Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 100855 times)

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #330 on: December 26, 2020, 12:14:52 pm »

Owl: Don't ignore my questions, please.
And don't WIFOM me. "Scum!me wouldn't act like this because X" is a bad reason. Scum!you knows this, and is free to act like that to try to act like Town!you.

Woah there, buddy. All those exclamation points putting me on edge. Right, if what I said is just me trying to act town. Then why should you trust what anyone else had said? This is my issue with townread and I sort of just want to break the meta so this will honestly be my play style going in. That's if the Mafia plans to kill me tonight or maybe I get lynch somehow. Who knows we got 3 days or so.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 26, 2020, 12:23:03 pm »

Jim:  Why is Day 1 so exhausting to you if all you've done is push for a lynch on IcyTea for self-voting?

Not shown in thread is me typing up responses for four hours last night complaining about how tedious the game is and never finishing because more and more walls of texts keep getting posted.

The answer to your question is TEDIUM.

TEDIUM TEDIUM TEDIUM.

SO MUCH OF IT.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 26, 2020, 12:23:55 pm »

Toaster: You're right. I'm not really helping just trying to show how townie I am. And what's wrong with trust me? If I hadn't said that would you have trust me? I think you're just overthinking such a small habit word I said. Like honestly. But yeah I tend to play like this early on and in day 2 contribute on the conversation with actual evidence to talk about.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 26, 2020, 12:29:22 pm »

Is...is everyone jesters? Holy shit.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 26, 2020, 12:34:05 pm »

W-what? I'm not the jester! Y-your the jester!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 26, 2020, 12:35:16 pm »

Let's see what I've missed. it shouldn't be too bad since it's the holi- Ohmygosh it's five pages.
Welp, catch-up time I guess.
Fair enough. I don't expect players to be very active on a holiday.

Got all weekend now though.

Jim:  Why is Day 1 so exhausting to you if all you've done is push for a lynch on IcyTea for self-voting?
Not shown in thread is me typing up responses for four hours last night complaining about how tedious the game is and never finishing because more and more walls of texts keep getting posted.
The answer to your question is TEDIUM.
TEDIUM TEDIUM TEDIUM.
SO MUCH OF IT.
Uwaaah it's so haaaard uuwaaaah.

Toaster: You're right. I'm not really helping just trying to show how townie I am. And what's wrong with trust me?
What?

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - We're Just Getting Started
« Reply #336 on: December 26, 2020, 12:36:19 pm »

In a game of mafia where the town is doing badly, who is more likely to know what's going on and lead the town to victory:

The group of 4 people?

I would say the two person group is more likely to know what's going on. That being said, whether they can lead the town to victory depends first on how many scum are in said group, and also whether they can convince the rest of the town to vote with them

On the other hand, the four person group is less likely to know what's going on, and it's more likely that there is at least on scum in the group, but it's also more likely that they get overridden by the others in the group. They are also much more likely to be able to get the vote going their way

All in all this is a really broad question and there are a number of factors that could tip the answer one way or the other.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - We're Just Getting Started
« Reply #337 on: December 26, 2020, 12:43:14 pm »

Quote from: IcyTea31 link=topic=177586.msg8226803#msg8226803 date=160888896

[quote author=juicebox link=topic=177586.msg8226753#msg8226753 date=1608872177
That's a good question. I have three theories:

1. Your self-vote has something to do with one of your abilities
2. You want to see how we react to your self vote to hopefully gain information
3. You just want to add to the shenanigans
Interesting theories. Which one do you think is most likely? Which alignment would you associate theory #3 with?
[/quote]

As I expressed in my above post, I think it's most likely two. I don't think #3 is necessarily alignment indicative, considering it was your first post and also the kind of game this is. However the more you continue to do it the more antitown it becomes.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 26, 2020, 12:45:44 pm »

Roles might not be alignment-indicative, but I'll say the role name is a really damning one.
That bit I underlined: you really think a role name a player submitted before the game started is going to have any influence on their alignment?
This was a breadcrumb to tell that I knew what was in the contract before its real text was posted, because the name in question literally is damning. If you read the whole sentence, you'd know I don't. Is looking for "slips" all you do on D1?

