Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 124159 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: ...a leaden crown upon the head of glory...
« Reply #810 on: August 20, 2021, 08:51:59 am »

"That's why Youare will place the attracting spell on your robe instead of you. How fast you can be is a valid concern, and for carrying things I thought you could sweep them along like a water current. You know yourself best so if this sounds unrealistic, we'll come up with something else."
"I can make the attempt at least. Do you want me there right away?"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 20, 2021, 08:54:35 am »

"I can make the attempt at least. Do you want me there right away?"
Grey glances over to whatever Greed is doing.

"Yes, sooner is better I think."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 20, 2021, 10:07:43 am »

"Yes, sooner is better I think."
"okay. on my way."
((action edited))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 20, 2021, 10:26:54 am »

“Is there something I can do to help? I want to do something productive other than wait around”

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 20, 2021, 05:50:37 pm »

“Is there something I can do to help? I want to do something productive other than wait around”
Waiting around is very productive.  It produces bored thoughts in your head which in turn produce more !!fun!!.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 20, 2021, 07:51:23 pm »

”Nothing particularly comes to mind. You could try putting some useful anagram on your needle in case things don’t work out and we have to fight the hammer, either on land or the sea. You could also ask the captain questions about leviathans and such, find out if they ever have elemental powers or anything like that.”

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Ceramic Bread
« Reply #816 on: August 20, 2021, 08:00:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If he’s not giving orders, ask the captain if other leviathans they hunted had elemental powers
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:06:58 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 20, 2021, 08:18:10 pm »

"One last thing, I recall one of your fellows once made a bone key which, when stabbed into something (himself as it turned out) it created a magic door which always led back to where the stabbing happened. So remember that not everything you make has to be mundane, and even if there's nothing you can create which would be immediately useful to what we're doing at the moment, there are always future missions where it might be good to have a certain something."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:28:37 pm by Fire and Glory »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 20, 2021, 10:53:06 pm »

((could try to make a BOUNTY TRACKER or ROD FINDER or something like that out of whatever materials you can find. Like, an Iron Rack Fodder Slot Piglet Pig.

So.

That's a thing.))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 21, 2021, 04:21:28 am »

Team Boat

Youare removes the function "bait" from the bait, and holds it carefully.
Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #820 on: August 21, 2021, 12:32:55 pm »

The Speaker asks the sea if there are any rods of counting in it and, if so,  where they can be found.

Spoiler: The Speaker (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)

Edit:  fixed action
[5]
The sea, speaking via the crrashing of waves against the side of the boat, tells you that it doesn't know what you're talking about. However, it says that there are a great many human things below you and in this area.

I know your laughing, but believe me, this is progress.

Push the squid into the ocean, hopefully towards an area with either a shallow incline, or a direct overhang with clear waters below.

Oh, and while I’m at it, I’m going to tell all my minions that, in the case of my death, they are to find the nearest homunculi and serve them. This will also be the standing rule for all minions created in the future. And if I can communicate via the needle link (can’t remember if that was a thing), tell both Genesis and Grey about the squid.

Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)
[2]
The squid, despite not being a mythical sea monster, is heavier than you expected. You struggle and shove but only get it a foot or two before having to sit down and rest.

"Okay Elizabeth I'm gonna do something potentially dangerous, I'm gonna ask the ocean where that hammer thing is."
Make sure to hold onto Elizabeth, then ask the ocean where the big hammer monster that sinks boats is, spend a fate point on this.
[6,5]
The sea, again talking through the waves, tells you that the creature you seek is currently swimming up from the bottom a few miles from here, heading in the general direction of the town. The crashing waves suddenly but only briefly take the form of an arrow of white foam pointing off towards the storm and very slowly turning in one direction.

greed, out of boredom, turns the ship invisible.
[4]
You don't manage to make the boat invisible. Its a big boat after all. But you do manage to make it more difficult to see by distorting the light around it. It becomes sort of hazy, as though you were looking at it through a fog.

"I think it's a good idea. They should have records of what happened and where their rods of bounty are, but it's rather odd that we were sent here if that's the way we need to handle this. I think they do have records of one being missing, which is why it was in our brief in the first place. So I think we should assume that they lost one during the event, and have no leads on where it might have gone. Maybe if we check around where the town fell-"

"Tess? You can change what material you're made of, right? We're coming up with strategies for one of us to go try leading the hammer out of the storm and bring it to the ship, or alternatively to beach the thing on the shore. Youare and I have a couple of ideas for getting the creature to go where we want it to, and it seems to me that you're the one best suited for the job. If you aren't busy with matters where you are, do you want to help us kill the beast?"

startled a bit by the sound coming from my needle, I figure it out after a moment and reply.
"I could I guess. Um, what do you have in mind?"

he's gonna want me to go swimming isn't he.
I speak to Genesis:
"I might be needed on the ship. Excuse me for a moment."
I look around for some clear space, because I think I'm going to lose my air-wings soon and still want to at least try to see if I can fly, and want to not cause trouble when I make my attempt. If I find a chance, I test if I can fly or not.
EDIT: success or fail, I tug on the thread leading to Grey to send myself to him. I'll also re-link my needle with his after the teleport unless he wants me to not.

[6] You can indeed fly, though it turns out to be really hard to control. Every time you flap it sort of just hurls gusts of wind that shove you around. Its almost like flying with a jetpack that can only fire in bursts.

You give the thread 3 yanks and immediately go incorporeal and shoot off away from the ship at flabbergasting speeds. You make it to Gray within only a few moments, jerking to a stop and becoming corporeal again all at once.

