Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Author Topic: Beginner Mafia: BYOR Edition - Game Over!  (Read 23671 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Mafia: BYOR Edition - Day 1: Find The Thieves!
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2022, 03:56:20 pm »

I'm trying to get him to react. It's not working, and that just makes me suspect him even more. This isn't Town Jack, he'd be posting all over the place, this is a calculating Jack held back by a teammate. Even him calling me town is odd so early on, more a way to get me off that path. Especially when I just sweeped the last game I was Cult in.

Dude, it's one vote and you're already getting a ton of crap about it. I've been busy, and had a few internet issues.

Seems to me that I can learn plenty about you by letting everyone else go after you, while I talk with other people. Does that make sense to you?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2022, 04:04:06 pm »

An interesting discussion!
...the fact it dissuades us from Chinese Fire Drill alone makes it worthwhile.

Can you explain what you mean by Chinese Fire Drill in this instance?

A very good question, and something important to explain to newer members.
A Chinese Fire Drill is when most of the players repeatedly swap their votes between two or more players in the last 5-10 minutes of the game. It's most likely to occur when several players are just following the votes of one or two more experienced players.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2022, 04:08:20 pm »

I'm just going to vote for someone with no votes yet. I'm not going to pile on with someone with high votes already, because I don't want to be involved in "lynching" anyone, wherein due to the fact that I have little-to-no evidence yet to really go off of. BluarianKnight.
Just an FYI, not wanting to be involved in eventually lynching someone is scummy. Our only way to kill scum is by the Lynch. Not lynching usually means Mafia wins, as typically Mafia has a night kill and town does not.

But I like the rest of the post, hence my giving you advice rather than voting you. We need more people actually playing like Lidku.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2022, 04:26:56 pm »

Well, I'm feeling better about Roden, and Jim isn't being enough of an asshole, so Jim Groovester
I mean, he hasn't even called me an Idiot yet, and we're been playing for approximately 54 hours!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2022, 05:28:53 pm »

Let's take a moment to talk about activity. But first, let's see what I've said about activity in previous Beginner's Mafias.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, I've had quite a few strong words about activity and its importance.

I'd say being active (purposefully active, not senselessly active) is more valuable for a beginner than knowing what to do. I would recommend all players increase their level of activity to make for a more enjoyable experience for everyone.

Max, I wouldn’t recommend picking Lidku either, killing somebody d1 in one of their first games is kinda a dick move, and there’s no reason mafia wouldn’t just leave them alone and trick them into voting for the more dangerous townies.
I would tend to agree with this. Plus, if a new player rolled Mafia, they would probably get one or more teammates that are more experienced and thus more of a thread.

I mean, if a new player outright scumslips, then yeah vote scum. But ideally, we'd eliminate scum among the more experienced players.

I generally agree that in a Beginner's Mafia letting the beginners actually play is probably more worthwhile than going after them hard, but I also caution you that beginners can still be scum.

I'm just going to vote for someone with no votes yet. I'm not going to pile on with someone with high votes already, because I don't want to be involved in "lynching" anyone, wherein due to the fact that I have little-to-no evidence yet to really go off of. BluarianKnight.

You gotta do more than this, man.

Forming a consensus on who to lynch is an essential part of the day game for the town. Laying your cards on the table, discussing who you want to lynch and who you don't want to lynch is typical, as is some amount of bargaining as well as challenging other players to see whether what they say they want is actually what they do want.

Unfortunately you won't be able to succeed in this game without a certain amount of bloodthirstyness.

But it's not personal, it's just how the game is played.

So unless you're trying to radiate some D1 power play I want a more reasonable answer on why you're trying to kick Euchre like a limping puppy.

EuchreJack's no stranger to abuse so this raises my eyebrow a little.

PPE: the fucker even begs for it geez

What's more concerning to you: is it the amount of aggression, or that it's being directed at EuchreJack?

I'm trying to get him to react. It's not working, and that just makes me suspect him even more. This isn't Town Jack, he'd be posting all over the place, this is a calculating Jack held back by a teammate. Even him calling me town is odd so early on, more a way to get me off that path. Especially when I just sweeped the last game I was Cult in.

I would've agreed with your read about EuchreJack's activity if he hadn't posted four times in a row just now.

Or is the fact I have a Super tagged ability causing people to get on me?

Does every BYOR have to be a repeat of every other BYOR?

Why would any of the attacks directed at you be about your role when you haven't brought it up at all until now?

It being a starting vote is also a decent reason, as there isn't much else to talk about at the moment.

You can get on me all you want, but remember this. I'd have to be in it alone for me to be scum. So either way you look at it, me being lynched doesn't help you there.

Sure I could be scum with someone, but wher'es the evidence?

The rest of this post seems pricklier than necessary.

Seems to me that I can learn plenty about you by letting everyone else go after you, while I talk with other people. Does that make sense to you?

Kind of a bizarrely passive tact to take with TricMagic.

Well, I'm feeling better about Roden, and Jim isn't being enough of an asshole, so Jim Groovester
I mean, he hasn't even called me an Idiot yet, and we're been playing for approximately 54 hours!

Was the one post Roden made between when you voted him and your post here really enough to make you feel better about him?

Here's where I'm at so far in the game.

