Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A new world: Opening Moves  (Read 2785 times)

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: A new world (now active!)
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2021, 08:02:13 am »

Thine name with cloth covered in life and chaos shall be Sarros. Thou art a male.

Create Life Action

The world turns and shakes as Sarros works his magic. Out of his efforts emerges a gigantic squid with telepathic and mind related abilities. “Thine name shall be Xelqu!

Install Loyalty Action

Perhaps worried that Xelqu will turn against him due to the dirty thief, He adds a loyalty spell when he makes it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 08:04:02 am by Knightwing64 »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 08:24:37 am »

Vylt looks about himself. It has been many migration-cycles since they have seen the sun. They were one of the last to do so, before all of kobold-kind was finally forced underground.

He sighed. A shame they’d yet again find it necessary to go to ground, then. But secrecy was paramount here. If they were being hunted, they would have little time to do the work they needed to do.

Still, he took a moment to appreciate his body, which felt stronger than it had in years. His age had been catching up to him; now, he feels as if all of his youth has returned.

Regardless. Focus. There is work to be done.

Vylt weaves a Great Magic about himself, pulling together a veil of stardust, stone, shadows, and secrecy. Let those who seek him out find naught but wisps around the corner, leading them on wild chases, never catching sight. The earth is a place to hide.

Feeling more assured of their secrecy, Vylt sets about his second working, worldshaping. Below the surface, stone and metal churn and shift. A vast cavern system grows, where once such was uncommon. Vylt knows that to achieve the scale they desire, they cannot specify much of the caverns’ nature, but that is no matter; more specific regions can be constructed at a later time. What is needed now is a place to find.

With that done, in a feat of small magic - small for a god, at least - Vylt’s form wavers and becomes translucent, and they dive into the ground, phasing through it to reach their cavern sanctum.

Upon reaching the depths, Vylt considers his options. Kobolds will need to be created, eventually, but to do so now would provide them nothing but a target on their back and his; they are too obvious. A different race might be more useful to begin with - but, ah, it may be best to let that wait until the locale may be more effectively established.
Hmn.

Absentmindedly, they wonder, and as they wonder, their powers scry to answer. Who, beside us, are the gods of this place? But the answer shall remain locked in his own head, until he has reason to share.

Question answered, Vylt sets to yet another work of Great Magic. A curse on the underground, or a blessing. The caverns shall shift, twisting and turning, such that direction is meaningless and the walls form or disappear behind you. Yet in this working, so too is declared an exception: where mortals congregate and live, where they sign the mark of the pickaxe in the walls, the caverns shall lie still, that they might build their homes to their desires.

And finally, within these deep stones, close to the heat of the core, Vylt builds a small forge. It does not look impressive; in fact, it looks cruder than anything humanity might call an acceptable forge. It barely looks “made” at all, more closely hewing to a natural lava spout with a big, flat rock next to it. But it is suffused with divine power, and suits Vylt’s needs. A place to forge, just as the earth.
And with a place to forge, forge he does, using minor magics to pull metals to himself for use, crafting them into a set of tools. A pickaxe, small enough to wield in one hand, good for mining and self-defense; and a shield - buckler, really - to deflect the blows that may come their way.

Construction done, Vylt moves on. It would not do to stay by something so easily located.

(Also, anybody want me to make a channel for this game on my Discord? I can post an invite if you guys are interested.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 12:27:21 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 02:40:51 pm »

Vylt looks about himself. It has been many migration-cycles since they have seen the sun. They were one of the last to do so, before all of kobold-kind was finally forced underground.

He sighed. A shame they’d yet again find it necessary to go to ground, then. But secrecy was paramount here. If they were being hunted, they would have little time to do the work they needed to do.

Still, he took a moment to appreciate his body, which felt stronger than it had in years. His age had been catching up to him; now, he feels as if all of his youth has returned.

Regardless. Focus. There is work to be done.