In fact, if you care who I suspect and where my vote is so much, let's put it on you: Toaster. If you're not going to develop your cases to ascertain their truths and don't even care about figuring out factual matters, I don't see how your mindset is in anyway town-sided.

IcyTea:
And "protected by the fact of being town" makes no sense.
Only if you don't care about whether I factually am town or not. Which a town player should.
I'm going to need you to explain that statement to me then, because I still don't understand what you're getting at here.

If the fact that your current target is town means nothing to you, you're scum, plain and simple.

If I ignored everything I haven't read since I went to bed last night would I actually miss anything?
You'd lose the game. Is that a thing you care about? Seriously, what kind of game would interest you enough not to dismiss it as "tedious"?

IcyTea just ignored my question, and Toaster wonders why I care? I think the hats are actually kind of important to someone.
This question?
Pain so far.. Dolores, Icytea. Do you guys have Hats?
If I tell the truth, I give scum an information advantage against me. If I lie, I damage the picture town is trying to build. Unless there's a good reason that will give town a greater advantage, I dismiss questions like this as a matter of course.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 26, 2020, 12:46:16 pm »

Is this your claim post?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 26, 2020, 12:49:31 pm »

An interesting take, but why take so long to post it Icytea? Didn't bold it before, but two of us have already given that information. Wouldn't knowing it be important?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 26, 2020, 01:17:01 pm »

An interesting take, but why take so long to post it Icytea?
Because that's what dismissing a question means. I just made note of the rolefishing and moved on until you made it into an issue.

Wouldn't knowing it be important?
Sure, to the scum team it would. Why is it important to you?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 26, 2020, 01:19:25 pm »

Spoiler: FoU Quote (click to show/hide)
I think it does gain me stuff. For example, I now know that you don't believe that you can get anything useful done in the night game. I suppose this leaves such "cunning gambits" as threatening people with fries and making yourself a target.
One of the bandwagon targets, even.
Who I seem to be questioning.
Which seems related to a current wagon to me.
And you didn't even answer it. I want to know how you'll know how to use your abilities, in this case by finding the "something like a mayor" to protect, when you're relying on the night game and gambits. But by now you've answered it well enough I think: People who draw your ire by attacking you get hit with soggy fries.

The other half is that I've spent months occasionally wondering what success rates people have with cop and doc abilities and a starter question seemed a perfect time to ask.

IcyT:
I still find it strange that two contracts have been sent though. Usually you can only use an ability once per phase, but I wouldn't put it past the mafia to coordinate something funky.
I'm more concerned that it seems to be a double-targeting killing ability. I think the sender is more likely an SK than mafia, actually.
[/quote]Explain the SK reasoning please. I read the posted options and think of an investigator or role-block, with a possible ability graft or killing as a fall-back option.

Jim: I asked you a question too, on why you would rather hammer an end a productive D1 instead of lurking.

Luckyowl, I don't even think you're scum particularly, but you responded to me and still haven't answered any my questions.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 26, 2020, 01:27:26 pm »

An interesting take, but why take so long to post it Icytea?
Because that's what dismissing a question means. I just made note of the rolefishing and moved on until you made it into an issue.

Wouldn't knowing it be important?
Sure, to the scum team it would. Why is it important to you?

Well, no reason to hold back I suppose. You either have the Brewing Hat, Ice Hat, or Dweller Mask. 2 out of three of those are immediately useful for the Night Phase. Dolores has the Time Stop Hat. One guess why I know this Icytea. This is a bit early, but managing to find 2 out of 15 people is pretty decent. I asked Webadict if I can get them through being given them, but otherwise the only way to collect them is death.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 26, 2020, 01:43:54 pm »

Is this your claim post?
No. I'm annoyed by the amount of openly anti-town behavior.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 122