BluarianKnight - always perma scum forever and ever more but actually he's not reading scum to me super hard like normal
EuchreJack - Haven't decided if this is on-brand town EuchreJack yet. I've noted some issues but usually issues like this can be resolved with EuchreJack confidently and rapidly posting completely irrational nonsense.
Knightwing64 - putting in a decent amount of effort. Still not sure about him; I forget which game it was but he was scum in it and I underestimated him. I'm inclined to read Knightwing64 favorably rather than not so far.
Lidku - probably town just because of ignorance about the game type
Maximum Spin - kind of quiet but fine
Oliverz144 - ?????????????????????????????
Roden - kind of quiet but fine
TricMagic - TricMagic thinking the attacks on him are about his role is 100% original flavor on-brand TricMagic, but the defensiveness in general is causing me unease. Feels like he's being more defensive than he needs to be given the amount of votes he currently has and the time until deadline.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2022, 06:31:10 pm »

Nothing was really happening. This is a good post though Jim.

Also I breadcrumbed the very first post I made.

I don’t steal things, so that’s one person cleared.

Nah, but actually I’m gonna wait a little bit for more info to come out, then I’ll post again in a little bit.

What a Super start Knightwing, but where were you at lunchtime? I was in my workshop.  :P

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2022, 07:19:10 pm »

Nothing was really happening. This is a good post though Jim.

Also I breadcrumbed the very first post I made.

I don’t steal things, so that’s one person cleared.

Nah, but actually I’m gonna wait a little bit for more info to come out, then I’ll post again in a little bit.

What a Super start Knightwing, but where were you at lunchtime? I was in my workshop.  :P

Ah so!
I'll happily abstain from voting you if you give me stuff!
I'll even "forget" to mention Mafia Inventors and how Toony completely and utterly fooled me as one!

Eh, feeling better about Jim for now, so Unvote.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2022, 07:30:17 pm »

Hmm...TricMagic

I agree with Blu that we shouldn't come to a consensus on the Vig target if one exists. Web usually gives scum abilities that counter mass PR claims and action organizing.

Hm, Town!Roden usually tries to mechanically solve, yet this post explains why Roden isn't doing that.

Maybe Jim has a point and I shouldn't have switched to him from Roden. Then again, if I read some anger and frustration into this post:
Maybe it would be a good idea for the newer players to put some votes down so that we can get an idea of where their heads are at.
...then that would be town!Roden. But that is reading a lot.

@Roden: What are your thoughts on the current game state?

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2022, 07:32:12 pm »

Rodent’s post seemed pretty clear headed tho? Putting anger into it would be a reach, don’t you think? But your the resident Roden expert, I guess.  :D

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2022, 08:09:58 pm »

Does every BYOR have to be a repeat of every other BYOR?
"a repeat of every other BYOR" would've been an interesting role though.
Maximum Spin - kind of quiet but fine
I suppose that's true. I haven't been feeling my best and it's been a little hard to dredge up the effort. Now that the thread's picking up a bit I'll try harder.
I'll even "forget" to mention Mafia Inventors and how Toony completely and utterly fooled me as one!
Please do, I do not wish to remember it  :'(

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2022, 08:29:00 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
TricMagic - 3 - Roden*, Jim Groovester*, BluarianKnight*,
BluarianKnight - 1 - Lidku*,
EuchreJack - 1 - TricMagic*,
Jim Groovester - 0 -
Knightwing64 - 0 -
Lidku - 0 -
Maximum Spin - 0 -
Oliverz144 - 0 -
Roden - 0 -
No One - 0 -

Not Voting - 4 - EuchreJack*, Knightwing64, Maximum Spin, Oliverz144,

5 to Hammer. Day ends on June 21, 2022 at 20:00 CDT (~47 hours remaining).

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2022, 10:21:52 pm »

Hmm...TricMagic

I agree with Blu that we shouldn't come to a consensus on the Vig target if one exists. Web usually gives scum abilities that counter mass PR claims and action organizing.

Hm, Town!Roden usually tries to mechanically solve, yet this post explains why Roden isn't doing that.

Maybe Jim has a point and I shouldn't have switched to him from Roden. Then again, if I read some anger and frustration into this post:
Maybe it would be a good idea for the newer players to put some votes down so that we can get an idea of where their heads are at.
...then that would be town!Roden. But that is reading a lot.

@Roden: What are your thoughts on the current game state?
Game state is pretty dead, it feels like a lot of people are too apprehensive to make a serious push somewhere. I'm hoping Oliver shows up soon and makes an impact.

Also I'm not trying to mechanically solve because that just isn't a good idea today. Day 2 claims will likely help us lock down scum since we'll have more information to work with.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2022, 10:30:02 pm »

Just an FYI, not wanting to be involved in eventually lynching someone is scummy. Our only way to kill scum is by the Lynch. Not lynching usually means Mafia wins, as typically Mafia has a night kill and town does not.

But I like the rest of the post, hence my giving you advice rather than voting you. We need more people actually playing like Lidku.

But I don't understand. If the person lynched isn't "scum" so-to-speak, then all that does is kill another townsperson. Along with that, when Night comes, then the Mafia will kill another townsperson. That's just two townspeople down.

There isn't really real way to tell who's "scum", since talking in the thread doesn't give real evidence. It's just talking. And the other posters will seemingly stay quiet, so that even branches out an even smaller avenue of discerning who's who.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2022, 11:02:08 pm »

There isn't really real way to tell who's "scum", since talking in the thread doesn't give real evidence. It's just talking. And the other posters will seemingly stay quiet, so that even branches out an even smaller avenue of discerning who's who.
This is theoretically true, but you severely overestimate the ability of players to avoid giving away all their secrets through subtle behavioral tells. :P

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2022, 12:20:56 am »

PTW
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27