Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam: Object Testing Arena? How am I supposed to test my mod?  (Read 1241 times)

Loomy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steam: Object Testing Arena? How am I supposed to test my mod?
« on: December 10, 2022, 01:05:33 pm »

I'm trying to make a DF mod, what is a good way to test that the mod works? Is there a developer/debug mode or something?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Steam: Object Testing Arena? How am I supposed to test my mod?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 01:41:52 pm »

Not right now, the arena and adventure mode didn't make the cut because of time constraints, so we get to wait until they're finished. I'm having the same trouble.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 03:02:39 pm »

It makes me wonder how Toady did most of his own testing during development.

In any case, the best you can do right now is to make adjustments to the mod and reload saves in fort mode.  You need to make changes to the installed_mods/[your mod] folder for that to apply to save files I believe.  At least some things work fine that way, and I've been able to fix up problems with creature tokens that way by inspecting the error log.  I've read that graphical changes work this way too.

I'm sure some stuff can't be tested easily like that though.  Historically changes to entities wouldn't apply on reloaded saves, for example, though so much has changed it's anyone's guess on how it works.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 05:52:56 pm »

Arena is coming next after the Classic update (which is coming either right after or along with the next bugfix update) according to the roadmap he posted right after the game was released.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 08:39:29 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 08:38:35 pm »

Arena was really not an option for a looong time. Toady spoiled us :D.

What I usually do, is create a testing civ with all my new creatures and weapons, that allows me to see how they behave in fortress mode.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository