Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 93178 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R4, Day 3): But Time And Time Again This One Erodes
« Reply #1605 on: November 14, 2021, 05:44:51 am »

The worst case scenario with Vector/NJW as the scum team is game over if one of them is not lynched.  Is that the case if I or Web are scum and they are lynched?
I don't understand why you think this is necessarily the case, but if we follow my plan, even if that is the case, we have a 50% chance of stopping it, and if one has to prime and the other ignite, as seems likely, we have a 50% chance of preventing the ignition completely and a 50% chance of preventing a prime.

What about N4?  Under your plan, you can only lynch one mafia a day, and you mislynch (from my point of view) someone today.

Web KNEW the correct name of Max's Night 1 power and thus must have been truthful about visiting Max unless Max is scum,
So? Maybe you knew it and told him.
I mean, Web's getting into the wild theories, here's a perfectly conceivable one: Both members of a Web and Jack team could have Prodigious Study. Oh, but Fallacy never does such a thing, they claim. It's not like he's capable of making a choice to do something unusual.
It isn't that Fallacy does things that are unusual (although Fallacy certainly DOES), but rather that Fallacy does things that are unique.  Your theory makes more sense if you assign me something else.

Speaking of wild & crazy theories:
1) Why is Web NOT voting Vector?
2) Why is Vector NOT accusing Web?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: November 14, 2021, 05:56:54 am »

@Maximum Spin: Thanks for unvoting Web for now.  We still need to hear from Roden & NJW2000.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: November 14, 2021, 05:59:26 am »

Well, I can construct the following alternate plan: Lynch Vector, Roden delays NJW if Vector was scum, or randomly from you and web if town. We can't lynch NJW reasonably, though, because if they are both town, Vector would also die.

The reason I chose the other way around is because I believe this version has higher chance of failure in less likely possible arrangements (Web/NJW, for example).
Under Web/NJW, it's possible that Web never actually used Prodigious Study on Vector, but (one of them; it's clear that there is an ability that can learn ability names, but not necessarily who has it or precisely what else it does) used it on me that turn instead. That would leave both of them free this turn.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: November 14, 2021, 06:00:14 am »

Also, I should add, partly because I am not sure Toonyman would go for lynching not-webadict.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: November 14, 2021, 06:09:32 am »

Also, I should add, partly because I am not sure Toonyman would go for lynching not-webadict.
Eh, I think it's possible for them to kiss and make up.  Toonyman has indicated more openness to the not-webadict world.

Well, I can construct the following alternate plan: Lynch Vector, Roden delays NJW if Vector was scum, or randomly from you and web if town. We can't lynch NJW reasonably, though, because if they are both town, Vector would also die.

The reason I chose the other way around is because I believe this version has higher chance of failure in less likely possible arrangements (Web/NJW, for example).
Under Web/NJW, it's possible that Web never actually used Prodigious Study on Vector, but (one of them; it's clear that there is an ability that can learn ability names, but not necessarily who has it or precisely what else it does) used it on me that turn instead. That would leave both of them free this turn.

I support the alternate plan.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: November 14, 2021, 06:15:51 am »

Unofficial Day 3 votecounts
    ToonyMan (0):
    Roden (0):
    EuchreJack (1): Vector
    NJW2000 (0):
    Vector (1): EuchreJack
    webadict (1): Toonyman
    Maximum Spin (0):

No Execution (0):
    Not Voting (4): Roden, NJW2000, webadict, Maximum Spin
    4 to hammer.

Day 3 has begun, and will end 4 PM Monday, Central/Forum time, or on a hammer.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: November 14, 2021, 07:42:10 am »

Jesus that's a lot of posts. I targeted Jack last night but I got role blocked. I don't really have any info to offer today, but I am shocked Toony turned out to be town. I genuinely thought he was scum trying make it look like I was fake bussing him. I'm still confused by what he was doing all of Day 2 even now, but if he's confirmed town now there's not much I can do but accept it and move on.

Jack said something earlier about me being mechanically clear, and I thought that this could just be TMI, but uh...I think technically he's mostly right. Vector claiming Poison status means my scum buddy would have to perform the NK action, which alone crosses out two people.

I can't be paired with Web since his Study action last night is confirmed by Max.

I can't be paired with Max since his ressurect is confirmed to have happened.

I can't be paired with NJW since he confirmed himself as Voyeur on Day 2 and he was targeted by a Poison Doc the same night Poison didn't land on anyone.

Toony, who was the basis of why I was seen as potential mafia, flipped town.

Jack and Vector are the only players who can't be ruled out through confirmed night actions. Though Vector's alignment resolves itself tonight anyway, if they don't die from Poison like they've claimed then we can just vote them out tomorrow. Which just leaves Jack, but I've heavily suspected Jack of being the Primer, and with Max having an ability called Ember Track and successfully using it on Jack, it sounds like that's actually just the truth?

