Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 94397 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R4, Day 3): But Time And Time Again This One Erodes
« Reply #1770 on: November 15, 2021, 01:31:35 am »

Quote from: Votecount
ToonyMan (0):
Roden (0):
EuchreJack (0):
NJW2000 (2): Maximum Spin, EuchreJack
Vector (0):
webadict (4): ToonyMan, Vector, Roden, webadict
Maximum Spin (0):

No Execution (0):
Not Voting (1): NJW2000
4 to hammer.

ToonyMan, Vector, and Roden clustered around webadict, who was standing on the rim of the execution pit. He hollered. "Stop! Not another step closer! If you come any closer I'll throw myself into the pit. So don't test me!"

ToonyMan snorted. "Really." He stepped closer. webadict shrieked, threw up his arms, waving them madly. "Oh gods! He's calling my bluff! Ahahaha - oops." That last word, he spoke as his foot slipped over the edge of the execution pit.

It was decided that that would count as this dark day's execution. Still, at the very least, there would be the reward of finally doing in one of the interlopers, right?

Searching the room of this day's fallen, however, did not reveal any malign materials, nor any dangerous devices. webadict may have been crazy - the exhaustion of the day would snap anyone's mind - but he was innocent.

webadict was Town.

All that was left in his bedroom was a stack of textbooks stacked messily inside a backpack. It seemed that he was a company intern.

Investigative Student (town):
(Night) Prodigious Study [target]: You study your target in action. If they possess an investigative ability, you gain a permanent copy of that ability if you do not already have a copy of that ability. If they possess multiple investigative abilities, you only copy one of them (selected at random). Investigative abilities are abilities that return informative results after being used.

Vector chuckled darkly. "Fuck." Their chuckle turned into more of a cough, then a whimper, then a whisper. Their body hit the floor, unmoving.

There was only barely enough time to check their room as well, but the conclusion was practically inevitable, with a death like that.

Vector was Town.

Their drug kit was unlabeled - nobody else could muster the knowledge to use it. What a loss it was. What a loss they were.

2-Shot Poison Doctor (town):
(2-Shot, Night) Antidote [target]: You administer a poison-antidote injection, preventing your target from receiving the Poisoned status effect this Night. You only have two antidotes to use, however.

It was too dark to do anything more. Time was running out. There was so much loss. So much sacrifice. Time had been running out for a while, now.

Night 3 has begun. It will end Tuesday, at 1 AM (Central time) or when I have received and am able to process all needed Night actions or the absence thereof.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 02:00:25 am by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R4, Night 3): Now It Shudders And Cracks
« Reply #1771 on: November 16, 2021, 12:21:32 pm »

The previous day, five had left to their nightly rooms. This morning, however, only three returned. EuchreJack stared very nervously at NJW2000 and Roden.

"Where's Maximum Spin and ToonyMan?"

Roden shrugged. "I don't think they're coming." He nodded to NJW2000. EuchreJack's eyes widened and he took off, only to get shoved in the execution pit.

"Easy. What happened to the other two, anyways?"

Maximum Spin's body lay slumped on the floor, too weak to resist the poison.

Maximum Spin was Town.

Sickly Arsonist JOAT (town):
(1-Shot, Night) Healing Flames [target]: You cast a spiritual flame on your target, preventing them from being afflicted by the Poisoned status effect this Night. You kill your target if they have the Primed status effect.
(1-Shot, Night) Ember Tracking [target]: You use embers to scorch runes into the floor, and read them to determine who your target visits this Night. You kill your target if they have the Primed status effect.
(1-Shot, Night) Fire of Life [target]: You can only target dead players with this ability. You kindle a vital flame in your target’s heart, reviving them. If your target had the Primed status effect prior to their death, you kill them at the end of the Day after this ability was used. Furthermore, if you die after using this ability and the player you revived using this ability is still alive, your gifted fire dies and so do they.
(Auto) Sickly: If you receive the Poisoned status effect, you die immediately.

ToonyMan's body was whole, but his eyes were empty. His soul had left without its sustenance.

ToonyMan was Town.

