Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 124171 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Shadowed Woods
« Reply #1140 on: October 25, 2021, 12:20:40 pm »

"Predators will tend to ambush their prey from the latter's blind areas, right?" Aa closes her right eye and holds her right hand over her shoulder, palm facing backwards. "Like this, I can see out my back, but to the uninitiated it would seem that I cannot. Luring my prey into the false idea that I don't know it's there."

Aa opens her eye again. "I realize that I'm making certain assumptions about the nature of the threat, but these are the sorts of things I'm able to prepare for. If I walk into an invisible magic effect or something instead, then I'll have to rely on the rest of you. But if we're facing a sneaky creature as I suspect, it will be important to keep the element of surprise. If it's a group, silence them and take captives for questioning."
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: October 25, 2021, 12:44:41 pm »

"Predators will tend to ambush their prey from the latter's blind areas, right?" Aa closes her right eye and holds her right hand over her shoulder, palm facing backwards. "Like this, I can see out my back, but to the uninitiated it would seem that I cannot. Luring my prey into the false idea that I don't know it's there."

Aa opens her eye again. "I realize that I'm making certain assumptions about the nature of the threat, but these are the sorts of things I'm able to prepare for. If I walk into an invisible magic effect or something instead, then I'll have to rely on the rest of you. But if we're facing a sneaky creature as I suspect, it will be important to keep the element of surprise. If it's a group, silence them and take captives for questioning."

((Try doing that in real life for any significant amount of time.  You can held your hand over either shoulder, but make sure that your palm is facing backwards and isn’t blocked by your neck or shoulder so the eye has the maximum field of view.))
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: October 25, 2021, 12:48:22 pm »

((She did it over the shoulder to make the gesture more obvious to Hugh, what I'd actually do would be walk normally with my hands down and take a peek every so often from hip level. That way is more comfortable and less suspicious.))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: October 25, 2021, 12:59:59 pm »

((She did it over the shoulder to make the gesture more obvious to Hugh, what I'd actually do would be walk normally with my hands down and take a peek every so often from hip level. That way is more comfortable and less suspicious.))

((Ah.  We probably don’t even need to swap gloves then (although doing so probably can’t hurt).  I’d still like to try swapping gloves with Aa or someone else, first.  Btw, that gives mean idea…))

Edit:

((Actually, I’d like to ask what everyone else thinks about using Aa’s little trick instead of swapping gloves, first))
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 01:04:09 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: October 25, 2021, 01:15:18 pm »

((I mean swapping only our left gloves, leaving us with mismatched sets. That way you can use your left glove to see if I get into trouble, and I can use my right glove to look behind me.))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: October 25, 2021, 01:30:57 pm »

((If all goes well, I’ll be using my dominant hand to hold my needle, so the eye on the palm will be facing towards the needles shaft.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: October 25, 2021, 01:40:20 pm »

((Does that mean you'd rather trade right gloves? It doesn't matter to me.))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: October 25, 2021, 01:53:47 pm »

((I’m not really sure which of Hugh’s hands is dominant.  He might be ambidextrous, for alli know!  My point is that the eye of one of the gloves is going to be looking behind him, and the other is going to be blocked by the shaft of his needle.  Additionally, if you close one eye to look through a glove held by another person, and you close the other eye to look behind you, how many eyes do you have left to see where you’re going?  I’m thinking it might be better to skip swapping needles and just go in groups of two and hold our non-dominant hands at our sides with the eye facing backwards.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: October 25, 2021, 02:05:36 pm »

((Aa will look behind herself with her right eye closed and navigate with her normal left eye open. Hugh will be able to close his left eye to look through Aa's left hand, which is enough to tell if she's in trouble. We're certainly not trading needles but I assume that's a typo. :p

Aa - Hugh's left glove, Aa's right glove
Hugh - Aa's left glove, Hugh's right glove))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: October 25, 2021, 02:09:09 pm »

((Did you read the post I linked to?))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: October 25, 2021, 02:19:11 pm »

((Yeah. Do you have a problem with my plan of trading Left gloves?))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: October 25, 2021, 02:39:42 pm »

((Yeah. Do you have a problem with my plan of trading Left gloves?))

((Did you read about the experiment I was going to try with my robe and needle?))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: October 25, 2021, 03:21:35 pm »

((Disguising it as a walking stick? Is that relevant to me in some way? Aa doesn't really need to be checking in on Hugh for it to work, I'd just give you my glove so that we both have two. Nor would Hugh need to use the trick of checking behind him if he's with the other Homunculi and not the primary bait.))

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: October 25, 2021, 03:23:28 pm »

((Wait what is the plan?))
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: October 25, 2021, 03:37:52 pm »

Edit: Piecewise, I suppose I'll boldtext to draw your attention to this plan as well. I'm not the leader of this group but most people seem to be going along with the flow. So unless it's mutually exclusive with what other people want to do we could default to this? >.>

((Bleb. I should probably make a better habit of explaining everything I want in a single post.

Here's what I want to do:

Aa disguises herself as a normal, unarmed human, and goes into the woods ahead of the rest of the group, presenting an ideal target for a hypothetical attacker: alone and unarmed.

If such a target does appear to try and ambush her, she'd use her needle to contact the others following some distance back, and then up to seven other Homunculi could Link to her and subdue the target.

In order to improve chances of noticing an enemy trying to target her, Aa will look behind her using her right glove. This lets her look without appearing to from outside, thus getting the drop on the enemy.

In case Aa in incapacitated before being able to get out a message, she'll wear Hugh's left glove and he'll check in periodically. If she gets knocked out by magic or such, the rest of the group can run to to intervene.

The rest of the group follows a short distance behind Aa, far enough to be out of sight. Also disguised as villagers, but traveling together and potentially visibly armed, presenting a less appealing target to the enemy, but also not giving away that the Magi are involved by being a big roving band of Homunculi.

This plan will kind of require everybody's agreement, since the whole group has to be disguised in case the enemy spies on the larger group and realizes they have a serious opponent. I'd also ideally want to link with five more people so that we can really assault the enemy in force should all go well.

So, does that plan seem good to everybody?))
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 04:58:22 pm by Egan_BW »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 116