Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 64

Author Topic: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Game Over!  (Read 34836 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Day 2: Pecking Orders
« Reply #585 on: July 15, 2022, 08:51:07 pm »

I don't really know what to think about Tric. This is all totally consistent with Established Town Tric Rules, but something has also felt kind of off to me the whole time. I admit the role does seem absurd, but keep in mind we don't actually know what it does; there could be details Tric is reserving or just forgetting. :P

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 15, 2022, 09:06:48 pm »

Could just be the fact I'm alone and my goal Day 1 was to survive to Night 1. Past that, not much at the moment.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #587 on: July 15, 2022, 09:38:13 pm »

Least I have a solid explanation for why I did nothing last night...

Also, you're the one who's constantly misinterpreted things. Want me dead that badly? Do it tonight, rather than try and lynch me.

My reason for not doing anything on N1 is something I already addressed:

You, Lidku, did not perform a night action, but we don't know why not.

The only other person it could be that did the Crane is likely NJW or myself, and I'm excluding me doing it for obvious reasons.

I didn't do any night action because my role, Galactic Patrol Officer, primarily has "bus" abilities attached to it. I did not know who I should've targeted to have any effects go on me, so I simply chose not to do any action N1.

Besides the bus-style abilities I have, I only have 1-Super Protect. I'm reserving to use that until it's needed.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 15, 2022, 11:15:14 pm »

Claiming no actions on a night with no kill isn't particularly scummy to my mind - in fact, scum very frequently have other abilities allowing them to not kill and take an action, so it would be strange if they neither killed nor acted.

What I'm trying to figure out is how come no mafiakill occurred.
I know this is fairly far back in the conversation, but NJW, I actually agree with this. Most of the claimed night actions are confirmable, so I see a number of them making various players involved with the actions more likely to be town, which is why focusing on the non-actors seems reasonable to me, but you are correct that there's nothing inherently scummy in not acting on a no-kill night.

Tric: I'm under the impression that you've played a number of past games at this point, could you link some of them? especially BYORs moderated by Web, and the more recent the games are the better for my purposes.

Lidku: could you explain why Bussing two players at random, assuming you have a null read of literally everyone in the game, would be a bad judgement call?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 15, 2022, 11:28:30 pm »

Tric: I'm under the impression that you've played a number of past games at this point, could you link some of them? especially BYORs moderated by Web, and the more recent the games are the better for my purposes.
Well, the obvious choice is obvious, so I'll throw it in for both of you: The prequel to this one.

It seems to contain a good selection of everyone involved's typical behavior, really. Man, I was really out of it for d1 that time. I even used emoticons. You thought this one was bad.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 16, 2022, 12:31:09 am »

If Shakerag was scum, it'd be easy enough to fake his claimed action. Since Lenglon is already on everyone's town core list he doesn't lose much by 'confirming' her. Not definitive, but worth pointing out.

Valid observation.  I obviously can't counter that without dying during the night phase.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 16, 2022, 12:42:02 am »

Well fuck it, I'm gonna full role claim. 

I am "The Beginner BYOR 2 Role That Won’t Ruin The Balance "

all of my abilities are 1-shots.

I can bodyguard someone, I used that on Lenglon N1.
I can do a delay roleblock.
I can remove an ability from someone.
I can give one of my abilities to someone.
And I can choose an ability and use it twice.

I don't really like this role, but I'm open to advice on who I should do what to. 

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 16, 2022, 12:55:55 am »

I'm still sus on FallacyofUrist because there is no good explanation as to how he was able to target Maximum Spin

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 16, 2022, 05:37:40 am »

Well, the obvious choice is obvious, so I'll throw it in for both of you: The prequel to this one.

It seems to contain a good selection of everyone involved's typical behavior, really. Man, I was really out of it for d1 that time. I even used emoticons. You thought this one was bad.
Briefly reviewed that and didn't see what I was looking for, which was sad but also a long-shot anyway. We try things, sometimes they work.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #594 on: July 16, 2022, 08:50:57 am »

Claiming no actions on a night with no kill isn't particularly scummy to my mind - in fact, scum very frequently have other abilities allowing them to not kill and take an action, so it would be strange if they neither killed nor acted.

Lidku: could you explain why Bussing two players at random, assuming you have a null read of literally everyone in the game, would be a bad judgement call?

