Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 94413 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R1, Round Over): One Final Discovery
« Reply #225 on: October 05, 2021, 01:13:42 pm »

Obviously, all the other players did a stellar job, and poor little me is woefully inadequate in every way.  :'(

...so, uh, when is the next round starting?  ;D

Good shit town, although I do feel bad that the mafia were busy this round.

Oh yes, mafia was indeed boned in that regard.

@NJW:
Were you able to delay every night? That seemed suspicious to me considering the rest of town had nerfed powers.

From what I can tell, yup.  I did the N1 kill.

In my humble opinion, the powers were too strong overall.  Vector and I both had powers that worked all the time (although my roleblocker couldn't repeat targets, unlike NJW's delayer), bulletproof was infinite, and Met only failed in their cop duties because they, well, got lynched.  I don't mean to nitpick, but if Met had just said "Hey guys, I'm a Cop!", they would have at least eaten the night kill maybe.

...or frankly, I still would have killed ToonyMan, if Vector agreed.  And then Met could have used their Cop Powers.

Thinking out loud, ToonyMan's Doctor wasn't really that useless, it was just useless for ToonyMan.  If, for example, I or NJW were the Town Even-Night Doctor, I imagine either of us would have successfully avoided the lynch, possibly the bullet, and might have lucked into the right N2 kill.  NJW was good at skirting the line of neutrality to stay alive, and I'm generally low-priority (semi-useless) as Town.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 05, 2021, 01:35:11 pm »

@NJW:
Were you able to delay every night? That seemed suspicious to me considering the rest of town had nerfed powers.
I was, yes. It was strong, but not that strong given that unlike a protect, I could only buy town time in the short term unless I hit the kill repeatedly.

I would say most town did get some use out of their powers, or at least out of the fact that they had them. Tric had a very townie claim immediately and Roden ended up fairly heavily confirmed town by the end. You and Met also closed out a lot of the space of roles for Vector's claim by flipping town-cop.

Obviously, all the other players did a stellar job, and poor little me is woefully inadequate in every way.  :'(
Hey, you weren't bad. I think the self-vote might have been a bit premature, even: scum just needed to win one person over to their lynch on D2.
One wheel short of a wagon

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 05, 2021, 01:52:47 pm »

Honestly, Werehouse or something would have been a good counter to my claim. Given that was my first thought when I was planning the reveal after reading it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 05, 2021, 01:57:34 pm »

:c
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 05, 2021, 02:19:17 pm »

GG everyone! I went to bed right after I voted and ended up having stress dreams that I threw lol, I'm glad it all worked out. Scum team did well and had me second guessing myself until the last minute.

Yeah, mafia being busy kinda screwed them over. Major issue is the Role Cop ruse got used twiceover in a game with cop and doctor already outed.

Any comments on my logic(chess) at the end? Always fun to get a chance to do those.
Yeah, it's unfortunate they couldn't be more active, it ultimately played a part in the town win since they got out-posted.

Also I thought your chess post was spot on. I compared it to what happened during the game in my last reread and it helped me solidify my decision to hammer.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 05, 2021, 02:48:45 pm »

Quote from: Roles
Metruption:
1-Shot Cop (town):
(1-Shot, Night) Investigate [target]: You investigate your target’s private belongings, and learn their alignment (Town, Mafia, or Mafia-Ally). You only have enough forensics equipment to do this once, however.

ToonyMan:
Even-Night Doctor (town):
(Night) Protect [target]: You use your medical expertise and protect your target player from kill actions this Night.
(Auto) Even-Night: Due to fatigue, you can only take Night actions during even-numbered Night phases.

NJW2000:
Delayer (town):
(Night) Delay [target]: You bend time, temporally displacing the target player’s action this Night (if any) to the following Night. They are given an ‘action failed’ result if they acted, then the following Night, they perform their displaced action (even if they are dead).

Roden:
1-Shot Bulletproof Townie (town):
(1-Shot, Auto) Bulletproof: If you would be killed during the Night, the kill fails thanks to your bulletproof vest. This ability only works once.

TricMagic:
Automatic Self-Voyeur (town):
(Auto): Awareness: You use your psychic awareness to learn what categories of actions were performed on you during the Night at the end of each Night. Available categories: Investigative, Interference, Protective, Lethal, Other.

Vector:
Role Cop (mafia):
(Night) Investigate [target]: You rummage through and examine the target player’s private room, and learn their complete role, not including alignment.

EuchreJack:
Non-Consecutive Roleblocker (mafia):

(Night) Roleblock [target]: You knock out your target with a sleeping drug, blocking that player’s action tonight, preventing it entirely. They are given an ‘action failed’ result.
(Auto) Non-Consecutive: Due to your target potentially developing a tolerance to your drugs, you cannot affect the same player two Nights in a row.