Vengeful Roleblocker (town):
(Auto) Vengeful Roleblocker: When you are executed during the Day, during the following Night you may choose one player to haunt, which blocks their Night action (if they attempted any). They will be told that they were roleblocked if this does occur.

Roden chuckled. "Well that was lucky. Let's get out of here before those WUBA-Inc people figure out how the game ended."

NJW2000 poured some oil into the hotel doors' hinges. Carefully, with a smuggled crowbar, he leveraged the looseness of the hinges and tugged.

The doors came off.

But there was nothing outside. Only void.

Soft cracking came from behind them. Then every clock in the hotel shattered at once. Time snapped back for the final time.

Round 4 has ended! Mafia won, and as such, NJW2000 and Roden both gain 1 Victory Point.

The demon was awake.

The next Round shall begin Saturday, Central/Forum time after Totem Mafia ends. This will be the final Round.

Or, to summarize: of course a revive wasn't going to come with no strings attached. I'll post the Round summary in a bit.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 03:46:41 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R4, Round Over): The Demon Shatters Time
« Reply #1772 on: November 16, 2021, 12:35:51 pm »

I would like to bop the idiots who pushed my lynch when I had already said I'd claim if it came to it, and was going to claim on day 2. Town:Tric always dies when I'm asleep from people pushing the lynch while I can't counterclaim. Or so it seems like.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 12:38:59 pm by TricMagic »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: November 16, 2021, 12:41:47 pm »

You might say this wasn't close, but it really was.

I was utterly convinced there was one (and only one) mafia between NJW and Web after Tric flipped town on D1. It came down to a misread there.

Secondly, Roden was one vote away from being lynched on D2, however various reasons meant Vector hammered me instead.

Lastly, Max and Jack were 99% town after Webadict flipped town on D3, so if a 5p lylo actually happened (if I knew I would only be alive for one day, or if Max wasn't frail to poison, for example) it would have been over.

EDIT:
I had a really motivational opener for the 5p lylo too...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 12:48:59 pm by ToonyMan »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: November 16, 2021, 12:56:03 pm »

I'm out, I'd rather play Totem.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: November 16, 2021, 12:58:15 pm »

Full credit to EuchreJack for pretty much pinpointing the scumteam. Unfortunately credit doesn't give Victory Points.

Please note we'll be switching to Discord for any private chats needed for Round 5, as Quicktopic is approaching its end. I'd suggest getting ready to use Discord if you haven't already done so.

EuchreJack:
Inspector (town):
(Night) Inspect [target]: You check your target’s surroundings for clues related to disturbances, and learn whether or not your target was targeted by any action tonight.

TricMagic:
Sandwich Vendor (town):
(Night) Distribute [target]: You give your target a sandwich. They are informed that they received a sandwich during the Night.

Vector:
2-Shot Poison Doctor (town):
(2-Shot, Night) Antidote [target]: You administer a poison-antidote injection, preventing your target from receiving the Poisoned status effect this Night. You only have two antidotes to use, however.

ToonyMan:
Vengeful Roleblocker (town):
(Auto) Vengeful Roleblocker: When you are executed during the Day, during the following Night you may choose one player to haunt, which blocks their Night action (if they attempted any). They will be told that they were roleblocked if this does occur.

webadict:
Investigative Student (town):
(Night) Prodigious Study [target]: You study your target in action. If they possess an investigative ability, you gain a permanent copy of that ability if you do not already have a copy of that ability. If they possess multiple investigative abilities, you only copy one of them (selected at random). Investigative abilities are abilities that return informative results after being used.

Maximum Spin:
Sickly Arsonist JOAT (town):
(1-Shot, Night) Healing Flames [target]: You cast a spiritual flame on your target, preventing them from being afflicted by the Poisoned status effect this Night. You kill your target if they have the Primed status effect.
(1-Shot, Night) Ember Tracking [target]: You use embers to scorch runes into the floor, and read them to determine who your target visits this Night. You kill your target if they have the Primed status effect.
(1-Shot, Night) Fire of Life [target]: You can only target dead players with this ability. You kindle a vital flame in your target’s heart, reviving them. If your target had the Primed status effect prior to their death, you kill them at the end of the Day after this ability was used. Furthermore, if you die after using this ability and the player you revived using this ability is still alive, your gifted fire dies and so do they.
(Auto) Sickly: If you receive the Poisoned status effect, you die immediately.

