Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 94480 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R4, Day 1): Illuminating Lantern
« Reply #1275 on: November 08, 2021, 09:25:27 pm »

I took a moment to gather information. I do that because I have to deal with people like you.

you misrepresent me
Let's use your own words then. That'll give you an advantage.

you misrepresent me
Did I? Why don't you link that post? Is it this one?

I'm not asking why you're not claiming, although thank you for such a detailed answer to that question. I'm asking why you bothered to write anything further than "no", if you had to reply at all. And why you wrote something that looks like activity and takes up people's mental space, despite saying nothing. Because I don't see what this post does for town. I can see what it might do for scum!web, however.
The point was that the initial post was fishing for information, but your post was ALSO fishing for role information, and I unfortunately screwed up the real message in the post:
i will not be volunteering information unless Forced to, as my role can determine If others are lying. Or maybe it can't, who can tell? I'm not a lie detector. the mafia will naturally assume this is a Soft/Hardclaim, and they'll be wrong. it's actually a fAkeCLAiM, NERDS!
Forced If Or I'm[/i] Soft/Hardclaim, fAkeCLAiM, NERDS!
F I S H A CLA M NERDS!
I then politely made fun of you to your face by explaining the joke, but the joke wasn't exceptionally funny. It was, however, dead, and therefore pointless.
Clams and clams and fish and clams.
You killed the joke.

The worst part is that this isn't even the issue I have with your case. It's just a needle in my side that has annoyed me. Because you're a joke murderer.

Anyway, I'm going to not misrepresent you from here on out.
I wouldn't choose to deal with your nonsense if I were scum, I'd be "reluctantly" voting Tric for having posted a weak case
Would you? This guy has some sort of weird fascination with NOT suspecting TricMagic:
Well, I guess we're approaching the 75% mark rapidly, so it's worth posting reads. In summary: I want to lynch Web, or failing that within Roden/Toony/Max.

MaxSpin: Null.
TricMagic: Null.
Toonyman: weak lean scum
Roden: Lean scum.
Webadict: scum
Weird how Max is on that list but Tric isn't, but in the reads, Tric is lower (or at the same level, depending on how you look at it.) Feels like you're putting Tric here because you can't get away with putting Tric higher, and possibly because you don't want to put him lower.

or trying to get Max out on a policy lynch
Unlikely, that'd be a recipe for disaster, as it'd make you look bad the next day.
MaximumSpin:[/b] Apparently doesn't think you really find scum D1, actions reflect that belief. Asking if Toony reads into things a lot is a bit dubious, because a) we're playing mafia and b) Max seems to be someone who likes people to read them carefully, see Kurt Cobain reference somewhere above. Lean scum.
You have previously suspected Max before, but you were hesitantly defending them.
Oh, and in case people aren't getting the picture, Max is just like this. Thinks D1 lynches are pointless and stupid, moves discussion onto his theories about that, engages abrasively wherever possible, refers to conditional judgements as "weights on a directed graph". Does this kind of thing consistently D1 as town, and presumably as scum too. N. A. I.
But, you did give a good reason for their behavior, in a way that passively defends them. Now, your actions were intended to remove them from Town that game, by deflecting onto Maximum Spin, because you realized they were anti-Town, but you didn't push that case at all. If you were going to push that as scum, you'd have this as evidence against it.

But, that doesn't really matter. It's just intended to show some of your Town behavior.

or voting Roden because it's just what's expected of me
If you were Town, you wouldn't be suspecting Roden at all. Let's follow some logic on this one.
Roden: active, claimed their role and its restrictions promptly which mafia might not want to do, lean town
Roden has followed the exact same conditions as last game, but your suspicions appear to not be the same. This is even called out by EuchreJack in the previous game:
NJW2000, because townreading Roden is outside of your meta.  Plus, following your advice.  :P
Good. Now that there's pressure, use it by asking a question.
It's also odd because you're enticing Jack to bring pressure, which is certainly a helpful measure, as opposed to how you essentially treated Roden here. So weeeeeeird.

Your evidence on me is garbage, but that's not why you're suspicious. The reason why you're suspicious is because you don't believe your garbage.

