Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 94422 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R2, Round Over): A Willing Surrender
« Reply #645 on: October 15, 2021, 02:04:44 pm »

I don't see why Web and MaximumSpin couldn't join as 8th and 9th players for the next round. The points don't really mean anything and there are no other games to join right now.

Yes, Web and MaximumSpin can join me, Tric, Roden, and Vector as tied for 2nd place!  Great idea!  Might even get me out of last place!  Do this now!  ;D ;D ;D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 15, 2021, 02:08:57 pm »

My complements to mafia team of Roden & Tric.  Good game, and thanks for bowing out gracefully rather than making us dig you out of the swamp.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 15, 2021, 02:12:09 pm »

Yeah, I can play.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 15, 2021, 02:26:00 pm »

While I felt kinda bad about it during the game when Met said this was a 'bastard game' or whatnot, I didn't comment on it because I didn't want to interfere with how things would play out. Now that the game's over though, I'd like to get y'alls opinion on it. I don't think it's bastard - at least by the standards of this board - myself, but what do you all think?
This wasn't bastard, I don't think.

I mean, the experience was weird and confusing, but a lot of that was because the scum played a less than optimal line due to missing certain features of their ability. And town was headed for a clean sheet because of that, so that's just the result of a tradeoff between psychological security and mechanical advantage.

Possibly being a bit more explicit with the term 'execution' might help.
One wheel short of a wagon

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 15, 2021, 02:50:41 pm »

I don't see why Web and MaximumSpin couldn't join as 8th and 9th players for the next round. The points don't really mean anything and there are no other games to join right now.
Sure. Well, it'd be seventh and eighth if Met decides to drop out.

Would still work out, though - and give me just a bit more flexibility in setup design.

If they do join, I'll probably give them one Point each to make things more even, simulating participation in the first two Rounds.

Possibly being a bit more explicit with the term 'execution' might help.
Noted.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 15, 2021, 02:58:12 pm »

So, what was the "more broken version"?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 15, 2021, 02:59:51 pm »

Points are for losers. I'll start with 0 like a professional.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 15, 2021, 03:01:52 pm »

So, what was the "more broken version"?

Mafia's factional ability was poisoning instead of matchmaking. Mafia got a 'Linking JOAT' that could both execute-Lovers people and poison-Lovers people.

Four people could die at the end of Day 2, all at once. I decided this wasn't exactly reasonable.

Points are for losers. I'll start with 0 like a professional.
Noted.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 15, 2021, 03:06:55 pm »

I think the mafia team, had they understood what they were given, should have pursued a policy of pushing town towards more eliminations.  Since they couldn't kill, they needed Town to kill.

Also, linking town to town would have been another strategy.  Not necessarily better, as linking everyone to Tric and then having Tric go Jester was a neat strategy as well.
Roden didn't hide enough, I think.  Met and Vector (D1) weren't very active, and Roden should have aspired to that level of activity.  With the strategy of Tric going jester and taking out several town players, the partner needed to survive to ELO on voting alone.

But, if mafia can't kill, and they are tied with town, do they still win?  I'm thinking YES, but dunno for sure.

For balance, mafia should have been given at least a 1-shot kill.  I was reasonably sure they were given that.

The key to binding town to town via this form of lovers is to identify which town players are mostly working together (in other words, the town players that are unlikely to lynch each other anyways).  Otherwise mafia might be binding mortal enemies together to plot the doom of the mafia team!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 15, 2021, 03:18:14 pm »

Had I been mafia in this iteration, I think I'd've claimed a one-shot homewrecking ability and started tying people to someone suspicious-looking other than my actual partner. "Tying multiple people to one mafia member to take them all out in a bus pile-up" is an obvious strategy if mafia have loversing, so I'd push the idea that the central figure is probably scum, and propose using my fictional ability to sever all his lover connections while we lynch him (and all the attached partners). Something like that might've worked out.
Without some promise of protection, I just don't think town would be that easy to convince to lynch someone known to be in a lovers pair, especially in such a small game where two players is a high sacrifice.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 15, 2021, 08:27:34 pm »

@Roden: Overall, your town and mafia games are similar, so good job on that!
However, as town you are an aggressive voter, whereas in this game as mafia you were very hesitant to vote.  Hope that helps!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 15, 2021, 09:06:05 pm »

I think Roden was actually on vacation for this round so just legitimately away/busy.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 15, 2021, 10:16:29 pm »

Yeah, I didn't want to sub out or ask for an extension, but I've been on vacation all this week. It'll actually be over by the time the next round starts, it was just poor timing that I got scum since I don't think it would've mattered as much if I was absent as town. Apologies to Tric, I held him back this game after our strong start as town round 1.

@Roden: Overall, your town and mafia games are similar, so good job on that!
However, as town you are an aggressive voter, whereas in this game as mafia you were very hesitant to vote.  Hope that helps!
That's good to know actually. I likely could've gotten away with being more aggressive in general this game, so I'll keep it in mind going forward.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 16, 2021, 05:14:27 pm »

Alright, I'm going to start writing up the final draft for Round 3's roles. I'm assuming Metruption is out since they haven't posted once to comment on the round's end, and I'll go ahead and check to see if Webadict and Max-Spin are ready. If they both are, we'll move to an eight-person game.
Generic Arms Race.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 16, 2021, 06:41:17 pm »

Yeah, I can play.
I... Am already playing?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 153