Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: Demon Mafia - GAME OVER - Law and Chaos win!  (Read 15421 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Mafia - Day 1 - NINE Aligned
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2022, 05:05:09 pm »

I’m town. What do you want me to say, I dunno, I feel like hector and Jim are kinda flying under the radar, hector for very low key posts and Jim for not talking much
This kind of thing is good: it's an opinion about other players. Keep talking.

Toonyman: yeah, I'd also like to know why you keep producing stuff like this:

Webadict is serious you know, he wouldn't be prioritizing another Chaos member without confidence.

As if we're incentivised not to want elims in our own pool? I'm mostly going to ignore chaos/order stuff until someone flips scum, but I don't get why I'd want to avoid my own pool.

Webadict:
Ninja, at the top with you!
… the fact I only placed a weak rvs vote not register, or are you just zeroed in on Knightwing and Jim?
Blah blah blah, whatever, I don't really care. You're never voting out Maximum Spin on Day 1, and you're definitely gonna have a hard time convincing me that Maximum Spin is mafia here, which will make me complain a lot about your vote. If you wanna complain that I'm focused on Jim, then you're not paying attention to what I'm saying. But, I don't care about what you're saying because it doesn't matter to me right now because you're not making a case, since you're effectively Town if Knightwing is scum, and if Knightwing is Town, then you're scum!

See? Easy logic. Not a problem. Moving on.
This didn't make sense the first time I read it, and I'm not going to read it again, but the point I was making was that your post here talks as if the actual votes placed indicate the state of the game, when the RVS votes haven't even been cleaned up yet, and some players have been scumhunting without voting. As Jim said later, he voted me "in spirit" to avoid hammer proximity (ok, that is weird, as I think it would've take me to L-3 or something, but whatever), which counts as some kind of pressure.

You presented true information in a misleading light to suit your agenda; that's what I was picking up on. Care to explain?

Strong townlean on NQT - scum would probably hide a res and keep it in reserve, use it to either get townpoints or save their partner, depending how things went (especially if they could get KW or Tric out and use KW/Tric's playstyle as an excuse to not revive them). Even a town-specific res they'd want the option of never using.

I do also think a scum player would hear how NQT's last post just sounded and delete it before posting:

"let's eliminate our stronger players! Even the one we may not want to flip! I'm not reading that closely!"

Very bravura play if scum  :P
One wheel short of a wagon

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2022, 05:29:07 pm »

My pro strat is playing badly to get town cred  8)

But seriously, from my POV, flipping and resing stronger players is more useful for getting good confirmed town in the mid-late game.

I could be playing more psychological rather than mechanical, but honestly, I like to keep things exciting for myself and making claims and seeing the ripples is more fun than reading tone or whatever.

Jim is also (in spirit he says) voting for a player of an opposing “alignment”, so what makes ToonyMan’s vote more egregious than Jim’s?
Toonyman is voting explicitly for someone of the other team... Jim isn't voting.

As for Knightwing, I went and read back on his play in Jade Court where he was scum, and he was activelurking and disengaged from reading the game there, if that gives any hints to his scum style. Let's get some more interactions before we hit the big red button.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2022, 05:31:29 pm »

Wasn’t that like my first game?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2022, 05:37:08 pm »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2022, 05:45:07 pm »

We’ve been trying to get his reads but he/she/they/it won’t do it for some reason.

You’re going to get confirmed town strong players by eliminating the mafia players of their alignment. If you can build a compelling enough case against webadict then I’ll go with it, but because you’ve built a strong case and not because he’s a high value target for your ability :p

I appreciate keeping the game interesting for yourself buuuut your strategy relies on killing players with no guarantee you’ll be able to bring them back, which ruins the fun for them :o and that kind of selfish play is bad.

I also dislike the idea because it relies on the night phase, which is rubbish.

I still have reservations about you but we’ll see how you do over the remainder of the day.

Wasn’t that like my first game?

PPE: I think Jade Court was your second because I replaced in and totally won the game for town mostly by going along with what the player I replaced was doing and ToonyMan was more or less abandoned by his teammates, and only let it get away around the time I replaced in.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2022, 05:45:50 pm »

EBWOP

The first part of that post is in response to this:

But seriously, from my POV, flipping and resing stronger players is more useful for getting good confirmed town in the mid-late game.

I could be playing more psychological rather than mechanical, but honestly, I like to keep things exciting for myself and making claims and seeing the ripples is more fun than reading tone or whatever.

Jim is also (in spirit he says) voting for a player of an opposing “alignment”, so what makes ToonyMan’s vote more egregious than Jim’s?
Toonyman is voting explicitly for someone of the other team... Jim isn't voting.