I want you to read your reads from games 1-3.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've taken the liberty of highlighting the scum on your Day 1 reads, for posterity. I've left the colors out on your current game's reads, so that you can surprise us later:
EuchreJack: Town, extremely hung up on my first post in which I FoS'd him, constantly asking other people to post their reads on me, asking obviously pointless questions, I really wish this stuff was at least alignment indicative here. But nah, I don't think scum!EJ could fake this play, or would fixate so hard.

Vector: Town thus far, I don't see scum wandering in and simply announcing "scum have poison, more later". Obviously a read subject to change when we see more content.

MaxSpin: Null. I'm not going to make guesses about Max's alignment D1. Would still be very happy to eliminate them if nothing better is available.

TricMagic: Null. Aggressive focus on Roden, frustration at Webadict, very little else. I sympathise with his scumreading someone because of a claim he thinks shouldn't have been made, but the case he presented was really not good. Not enough information here to read Tric, although if the Roden thing is all they do today they'll be a prime elimination target.

Toonyman: weak lean scum, he's been defending people more than usual, I think. Has a whole lot of townreads too, but he'll do that as either alignment. No strong read on him, nor do I expect to have one D1.

Roden: Lean scum. Not much to say here, they seem to be sticking to their guns on the whole "putting people's names in a colour and doing nothing else is pressuring them" idea. Claim largely NAI I think. Need to see more content but right now it isn't looking good.

Webadict: scum. I don't trust the whole "this is a claim, actually no it isn't lol" stuff, for reasons I've explained. I don't think Web posts without an agenda - reread the last game. Max thinks they're exchanging banter about Wittgenstein or whatever, Web is actually using it as a way to communicate with their partner. His posts have reasons behind them. Also a slightly too strong reaction here followed by a refusal to actually answer my question doesn't look great. Also is engaging with Max on his philosophies of mafia, which was a good way to waste Town's time last round.
EuchreJack made a rather astute assessment, and I'm going to post it here:
I sense an aggression that was absent in other games.  It's like you're trying to smear players, rather than find scum.
And I think that this is absolutely true. Look at the difference between these Day 1 reads and tell me if you think games 1-3 are trying to smear the Town reads?

The worst part is that I haven't even really gotten to the main part of your post.

I called you out for playing like this in the last game, and I'm calling you out on it now - that's the only real correspondence with R3 worth considering, so you can stop complaining about references to the last game. You're doing what a scum player who wants to coast through D1 on a reputation for wacky and aggressive play does. Or, in a very marginal case, a town player who thinks their years of experience and strong mechanical/reads game gives them the right to clown about and harm town D1. And hey, if it's the second, good for you I guess. That kind of self-belief would be nice to have.
The easiest answer is that you believed it last game. Frankly, everyone has plenty of reason to vote me, and I honestly wouldn't fault anyone Town for doing so if they truly couldn't find a better target. Also, you had me listed as null last game, soooo, I'm not sure that that's a truly accurate statement at all. I actually did a reread of last game, and I'm actually pretty sure you never suspected me? But, if you'd like to prove me wrong, I suppose that's a fair assessment.

That's a start.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: November 08, 2021, 09:28:24 pm »

Also, EuchreJack, I'm not engaging with ToonyMan. If he wants to vote me, that's on him. I know he'll do it to break the tie. I would, too. It's entirely a fair proposition. But, I made a promise not to engage with him, and by the gods, I'm gonna fucking do it. Just like I won't fucking claim.

The best part is, the smart ones know I'm not lying. I'm Town, and I'll fucking take my secrets to the fucking grave, out of pure spite. Just so that you'll know I ain't no fuckin' liar.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: November 08, 2021, 09:39:13 pm »

I will break a tie by voting you Web if I have to, yes. I would prefer Tric or NJW though.

Day ends in about...4 hours and 20 minutes? I won't be online for that so I'll have to leave a final vote before going to bed.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 08, 2021, 10:14:59 pm »

I believe the Vote Count is as such:

ToonyMan (1): Roden
Roden (0):
TricMagic (2): Webadict, ToonyMan
EuchreJack (0):
NJW2000 (1): EuchreJack
Vector (0):
webadict (2): TricMagic, NJW2000
Maximum Spin (0):

No Execution (0):
Not Voting (2): Vector, Maximum Spin
5 to hammer.

Which means it will tie currently unless I vote Web.

