Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Valheim - Survivaling the norse way!  (Read 7287 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Valheim - Survivaling the norse way!
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2021, 12:28:51 am »

My couple of friends agreed to get naked (no risk of losing equipment) and hop onto a crappy raft to venture out into open ocean. We took with us only some meager food supplies and our desire for adventure.

And everything was going swimmingly for a while. The wind changed and was with us soon after we got out into the water, and we could have safely landed on the next island over. But of course we weren't going to be satisfied until something big and scary came to eat us, so we drifted back out into open ocean again as night fell.

And sure enough, the big scary appeared. Having little to lose, I jumped in and punched it. It ate our boat. Then it ate me. It was a good time.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2021, 02:36:35 pm »

Tower is done at Harbor Town
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also expanded the main island with a portal hub and roofed most of it.
South pier for longships
Night shot from shore when most of my torches where out.  Also seagulls like docks.
This whole thing just... happened.

Gunna have to spend awhile cleaning it up.  That side the water actually is lower/more variable than the other side where I already have 2 sunken bridges.  I would have had to make the bridge lower and even then half the time the bridge would have been above the water, unless the tide was up.  You could get a boat over then but would have to swim.  So made a bridge that a Karve can fit through.

There's also a portal near spawn that will take you to Harbor Town, if anyone's interested in visiting.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2021, 02:44:00 pm »

TIL that you can parry trolls, which is both hilarious to watch and stupidly broken as they have a rather long stagger animation which lets you get in several good hits making them fairly trivial to fight, even if there's not much space to kite or dodge.

Also wolves are pretty damn nasty, and there doesn't seem to be much in the mountain biome besides them, which is kinda disappointing, was hoping for some more plants or ores or something.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2021, 02:52:14 pm »

TIL that you can parry trolls, which is both hilarious to watch and stupidly broken as they have a rather long stagger animation which lets you get in several good hits making them fairly trivial to fight, even if there's not much space to kite or dodge.
Yeah, trolls are in this weird middle ground where they're a pretty scary enemy that you're practically required to kite with ranged weapons... until you get decent metal equipment. A wooden shield doesn't do it for parrying them, but go a grade up from there and you're pretty much set.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2021, 02:56:19 pm »

You'll get swarmed by wolves at night in mountains just like you'll get swarmed by Greydwarves at night in Black Forest.  Just head up there during the day and you'll get drake spawns instead, with the occasional wolf.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2021, 03:09:51 pm »

Wait there's drakes? I'm guessing you need something more than bronze gear to fight those :C

Prolly about time I tried moving up the tech tree then, got most stuff from the bronze part of it so far, not much else to do. Might have to build a more established base on the Elders island tho.

Also is there more to the ocean part of crafting later on? I've got a bunch of the chitin stuff but the two things I got from it don't seem particularly good, maybe the harpoon and mostly for the utility I guess. Not sure if it can deal with leeches and the like better, might have to give it a try soon as well.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2021, 05:24:20 pm »

Am I gonna have to progress to the point where I can access stone buildings in order to build a decent port? Because trying to build out into the water is hell itself, especially when it comes to keeping structures supported.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2021, 08:36:18 pm »

I just run up and stab the trolls with my spear, and roll through their attacks. Spears hit them so hard that I rarely need to roll more than once.

Also wolves are pretty damn nasty, and there doesn't seem to be much in the mountain biome besides them, which is kinda disappointing, was hoping for some more plants or ores or something.

Wolves hit hard, but don't have a lot of health. You can usually 1-shot them with a stealthy bow shot, or just block and counterattack if you have a decent shield and plenty of stamina. Running through the mountains and alerting a pack of wolves to attack you all at once when you are tired from sprinting is a sure death.

Am I gonna have to progress to the point where I can access stone buildings in order to build a decent port? Because trying to build out into the water is hell itself, especially when it comes to keeping structures supported.

Core Wood makes long/tall pieces which are ideal for creating support in fairly deep water. Pro-tip: build a half-wall underneath your horizontal beams, and you will then be able to snap a vertical beam to the side of the half-wall, allowing you to build out and down without getting wet.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2021, 01:47:03 am »

Consider getting the mod Valheim plus, You can freely move blocks around with the arrow keys so you could place a supporting beam ontop of the dock where you want it and then lower it down

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2021, 04:56:08 am »

Also is there more to the ocean part of crafting later on? I've got a bunch of the chitin stuff but the two things I got from it don't seem particularly good, maybe the harpoon and mostly for the utility I guess. Not sure if it can deal with leeches and the like better, might have to give it a try soon as well.
There's the scales from serpents, which is used to make the silver-tier equivalent tower shield. Beyond that, nothing but the serpent meat for the top tier foods, plus the harpoon and knife from chitin.

Hopefully oceans get some expansion later, since they're a little barren right now. Maybe some deep sea fishing options? Go hook a swordfish, and fight it as it drags your boat around, desperately hoping you don't get pulled into range of a serpent.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2021, 06:54:18 am »

Core wood is from pines, by the way. I just discovered them yesterday. They're a bit easy to miss, I don't generally go chopping wood in hostile territory ;)
Love, scriver~

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2021, 09:37:09 am »

Developing oceans more is indeed on the dev's roadmap: https://www.pcgamer.com/valheim-roadmap/
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2021, 05:19:01 pm »

This might have been mentioned earlier, but I happened upon a thread on Reddit that warns against excess terrain deformation and megabases. Evidently the game handles saving your edits to the world in an odd way: every time you load up the game, move into an area, whatever, it first loads the world's default state, then loads all of the changes you've made--digging, building, and so forth--over top of that default state. The end result is the game becomes laggier and laggier the more changes you make in one area.

The thread's here if ya'll are interested in reading it, but until this issue is addressed, I'd recommend against trying to level mountains or build obscenely large forts, as it can really kill your performance after a certain point.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2021, 03:00:30 am »

So, I was fighting a troll earlier, shooting it with a bow and I noticed something interesting : when I shot his crotch, he seemed to take more damage and to be briefly stunned, visibly reeling in pain, making it much easier to kill. I didn't fight any other trolls since then so I couldn't reiterate the experience, but has anyone else noticed this ? Do other large enemies have weak spots ?

[edit:] Tried it again, didn't seem to work...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 04:11:30 am by Sirian »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2021, 06:07:03 am »

There's no critical hit box on enemies to my knowledge. Hitting something in the center of mass is the same as hitting it with a headshot.

Interesting news about the map modification effects on the loading system. That sounds to my untrained sensibilities like it might be a very hard thing to change in the core code of the game, and therefore make many megaprojects and old community servers a bit of a hassle to maintain. Especially if you fight the golems with a pickaxe, where a miss means another chunk of modified map terrain, not to mention the extensive mining operations needed for silver.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6