Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are Demon Defenders Unbeatable?  (Read 2461 times)

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Are Demon Defenders Unbeatable?
« on: August 28, 2022, 03:45:45 am »

Hi there!

I'm trying to conquer a goblin civ that was spawned by digging too deep during world-gen. However, each of their goblin pits and fortresses has at least 2 demons defending it. Every time I try to raid, pillage, raze, or destroy one of their sites, my dorfs hatch a cunning plan and ambush the enemy, kill a couple goblins and then get defeated and killed by a demon.

Can I successfully conquer/pillage/raze their sites with a sufficiently trained army? If so, how do I know when my dorfs are ready to take them on? Or are demons basically unbeatable in off-screen combat?

On a side note, this civ also sends demons along with the goblins when they siege my fortress, and killing them ain't easy.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Are Demon Defenders Unbeatable?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 07:58:07 am »

I've only tried once, and succeeded. I just asked them to surrender, and they did, and then they beheaded the demon.

HansBr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 08:46:22 am »

I have not defeated a demon with legendary dwarfs yet. But I have a demon in my fort. Will try if she can defeat other demons once she is trained up and equipped.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 09:14:27 am »

If you have war animals that are pretty massive, they can help out in those off-screen battles. I've lost many-a-dwarf to waterbuffalo, let alone demons. They're not indestructable, just like in world-gen, you'll occasionally see them killed by an unnamed dwarf or - hilariously - sometimes by a dog or something. It's all down to dice rolls, which means you can get lucky or unlucky. Though, the odds are in the demon's favor, as they're likely facing your dwarves one-on-one.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 11:30:54 am »

If you have war animals that are pretty massive, they can help out in those off-screen battles.
Huh, I didn't know that. Guess those war rhinoceroses were worth the effort.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 04:13:38 pm »

Hmmm… my desert embark doesn’t have much on the way of big beasties. I’ve been toying with the idea of making an adventurer training facility and going into Adventure Mode to assassinate the demons if they can’t be beat in Fortress Mode, but that could also be used to bring big animals to train from far away lands.

What would you do? Train 50 dwarves to legendary and hope to get lucky, just keep trying with squads that only have 1-2 years of training until eventually one of them gets very very lucky, go adventuring for beasts and mercs, make an assassin adventurer, or something else?

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 04:19:06 pm »

Adventure mode is probably going to be most reliable, unless they're a webslinger made of diamond or something unbeatable like that.

Stockpiling a variety of top-tier weapons and armor for adventurers to use would be a good idea... remember that different weapon types are useful for killing different things. If they're made of metal, a whip might be the best bet.
One wheel short of a wagon

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 04:22:11 pm »

Adventure mode is probably the safest bet, yeah. But asking them to surrender might work too.

If you want your squads to kill them, youre definitely going to want squads of nothing but legendary+ warriors equipped with full steel gear. But youre going to lose a lot of them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 06:21:47 pm »

…youre definitely going to want squads of nothing but legendary+ warriors equipped with full steel gear. But youre going to lose a lot of them.

Yeah… about that. My embark has no metal so I can only get about a dozen or so bars of steel per year via trade caravans  :-[

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 04:59:22 pm »

Ok, so I'm going the demon assassin Adventurer route! Here's the training facilty I'm working on (left half of the fortress):

Rooms from upper-leftt, in clockwise direction:
  • Armory
  • Tavern ("The Apple of Iron")
  • Dormatory
  • Store room for provisions
  • Target practice
  • Danger room
  • (center) Battle arena

You'll notice lots of pedestals. That's so I can reserve specific items for the future adventurers (without being claimed by my military dwarves).

Is there anything else you would add?

Main level
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Battle arena
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2022, 08:16:11 am »

The main reason I'd not go the adventurer route is the chaos involved with reclaiming a fort.  But that depends on several factors.  It does seem to be the most certain path to victory in any case.  Unless of course you can get some giant war polar bears from the elves.

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2022, 10:32:22 am »

If you have war animals that are pretty massive, they can help out in those off-screen battles.
Huh, I didn't know that. Guess those war rhinoceroses were worth the effort.

How are you doing with the Grazing?

Still want to do a Giant Rhinoceros farm one day they have the mass of a dragon/whale and are way faster than Giant Elephants.
Probably have to mod the grazing raws to get it to work at all. Will wait for the steam version and embark in savage tropical shrubland lets see what I find.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2022, 10:41:07 am »

I had an excessive amount if giant war elephants in 1 fort, and keeping them from starving wasn't that hard.  When chained up, the dwarves feed them, so they didn't need any pasture space.  But bears, tigers, and other non-grazers are even simpler

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2022, 03:21:05 pm »

I have not defeated a demon with legendary dwarfs yet. But I have a demon in my fort. Will try if she can defeat other demons once she is trained up and equipped.

It was quite a long time ago but I killed a demon with a normal 10 legendary steel armour/weapon equipped dwarves. I think it killed like 2 and then got slain. Was it a fluke?