Vylt weaves a Great Magic about himself, pulling together a veil of stardust, stone, shadows, and secrecy. Let those who seek him out find naught but wisps around the corner, leading them on wild chases, never catching sight. The earth is a place to hide.

Feeling more assured of their secrecy, Vylt sets about his second working, worldshaping. Below the surface, stone and metal churn and shift. A vast cavern system grows, where once such was uncommon. Vylt knows that to achieve the scale they desire, they cannot specify much of the caverns’ nature, but that is no matter; more specific regions can be constructed at a later time. What is needed now is a place to find.

With that done, in a feat of small magic - small for a god, at least - Vylt’s form wavers and becomes translucent, and they dive into the ground, phasing through it to reach their cavern sanctum.

Upon reaching the depths, Vylt considers his options. Kobolds will need to be created, eventually, but to do so now would provide them nothing but a target on their back and his; they are too obvious. A different race might be more useful to begin with - but, ah, it may be best to let that wait until the locale may be more effectively established.
Hmn.

Absentmindedly, they wonder, and as they wonder, their powers scry to answer. Who, beside us, are the gods of this place? But the answer shall remain locked in his own head, until he has reason to share.

Question answered, Vylt sets to yet another work of Great Magic. A curse on the underground, or a blessing. The caverns shall shift, twisting and turning, such that direction is meaningless and the walls form or disappear behind you. Yet in this working, so too is declared an exception: where mortals congregate and live, where they sign the mark of the pickaxe in the walls, the caverns shall lie still, that they might build their homes to their desires.

And finally, within these deep stones, close to the heat of the core, Vylt builds a small forge. It does not look impressive; in fact, it looks cruder than anything humanity might call an acceptable forge. It barely looks “made” at all, more closely hewing to a natural lava spout with a big, flat rock next to it. But it is suffused with divine power, and suits Vylt’s needs. A place to forge, just as the earth.
And with a place to forge, forge he does, using minor magics to pull metals to himself for use, crafting them into a set of tools. A pickaxe, small enough to wield in one hand, good for mining and self-defense; and a shield - buckler, really - to deflect the blows that may come their way.

Construction done, Vylt moves on. It would not do to stay by something so easily located.

(Also, anybody want me to make a channel for this game on my Discord? I can post an invite if you guys are interested.)

(You could, But discord doesn’t work for me so it just be the rest of you.)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 02:54:22 pm »

(( Well, it's mostly pointless if we can't all congregate there. As an aside, I do have one question that was probably answered in the main post but I just overlooked. In terms of action points, do these reset every turn or do they stack? So in the case of Pharros, they've spent four, would they gain five next turn and now have six, or would they return to five? Either way, I'm pretty excited by this game. Hope we can keep a good log of all the fun stuff we create. ))
I've lost control of my life.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2021, 04:17:18 pm »

(( Well, it's mostly pointless if we can't all congregate there. As an aside, I do have one question that was probably answered in the main post but I just overlooked. In terms of action points, do these reset every turn or do they stack? So in the case of Pharros, they've spent four, would they gain five next turn and now have six, or would they return to five? Either way, I'm pretty excited by this game. Hope we can keep a good log of all the fun stuff we create. ))

(It stacks. We gain five each turn.)

Each mage god has half of their divinity, and will receive 5 points each turn.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2021, 05:01:31 pm »

(I'd interpreted it as resetting to your base value each turn; the only benefit of stocking up is being able to do more stuff in a turn, anyway, no actions are made to need more power than can be provided in a turn. That all said, this is Helmacon's game, and we should really just wait for them to explain it.)

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2021, 05:24:17 pm »

(I'd interpreted it as resetting to your base value each turn; the only benefit of stocking up is being able to do more stuff in a turn, anyway, no actions are made to need more power than can be provided in a turn. That all said, this is Helmacon's game, and we should really just wait for them to explain it.)

