Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 93204 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R3, Day 1): March of the Gladiators
« Reply #735 on: October 17, 2021, 09:03:29 pm »

Maximum Spin based entirely on the premise that I think they're trying to coast by keeping their vote on me and simultaneously I don't want to have to unvote and vote someone else because I'm lazy.
I know you did that on purpose, so I'm just going to laugh.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 17, 2021, 09:04:24 pm »

Maximum Spin based entirely on the premise that I think they're trying to coast by keeping their vote on me and simultaneously I don't want to have to unvote and vote someone else because I'm lazy.
I know you did that on purpose, so I'm just going to laugh.
I do everything on purpose except win. That's by accident.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 17, 2021, 09:17:06 pm »

Roden: given there's a load of D1 copclaims, should town lynch today?

EuchreJack: has anyone in this game already told a lie?

Vector: if you found out you were vanilla town this round, would you be likely to play a gambit?

I have pertinent information that will likely get me killed if I reveal it but puts me at a disadvantage regardless, since revealing it is also helpful in narrowing down potential suspects, and, like, I'm gonna get killed tonight anyway, LOL.

But, I'll wait until everyone posts at least once.
Is insisting you'll die N1 the bay12 meta or something?
@NJW2000: What is the point with these questions?

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 17, 2021, 10:20:11 pm »

I can't choose my target at night, only my Captain can. I don't think they should claim today though, I want to see who they force me to target tonight.
Does the captaincy thing work roughly like this?

If so, rather than be completely passive, have you considered publically stating a handful of targets you'd be willing to jail, and refusing to action people outside of that?

Jailor is an important role. I don't particularly like the idea of a claimed jailor getting to hide behind a captaincy restriction, or a potentially scum captain mucking about with the town's jailor.
That sounds about right for my role. I should clarify that I'm not Compulsive, so going by the wiki I should have a choice about whether or not I go through with it.

I plan to Jail Web and only Web. If the Captain ever chooses anyone else, that is a confirmed scum claim and we should always vote them out if they ever try to make me target otherwise. As it is, Web and I are likely priority targets tonight, and Jailing either Cop would be detrimental.

I had an idea about having the Captain also having the Doc randomly target one of the Cops, which forces scum to spin the wheel and hope they don't pick a protected target, but going by the wiki the Captain apparently knows which roles they can command. So the Captain already knows Web's real role, and if they're scum then Web's role claim gambit won't do anything.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 17, 2021, 11:13:29 pm »

Hi,

1. I have an active role. I'd prefer not to full-claim, but my role also references the captain. I am not the captain.

2. I'm town ':V

3. Webadict
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 17, 2021, 11:22:03 pm »

@Maximum Spin:
@Vector and Max: Do you have active or passive roles? Are you willing to full claim?
I thought I already did. I mean, I wasn't subtle about it.

I'm not willing to be more direct at this moment. But there isn't a whole lot more direct to be.
What is with this behavior? You didn't react to me here and you're being evasive with everyone in general.

Where does this playful confidence stem from?

@NJW:
Where is Jack?
I imagine even EuchreJack may sometimes go twelve hours without posting to bay12.
I apologize, that was more towards Webadict only wanting to focus on Vector and Maximum Spin, but made no mention of Jack who hadn't posted yet. It seemed weird to me that he would omit Jack without even having a read.

@Jack:
Somebody is lying about their protective role, as I am a Bodyguard.  But then again, I have no idea what this Captain BS is about, so maybe I'm the only one that doesn't have to answer to anyone to use my ability.
I agree. I think there's one, and likely only one, mafia inside Roden/Web/Jack.

Pure statistics time!

We are in our 3rd game.
Round 1 mafia were: EuchreJack and Vector
Round 2 mafia were: Tricmagic and Roden
Town for both games were: Toonyman, NJW2000, and Met

New players are: Maximum Spin and Webadict.

Between Toonyman and NJW2000, one of them is "due" to be mafia, so I'd suggest they deserve "extra scrutiny".  They're probably paired with someone else, as it would be unfair to put them both on the scum team, to be outed by Math Alone.
This reasoning is bad. Do you agree?

@Webadict:
words
Wow you're being cocky as shit. I can't tell if this is deliberate or not to look town.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 17, 2021, 11:26:40 pm »

What is with this behavior? You didn't react to me here and you're being evasive with everyone in general.
I only answer questions I find interesting! What was I even supposed to say to that? I put my vote wherever I think it does the most good, that's all. That said, I don't think I'm being evasive, I just have a certain conversational style.

We haven't interacted too much, have we? This is just me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 17, 2021, 11:51:30 pm »

I only answer questions I find interesting! What was I even supposed to say to that? I put my vote wherever I think it does the most good, that's all. That said, I don't think I'm being evasive, I just have a certain conversational style.
We haven't interacted too much, have we? This is just me.

How do I agree with your votes and cases if I don't understand them?

I agree completely with webadict which means he's probably mafia, so vote stands.

What does that mean? What do you agree with? Why does that make them probably mafia?

For example, I feel like Web is getting too much heat today. I've been rereading the thread and looking at the votes in this round so far. Why would mafia!Web act like he has been, putting a bullseye on himself and being voted by over half the players (Maximum Spin, Roden, Tric, Jack, Vector)? If Roden didn't switch their vote to Vector then Web would have been hammered with Vector's vote. He's at L-1 right now! In Supernatural 10 mafia!Webadict didn't get more than two votes on himself throughout the entire game I believe. In addition, how would their partner react to this? It doesn't seem believable to me. This is a logical conclusion I have drawn and because I expressed my thoughts it allows others to see them.

