be rewarded or betrayed is part of the thrill! 4mask and Jim rewarded my trust and you and Caz betrayed it. I mean, that's just how my playstyle works. Find someone to trust and follow them. Even if it's off a bridge! And if that's what happens, then next time I just have to be better about not picking the bridge jumper!
If you really trusted everybody, why didn't you and 4mask contact me and Caz in private earlier? Instead of threatening everyone publicly at the point in the game where nobody has any KOR or security?

Have you tried changing your wincon... Postgame?
What's the point if I already know the answer.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: December 20, 2020, 03:24:22 pm »

Also, webadict's plasma bomb is a storied character in this game, so make sure it appears somewhere as well.

Also get Meph in there as well. It could not have been a small amount of work being the moderator for this game.

You may spread your KOR among different players' suggestions, but please only 1 unique suggestion per person.

Oh, now we have rules?

Yuh huh.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 03:30:25 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: December 20, 2020, 03:29:07 pm »

I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: December 20, 2020, 04:12:43 pm »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: December 20, 2020, 04:13:08 pm »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: December 20, 2020, 04:35:07 pm »

If you really trusted everybody, why didn't you and 4mask contact me and Caz in private earlier? Instead of threatening everyone publicly at the point in the game where nobody has any KOR or security?
My thought process is that contacting you privately would only withhold information from other people that I trusted. Plus, I assumed you would think it's more suspicious to PM you. I didn't see where it would go if you were already mega-paranoid.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: December 20, 2020, 04:48:45 pm »

you and Caz betrayed it.

Expecting to be trusted while you're spending your time trying to below everyone up is really funny.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: December 20, 2020, 05:07:51 pm »

you and Caz betrayed it.

Expecting to be trusted while you're spending your time trying to below everyone up is really funny.
Fair, but did that justify juicebox and 4maskwolf dying, too? I honestly believe that you both would have killed me regardless of my actions, specifically because those two died, both of whom had done nothing to warrant untrustworthiness, no?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: December 20, 2020, 05:15:19 pm »

<Snip>
Let me illustrate what Meph's thought process probably was for this:
Webadict "Damn I died after completely guessing what the game setup was at the start of the game, good thing I was actually right and can rub it in everyone's faces! Hey Meph can I change my wincon to something other than survival?"
Meph "....Sure."
Meph thinks how this could affect their game, coming up with the idea of attaching a ghost's wincon to one living player's survival to make it more balanced.
Meph "You can win if someone else living wins."
Webadict "Great, if Jim wins I win!"
He turns around and faces everybody who's dead.
Webadict "Everybody, side with Jim, because I said so."
Ghosts "Okay."
Meph "Wait, on second thought this might be brok-"
Webadict "NO TAKE BACKS"

More accurately, it went something like this:

Web: I want to change my win condition

Me: Ok, it has to be something that can fail

Web: I want to win if Jim wins

Me: Ok, that's fine. If Jim dies you lose, and that could easily happen.

The fact that all the dead went along with it (and some didn't even try to change their win condition) was mostly just lucky for Web. I mean, if one of them decided that their win condition was now 'Jim Dies' that could have screwed things up for both Web and Jim.

From a pure Meta perspective, it was balanced. It's a bastard game! Anyone could win. All of you could win. All of you could lose!

As it is, only 6 people actually won. And the four who lived realistically won more than the ghosts. Although they might enjoy haunting an abandoned mining station. Hard to tell.

The ghosts who lost but did the merging and whatnot still lost, they just get to feel better about it and I guess in that universe get a better afterlife/reincarnation or whatever for selflessly trying to aid some of the living.

As far as contributions go towards winning, I mean, you can be a completely useless townie in a normal Mafia game and win just as much as the players who properly suss out the scum and win the game. Or be the one useless scum team member who manages to somehow live to the end and win with the rest of the scum team who actually played well. Mafia has never been about rewarding good play. You can play great and still lose. It's about teams winning. (Even, occasionally, a team of 1)

In this game, it just so happened that the teams had to be formed by the players instead of me at the start.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: December 20, 2020, 05:30:08 pm »

Meanwhile, first to speak up, first to die. C'est la vie.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 62