Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19

Author Topic: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread - End  (Read 9441 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread
« Reply #240 on: May 09, 2023, 07:37:17 pm »

I want my magic to be that Stirk gets no magic.

On exploration opportunities, I'm not sure I have any great ideas. Just to state the obvious, small bonuses like a bonus to researching certain tech or some resources (luxury or even just a bit of food or an animal or maybe a bonus labor that we don't have to feed for a turn) make sense for your every day exploration stuff. Resources that we can later learn how to exploit and might be a source of tension between players might be of interest, which can be things like resources needed to upkeep rarer units in later ages, or a better site for a outpost.

Some refuges that can be taken in to increase pop by a few hundred could be a thing (maybe a temporary moral negative for rarer races or something).

Moral choices, perhaps travelers in need of help, either with a risky military intervention vs monsters or raiders needed or needing food or other resources. Help them, maybe increases relationship with npc towns later on, maybe does nothing. Or could steal from them for the opposite of that.

Perhaps a few things scattered around could give us a extra technology in the next age (or this one if appropriate).

For technology, supporting larger populations is the most obvious one, I think. I'm not sure really, how close we are, maybe some military technology if we might start fighting. Metal working, obviously... I'm not sure if the idea for food is to make it continually more efficient as ages go or keep it so that around 50% of the population needs to work in food. If it's made more efficient by the addition of higher tier food gathering or processing technologies I think we might eventually need a labor sink, perhaps related to moral or research. It's hard to make suggestions on this specifically I think because it's hard to get the "vibe" of how the economy is suppose to work, right now it's pretty simple, and I'm not sure if it's suppose to get more complicated and decisiony or just stay how it is. Game might get too hard to run and play with too much complications, but also making choices can be fun too.

The ability to recruit more leaders would make sense eventually.

A more serious answer to what I want from my magic... I guess I've not really thought about that. I guess I view it as sorta like a cross between holy magic and a bit of fire magic? More upgrades for the flower society based on their temple or buildings like the solar condenser would be cool. Other things that come to mind, although maybe not all would make sense at the next tech level, would be stuff like a some heals, banishing evil, maybe some buffs for flower paladins, and maybe fire damage... A more specific thing I'd want to see eventually is resistance to fire and/or cold, might make sense as some "inner radiance" where the warming power of the Sun holds off the cold and makes flowers more resistant to heat as they become partially solar beings?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 07:39:28 pm by Criptfeind »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 09, 2023, 08:05:29 pm »

As long as everyone else’s magic is worse than useless it fits in with my request
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 09, 2023, 10:28:26 pm »

I took a day to think on a good Exploration Opportunity to proc for Stirk, who already has a fun resource and some neutrals. I have a few more ideas, but I'll outsource the thinking for the future. What resources would people like to see? What Exploration Guild mini-quests or exploration events?
Magical gems are amazing. They're both magic and shiny. Everything wants them.

Exotic materials are fun. They can do stuff, but they don't have to; just being able to build structures out of petrified dinosaur bones or feed your people monkeys made out of fruit is cool and flavorful.

Cultivatable plants and animals are an odd one. They're a really neat idea, but giving you another option to stock your ranches with is obviously not the same as finding a map tile you can build an outpost on for a specific resource.

Ancient ruins are good exploration incidents. Oh sure, they might just be a normal city with some fancy golems in them. They could also be alien, unsettling places, all wrong angles and baffling proportions, hideous wall carvings hinting at the ruinous secrets buried within their depths.

Wildlife encounters are good for building out the ecosystem and flavor of the surroundings. Note that as an elf player, by "wildlife" I mean tribes or travelers from distant city-states as well. Maybe a small band of dwarves have set up a tiny mine, some troll exiles just want to practice blood sacrifice in peace, or a gaggle of definitely-not-cultists could really use some help prying a stone seal out of the cave they've set up shop in.

What do players want their magic to do? If I have a good idea of where your magic will be in an age or two, I could spawn something in that line as an exploration reward, like the Transmutating sticks. Something like muscle magic is harder to pin down ideas for.
Mutant wildlife. Chimaeric wildlife. Plant monsters. Better crops and livestock (possibly because it's a mutant chimaera of the wrong kingdom for its body plan). Making elves even better Haha not possible.

Where might you want the next age to take your technology? The general idea will be copper age, possibly with simple boats and an early outpost/colony. You've survived the night and are starting to rekindle the spark of learning, and probably looking to find something useful in the remnants of the old world.
Elves are already the best at everything, so we're not that worried about it.

As long as everyone else’s magic is worse than useless it fits in with my request
Stirk gets no magic. Everyone else gets magic that's a terrible idea to use.

