Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regarding (custom map) world modding tokens  (Read 1639 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Regarding (custom map) world modding tokens
« on: April 22, 2022, 07:18:35 am »

There seems to be a discrepency in some old world tokens that don't seem to be used anymore or least the wiki documentation doesn't offer much conversation about them, while acknowledging they do exist on the strings. It seems to suggest they're important for pre-laying down co-ordinates in worldmap settings and maybe machine made with perfectworld Id assume but id like to know more about their function and purpose, and if its viable to write them out by hand for reproducible settings (with a couple of editing cheats of course, i've never gotten along well with PW or alternatives)

A prime example is PFFD's north america v2 map found here, which uses the values and the 42. world cookbook, but otherwise documentation is scarce. Only Vjek on the 47.0 world cookbook thread seems to have much idea of what they're using, and Fleeting frames in one instance of the 43. thread.

[PS_EL:0:0:0] Elevation (seemingly for as far as the dimensions of the map needs it)
[PS_RF :0:0:0] Rainfall
[PS_TP :0:0:0] Temp
[PS_DR :0:0:0] Dryness
[PS_VL :0:0:0] Volcanivity?
[PS_SV :0:0:0] Savagery?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding (custom map) world modding tokens
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 12:18:20 pm »

Alright, mostly to put this thread to bed, i've since learnt the intricacies of how these actually work and indeed they are machine made, i wouldnt recommend anything but deleting a field of them to fix a percieved problem due to the complexity.

A touch bit of advice for custom PW maps for anybody who wants to use it step by step.
Startpage - Flick on all PW settings in every box

Imported heightmaps go into elevation as bitmaps, then you pass along and generate all the stuff you need page to page after page, a heighmap island for instance might not have all the water, so adjust sea level etc. have a play with all the sliders and figure out what they do, reimport bitmap to start again. You can just draw using the tool else for from-scratch.

After modifying them all to how you want them, save the mapset, then exit and re-enter PW

On re-entry, get your worldgen file, go down to a entry to super-impose the changes on, then open mapset and turn PW buttons mentioned in first step off until they all read pre-set, check the screens (should be same as mapset) then export to your usual worldgen file or extract and copy paste.

Obviously full gratitude and courtesy to anybody you use a heightmap or the utility itself from. Common places to get them include other games like OTTD, Sim-City 4, or off the web. Where usually you can do a simple resizing job using common computer editing software like microsoft paint until they fit the dimensions of the image.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 01:17:30 pm by FantasticDorf »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Regarding (custom map) world modding tokens
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 03:51:33 pm »

[PS_EL:0:0:0] Elevation (seemingly for as far as the dimensions of the map needs it)
[PS_RF:0:0:0] Rainfall
[PS_TP:0:0:0] Temp
[PS_DR:0:0:0] Dryness
[PS_VL:0:0:0] Volcanivity?
[PS_SV:0:0:0] Savagery?
DR is Drainage, but the rest of those appear to be correct (and the term for VL is "Volcanism").
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.