Primarily because of that fact that I wouldn't want to be responsible for some catastrophic negative effect on someone that maybe Town. I just didn't see how effective my abilities would be on N1, so I chose not to do anything. The super protect I'm saving for a situation that absolutely requires it.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 16, 2022, 10:11:49 am »

Primarily because of that fact that I wouldn't want to be responsible for some catastrophic negative effect on someone that maybe Town. I just didn't see how effective my abilities would be on N1, so I chose not to do anything. The super protect I'm saving for a situation that absolutely requires it.
How about this, you use this Super Protect tonight, and I'll Sketch it.

Not, given that there isn't any way to prove I'm lying, or you're lying. Super Protect is fairly easy for Mafia to fake.

To Lenglon, here's a few.
Headhunter
Bastard Paranormal 3
Webadict's Simple BYOR 2
Lords of Mafia

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 16, 2022, 02:35:20 pm »

No offense Lidku, but I don’t really believe you. Does anyone have a inspect? If so, can you use it on Lidku?

Mamobo

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia Moderation Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 16, 2022, 02:45:19 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
FallacyofUrist - 0 - Shakerag*,
Knightwing64 - 0 -
Lenglon - 0 -
Lidku - 0 - TricMagic*,
Maximum Spin - 0 -
NJW2000 - 0 -
Shakerag - 0 -
TricMagic - 0 -
No One - 0 -

Not Voting - 1 - FallacyofUrist, Knightwing64, Lenglon, Lidku, Maximum Spin*, NJW2000,

1 to Hammer. Day ends on July 18, 2022 at 20:00 CDT (~53 hours remaining).

NOTE: Players without votes are displayed in italics.
Mamobo stands for Mafia Moderation Bot! Mamobo was made by webadict to help those in need!

Mamobo hates villainy and lawlessness! Mamobo loves blueberries!

Mamobo is happy to be of use! If you'd like to improve Mamobo, please do something else instead!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 16, 2022, 04:02:51 pm »

Lidku: when you bus two players at random, with 6 town and 2 maf, you have a 2/8 or 1/4 chance of catching the mafiakill in your bus. Additionally, since you don't include yourself in the swap, and since 1 other town is also not included in this calculation because they were the mafiakill's original target, you have a 2/6 or 1/3 chance of the person you redirect the kill into being mafia. This results in a purely random bus having a 1/12 chance of making maf kill their own team. You can improve those odds based on your D1 reads by attempting to guess 1 maf and their nightkill target, and if your bus is not shotted you alternately can make 1 player effectively unable to be intentionally targeted at night indefinitely. Even if your bus is shotted, the to be expected pattern for living playercount is 9->7->5 (lylo A)->3(final day). Meaning there will only be about 3 nights and 4 days in total unless two of the expected kills get prevented somehow. Finally, part of the value of taking action is you prove yourself, since your actions can be verified as *not a nightkill action* to other players (which is part of why Web gives maf non-mafiakill abilities to choose to use). Since it sounds like your bus isn't shotted, I don't see why you would not use it N1, and your explanation of your choice - that you didn't want to be responsible for... something? Doesn't seem reasonable to me.

FoU: I believe you claimed why you were able to target Max last night, but Shake does have a solid point, could you repeat how you could target Max please?

Tric Thank you, i'll review those to see if they have what I'm hoping to get lucky and find.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 16, 2022, 04:06:11 pm »

I'm still sus on FallacyofUrist because there is no good explanation as to how he was able to target Maximum Spin
Okay, I believe I explained this once already but it's possible that you missed it, so I'll explain it again.

My auto ability lets me take actions as though I was mafia-aligned, and it prevents my mafiakill abilities from killing.

Taking actions as though I'm mafia-aligned means I can use my mafiakills, but it also means that you know. I can take actions as if I had the mafia alignment.

A brief timeline of events:

The Crane: "Bwahahahaha! Now, nobody with the Town alignment can target Maximum Spin!"
Maximum Spin: "Wait what? That's not my ability."
Shakerag and NJW2000, the scumteam (secretly): "Gottem."
Lenglon, Lidku, TricMagic, Knightwing64: "Well darn. Guess we can't target Spin, then."
Fallacy: "I'd like to Mug Maximum Spin."
The Crane: "Nope. You're town. Not allowed."
Fallacy: "But... you have to treat me like I'm mafia, because I'm always scum."
The Crane: "What?? That's not how this works."
webadict: "Checks out."
The Crane: "... ugh, fine."
Mug: fails
Fallacy: "Darn."
Maximum Spin: "Fallacy tried to kill me!"
Shakerag and NJW2000 (secretly): "Wait, what?"
Fallacy: "No, I didn't."
Maximum Spin: "Bwuh."

Does this cover things well enough, or do I need to dig into ontological philosophy and start digging into how my auto ability interacts with the game rules?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 64