Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vestals of the Waves (OOC)  (Read 1259 times)

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
Vestals of the Waves (OOC)
« on: May 12, 2022, 01:14:01 am »

In this world, everything has Will. Literally everything. Every Will has desires, and this is responsible for the properties of the Object. A weight falls because the planet has the desire to pull things towards it - and a very strong Will that overcomes the Will of the weight. In this way, Will is a measure of the strength of the Object's desires and its ability to affect the world around it.

Some things, when they reach enough Will, spawn Vestals - embodiments of the Object's Will. Vestals are intimately tied to the thing that spawned them. The Object's Will is their Will.

Vestals come in many forms, and so do the Objects that spawn them. Some things it makes sense to have a Vestal for. Seas and lakes, mountains, important buildings. The old concept of genius loci. Some Vestals are... less conventional.

Wartime brings out the best and worst in mankind. Warships have long been symbols of power, wealth, and patriotism. Why would a Vestal of a warship be any stranger than a Vestal for a mountain?

Vestals exist, at the simplest level, to exert the Will of their parent Object on the world around them. Most Vestals, however, are... more. They have a Domain which they have power over, and the prerogative to, most of the time, protect and guide their Domain. This is from whence their Authority stems - the manifestation of their Will on the world.

Traditionally, Vestals have been enigmatic and secluded beings - yet this changed, like many things did, at the turn of the century. There is a sharp generational divide between the old guard, which align themselves with the True Gods above; and the newer Vestals that reject the old order. Vestals have long protected and nurtured mankind. Is it so radical, the new thinking goes, for a Vestal of a ship to protect and fight alongside sailors in wartime?

Spoiler: Some background (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sheet and Mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sample Sheet (click to show/hide)

Note: This will be the first RP that I am GMing. Expect jank and teething trouble as I figure things out.

Link to IC
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:41:10 pm by Iris »
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vestals of the Waves (OOC)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 01:14:20 am »

Reserved for later.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute Vampire Witch Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 01:18:27 am »

« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 03:03:15 pm by Takosher »
Am Shami, I run RPs. People seem to like them.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 07:07:53 am »

Spoiler: plane man bad (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 05:42:02 pm by Chevaleresse »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 09:34:23 am »

PTW, may throw up a sheet, trying to not overwhelm myself with forum games so we'll see
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 09:53:15 am »

Reserving a spot for a sheet for when I managed to piece some time together.

Small summaries of things written. Will fill out with more detail later.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 04:45:47 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 09:23:16 pm »

First of all, I will be waiting some more for character applications. I am thinking of accepting 4-6 people, and it will not be first-come-first-serve, so you may still have a chance to be accepted.

Second of all, a clarification: character points for tonnage rounds down, while the total stealth points round up.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 11:28:19 pm »

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 07:42:45 pm by SOLDIER First »
Black lives matter.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 04:22:50 pm »

Reserving a spot for a sheet for when I managed to piece some time together.

Small summaries of things written. Will fill out with more detail later.

I'm not entirely sure I can allow this from a ship design standpoint - carriers are still experimental, and the closest comparisons from IRL, Lexington and Kaga, both are finished later in the decade and were a direct result of the Washington Treaty making it unfeasible to make a purpose-built carrier. Without the treaty system, it's entirely possible that carriers would be delayed, and it wouldn't make sense to use a battleship hull.

Also, some more clarifications that really should have been in the OP: The tonnage numbers given are for the most modern ships in service. Tonnage climbed drastically over time in this era.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 04:38:27 pm »

I'm not entirely sure I can allow this from a ship design standpoint - carriers are still experimental, and the closest comparisons from IRL, Lexington and Kaga, both are finished later in the decade and were a direct result of the Washington Treaty making it unfeasible to make a purpose-built carrier. Without the treaty system, it's entirely possible that carriers would be delayed, and it wouldn't make sense to use a battleship hull.
Currently working on filling out the sheet, but part of the idea is that the ship was converted from a battleship to something that's really more akin to a floating wall. During the refits, it was noted that the opened-up main deck could carry planes. Essentially: it's not a purpose-built aircraft carrier, it's just that there's not really a better term for what the ship is.

Does that make sense, or does that stuff need to get revised?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 04:48:04 pm »

...what warship has ever filled the role of "floating wall?" Why would you rip the guns off a perfectly good battleship?

Also, a flight deck and aircraft handling facilities are rather far removed from empty deck space on a traditional warship.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 04:49:24 pm »

Blame magic. Tormund can redirect attacks on others toward him, and attacks on other ships toward the Verity.

This results in the opportunity for a very weird tactical role.

(Also note that I am 0% familiar with naval stuff.)

This was an idea I had... two days ago, at 2:30 in the morning. Technically yesterday, but I say the day changes at sunrise and not before, fuck standard time.
But yeah, 2:30 in the morning.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 04:51:59 pm by Glass »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 04:53:26 pm »

Ships aren't built with Vestals in mind, they acquire them occasionally but it can't be controlled.

A floating wall is literally just a waste of fuel. It would actually be better off sunk somewhere useful, like in front of an enemy harbor.

The described concept doesn't make sense in any naval context. The function of a warship is to be a floating weapons platform; why would you want a weapons platform with no weapons? Why would anyone shoot at it? How would it accomplish anything in combat, let alone do something that would prompt a Vestal to form? Why would you take the weaponry off a perfectly good warship to get that same warship but with no guns?

TL;DR think harder about why a ship would exist. I can help if you need.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 04:59:48 pm »

1. The ship did not start designed like that, it was refitted after Tormund started existing to take advantage of his Authority.
2. Nobody decides to shoot it. The damage goes to it regardless, rather than any of the other ships.
3. I'll be honest, I don't really understand how the Vestal-spawning process works or what to do for it, no matter what sort of Authority I eventually give them. All I've really got in my head for that is "protection stuff???"
4. The guns are removed to allow for even more armor, allowing other ships with much lighter armor but also much heavier armaments to do stuff that would be even riskier otherwise.

Furthermore, I am 100% willing to scrap the idea if all of this is just stupid. I am not a person who knows how to into bote.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 05:07:26 pm »

Still seems like a pretty odd concept. The warship should, in theory, still be useful in lieu of the Vestal, particularly since Vestals seem to be somewhat controversial as combatants. That's where the rest of the questions come in; a government wouldn't waste extremely valuable budget and manpower making a capital ship less useful on a crapshoot that half of them don't want to even attempt. Extending this, it makes less sense for them to construct fleet strategy around such a refit.

Also, you can't generally just shave off armaments for protection past the design phase. Adding armor to ships is hard and usually not worth the expense over just making a new, better ship. IMO you'd be better served by just, playing a normal-ass dreadnought.
GM of Trespassers V2.
Pages: [1] 2