Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 94521 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R2, Day 3): There Is No Soup Store For Truth
« Reply #630 on: October 15, 2021, 10:00:05 am »

What is this even
I've been thinking the same thing!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 15, 2021, 10:23:33 am »

Everyone lives happily ever after.

Except Tric. I still shot him with my poison dart.

GGs Tric and Roden

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 15, 2021, 10:47:02 am »

Everyone lives happily ever after.

Except Tric. I still shot him with my poison dart.

GGs Tric and Roden
Lets do the time warp again!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 15, 2021, 10:55:00 am »

It looks like your matchmake ability could be used by either player and could also target two town players instead. Any reason you didn't matchmake two town players at any point? That would have been some extreme value.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 15, 2021, 11:06:24 am »

Mainly misunderstanding the fact that it was Execution, not death like Lovers normally links as. So my use of it was a bit flawed from the start. Had I targeted Vector N1 rather than you it would have gone a bit better for me, or anyone with an active ability. Which was Roden and NJW. Targeting Jack would have just been idiotic.

Not a good play with the abilities I had on the table. To note, I was the one with Multitasking. Both it and Redirect were 1-shot.

As for why I targeted myself, it was to take advantage of that if anyone was watching, as I'd only visit one player. That and figured having Lover on me would be something I could reveal next day for towncred. We see how that went.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 15, 2021, 11:11:10 am »

Well, gg. That was an interesting setup, shame it played out the way it did.
One wheel short of a wagon

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 15, 2021, 01:15:00 pm »

I targeted Tric night 2 because I assumed he'd get Watched again. I really was Tracker and didn't lie about where anyone went though, but I was Odd Night instead of Roaming. I also really did plan to do no elim into mass claim Day 2 as town, I just did happen to roll scum.

With hindsight of better understanding how the Lovers mechanic works and how to play it, I probably would have hammered NJW Day 1 and then linked Toony and Jack as Lovers while heavily attacking and distancing Tric.

What did Met and Vector have for PRs btw?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 15, 2021, 01:19:43 pm »

ToonyMan pointed his rigid, accusatory finger at TricMagic, who stammered for a moment, then coughed up blood.

A clock chimed.

"Yeah... guess you got us, huh? Come on, Roden, let's... cough Get this over with."

The mafia have forfeited.

Round 2 has ended! Town won, and as such, ToonyMan, NJW2000, Metruption, Vector, and EuchreJack all gain 1 Victory Point!

But the game's dark clutches would not release themselves - this was only the beginning of something more. A darker nightmare loomed as time began to wind back into itself...

New roles will be designed, then sent out tomorrow at midnight, at which point Round 3 will begin.

I'll go ahead and post the setup and actions. However, I'd just like to bring up that I think Metruption implicitly asked for a replacement when he said he 'lost interest'. Webadict, you up for that?

While I felt kinda bad about it during the game when Met said this was a 'bastard game' or whatnot, I didn't comment on it because I didn't want to interfere with how things would play out. Now that the game's over though, I'd like to get y'alls opinion on it. I don't think it's bastard - at least by the standards of this board - myself, but what do you all think?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 15, 2021, 01:28:46 pm »

I'll go ahead and post the setup and actions. However, I'd just like to bring up that I think Metruption implicitly asked for a replacement when he said he 'lost interest'. Webadict, you up for that?
I'm available if he isn't, haha

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R2, Round Over): A Willing Surrender
« Reply #639 on: October 15, 2021, 01:33:32 pm »

My main issue is of course the fact Lovers is so nerfed. Even both town and mafia dying would be better if kills also triggered the lovers effect. I am not really capable of pushing a false lynch since I look for scum indicators to build cases off of. And while there were some, we kind of played the ability wrong from the very start.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 15, 2021, 01:43:22 pm »

My main issue is of course the fact Lovers is so nerfed. Even both town and mafia dying would be better if kills also triggered the lovers effect. I am not really capable of pushing a false lynch since I look for scum indicators to build cases off of. And while there were some, we kind of played the ability wrong from the very start.
Would it help if I told you that you misread your role, too? Only the multitasking was one-shot, you had unlimited redirects.

Quote from: Roles
ToonyMan:
1-Shot Day Poisoner (town):
(1-Shot, Day) Poison [target]: You shoot your target with a blowdart full of deadly frog venom, causing them to die at the end of the next Day (after the execution). They will be aware that they are poisoned, as well as their death condition.

EuchreJack:
3-Shot Jailkeeper (town):
(3-Shot, Night) Jailkeep [target]: You lock your target in their room this Night, protecting them from kills and preventing them from acting. They will be given a ‘you were roleblocked’ result if they attempted to act. You only have enough locksmith’s tools to do this three times, however.

