Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What if our Galaxy isn't full of AI because we're in a Neutral Zone between them  (Read 859 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

No one can build Von Neuman probes, because for that you likely have AI... and AI built is neutralized as soon as it reaches a certain point. No competition.

And they compete because, energy is at a premium in a entropic universe.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Did you just read A Fire Upon the Deep?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's the tenth year of the cyberdjihad.
The conflict is about to be won by the humans.
And I'm risking my life harboring backups of a few chatbots.

Spindlers list.
let

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Why would hyperintelligent AIs have a DMZ? They're smart enough to abut smoothly and in an entropic universe why would any space be wasted

Why do you keep posting threads
Shoes...

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

The possibility is there; half because of the unknowns in what they're technologically capable of, and half because the most likely AI is a buggy AI. A poor resolution process and mutually conflicting strange schemes to sidestep entropy has that potential to end up in a effective standoff.
Reading a thinner book

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do you hate AI so much anyway, did one kick your dog or something?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile

Novel is actually a scout sent by a hidden superintelligent manipulator AI to gauge how humans would react and try to deal with AI when it finally makes its move.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

... it's far more likely that our galaxy isn't full of Al because one large omnipresent and omnipotent Al is preventing it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Even if there were DMZs in the galaxy that separated alien species, it seems unlikely that we'd conveniently be located within one.

Besides, what would a DMZ even mean in this case?  Are the aliens forbidden from colonizing systems in the zone, or forbidden to even travel in them?  What reasons do they have to follow those rules?  Space is big, etc, etc, so it's probably hard to even know someone is exploring a solar system you don't want them to be in unless you're also there.  And if they were here and enforcing that, we'd probably know about it.

A more likely explanation to me is that alien probes with sophisticated AI probably just don't exist.  We could change the topic to exploring the Fermi paradox, but in short, I'm starting to come around to being in the crowd who believe that there may well just not be any species in the galaxy who are able to make interstellar journeys.  We may even be the most advanced species in the galaxy right now, and maybe even the first to get this far.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alternatively what if we are natural preserve, a zoo exhibit, or an ant farm of sorts. Please do not feed the Humans.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Even if there were DMZs in the galaxy that separated alien species, it seems unlikely that we'd conveniently be located within one.
This is actually a fallacious argument.

It seems highly unlikely that there would be a monkey in your house. However, if you see a monkey in your house, it doesn't follow from that that, since it seems unlikely that there would be a monkey in your house, it is more likely to be a complicated optical illusion. Given that you see a monkey in your house, and you're not on drugs, a monkey probably escaped from a zoo and really is in your house.

In other words, the likelihood of being "conveniently located" in a DMZ is totally irrelevant: we don't see any alien empires. Given that we don't see any alien empires, if you believe there should be alien empires, there has to be some explanation, however unlikely it might seem in isolation, why we don't see them.

I happen to agree that I think it's most likely that there just aren't any alien empires, but plenty of people believe (on extremely dubious reasoning) that there should be, and we have to treat the probability of explanations from the basis of the facts on the ground, not what we think the facts would be a priori.

To put it another way: If we knew for a fact that there were such DMZs, and we didn't see any aliens, the a priori likelihood that we would conveniently be located within one of those DMZs doesn't change - they take up the same amount of space regardless of whether they are hypothetical or proven and we have the same chance of randomly choosing that space if we threw a dart at the universe - but we would absolutely be justified concluding we were in one, because the posterior probability, as mathematicians call it, given that we see no aliens, is higher.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile

My take on the Fermi Paradox is twofold:
1. We might be the most advanced species in our neighborhood.
2 (and this is stronger). Civilizations aren't actually that easy to detect unless they are high up the Kardashev scale.

I don't think we have enough data yet to make a proper educated assumption about this. It's all wild guessing.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What if the reason we never see them is because they came here along time ago, realize we were boring and never came back.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What if these pan dimensional beings are hiding in plain sight e.g. as mice, and the 3 headed mouse king is their agent.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

... it's far more likely that our galaxy isn't full of Al because one large omnipresent and omnipotent Al is preventing it.

The most likely AI is a buggy AI. We have to luck into a area of space where the first person to build one did it well enough to cancel out all competition, vs just being in a area of space where someone's shitty AI runs into someone elses.

Telgin, AI not aliens. What with Ryan Graves and Christopher Mellon and military footage, I'm a little leery of ruling out aliens, but AI are a question and not the same one.

AI could easily reach monitoring agreements which we'd never observe in our DMZ.
Reading a thinner book

Pages: [1] 2