Maximum Spin

Reads

I think Tric and Roden are town, again like R1
Web is maybe town or is playing horrible mafia
Don't know about NJW or Vector currently
Jack is suspicious to me
Maximum Spin is suspicious

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 18, 2021, 12:03:06 am »

How do I agree with your votes and cases if I don't understand them?
It's d1, I don't even have a case! Honestly, I prefer d1-no-lynch because there's no real data until someone gets killed, but that doesn't play well here, so I settle for lynching somebody for no better reason than to have data and watch the rope sway.

What does that mean? What do you agree with? Why does that make them probably mafia?
Man I don't even remember, do you always read this much into things? Okay, checking back, what I was agreeing with was that TM was going off into crazyland, which is known town TM behaviour. I didn't say that outright because I didn't want to be insulting. That probably making weber mafia was just meant as a jokey way to say that I wasn't moving my vote just yet, with the implication that anyone who seems reasonable in this game is probably mafia. In reality, it didn't have any effect on my vote, but I felt I should convey that I wasn't just leaving my vote in place out of sheer inattention.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 18, 2021, 04:11:49 am »

UNVOTE, I'd like to see more out of this D1.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 18, 2021, 04:14:38 am »

@Jack:
Somebody is lying about their protective role, as I am a Bodyguard.  But then again, I have no idea what this Captain BS is about, so maybe I'm the only one that doesn't have to answer to anyone to use my ability.
I agree. I think there's one, and likely only one, mafia inside Roden/Web/Jack.

Pure statistics time!

We are in our 3rd game.
Round 1 mafia were: EuchreJack and Vector
Round 2 mafia were: Tricmagic and Roden
Town for both games were: Toonyman, NJW2000, and Met

New players are: Maximum Spin and Webadict.

Between Toonyman and NJW2000, one of them is "due" to be mafia, so I'd suggest they deserve "extra scrutiny".  They're probably paired with someone else, as it would be unfair to put them both on the scum team, to be outed by Math Alone.
This reasoning is bad. Do you agree?

I'll admit, it is a dangerous line of reasoning, as random means random, and it can lead to us clearing players we shouldn't be clearing.  But...it'll be your turn sometime Toonyman.  You're not going to get through the entire tournament without rolling mafia.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 18, 2021, 04:19:34 am »

Jack is suspicious to me

Promise to feel a bit bad when I die N1 protecting you, alright?

Seriously, not sure its even worthwhile this round.  I'm going to die protecting you N1 (I have to, you're the claimed Cop), then watch the remainder of the game from the sidelines.  We don't even have a dead chat for me and the other dead to spectate!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 18, 2021, 04:24:35 am »

@Maximus Centrifigus: I mean, arguing a NL on D1 at 8p is not a bad suggestion, but the reason you want to go for one is hella sus, and your reason for not pushing for one is also hella sus. That makes you look, ya know, hella sus.

@ToonyPerson: If I die, I die! I am cocky because I have the leniency of still winning if I die. Also, I am not entirely sure if I could accurately fake this, but I could try. Mostly, I'm not gonna be angry if I get voted out for this. I will just be upset that the path of least resistance for some of these people is voting me because they don't believe in my divine gifts and benevolence. I am wayward Cassandra, o woe is me! Oh, and before I forget, I left Euchre out because they hadn't posted by that point and I had already determined it was Vector instead of EuchreJack.

@Wector: Yoooo, you're not doing yourself any favors with one word answers. If you're Mafia, you can totally let me know, and I won't tell anyone! I promise. Heck, I won't even vote you! (Shhhh! Nobody tell them!)

@YoukerJack: Sigh.

Now that that's out of the way, if you would like to vote me or Minimum Spin out, please let me post again before you do because I got that work thing tomorrow. Until then, I will shoft my vote to... No Launch

Jackie with the ninja.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 18, 2021, 04:25:20 am »

A bit suspicious that NJW2000 hasn't voted yet.  They usually throw one out by now...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 18, 2021, 04:41:24 am »

I can't choose my target at night, only my Captain can. I don't think they should claim today though, I want to see who they force me to target tonight.
Does the captaincy thing work roughly like this?

If so, rather than be completely passive, have you considered publically stating a handful of targets you'd be willing to jail, and refusing to action people outside of that?

Jailor is an important role. I don't particularly like the idea of a claimed jailor getting to hide behind a captaincy restriction, or a potentially scum captain mucking about with the town's jailor.
That sounds about right for my role. I should clarify that I'm not Compulsive, so going by the wiki I should have a choice about whether or not I go through with it.

I plan to Jail Web and only Web. If the Captain ever chooses anyone else, that is a confirmed scum claim and we should always vote them out if they ever try to make me target otherwise. As it is, Web and I are likely priority targets tonight, and Jailing either Cop would be detrimental.

I had an idea about having the Captain also having the Doc randomly target one of the Cops, which forces scum to spin the wheel and hope they don't pick a protected target, but going by the wiki the Captain apparently knows which roles they can command. So the Captain already knows Web's real role, and if they're scum then Web's role claim gambit won't do anything.

Jailkeeping Web is always a good play in any game of mafia.

From what the wiki said, the Captain knows the roles, not the people.

I'm flattered that you're stealing ideas from my last game regarding randomizing protects.  But it only works if the Doctor or the Captain declare.
Hm, but you've given me an idea for body-guarding, maybe I can make the same play and protect both Toonyman and Tric?
Alright: 50/50 place your bets scumbuckets!  I'll flip the coin, Head Toonyman, Tails Tric.  One gets bodyguarded.

Since Tric becomes a Real Cop upon inspecting me and my death, this is a good play I think.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 153