Roden:
Delayer (mafia):
(Night) Delay [target]: You distort time, temporally shifting the target player’s action this Night (if any) to the following Night. They are given an ‘action failed’ result if they acted, then the following Night, they perform their displaced action. They will not perform their action if they are dead when they would perform it.

NJW2000:
Priming True Voyeur (mafia)
(Night) True Voyeur [target]: You learn the full text of any abilities used on your target this Night, pulling knowledge from the weave of the past using psychometric oils.
(Auto) Priming: When performing a Night action, you may choose to give the player or players you target the Primed status effect using your oils. (Players who are Primed are not aware that they are Primed.)

(Factional, Night) Poison [target]: You flood your target’s room with poisonous gas, causing them to become Poisoned. They will die at the end of the following Day, after that Day’s execution. They will be aware that they are Poisoned and what their death condition is.

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Noted. My apologies for the bad experience.

To be clear, the final Day was entirely winnable for Town. Executing a mafia member would have led to Vector dying anyways of course, but then you'd have 4 Town 1 Mafia. Even if that remaining mafia player poisoned Max anyways, you would have headed into a 3p LYLO.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 01:00:25 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: November 16, 2021, 01:02:59 pm »

And yes, the Delayer was Mafia.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: November 16, 2021, 01:08:56 pm »

I fully own my play here. I've noticed I'm extremely poor in dealing with logical mafia teams (Magma in Matrix6), which might be ironic since I try to emulate that approach as mafia myself.

And yes, the Delayer was Mafia.
Congratulations.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: November 16, 2021, 01:36:05 pm »

I’m also out, TTYL :)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: November 16, 2021, 01:46:22 pm »

I didn't have a bad experience. I did what I could. I just want to play Totem, and I can't play two games at once.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: November 16, 2021, 01:54:03 pm »

I'm happy to just announce NJW2000 the winner of our little tournament and move on with our lives.  I also have my doubts of my ability/fun to play two games at once.

Good job NJW2000, your consistent play as both mafia and town deserves you the win.

Some townies in this round did well.  Some townies did poorly.  I think you know who you are, so I'll leave it at that.

Roden, good job as mafia this round, good job as town in previous rounds.  You've earned your second place.  Dunno if you are sharing it with others, or if you alone are second place.

LOL, mafia never had the igniter.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: November 16, 2021, 02:07:28 pm »

LOL, mafia never had the igniter.
Yes, this is one of the reasons why Max was always town. I couldn't understand why Web would specifically target Max on N2 after learning Max had the igniter. It was the perfect frame job on himself. NJW of course brings this up and I caught it immediately since it's suspicious. NJW claiming their own prime was very smart as it implicated Vector if there was a situation where NJW was lynched first and Vector was still around.

EDIT:
Vector protecting NJW from poison the one night mafia choose not to poison is just...sigh...that definitely factored into my head of choosing between NJW and Web on D2.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 02:15:15 pm by ToonyMan »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: November 16, 2021, 02:16:41 pm »

I didn't have a bad experience. I did what I could. I just want to play Totem, and I can't play two games at once.
Well, Totem comes first, then we go to the next one of this. So no worries there.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: November 16, 2021, 02:22:47 pm »

If Round 5 takes place after Totem I could join Totem. I'm sort of against playing in more than one game nowadays.

Oh right, and yeah this setup seemed pretty good. Two mafia was spot on, and they were clearly the ones priming and poisoning people. Town were allowed to mislynch 3 times before losing which is actually a bit generous.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: November 16, 2021, 02:28:14 pm »

Toony, it never mattered who I targeted. You were going to vote me regardless. I picked Max because I could trust they were Town and would verify my action.

This is naturally evident by you literally making teams with everyone, including Max. You honestly would have discounted it, so it is silly to try to justify otherwise.

You looked like scum on D2, and you were never going to accept that, so you tunneled. My only hope was every other Townie voting with me on D3. I almost had that.

It was obvious Euchre was Town because he asked Vector if you were Mafia on Day 2. That was such a Town!Euchre play that it was impossible for me to ever vote Euchre.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 153