(True, I also have a idea, Is it possible to get like a truce of sorts? Like.. Vylt gives up his amulet and in exchange we leave him be and give him a good life while creating new kobold’s. Seems like a win-win. Although, That isn’t taking into account personal grudges and feelings, But it could happen. I think?)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2021, 05:31:01 pm »

(( Dare you turn against us. . ? Sarros! Allowing some snivelling worm to traipse our nascent world with the power of our divinity entwined and yet more?! Anathema! ))

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2021, 05:33:47 pm »

(( Dare you turn against us. . ? Sarros! Allowing some snivelling worm to traipse our nascent world with the power of our divinity entwined and yet more?! Anathema! ))

(No, It’s just the most intelligent and beneficial decision to make. Will you reconsider? However, If you don’t want too, I understand and shall continue to do what I was doing against my better judgement. Just looking out for the team.)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2021, 06:27:08 pm »

(True, I also have a idea, Is it possible to get like a truce of sorts? Like.. Vylt gives up his amulet and in exchange we leave him be and give him a good life while creating new kobold’s. Seems like a win-win. Although, That isn’t taking into account personal grudges and feelings, But it could happen. I think?)
(Truce, absolutely. Giving up the amulet, absolutely not. If I did that, I’d lose all of my ability to make sure anybody sticks to what was promised, and given everything-cide, Vylt has little reason to trust that you wouldn’t do it again. :P
But Vylt would gladly not be fighting if it’s not necessary. He won’t be the aggressor in any potential conflict.)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2021, 06:33:15 pm »

((Honestly, I’m a bit confused about we attacked the kobold. Did they help demons at some point? Did they attack us first? Or did an old mage just hate kobolds for some reason and start propaganda against them? An actual question for the GM))

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2021, 06:48:55 pm »

((Honestly, I’m a bit confused about we attacked the kobold. Did they help demons at some point? Did they attack us first? Or did an old mage just hate kobolds for some reason and start propaganda against them? An actual question for the GM))

(Well, In fantasy, Kobold’s are xenophobic little bastards who think they're gods because they have like 0.000001 percent of dragon blood in them. But it could be different, As it is his game.)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2021, 06:54:45 pm »

(( From what I've gatheredn our mages are not especially *moral* folks. At the very least we are incredibly ambitious as we've for the most part conquered another world, not neccessary alone, but regardless. We've chosen to undergo a rite that seeded a new world, one that we can be gods in. Surely anyone going to such lengths is a bit of a narcissist. Even so, there's no reason our mages three can't disagree on this. At the very least, Pharros despises the fact that such an insignificant cretin crept into our realm.))

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2021, 07:17:56 pm »

(My understanding of the situation: either as a prerequisite for doing the ritual uninterrupted, or just for the sake of it, the civilization that you three belong(ed) to conquered the world, genocided all the other races, and united humanity via force or diplomacy - and I suspect it was through force. You guys may or may not have been fully complicit, but I suspect you were at least the most complicit of the mages powerful enough to participate in the ritual, or else you wouldn’t have been allowed to participate.
The kobolds were the only race that survived in any capacity besides your personal empire because they were able to go to ground. I suspect that either the ritual is aware in some capacity of the civilizations in the world it’s in and splits magic evenly among them, or else that it takes a really long time, is really obvious, and is really easy to subvert, which is why you were going about removing all the other players from the board.
I can’t say much about the kobold culture - all we know is they survived and were able to subvert the ritual and successfully break in - but I suspect that whatever the original conflict was, by the time of game start, everything was just devoted to not dying, and maybe getting some bit of revenge. Vylt is much more focused on the survival part, and sees no reason to go after old grudges.)

(Of course, none of you know Vylt’s motivations in-character and he’d need you guys to talk to him first before he’s willing to express any of it to you :P )
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 07:24:12 pm by Glass »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2021, 07:51:38 pm »

(( I can pretty much agree with that interpretation. Whatever the outcome, as little as we've put forth so far, I'm super interested to see how our conflict will unfold. I LOVE games like this with unique concepts, and open creativity.))
Pages: 1 [2] 3