Vector:
Limited Ascetic (town):
(Auto) Ascetic: Due to living in a state of constant meditation, you are immune to all non-kill actions. Any player that uses a non-kill action on you will receive an ‘action failed’ result. However, if a non-kill action is used on you, this Auto will be disabled during the next Cycle (Day and Night) as your meditation is shaken. You will not be aware of when this Auto is disabled/enabled.

Metruption:
Coroner (town):
(Night) Autopsy [target]: You visit a dead player in secret and use your forensics experience to learn the names of all abilities used on them for the Cycle (Day and Night) of their death.

NJW2000:
Secretive Watcher (town):
(Night) Watch [target]: You learn the names of all players who visited your target this Night by watching with your hidden camera.
(Auto) Secretive: Any ability you use fails if you are visited the phase you use it.

TricMagic:
1-Shot Multitasking Redirector (mafia):
(Night) Redirect [target1] [target2]: You use subliminal imagery and subconsciously-heard sonic tones to manipulate your first target into changing the target of their action (if any) to your second target. If they would visit multiple players, one of their targets is changed at random to be your second target. Furthermore, you cannot choose the same player to be both of your targets.
(1-Shot, Auto) Multitasking: Only once, you may choose to use a second action during the Night, as long as the second action is not the same as your first action.

Roden:
Odd Night Tracker (mafia):
(Night) Track [target]: You learn what players, if any, your target visits tonight by stalking them.
(Auto) Odd-Night: Due to fatigue, you can only use your Track action during odd-numbered Nights.

(Factional, Night) Matchmake [self/target1] [target2]: You use hypnotic flamingo pheromone perfume to brainwash two targets, causing them to gain the Lovers status permanently. If one of them is executed during the Day, the other will die at the end of the next Day, after the execution. (A player with the Lovers status will be aware of having it, who their joined partner is, and what the death condition is.) If a Mafia player is one of your targets, the execution of the other player in the partnership will not trigger the lethal effect of this status. This ability may be self-targeted.

Quote from: Actions
Night 1 attempted actions:
ToonyMan: None (no Night action)
NJW2000: Watch ToonyMan
EuchreJack: Jailkeep ToonyMan
Vector: None (passive)
Metruption: None (nobody’s dead)
TricMagic: Redirect ToonyMan to target EuchreJack / Multitasking: Matchmake ToonyMan and TricMagic
Roden: Track EuchreJack

Night 1 results:
ToonyMan gains the Lovers [TricMagic] status, and gains awareness of what it is.
NJW2000 learns that ToonyMan was visited by TricMagic and EuchreJack
EuchreJack jailkeeps Toonyman
Vector has an uneventful Night
Metruption has an uneventful Night
TricMagic redirects ToonyMan to EuchreJack (which does nothing) and gains the Lovers [ToonyMan] status.
Roden learns EuchreJack visited ToonyMan.

Night 2 attempted actions:
ToonyMan: None (no Night action)
NJW2000: Watch Metruption
EuchreJack: Jailkeep ToonyMan
Vector: None (passive)

Metruption: None (nobody’s dead)
TricMagic: None (choice)
Roden: Matchmake NJW2000 and TricMagic

Night 2 results:
ToonyMan has an uneventful Night
NJW2000’s action fails, and he gains the Lovers [TricMagic] status, along with awareness of what it is.
EuchreJack jailkeeps ToonyMan
Vector has an uneventful Night
Metruption has an uneventful Night
TricMagic gains the Lovers [NJW2000] status.
Roden matchmakes TricMagic and NJW2000.

Day 3 attempted actions:
ToonyMan: Poison TricMagic

Day 3 results:
TricMagic gains the status Poisoned
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 15, 2021, 01:57:49 pm »

I'm available if he isn't, haha
Is this the loop where a mysterious 8th player shows up?

As for the game itself I feel it was neat, but the lack of nightkills meant the mafia had to make eliminations happen during the day, which...didn't happen. I was tempted to fire my shot on D1 since I didn't want mafia to kill me before then, but it was never a real threat.

Also lololololol at Met's role. A coroner was not exactly useful in this round.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 15, 2021, 01:59:41 pm »

I'd check with Met about whether they want to continue before assuming anything.  It sounded to me more like they were pissed about this round.
...then again, I considered dumping the tournament prior to the end.  But now that I know it's basically Tric & Roden madness that made it seem Bastard, I'm fine.  :P

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 15, 2021, 02:03:30 pm »

I don't see why Web and MaximumSpin couldn't join as 8th and 9th players for the next round. The points don't really mean anything and there are no other games to join right now.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 15, 2021, 02:03:45 pm »

At least I pegged Met's role. Coroner.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 153