Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 94428 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R4, Round Over): The Demon Shatters Time
« Reply #1800 on: November 16, 2021, 03:55:32 pm »

Ah, but Toonyman wasn't under any real threat D1, so the tactic of threatening fellow townies with a Vengeful Townie could have worked a bit, if made at that time.

It was the claim on D2 when under scrutiny that made it look like a scum claim that in event of a mislynch could be rectified by the mislynched townie killing their suspected target.  Bad timing.

Or maybe Toonyman should have just kept quiet D2?  I thought Toonyman was a Bomb or Paranoid Gun Owner, both of which would have been useful fake claims for a town player to hide under.  Although if Roden truthfully delayed Toonyman, then Roden knew better on those claims.  But the 1-shot vigilante fake claim would have been solid.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: November 16, 2021, 04:03:44 pm »

Soooo, Toonyman, that was the complication I wanted you to know about. That and the fact that, if you'd been primed, you would've blown up at the end of day.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: November 16, 2021, 04:31:15 pm »

Looking at the game, the setup was certainly kinder to mafia than some of the previous rounds. It certainly was close, if not for the Sickly modifier town would probably have won.

I suspect the main thing that killed Town was the sheer quantity of posts D2 and D3. Too much text crowded out less prolific posters, and sapped people's will to play. This deprived town of input from people like Vector, and probably made scumhunting much harder.

Good job NJW2000, your consistent play as both mafia and town deserves you the win.
This is kind of you, but I haven't been that consistent... Round 3 had a pretty huge blunder. I think my not losing thus far has often been due to other players putting their best foot forward when I happened to be on their teams, especially Roden and some of the vets.

If people want to come back to a last round after the Totem game, I'd certainly be down to clown. But it's ok if it ends here.
One wheel short of a wagon

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: November 16, 2021, 04:33:19 pm »

It's fine Max, you couldn't tell me the revive had drawbacks without revealing it to mafia. I figured the game was over at that point anyway; you dying the same night due to poison frailty is icing on the cake.

Looking at the game, the setup was certainly kinder to mafia than some of the previous rounds. It certainly was close, if not for the Sickly modifier town would probably have won.
Nah, even if Max was still alive I was gone and mafia would have endgame'd 2v2.

I suspect the main thing that killed Town was the sheer quantity of posts D2 and D3. Too much text crowded out less prolific posters, and sapped people's will to play. This deprived town of input from people like Vector, and probably made scumhunting much harder.
It's true. It made me not want to look at anything besides D1.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 04:37:01 pm by ToonyMan »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: November 16, 2021, 04:48:50 pm »

I can certainly take some responsibility there, although I'm unsure how to do better in the future.  I'm working on it, maybe?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: November 16, 2021, 05:18:39 pm »

Nah, even if Max was still alive I was gone and mafia would have endgame'd 2v2.
I don't think you'd be gone if I lived, actually. You don't blow up if you're primed afterward, but you died because of the quasi-lovers bond.
(that's why I said "I'd have loved if you had been told" even though I knew that was way too subtle to convey, just a forlorn hope)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: November 16, 2021, 05:31:26 pm »

Wait shit really, that means if mafia poisoned me instead (since I was confirmed town that is a reasonable expectation) it really would have been a 5p lylo.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: November 16, 2021, 05:32:16 pm »

I'm happy to just announce NJW2000 the winner of our little tournament and move on with our lives.  I also have my doubts of my ability/fun to play two games at once.

Good job NJW2000, your consistent play as both mafia and town deserves you the win.

Some townies in this round did well.  Some townies did poorly.  I think you know who you are, so I'll leave it at that.

Roden, good job as mafia this round, good job as town in previous rounds.  You've earned your second place.  Dunno if you are sharing it with others, or if you alone are second place.

LOL, mafia never had the igniter.
Thanks Jack, but honestly I owe the win to NJW. I freaked out a couple times but he kept me calm even when I lost hope. After the ressurect happened, I genuinely thought we couldn't win it since our kills were slow and it felt impossible to try to trick Max into Igniting our Prime targets for extra kills. I kept expecting to get voted out, especially Day 2, and thought it was inevitable Day 3 until NJW pointed out how worn out and defeated everyone was feeling. He was also very detailed and methodical in the scumchat, which helped to map out our possible choices and keep things organized.

In hindsight I probably could've claimed anything since I never got to effectively use my Delay on anyone, but I think being truthful with almost everything I said helped me survive. The only thing I lied about was that it was impossible for me to be paired with NJW, everything else were genuine thoughts though. I really did think Toony was trying to fake distance with me (which confused me a lot), and I thought it was possible Max could be a surprise mafia ally or 3P Arsonist/weird Arsonist Vig. I know it's silly now but I got paranoid lol.

Here's the scum chat btw: https://www.quicktopic.com/53/H/QH8K2vLFggx

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: November 16, 2021, 05:33:43 pm »

Wait shit really, that means if mafia poisoned me instead (since I was confirmed town that is a reasonable expectation) it really would have been a 5p lylo.
You'll see in the chat that we did almost Poison you. Our best hope in the end though was to Poison Max and hope he tried to protect you from Poison but accidentally Ignite you as well.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: November 16, 2021, 05:39:18 pm »

I can certainly take some responsibility there, although I'm unsure how to do better in the future.  I'm working on it, maybe?
I don't think your posts were detrimental, and I actually really appreciated the constant vote counts.

