Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 94416 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R2, Day 1): Don't Trust Off Brand Baked Goods
« Reply #255 on: October 06, 2021, 03:37:02 pm »

At a glance, it says everyone needs to claim on day 2. But for those with certain 1-shot abilities, (like any gun owners), that isn't really a good thing. That and the obvious issue of someone being dead, unless mafia chooses not to kill and blend in.

Nice, although incomplete (or maybe more complete than the flaw that I saw)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2021, 03:49:05 pm »

The game has been going for well past one hour so far, and yet Toonyman has not posted, ergo Toonyman MUST be scum!
...how's that for "baseless accusations and lashing out", Toonyman?  :P
(not joking quite as much as I seem to be, Toonyman is generally more active and eager, although it really hasn't been very long)

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2021, 03:59:48 pm »

If we mass claim then we all actually need to mass claim. Claiming BP helped catch scum intentions last time, but the confusion from not everyone claiming as well as some fake claims from town could easily tank us if we don't get as lucky this time. I was thinking how we should try to go about it and I think a no vote Day 1 and then mass claim Day 2 might be the optimal strat, if we do it.

I'm actually heavily in favor of this strategy.

Still...Why is Roden the lover of mass claims hesitating to claim?

And...Why is Roden now favoring the "let mafia get the first kill instead of town" strategy?
I've already said why I haven't auto claimed yet. I have no problem claiming if we do a Day 1 mass claim though, I just don't want to be the only player full claiming again.

As far as why I'm suggesting to no vote today, it's because it's clear we have no VT's in this set up, so a mis-elim means we always lose a PR. As we saw last game, we lost our Cop Day 1, and then lost our Doc that night as well. If someone does something blatantly scummy then of course we should vote them out, but otherwise we just have a good chance of losing two strong PRs.

If we mass claim then we all actually need to mass claim. Claiming BP helped catch scum intentions last time, but the confusion from not everyone claiming as well as some fake claims from town could easily tank us if we don't get as lucky this time. I was thinking how we should try to go about it and I think a no vote Day 1 and then mass claim Day 2 might be the optimal strat, if we do it.
So... just going to jump on the no-lynch thing then?

Gotta say, it's kinda weird two players immediately starting to talk about no-lynch as soon as the day begins, seemingly independently. Jack bringing it up immediately is weird, but Roden suggesting doing it right after is just too much. Bit of a weird swing from "suprise massclaim" strategy, too. Why have you decided that it's better to let mafia kill someone before a pre-arranged massclaim D2, Roden?
Mainly because this isn't a typical set up, and trying something different each game is just a better strategy. If everyone knows I'm going to suggest a mass claim each game start, everyone can just prepare fake claims out-of-game every single time. The point is to catch scum off guard, and that literally cannot happen if everyone knows what to expect each time.

The idea of no-vote Day 1 into mass claim Day 2 is that it quite literally gives scum only minutes to come up with a fake claim that doesn't contradict the town mass claim + night action reveals. And with four town vs two scum that's one extra PR that can catch a slip up.

At a glance, it says everyone needs to claim on day 2. But for those with certain 1-shot abilities, (like any gun owners), that isn't really a good thing. That and the obvious issue of someone being dead, unless mafia chooses not to kill and blend in.

Also, there is one major flaw in just No Voting. And that happens to be discussion Roden. Why the change of heart?

NiNJW2000.

And others, reading. Unvote.
I'm not suggesting to end the day early. We should essentially just talk until we let the timer run out.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 06, 2021, 04:07:36 pm »

To note, the info did come in handy towards the end of the game. But falseclaiming is not something town should do in the first place. Given that's kinda what we use to pick out scum.

I asked that to check more than anything else, and maybe pick up some info for later on.

Just spotted this, and thought that it best to repeat that Town, except for maybe the Doctor, should never falseclaim.
And back to the question of "What's wrong with Roden's plan?" I think the second part of Tric's sentence is "close enough" that I'll mention the #1 flaw with Roden's plan:
Mafia can falseclaim Day 2 AFTER the Night Actions.  Town has the advantage claiming D1 in that they don't have to make their claims "fit" into the night actions.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 06, 2021, 04:14:58 pm »

As far as why I'm suggesting to no vote today, it's because it's clear we have no VT's in this set up, so a mis-elim means we always lose a PR. As we saw last game, we lost our Cop Day 1, and then lost our Doc that night as well. If someone does something blatantly scummy then of course we should vote them out, but otherwise we just have a good chance of losing two strong PRs.

Just an FYI, I totally thought VT meant Vigilante, and was wondering if you bothered to look up Tric's ability.  Also, might be easier if players who claim a role actually give some info on that role, instead of hoping that mafiawiki is up to date.  For example, last game NJW2000's Delayer wasn't actually a Mafia wiki role, but rather an ability.

Oh, and Cops should claim Cop rather than be mislynched.  Let's just keep repeating that, ok?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 06, 2021, 04:18:58 pm »

The idea of no-vote Day 1 into mass claim Day 2 is that it quite literally gives scum only minutes to come up with a fake claim that doesn't contradict the town mass claim + night action reveals. And with four town vs two scum that's one extra PR that can catch a slip up.