Everyone but Stirk then tries to use magic to get themselves out of the pit they dug by using magic. I'm not saying the cataclysm wasn't an isolated incident, I'm just saying it takes a lot of work to do that much terraforming.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 09, 2023, 10:34:09 pm »

Enhanced buffness doesn't really interact with special materials much, but it could help with building projects.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 10, 2023, 12:40:14 am »

I can see two obvious ways to take my unexplored rune magic, carving it into things, giving me a (reasonably cheap) method of enchanting that may or may not turn such improved equipment into disposable equipment (carving fire runs into a wooden spear eventually causes spontaneous combustion- who’d guess?)- or it could be taken in the direction of Tatooing my people, giving individual military units access to simple magic, but it would have to be done person by person and likely consume (relatively) expensive materials.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 10, 2023, 01:39:26 am »

I'm the only one actually exploring right? Therefore exploration rewards should be stuff Stirk likes. Caches of weapons, bushes that grow handguns, lands where it rains bullets from the sky, bats that excrete gunpowder, 3d printers filled with firearm designs.

Not like anyone else is going to get them anyway.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 10, 2023, 01:44:31 pm »

I will build a military and start exploring with it eventually. I just need to build and research every other single thing I'm capable of first.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 10, 2023, 02:03:11 pm »

I rushed that shit so hard that my explorers don't even have pointy sticks.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 10, 2023, 02:08:34 pm »

This turned out to probably be the play I guess since afaik no ones run into a combat situation in exploration, so people who waited for weapons basically were just leaving loot on the table. But given that we didn't know that at first and the penalty for sending unarmed dudes into combat is a bit unclear on how bad it is I elected to avoid it :P

But now I do have weapons and will be exploring! So there! Only... a bit late. A bit!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 10, 2023, 02:11:52 pm »

You don't even have an explorer's hall. You are to exploring what the four armed guys stabbing water is to research.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 11, 2023, 06:45:50 pm »

Stirk, you can't train units while also sending them out.

Additionally, I hate to change the rules this far into a turn cycle, but I'm going to change a rule on you. Military School currently allows training 2 units a turn, but requires a general and the general's turn for the training.
With Trade and a Marketplace, you can support one military unit per 1334 population.

That has limited use cases, even with the boost to unit replenishment rates I added.

Instead of only training new units, military schools now have 2 training slots. Training slots may be used to train for new traits, if unlocked, and equipment (the entire equipment loadout).
There is one exception. A unit with 0 traits, or a new unit, may train to both have a trait and get a new equipment loadout for 1 training slot.
You may also use a training slot to get a temporary morale boost, or a temporary boost for a particular terrain type (this may evolve into a full trait for the unit if they use it in combat). The roll table will be improved with a military school, staffed or not. The roll table will be improved with a general assigned to training, stackable with the improvement from the military school. There will be diminishing returns from trying to get two morale boosts from training at once on one unit.

As a sudden new rule that changes your turn, I'll allow the Explorer's Guild during this first era to train 1 explorer trait onto a unit per turn, in addition to your standard training. You can't train 2 explorer traits per turn like this.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 06:51:24 pm by Nirur Torir »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 11, 2023, 07:28:47 pm »

Can I train existing units with weapons the same turn I call them back to the city? How about weapons and explorer's hall at the same time?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 11, 2023, 07:46:34 pm »

Can I train existing units with weapons the same turn I call them back to the city? How about weapons and explorer's hall at the same time?
It depends on how far away they are. For now, your units are still close enough to home that they're returning home every turn.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 11, 2023, 08:54:04 pm »

Stirk, you can't train units while also sending them out.

Additionally, I hate to change the rules this far into a turn cycle, but I'm going to change a rule on you. Military School currently allows training 2 units a turn, but requires a general and the general's turn for the training.
With Trade and a Marketplace, you can support one military unit per 1334 population.

That has limited use cases, even with the boost to unit replenishment rates I added.

Instead of only training new units, military schools now have 2 training slots. Training slots may be used to train for new traits, if unlocked, and equipment (the entire equipment loadout).
There is one exception. A unit with 0 traits, or a new unit, may train to both have a trait and get a new equipment loadout for 1 training slot.
You may also use a training slot to get a temporary morale boost, or a temporary boost for a particular terrain type (this may evolve into a full trait for the unit if they use it in combat). The roll table will be improved with a military school, staffed or not. The roll table will be improved with a general assigned to training, stackable with the improvement from the military school. There will be diminishing returns from trying to get two morale boosts from training at once on one unit.

As a sudden new rule that changes your turn, I'll allow the Explorer's Guild during this first era to train 1 explorer trait onto a unit per turn, in addition to your standard training. You can't train 2 explorer traits per turn like this.

Spend 2 more labor toward research and 1 toward…9, I guess. Add the extra food toward the grugg bribe

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 12, 2023, 07:38:34 pm »

yay, a new turn, I'm excite.

Error: More bonus labor than expected. You had two +6 boosts, and only factored in one.

I've not been calculating population left overs to bonus labor at the end of my turn in case there's a situation where it changes during the turn resolution itself. But perhaps that a bad way to record it? Especially since if I understand this correctly, the population spent on military still gives it's fraction toward labor on the turn after you recruited it?

If there was an event that changed population, or population was lost too an attack or something, would that effect the bonus labor from the population that you acquire for that turn?

Also I think I should have 14 labor, 12 from pop, 1 from bonus labor, and 1 from moral?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19