Max or Web, what exactly does the Ember Track do?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: November 14, 2021, 07:50:47 am »

Jack and Vector are the only players who can't be ruled out through confirmed night actions. Though Vector's alignment resolves itself tonight anyway, if they don't die from Poison like they've claimed then we can just vote them out tomorrow.

If Vector is mafia and is not voted out, then there is no tomorrow.  Vector (or scumbuddy) detonates the 2 existing primes and 1 new prime.
There is no tomorrow where town can "fix this" if Vector is mafia.

Although, your delay might bring town a 50% of not losing N3.  But does that save town?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: November 14, 2021, 07:58:06 am »

@Roden: I do appreciate you looking into this, and revealing your results.  I simply ask for you to keep looking.  My apologies on the post volume, I think most of the volume is mine.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: November 14, 2021, 10:24:03 am »

Ok. I'm going to go through this page by page and answer anything that jumps out at me, but night speculation or a final decision on who to vote will have to wait, I have stuff on today.

I voyeured Webadict. They were not hit with any abilities. They certainly were not poisoned or anything interesting like that, which lets me rule out one line of play scum could have been making.

Spoiler: why (click to show/hide)

Early mechanical analysis: From the claims, I think we have to conclude multi-tasking mafia. Or possibly some insanely brazen plays like Web claiming to have Max's ability but reserving the option of never using it... Huh. My money's on some kind of multi-tasking though, or at the very least passive weirdness like Max's claim.

Spoiler: question for Web (click to show/hide)

@EuchreJack: what? Feel free not to answer that.

@Toony: pretty sure this is town EJ. This is just a gut or soulread or whatever, but I'll eat my hat if he's managed to keep up this demeanour as mafia.

@Anyone trying to mechanically solve this game: I'm not 100% certain, but I suspect mafia have something weird and powerful like a "your target's target" passive or a multitask. There's a revive ability, so we can probably assume mafia has something pretty messed up. Look at the last game: Roden, Tric and I spent all of D3 trying and failing to puzzle out mechanical nonsense, while Toony ensured an ML and Vector instantly zeroed in on the one scum player remaining. I'm going to be voting on reads enhanced by mechanical info, not mechanical info or reads used to choose between mechanically equal choices.

On voting Vector: this makes a weird kind of sense, in that if they're lying about the poison voting them is good, and if they're telling the truth it's not a meaningful ML. On the other hand, if Vector is town, which is really, really, really likely, this puts us at 6 players at the end of the day, possibly with one primed, making tomorrow quite possible LyLo. I think we're likely to hit LyLo in any case even if we ML today. So we should probably elim today, but yeah, I guess instead of a no-elimination we always vote Vector?

On Max:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My gut is saying Webadict is probably the best elimination. He's been key to both the MLs, and also copied an ignite ability. I'm not 100% on this, it's been a weird game. More later, please refrain from hammering while I'm gone.
One wheel short of a wagon

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: November 14, 2021, 10:51:58 am »

@NJW2000: The best answer I can give is that you've happily surprised me.
I can imagine a world in which Vector is scum with someone other than NJW2000.
However, the Vector-NJW2000 scum team is the worst case scenario, and I will continue to analyze according to that theory.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: November 14, 2021, 10:54:26 am »

@NJW2000: Okay, so your proposition is that my ability to copy investigative abilities... Is not Town because I could POTENTIALLY copy an ability that is one-shot POTENTIAL ignite???

What?!?

Man, we got ourselves a winner here. Fucking nailing these goals. My theories are wacky, but that one is pretty dumb.

@Euchre: I can only do so much before I have to point out the holes in ToonyMan's brain logic. If I lay off him, he'll still think he's right, so I'd rather humiliate him until he inevitably loses Town the game because he keeps trying to do the same thing over and over.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: November 14, 2021, 10:59:07 am »

@Anyone trying to mechanically solve this game: I'm not 100% certain, but I suspect mafia have something weird and powerful like a "your target's target" passive or a multitask. There's a revive ability, so we can probably assume mafia has something pretty messed up. Look at the last game: Roden, Tric and I spent all of D3 trying and failing to puzzle out mechanical nonsense, while Toony ensured an ML and Vector instantly zeroed in on the one scum player remaining. I'm going to be voting on reads enhanced by mechanical info, not mechanical info or reads used to choose between mechanically equal choices.
Also, you DID mechanically solve the game last Round. The only person who could've killed me N2 was ToonyMan!!!

Omfg!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: November 14, 2021, 11:05:39 am »

I mean, sure, but not D3 I didn't. Toony lasted until D5 when he really shouldn't have. My point is, relying on what one thinks is a mechanical solution can lead to nasty suprises and disappointments.
One wheel short of a wagon

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: November 14, 2021, 11:21:22 am »

I mean, sure, but not D3 I didn't. Toony lasted until D5 when he really shouldn't have. My point is, relying on what one thinks is a mechanical solution can lead to nasty suprises and disappointments.
Okay, but the game was fully solved when your role was flipped, and the only reason you didn't solve it D3 is because you didn't read your role. But, the game was, indeed, mechanically solved.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 153