Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Valheim - Survivaling the norse way!  (Read 7289 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Valheim - Survivaling the norse way!
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2021, 11:55:25 am »

For indoor fire I just made a raised roof section with open sides for the smoke to exhaust, directly over the fire. The smoke system fills from the top down so if it has a hole at the top to exit then your room shouldn't fill.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2021, 12:29:46 pm »

Also there seems to be a max amount of smoke, and a set time for dissipation.  My current keeps attic fills with smoke from 3 hearths and that's it, it just fills smoke into the ceiling.  It was an experiment to see if I needed a chimney for that building.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2021, 04:13:12 pm »

Further to the respawn question:

Flint, small rocks, harvestable plants such as raspberry bushes, thistles, or mushrooms, and mobs respawn after a set time. Larger rocks that you mine in pieces, ore deposits, and anything in dungeons besides mushrooms don't respawn. Trees, saplings and generic bushes also don't respawn, but some types drop seeds for replanting.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2021, 05:39:11 pm »

Made my first boat, was awesome sailing around and the big sea turtle island things are super neat.

Also found the swamp.

The fucking leeches are not neat, at all.

Now I gotta figure out how the fuck do I get back to my corpse with all my good gear and loot while not having enough resources for anything bigger than a raft (and I seriously doubt a raft can get trough a storm if it hits)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2021, 05:56:13 pm »

By the way, I checked and since the developers are Swedish, there's a 100% chance that the greydwarves are a reference to Ronja Roversdaughter the Robber's Daughter, a very famous Swedish children's book
Love, scriver~

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2021, 06:06:18 pm »

Also found the swamp.

The fucking leeches are not neat, at all.

Yep, just tried the swamp myself. Set about building a small base camp on a peninsula consisting of meadow next to the swamp. Killed a pack of about 5 leeches, led by a 2-star that were harassing my boat. Had to abandon the camp after getting jumped by two blobs and a green glowing draugr with a bow. One of the blobs hit me; the damage from that one hit + poison dropped me from ~75HP to 15HP.

Since wood is remarkably hard to get in the swamp(the big trees are not choppable), I'm going to load my boat up with wood. Four full slots of 50 each should provide a decent amount of construction.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2021, 06:17:52 pm »

Highly recommend making Poison Resistance mead for when venturing into the swamp. It lasts awhile and works well against a number of things.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2021, 07:43:49 pm »

Now I gotta figure out how the fuck do I get back to my corpse with all my good gear and loot while not having enough resources for anything bigger than a raft (and I seriously doubt a raft can get trough a storm if it hits)

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and head back to the corpse on a raft. Storms wont wreck the raft, but there are dangers in the open ocean that will, and you can't out run them on a raft.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2021, 11:19:48 pm »

Leeches seem unable to attack outside of the water, so they are fairly easy to manage. I recommend bringing a Hoe and leveling a path above water as you move between land masses in the swamp.

Both the blobs and all the undead in the swamp are vulnerable to blunt damage, so a bronze mace will serve you well.

Wraiths roam the swamps at night, and are extremely deadly to newly arrived adventurers, especially if you're alone. Strongly recommend avoiding swamps at night.

It's a good habit when exploring by boat to bring portal materials, and set up a little basecamp as soon as you make landing in a new area. Have a few portals at home with names that area easy to remember, like Outpost1, Outpost2, etc.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2021, 11:45:07 pm »

Yeah, I spent two in-game days sailing to reach the Bonemass boss spawner, only to get killed by poison when I realized I forgot to bring mead. All my iron armor, weapons and the mats for a portal and workbench, along with my boat, stuck in the ass-end of the map.

Bleh, I've now built a second boat, donned my old bronze armor, and I'm sailing over. Gonna drop a portal at a nearby safe biome before I try clearing a landing space in the swamp this time.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2021, 06:17:08 am »

Yeah, I was so excited to have enough shit to build a proper boat that I couldn't be bothered to get even more stuff needed for the portals (mainly the bronze). Wasn't really planning on such a long trip, just going to find the Elder spawner, as it turned out it was right next to a swamp (as well as right next to a merchant) and I couldn't resist the temptation of finding some new stuff in there. The Draugr were mostly fine, the leeches were annoying since they'd cluster up on a shore and wouldn't let you leave until you murdered every single one of them. Which I did for the most part, but what got me killed is the fucking spear having zero goddamn reach. You'd expect a long poking stick like that would allow you to hit something at some sort of safe distance, but nah, you gotta stand in the bloody water to be able to do anything to them, even the damn axe seems to have a better time of hitting them since it does a swiping motion which tends to hit multiple bastards at once.

Anyways, managed to get across safely, get all my stuff, start a small outpost then realized I was a few gold pieces short of a fishing pole, found a nearby troll cave and promptly got stomped, welp, guess it's time to row across for a third damn time :I
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2021, 06:32:09 am »

I was so excited to have enough shit to build a proper boat

hey, don't disparage the cacamaran
Love, scriver~

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2021, 08:43:31 am »

what got me killed is the fucking spear having zero goddamn reach. You'd expect a long poking stick like that would allow you to hit something at some sort of safe distance, but nah, you gotta stand in the bloody water to be able to do anything to them

Mouse3 to throw the spear. But yeah, it's generally outclassed by swords and clubs for killing small enemies because of the sweep. Spear is amazing against trolls because of effective damage type, and decent for kiting big slow enemies because you can keep your shield up for safety and don't have to waste ammunition. But the rest of the time it's just a fairly subpar weapon.

If you want a melee weapon with some length though, try out the atgeir once you get some iron. That thing can reach out and poke someone.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2021, 11:45:18 am »

Throwing it works only once tho, then you gotta pick it up :V

Second attempt at getting my shit back ended up with me getting eaten by a sea serpent, so that was fun. Now I'm out of leather scraps for a third raft, and I'm running out of replacement tools and gear as well.
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2021, 06:31:53 pm »

Just beat my first troll. By strafing vigorously backwards through the woods.

Ended up by my "temporary shelter" (that ended up much nicer than my "main home" of course) just as I managed to kill  it. Then a "the woods is moving" event triggered and suddenly I'm surrounded by greydwarves and getting slammed by a brute until I die.

I wonder how that must have looked from their perspective. They start attacking this lone house out in the middle of nowhere, kill the owner, and then suddenly another identical guy appears from the house, wielding a club and wearing nothing but a loincloth and vengeful rage
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6