The main thing that allowed NJW and I to hide our associations (or lack there of) was the Toony vs Web slap fight. Doubly so because once Web felt fatigued near the end of Day 3, I was able to attack him a lot more easily.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: November 16, 2021, 05:47:42 pm »

It wasn't your attack that did anything. Frankly, you had plenty of ammo throughout each Day that pointed you as scum. The 3P Arsonist claim was solid evidence for why you were scum. Additionally, you leaving off NJW2000 in your post on D3 was why I was okay with voting NJW2000 after that. Your attack was bound to happen, but I couldn't use it as evidence because Vector was gone, and ToonyMan would never believe me no matter what I did.

I was also bound by two clocks: NJW waking up and hammering and literal sleep. So I hammered regardless because I could tell everyone was exhausted. No point delaying the inevitable.

If I were scum, I definitely would've spewed earlier or never hammered.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R4, Day 3): But Time And Time Again This One Erodes
« Reply #1811 on: November 16, 2021, 06:10:35 pm »

Web, wtf are you doing? I can't be solo scum because I was role blocked when a Poison happened, and this isn't a bastard game so we know mafia can't bypass role blocks. Prime turning into Poison isn't a thing that could ever exist because again, this isn't a bastard game, plus it would severely handicap mafia if they had to wait for two days for their NK to actually do anything.

Furthermore, I already proved we can't be the scum team. I was role blocked the same night you performed your Study action, which NJW confirmed you have and Max confirmed that you did it successfully. Yet there was still Poison.

It's impossible for me to be solo scum, and the only players I could be paired with are Vector and Jack. And I've already explained that if me and Vector are the mafia team, we already lost since they wouldn't actually die from Poison today and instead get themself killed with the supposed Ignite factional ability. This leaves Jack as my only potential partner that is not only possible, but also doesn't end in an automatic loss for the mafia team. But you town read Jack, so I should be town through PoE.

"But what about Multitasking?"

Then I'm hard confirmed as town because I claimed to Delay Toony Night 1. If I was Multitasking Mafia, I could use my fractional kill and Delay someone, I wouldn't have to fake claim targeting Toony like you accused me of doing.

Preview edit: Guys. It makes it a lot harder to keep up when you hyper post. Give us time to talk.
^This is the person that ToonyMan says is Town.
Toony came to the same conclusion Jack did: I am mechanically cleared.

I cannot be solo scum. I can only be paired with either Jack or Toony, whom you both town read. In the case of Multitasking, I am hard cleared since faking targeting Toony would be pointless due to being free to target whoever I want while also targeting someone with the factional kill. There is no feasible way for me to be mafia.

What is there to dispute?
Let me explain the issues in this post, since I never got to it.

The first is that your action was unconfirmed on Day 1, a mistake that I don't think you would make. This is minorly suspicious though, as it doesn't really prove anything.
The second is that you specifically left off NJW2000. That... is a really, really weird thing to do. That was majorly suspicious. If you had said that NJW2000 was also not viable, I'd have reduced this to minorly suspicious. NJW2000 was still on my list for having an unconfirmed action N2, but I didn't have solid evidence that he was scum.
The third issue is actually one that was relevant to ToonyMan: You weren't mechanically cleared at all. If I had breathing room to point this out, I would've been able to make a solid case, which I suppose is how ToonyMan felt, but I never got a chance, as I had 3-4 posts half-written before I just decided it was bedtime. This was, again, majorly suspicious, especially because you are hooking ToonyMan into your claim that he literally could not confirm.
The fourth issue is actually fun: You semi-confirmed that Vector was Primed AND Poisoned. This actually reduces the team possibilities to you/NJW2000 as the only viable choice. Slightly above minorly suspicious. Like, 2x minor.
The fifth issue is that you made no guesses about my team. Less than minorly suspicious.
The sixth is the response: "I am hard cleared since faking targeting Toony would be pointless due to being free to target whoever I want while also targeting someone with the factional kill." I was literally claiming that exact this. It is majorly suspicious that you essentially admitted to it. However, it did point out my mistake with the Toony/Roden pairing from D2, which is that you would neverr have claimed to Delay Toony as Toony's partner. He would've coached you to claim something much less obvious.

And that's why I point out your response.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: November 16, 2021, 07:05:43 pm »

I actually went over in an earlier post about how I "couldn't" be paired with NJW, and that Vector's Poison is real if neither NJW or myself are paired with them. That's why I didn't mention it again.

The mechanical clear thing was obviously nonsense, but I was partially piggybacking off of Jack there. But also, I never lied about my role or night actions. I even tried to Delay Jack Night 2 even though I knew Toony was going to role block me. I considered Delaying Max to stop the ressurect but NJW disagreed with that decision, so I targeted Jack. That's actually another reason why I pushed so hard that I was mechanically cleared, because I really was telling the truth and almost every single accusation that was made against me was wrong. The only thing anyone got right was that I was Mafia.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 07:12:00 pm by Roden »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: November 16, 2021, 07:11:32 pm »

The problem with that is you can't use EuchreJack's argument because EJ would have to be scum if you weren't. You were using Townie's reasonings, but you never had a reason to use it because you can't know they're Town, especially since one of them needs to be scum.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: November 16, 2021, 07:14:26 pm »

That's true, and I did accuse Jack of being mafia pretty frequently. But that doesn't mean I can't still his reasoning to help myself anyway. Nobody just pointed out that hole in my logic.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 153