After Grey gets done explaining the plan to Tess, he takes a rifle out of one of the carts and places it and his saber on the deck. He then takes his needle, taps the end of it on the saber, and then taps the tip on the rifle and observes the results.

If Tess makes it to the ship okay, Grey links needles with them again and spends one fate to place a spell on their needle, Maintain creature’s velocity.

((Btw, Ozarck poked PW on the discord about whether our needle conversations are private or can be heard by everyone connected to the needles, and he had this to say.))

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)
[3]
The result of the "sewing" isn't exactly anything special. The Saber's blade ends up fused to the end of the rifle, forming a sort of exaggeratedly long bayonet and turning the rifle into a sort of awkward polearm.
[3] You place a rather anemic spell in the needle.

If he’s not giving orders, ask the captain if other leviathans they hunted had elemental powers
"Hard to say. Does an electric eel weild elemetal power? I've seen creatures that breathe fire, that are encrusted with stone, that can seemingly conjur lightning, and the like. But whether these things are magic or just a quirk of their anatomy I'm not sure."

Team Boat

Youare removes the function "bait" from the bait, and holds it carefully.
Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
[3]
You aim for "Bait" as in "Attractiveness" but only end up with "Fresh" because the chum is fresh.

The captain is currently waiting to see what you do, the ship continues to move roughly in the direction of the storm.

Shore Team
'I assume the people who came to collect the Rods were from the Atelier branch .. the one from up north, Ynisk, was it? Did they wear anything unusual or carry any symbols, like the Eye on our equipment? If I wanted to travel to Ynisk, what would be the fastest and simplest mundane method? Truck? Plane? By sea? Do you have trains or subways, or something else like teleportation circles or the like? I understand these may be odd questions. Ah, one more thing. Where might I find some writing materials? pen and paper, or some sort of texting device?"
Ask the above to Thomas. Then attempt to acquire writing materials, or a couple text devices like cell phones or the like. I don't actually have anything to trade for them except the ceramic bread, so ofer that I guess. Make clear that I am asking as a personal request, rather than as official homunculi business, and that whoever has the paper or whatever is free to decline to give it to me for what I have available.

"Tess, I may have to visit the Atelier after all. Well, it's a secondary objective anyway, so no rush, but I feel as if I may have exhausted my leads in this town. Do you have any ideas?"

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: notes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current link web (click to show/hide)
"They were like you, but not quite the same. They had blue robes and a mark that looked like...I can't really remember. It was sort of stylized, more than yours. And they were carrying these...metal boxes" He mimes a box about the size of a man's head.

"The fastest way...A lot of the larger ships use anchored hot air balloons to scout around. There are probably some sitting in storage With the wind blowing like it is you could probably take one straight to Ynisk or at least close.  Or you could take a fast boat. Follow the coast up north until you get close and then travel the rest of the way on foot. We don't really have any vehicles around here.

I don't have anything to write on here, but there should be plenty of paper and such around. Ask the foreman or any of the offices around here."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 21, 2021, 05:32:46 pm »

Genesis locates Speaker, and scrawls in the dirt with his needle, making sure Speaker sees it: "YOUR TASK: Find a clipboard, notebooks, and pens/pencils. Only communicate with me via writing from now on, until you get afunctionary to give you hearing."

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 21, 2021, 05:39:09 pm »

The Speaker asks the sea if there are any rods of counting in it and, if so,  where they can be found.

Edit:  fixed action
[5]
The sea, speaking via the crrashing of waves against the side of the boat, tells you that it doesn't know what you're talking about. However, it says that there are a great many human things below you and in this area.

<snip>

((The Speaker isn’t on the boat, he’s actually on the shore.  I think you made the same mistake with other people as well…))

Edit:  didn’t see this before…
Genesis locates Speaker, and scrawls in the dirt with his needle, making sure Speaker sees it: "YOUR TASK: Find a clipboard, notebooks, and pens/pencils. Only communicate with me via writing from now on, until you get afunctionary to give you hearing."

The Speaker nods and uses his needle to write “Ok” in the sand.  He then proceeds to ask the sea if it has the items Genesis asked for, and if so, where they can be found.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 12:19:42 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 22, 2021, 03:48:56 am »

"Well that's an... experience. not bad but different. Anyway, let me re-link with you real quick."
I re-link my needle with Grey's
"So, I'm here. Who's got the spell to make something I can carry into bait? because I don't want that on something I want to keep."

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 22, 2021, 04:27:49 am »

And if I can communicate via the needle link (can’t remember if that was a thing), tell both Genesis and Grey about the squid.
Grey notices a report made by Luta coming from his needle and listens to it.

"You've made a big squid? Nice I guess, it can't talk can it? If I think of something we need it for I'll let you know."

"So, I'm here. Who's got the spell to make something I can carry into bait? because I don't want that on something I want to keep."
"Youare should have it but he looks disappointed, so there might be a holdup there. But there are other ways to get a creature's attention."

"I've been thinking of a potential problem, which is that you might find it hard to see when you're underwater in the storm. There are a couple ways around this, I could Maintain your ability to perceive objects near and far, or Maintain a huge ball of sunlight around you. I think our Elemental could make a strong light source that follows you around also, but he's in his own world in my experience."

"If Youare can't come up with the bait, I think we should go with the ball of sunlight. Sea creatures should find it hard to ignore a moving sphere of light with a surface area of a few kilometres. If we do go with that it'll be easier to cast once you're in the water, otherwise it'll be more like a hemisphere of light."

"When you teleported in I tried to put the movement spell in your needle, but it doesn't seem to have caught right, so I'll try again with that."

"Debby? How did your efforts go?"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 04:32:37 am by Fire and Glory »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 116