Minutes? Were we playing the same game last round?

I'll give you this much credit, you obviously read the mafia wiki article that said that bulletproof shouldn't claim Day 1, and are showing proper shame.  But your claim did help town (more than you think, read the scumchat), so why the regret?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 06, 2021, 04:20:15 pm »

Must...not...vote...Roden...must...let...other...players...post.  :-X

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 06, 2021, 04:23:35 pm »

Public Service Announcement: With 4 to hammer this round, and one vote on Roden, another vote means the 2-person scum team we saw last round would have the votes to hammer Roden.  Keep this in mind and vote responsibly.  Thank you!

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 06, 2021, 04:26:01 pm »

To note, the info did come in handy towards the end of the game. But falseclaiming is not something town should do in the first place. Given that's kinda what we use to pick out scum.

I asked that to check more than anything else, and maybe pick up some info for later on.

Just spotted this, and thought that it best to repeat that Town, except for maybe the Doctor, should never falseclaim.
And back to the question of "What's wrong with Roden's plan?" I think the second part of Tric's sentence is "close enough" that I'll mention the #1 flaw with Roden's plan:
Mafia can falseclaim Day 2 AFTER the Night Actions.  Town has the advantage claiming D1 in that they don't have to make their claims "fit" into the night actions.

I think this is actually not in scum's favor. Last game, you and Vector tried to make your role claim fit the night actions and it ended up being major evidence against you.

Just an FYI, I totally thought VT meant Vigilante, and was wondering if you bothered to look up Tric's ability.  Also, might be easier if players who claim a role actually give some info on that role, instead of hoping that mafiawiki is up to date.  For example, last game NJW2000's Delayer wasn't actually a Mafia wiki role, but rather an ability.

Oh, and Cops should claim Cop rather than be mislynched.  Let's just keep repeating that, ok?
Whoops, sorry, VT is Vanilla Townie for anyone confused. I usually just refer to a Vigilante as a Vig.

Also 100% agree about the Cop thing. That one's still painful.

Minutes? Were we playing the same game last round?

I'll give you this much credit, you obviously read the mafia wiki article that said that bulletproof shouldn't claim Day 1, and are showing proper shame.  But your claim did help town (more than you think, read the scumchat), so why the regret?
I did, and the fake claim got caught quickly lol.

I don't really have any regret about claiming BP tbh.

Now that I know your playstyle, this is most likely a town tell lol.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 06, 2021, 04:34:55 pm »

A lot more normal than Scum Jack. Which kinda annoys me, we need more people posting.

It is too late for this. I'd question NJW, but so far only a single post compared to the rest active right now.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 06, 2021, 04:58:46 pm »

A lot more normal than Scum Jack. Which kinda annoys me, we need more people posting.

It is too late for this. I'd question NJW, but so far only a single post compared to the rest active right now.

Frankly, the reason we need to keep D1 going for the entire time period is that otherwise we're likely not to even get a Vector post.
Which I think hurts Town regardless of Vector's alignment.

I hope we didn't scare off Metruption.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 06, 2021, 08:21:15 pm »

I have to come to the decision whether Jack is being his town self or trying to look like his town self.

Currently I can't tell, but time will reveal the truth. My eyes see all. He seems better than last game at least.

@Jack:
Alright, what do everyone think about the tactical utility of Not Lynching?  Is is good/bad/indifferent?
No.

Also: I have an active pro-town ability.  Maybe I'll share more on D2.  Declaring now so nobody thinks I'm making things up to avoid the lynch.
Thought: Some/Many/Most Town players have an active pro-town ability.
Hmm you were unwilling to share anything on D1 of Round 1. This makes me think you're town now.

Toonyman: What do you think of my self-narrating?
It shows you're eager to play.

@TricMagic:
Also, I'm a psychologist this time around. Make of that what you will.
Heh, and I'm a biologist. Are you being honest with your profession here?

I have a distinct feeling you're lying about your real profession.

@Roden:
Meh, I don't know. I like the idea of changing the D1 game plan each time though since in this game players are going to have recent memories of past rounds to use and exploit. Plus, a meta strategy is questionable with unknown setups each round. I think your intentions feel honest here which strikes me as town.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 06, 2021, 08:31:41 pm »

@Roden:
Meh, I don't know. I like the idea of changing the D1 game plan each time though since in this game players are going to have recent memories of past rounds to use and exploit. Plus, a meta strategy is questionable with unknown setups each round. I think your intentions feel honest here which strikes me as town.

Why I'm voting Toonyman.  Roden has posted 3 times, not once pushing or accusing anyone of anything, and posting a "questionable" strategy that mafia may be able to exploit...and Toonyman TOWNREADS Roden.

Look, I dunno if Roden is mafia or town.  Who does? MAFIA.  Vote Toonyman!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 06, 2021, 08:33:06 pm »

...but not until Vector and Metruption post, or we near the deadline.  My apologies, I got a bit eager.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 153