Quote from: Actions
Night 1 attempted actions:
ToonyMan: None (odd Night)
NJW2000: Delay Vector
Roden: None (passive)
TricMagic: None (passive)
Vector: Investigate Roden
EuchreJack: Kill ToonyMan

Night 1 results:
ToonyMan is shot and killed
NJW2000 successfully delays his target
Roden has an uneventful night
TricMagic has an uneventful night (and receives no results)
Vector’s action is delayed to Night 2, and receives an action failed result
EuchreJack successfully kills ToonyMan

Night 2 attempted actions:
NJW2000: Delay Vector
Roden: None (passive)

TricMagic: None (passive)
Vector: Investigate TricMagic

Night 2 results:
NJW2000 successfully delays his target
Roden has an uneventful night
TricMagic has an uneventful night (and receives no results)
Vector’s action this Night (investigating TricMagic) is delayed to Night 3 and their action the previous Night is now performed, causing them to investigate Roden and learn Roden’s role.

Vector and Euchrejack can release the first round's scumchat if they want.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 05, 2021, 03:52:58 pm »

Ya, please post it.

I have to go to class. Fuck grad school .-.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 05, 2021, 04:24:38 pm »

Hey, you weren't bad. I think the self-vote might have been a bit premature, even: scum just needed to win one person over to their lynch on D2.

My strategy behind the self-vote was to shut down info to town.  I didn't see Roden under any circumstances switching, and I didn't see Tric voting anyone but me.
They both had strong town equity, so I didn't think you were gonna vote them (I don't read you as impulsive, so I'd expect your vote to be towards the end of the day).

Also, not for nothing, but wasn't it fairly obvious that Vector was mafia when the night phase got delayed?  It's sort of why it had to either be Vector or NJW, as Roden and Tric were eager to go.  I think Vector did a good job with what they had, but nothing can disburse that tingling behind the skull.  Tric I think alluded to it by saying that Vector should blame NJW.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 05, 2021, 04:57:57 pm »

I took notes during N1, not that it matters:

As a side note, Roden was only one-shot like I expected and Tric wasn't as powerful as he claimed since he couldn't see exactly who targeted him. A ton of town bluffing in this which is pretty funny.

Scum Chat https://www.quicktopic.com/53/H/BL62cT7fGqKsu
Those first eight messages :D
Quote from: Jack in Scumchat
But thankfully, Tric generally needs another player to translate for him, so without Toony, Tric will probably flail ineffectively.
Yeah, about that...

I smell a doctor somewhere. Probably Toony or Roden.
I am not very good at hiding Doctor status am I?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 05:01:48 pm by ToonyMan »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 05, 2021, 05:11:30 pm »

They might have silenced me simply because of my active posting compared to Vector and Jack if both are town. If both are town I think Roden is probably clean which would make the scum team NJW/Tric which is just demoralizing.

It would have been bad if we were the scum team huh? And I could see it happening, since I'd know abilities that target me, and we could use that info with the Delay to mess with people.  ;D With so many 1-shots though it was never going to happen.

Wonder what the next round will be. Am I mafia? Or is Tric Tric?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 05, 2021, 10:14:50 pm »

I absolutely can not be mafia, of this I am 100000% assured.  You can trust me to be absolutely town because I served my turn as Vector and FOU's lackey.
Yup, just Townlock Jack next time, and Town is assured to win.

Oh, and since the scum chat was leaked, I should say Good Job Tric.  Unlike what I said, you were able to push your hunches reasonably well without help.
I like how you pushed your Ace Attorney shtick to the end of your posts as an appendix rather than taking away from the body and content of the posts.

I smell a doctor somewhere. Probably Toony or Roden.
I am not very good at hiding Doctor status am I?
Eh, I'm sure some players missed your Mafia Championship game.

They might have silenced me simply because of my active posting compared to Vector and Jack if both are town. If both are town I think Roden is probably clean which would make the scum team NJW/Tric which is just demoralizing.

It would have been bad if we were the scum team huh? And I could see it happening, since I'd know abilities that target me, and we could use that info with the Delay to mess with people.  ;D With so many 1-shots though it was never going to happen.

Wonder what the next round will be. Am I mafia? Or is Tric Tric?

NJW/Tric would indeed be a powerful scum team.  So long as it worked as a TEAM.  A lone wolf dies alone, whereas a wolf pack can kill anything.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 06, 2021, 02:03:45 am »

Okay, I know I said I'd release the roles at midnight, but I looked them over and I became aware of a scary imbalance in the setup that could result in Bad Things (tm) in a certain situation. So instead I had to rack my mind to fix it, and fix it I have. Sadly it is now 2 AM and in my current state of tiredness and sleep deprivation it's likely that I'd make a mistake when sending out the roles, or that I've somehow broken it even worse. So what I'm going to do is release the roles in the morning, around 6-8 hours from now. Cheers. (Y'all can talk in the meantime)
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 06, 2021, 07:32:29 am »

I only ask that you share the horrible imbalance after the game is over.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 153