As for Knightwing, I went and read back on his play in Jade Court where he was scum, and he was activelurking and disengaged from reading the game there, if that gives any hints to his scum style. Let's get some more interactions before we hit the big red button.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2022, 06:09:32 pm »

Haven't finished the thread, but it seems to me you should want to find scum in the other group first, since you have fewer candidates in your own group.
Finding scum is still finding scum either way, but it makes sense to me to focus on trying to narrow down 4 before 3, at least if you're a "get the hard part out of the way" kind of person.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2022, 06:11:39 pm »

I'm okay with voting Knightwing today. I guess if anything that's better than voting NQT since KW is not my alignment.
Do you have a hidden objective or something? Killing in our own pool is preferable if you know your alignment.
Not yet. I assume Roden will be giving Law and Chaos players actual incentives come Night phase.

Toonyman: yeah, I'd also like to know why you keep producing stuff like this:
Webadict is serious you know, he wouldn't be prioritizing another Chaos member without confidence.
As if we're incentivised not to want elims in our own pool? I'm mostly going to ignore chaos/order stuff until someone flips scum, but I don't get why I'd want to avoid my own pool.
I don't mind avoiding my own pool...in fact I'm currently voting NQT. I am giving Knightwing breathing room by doing this, but whatever? I don't care if he dies, but maybe someone else does?

Strong townlean on NQT - scum would probably hide a res and keep it in reserve, use it to either get townpoints or save their partner, depending how things went (especially if they could get KW or Tric out and use KW/Tric's playstyle as an excuse to not revive them). Even a town-specific res they'd want the option of never using.
I do also think a scum player would hear how NQT's last post just sounded and delete it before posting:
"let's eliminate our stronger players! Even the one we may not want to flip! I'm not reading that closely!"
Very bravura play if scum  :P
Interesting take.

Am I?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2022, 06:16:54 pm »

Haven't finished the thread, but it seems to me you should want to find scum in the other group first, since you have fewer candidates in your own group.
Finding scum is still finding scum either way, but it makes sense to me to focus on trying to narrow down 4 before 3, at least if you're a "get the hard part out of the way" kind of person.
Assuming you're town:

My take:
If Knightwing is mafia (which I suspect), then Web/NJW/Hector should be cleared.
If Knightwing is town, then I would order it Hector>Web>NJW with Hector being the most town and NJW the least.

If NQT is mafia (which I suspect), then Tric and Jim should be cleared.
If NQT is town, then I would vote Jim over Tric.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2022, 06:24:55 pm »

^This guy gets it. I agree with all of these.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2022, 06:29:28 pm »

mostly by going along with what the player I replaced was doing
Heh.

This one actually reminds me of Jade Court more than a little. Maybe that's something to reflect on more thoroughly.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2022, 06:38:07 pm »

mostly by going along with what the player I replaced was doing
Heh.

This one actually reminds me of Jade Court more than a little. Maybe that's something to reflect on more thoroughly.

I wonder what you could possibly be trying to tell me :p we’ll never know.

I s’pose I can ask you why you’re not revealing your alignment in the thread when you said it was an auto ability hiding it mechanically. Will something terrible befall you or us if you do reveal it?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2022, 06:44:48 pm »

Oh, I didn't mean for you specifically to reflect on. You can, though, I won't stop you. You may reach the same place I did.
I s’pose I can ask you why you’re not revealing your alignment in the thread when you said it was an auto ability hiding it mechanically. Will something terrible befall you or us if you do reveal it?
Well, I see it as an advantage over not just the mafia but everyone. For example, there are powers that only affect players of known alignment: TricMagic didn't say it outright, but I believe the power that he claimed kills Chaos demons specifically. Presumably there is at least one Chaos player with the opposite power. As it stands, at a minimum it is a little harder for someone to kill me, and who knows what other powers might interact with the alignments? My role itself doesn't say that anything terrible would befall anyone if I reveal it, but I have to assume it was worth concealing, at least until someone convinces me otherwise.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2022, 06:59:22 pm »

Completely ignore the fact Mafia can just steal the demons of the ressed players, sure. Pull the other one NQT.

Granted, may have played in too many webadict games recently to see the revival is a good thing. What's stopping them from coming back third-party here?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2022, 07:06:21 pm »

Oh, I didn't mean for you specifically to reflect on. You can, though, I won't stop you. You may reach the same place I did.
Well, I see it as an advantage over not just the mafia but everyone. For example, there are powers that only affect players of known alignment: TricMagic didn't say it outright, but I believe the power that he claimed kills Chaos demons specifically. Presumably there is at least one Chaos player with the opposite power. As it stands, at a minimum it is a little harder for someone to kill me, and who knows what other powers might interact with the alignments? My role itself doesn't say that anything terrible would befall anyone if I reveal it, but I have to assume it was worth concealing, at least until someone convinces me otherwise.

I'll note this is not the case Max... If an enemy demon is weak to Light, I kill them. Loup-garou is the first example I hit that's a Neutral alignment. What matters is the demons' weaknesses, not the player's alignment.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21