Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread - End  (Read 9520 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread
« Reply #225 on: May 02, 2023, 09:52:49 pm »

I had half my turn typed out and got distracted; that's my fault!  Still interested, and going to finish it now.

Feel free to PM me if I'm behind.
Nirur hasn't been on since April 23rd or so, so its probably fine for you to post now, though if they don't come back for some odd reason it'll be a bit sad.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 02, 2023, 09:59:48 pm »

I'm lazy, not dead, and this isn't either.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2023, 10:08:31 pm »

'_' of course the moment I bring up them not being on they show up...
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 03, 2023, 06:00:05 am »

A quick note on your turn Toaster on what I noticed, you need 1.2 moral for luxuries, which means the 1.1 clothing and 1 spirituality you are getting is only enough for +1 moral. You also have that 1 food left over. I think it's very up in the air if food as luxuries are worth it but you could consume 1.2 clothing, 1 spirituality and 1 food for +2 moral. In your case, because of the moral negative event, that's probably more "worth it" then normal since not only will that extra moral give you 2% more pop growth (instead of the normal 1% per moral) but also saves you from loosing a labor to negative moral. If you think that's not worth it, you only need to consume .2 clothing to get to the +1 moral when combined with spirituality.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 03, 2023, 08:08:20 am »

Good catch; I spent the extra luxury, because I'd really like to keep a little food buffer.  More will come later but I feel the difference between 0 and 1 extra food could save my butt later.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 03, 2023, 11:55:42 am »

Storing food? What sort of strange sorcery is this!?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 03, 2023, 02:25:33 pm »

'_' of course the moment I bring up them not being on they show up...
I check the forums regularly, I just don't usually log in.

Good catch; I spent the extra luxury, because I'd really like to keep a little food buffer.  More will come later but I feel the difference between 0 and 1 extra food could save my butt later.
That's not enough. Your 1 spirituality is only enough for 10,000 people.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2023, 08:29:49 pm »

Well poop.  Guess I don't get it then... will need to research Ceremonial Burial sooner.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 04, 2023, 11:27:50 am »

Guess I don't get it then... will need to research Ceremonial Burial sooner.

Maybe I can try to explain, if you don't get it. Sorry in advanced if this isn't what you meant by you not getting it. Or if it's a bad explanation :P

I think the easiest way to think of it is as each 1000 population as a individual person, who you give a individual luxury too. Once every individual has a luxury, then you get +1 moral, when every individual has 2 luxuries, you get +2 moral.

So think of it like this, you have 12 people (11000 pop and a bonus from the labor who counts as an extra 1000 pop just for this turn.)

Guy 1
Guy 2
Guy 3
Guy 4
Guy 5
Guy 6
Guy 7
Guy 8
Guy 9
Guy 10
Guy 11
Guy 12

First, you're producing 1 spirituality, each person wants .1 spirituality, so you can give it to 10 people.

Guy 1: Spirituality
Guy 2: Spirituality
Guy 3: Spirituality
Guy 4: Spirituality
Guy 5: Spirituality
Guy 6: Spirituality
Guy 7: Spirituality
Guy 8: Spirituality
Guy 9: Spirituality
Guy 10: Spirituality
Guy 11:
Guy 12:

As you can see, you're missing 2 people, so this doesn't give any extra moral. However, you can fill in those gaps. The easiest way to do it would be clothing, each person wants .1 clothing, so you use .2 clothing to do something like this

Guy 1: Spirituality
Guy 2: Spirituality
Guy 3: Spirituality
Guy 4: Spirituality
Guy 5: Spirituality
Guy 6: Spirituality
Guy 7: Spirituality
Guy 8: Spirituality
Guy 9: Spirituality
Guy 10: Spirituality
Guy 11: Clothing
Guy 12: Clothing

Now each person has 1 luxury, so you get +1 moral. If you want to go further, you can give out more clothing, spending an extra 1 clothing to go to this state

Guy 1: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 2: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 3: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 4: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 5: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 6: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 7: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 8: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 9: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 10: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 11: Clothing
Guy 12: Clothing

This is the current state of your turn. But since you can't give 2 of the same luxury to each population, at this point you can't satisfy the needs of guy 11 or 12 by giving out more clothing. So in this state you're still only getting +1 moral, it's just as good as the previous state where you only spent .2 clothing. That's somewhat a waste of clothing, if you didn't want to waste that 1 clothing you can either go back to the previous state, using only .2 clothing. Or you can use an extra food, since .5 food can also be used as a luxury, then you would end up like this

Guy 1: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 2: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 3: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 4: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 5: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 6: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 7: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 8: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 9: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 10: Spirituality. Clothing
Guy 11: Clothing. Food
Guy 12: Clothing. Food

And get +2 moral.

Hopefully that explanation helped? That's how I think of it at least.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 09, 2023, 02:15:51 pm »

I'm lazy, not dead, and this isn't either.

So, to check in, is this still true? It's been like 3 weeks since the last turn. Which is a heck of a long time, even for a slower burning game.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 09, 2023, 04:32:06 pm »

Yeah, turn is 4/6 done.

I took a day to think on a good Exploration Opportunity to proc for Stirk, who already has a fun resource and some neutrals. I have a few more ideas, but I'll outsource the thinking for the future. What resources would people like to see? What Exploration Guild mini-quests or exploration events?

What do players want their magic to do? If I have a good idea of where your magic will be in an age or two, I could spawn something in that line as an exploration reward, like the Transmutating sticks. Something like muscle magic is harder to pin down ideas for.
Where might you want the next age to take your technology? The general idea will be copper age, possibly with simple boats and an early outpost/colony. You've survived the night and are starting to rekindle the spark of learning, and probably looking to find something useful in the remnants of the old world.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 09, 2023, 06:22:34 pm »

I think the vision of the ideal Stonulus future is one where magic effectively puts them in a post-scarcity world, leaving them all time to sit around and be thinkers or artists, some sort of idealized Greek state, perhaps.  Obviously that's not wholly feasible in real terms, but that's probably enough of a starting point to get the idea?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 09, 2023, 06:55:40 pm »

I think the vision of the ideal Stonulus future is one where magic effectively puts them in a post-scarcity world, leaving them all time to sit around and be thinkers or artists, some sort of idealized Greek state, perhaps.  Obviously that's not wholly feasible in real terms, but that's probably enough of a starting point to get the idea?

Not really helpful for the question of “what should your magic do immediately after the Stone Age?” Unless you have really high hopes for your magical advancement.

I have no idea how any of the behind the scenes stuff works, so it is kinda hard to make practical suggestions. Just give me stuff that is both cooler and better than what everyone else has V_V
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 09, 2023, 07:02:03 pm »

ah, so Stirk gets Ice magic confirmed?
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 09, 2023, 07:26:24 pm »

Gruggi want to get bigger and stronger. Gruggi want to make friends.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19