I've looked at everybody's votes:

Roden has been sitting with a vote on me.
Web placed a vote on Tric and has left it there.
I placed a vote on NJW and then moved it to Tric.
Jack has sat on their NJW vote.
Tric has jumped around everywhere from Roden to me to Web I think.
NJW has been pursuing Webadict.
Vector and Max aren't voting I believe, come on guys.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 08, 2021, 10:17:30 pm »

There's something Web could do here to save themselves...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: November 08, 2021, 10:41:38 pm »

I may fall asleep at any point here, so I will say the following, just in case I am voted out, which I will admit is a bit of a mistake, but if it happens, it happens:

1.) EuchreJack, Roden, and ToonyMan are Town. If either ToonyMan or EuchreJack are scum, they are scum together. There is no other pairing that works.
1a.) Roden is unlikely to be paired with anyone.
2.) Vector is slightly Town. I don't like that they're not here. If Vector is scum, they are scum with one of the bottom three.
3.) I am 100% Town. If I die, I died proud of my actions today.
4.) Maximum Spin really sitting back on this one.
5.) NJW2000 has made an extremely shitty case against me. Probably the shittiest case I've ever seen from him.
6.) TricMagic exists and hasn't done anything, which is weirdly not like Tric for a variety of reasons.

I would only be willing to swap my vote to NJW or TricMagic. Maybe Max, but that's just because it's too funny.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: November 08, 2021, 11:01:11 pm »

TricMagic. I'm bleh on most of the conversation so far (hence no other good targets) and think that, in addition to my irritation with him, he's acting sus.

I'll answer other stuff later if I'm still alive, which, given the poison, I should be. So git yer outstanding questions for me ready for the beginning of D2.

(Sorry for the D1 laziness. I was out of town visiting friends all weekend, and then just got out of class/dinner now).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: November 08, 2021, 11:11:17 pm »

Yeah, okay, I'm fine with Vector. They are at least being honest in that last post.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: November 08, 2021, 11:28:05 pm »

Fine, I'll stay on Tric then. Sayonara cowboy.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: November 08, 2021, 11:30:53 pm »

Since it is 5 to hammer, I'll switch to TricMagic.  Let the discussion continue and eliminate fears of Web's D1 lynch.

As has been mentioned, Tric is both cool and incompetent, which sounds like scum!Tric.  GoodTown!Tric is cool and competent.  WeakTown!Tric is aggressive and incompetent.

Web has also been playing more like what I've seen of Town!Web rather than Mafia!Web.  The cold, calculating pursuit of scum.  Seemingly goofy (but more subdued than when mafia), escalating throughout the day to a conclusion.

...of course, if Tric flips town, we should heavily suspect both Toonyman and Web for planting the idea of Tric as scum.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: November 08, 2021, 11:33:53 pm »

Man, slapfight between web and NJW, not sure who to root for. Okay, I actually am sure. I just don't like it.

4.) Maximum Spin really sitting back on this one.
I seem to be consistently sleeping when people make the most noise right now. It is regrettable.

Right now, I most desire to lynch NJW2000. I could be convinced to vote for TM - uh, TricMagic, I keep forgetting there's two of them - because I agree that he is suspicious, but it gives less information. If nobody changes, I suppose I will.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: November 08, 2021, 11:35:50 pm »

Note: I usually scum read NJW on D1.  NJW then usually reveals their role on D2, to the supreme disadvantage of the actual mafia.  Will that trend continue?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: November 08, 2021, 11:41:05 pm »

...of course, if Tric flips town, we should heavily suspect both Toonyman and Web for planting the idea of Tric as scum.
Come at me bro, I live with my decisions.

(I wouldn't be able to contain my amusement if the scum team was me and Web again)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: November 08, 2021, 11:43:16 pm »

I just want to know whom each of you think I should vig n1, if I had such an ability.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: November 08, 2021, 11:50:54 pm »

I just want to know whom each of you think I should vig n1, if I had such an ability.

Damn, nice final hour discussion topic!

Honestly, you should vig no one.  You probably don't have unlimited shots, and I don't see you as the N1 kill.  Wait until N2 when you've got a better idea of who is scum, and perhaps those we think are scum will have actually revealed themselves as helpful townies. Vig N1 risks both killing a townie and losing valuable info.

I'm totally and genuinely surprised by this post Maximum Spin.  Good job!
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 153