Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41

Author Topic: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread  (Read 31528 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread
« Reply #330 on: January 25, 2024, 03:43:49 am »

Yes, looks like something like that. I won't be surprised if it will be also mined to the extreme later.  One of their main military objectives is to prevent future attacks like the October 7th and they are doing it with cold efficiency.

In the framework of the Geneva Conventions, It is within the rights of the occupying force to destroy private property when there is a clear military goal present (in this case - to make enemy attacks in a certain area harder) but it is a sad indication that Israel doesn't expect lasting peace anytime soon and may opt for leaving Gaza to its own devices again... this time with destroyed infrastructure and in anarchy. It is far worse than any kind of Israeli occupation.

But well... It will be a ceasefire like some people demand.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #331 on: January 25, 2024, 06:20:49 am »

"You haven't seen me thank Qatar, have you noticed? I haven't thanked Qatar. Why? Because Qatar, to me, is no different in essence from the U.N., from the Red Cross and in a way it's even more problematic. However, I'm willing to use any mediator now who can help me bring them (the hostages) home."
Fresh Bibi

"You are worse than the U.N., you are worse than the red cross, may Allah even forgive me for uttering this heresy - you are Qatar"

Ynet also reported that Netanyahu’s efforts to respond to the hostages and relatives were met with tense and angry remarks.
A female abductee freed with her children – but without her husband, who remains in captivity – is heard on one recording saying: “The feeling we had there was that no one was doing anything for us. The fact is that I was in a hiding place that was shelled and we had to be smuggled out and we were wounded. That’s besides the helicopter that shot at us on the way to Gaza.”
If you kill your own hostages and insult your mediators, you don't have to negotiate. 300 IQ art of war
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 06:40:23 am by Loud Whispers »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 25, 2024, 07:07:37 am »

Hostages only work when your enemy cares if they live.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 25, 2024, 07:27:26 am »

In Ukraine we have the very same thing with some relatives of Ukrainian POWs (and civilian hostages) saying "Why the government is doing nothing to return them home?". And some of the returning POWs who endured torture aren't that grateful either.

I guess Ukraine, Ukrainians, and the Ukrainian government don't care about our POWs just because we are not ready to meet any Russian demand for their release. Well, more similarities with Israel for us.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 25, 2024, 04:20:02 pm »

https://www.timesofisrael.com/cia-mossad-chiefs-to-hold-critical-hostage-talks-with-qatari-egyptian-mediators/

Channel 12 reported that Hamas’s conditions include a 10-14 day pause before it begins releasing hostages; 100 security prisoners released for every “humanitarian” hostage in the first stage of the release; hundreds of security prisoners released for every hostage in subsequent phases; and a withdrawal of all Israeli forces from the Strip as part of the deal.

Well, Israel did accept ridiculously idiotic deals in the past (like exchanging 1 (one) soldier for 1000+ enemies, including the current leader of Hamas who they cured of brain cancer.... ) but I hope that they learned from their mistakes and this one won't be accepted. It is called encouraging terrorism.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 25, 2024, 09:30:20 pm »

The UN express concern about world trade.
Because of the Houthi attacks, the nuber of ships passing through the Suez canal has dropped by 42%.
Broken down, the number of huge container ships passing through has dropped by 67%, the number of tanker ships dropped by 18%, the number of bulk (grain, coal) freighters has dropped by 8% and the transport of gas has dropped by 100%.

The UN worries that this will further disrupt world trade that is already suffering from geopolitics and climate change.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 25, 2024, 11:54:52 pm »

Neither Keir Starner nor Rishi Sunak able to say killing a civilian walking under a white flag is a war crime

Ah, Keir, how long it takes to build a reputation for standing up for human rights, and how quickly someone can lose it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 26, 2024, 02:13:57 am »

Israel asks embassies if they are equipped for ‘security escalation’

One more indication that Israel is considering a large war, possibly with a land invasion in Hezbollah-occupied Lebanon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #339 on: January 26, 2024, 04:47:45 am »

Neither Keir Starner nor Rishi Sunak able to say killing a civilian walking under a white flag is a war crime
Ah, Keir, how long it takes to build a reputation for standing up for human rights, and how quickly someone can lose it.
From a purely political standpoint it's also a bit of a gaffa in making the labour position identical to the tory position, of being surprisingly pro war crimes. Like the time where he said he was pro no water for Gazans and then spent the next 10 days managing the fallout as labour party members resigned and labour spokesmen insisted he did not mean he was pro collective punishment. Mega gift to the liberal democrats and the SNP who both adopted pro-ceasefire stance, especially since the only British-Palestinian MP is libdem. Sad though, she's British-Palestinian from the Palestininan Christians, and her family were the ones who were held under siege in one of the Churches where already one of her family members have died. Just not a good look for the reds and blues. Ppl still asked if she condemned Hamas, Russia and Saudi Arabia  ???

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 26, 2024, 08:52:41 am »

ICJ ruled that Israel must take steps to prevent genocide (duh!) but made no demands to stop the war as Hamas and their ally South Africa wanted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #341 on: January 26, 2024, 09:20:13 am »

JOHANNESBURG, Jan 26 (Reuters) - South Africa hailed what it called a "decisive victory" for international rule of law on Friday, after the International Court of Justice ruled in favour of its request to impose emergency measures against Israel over its military operations in Gaza.
The court ordered Israel to prevent acts of genocide against the Palestinians and do more to help civilians, as it wages war against Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip.
It has not yet ruled on the core of the case brought by South Africa - whether genocide has occurred in Gaza.
Israel has called South Africa's allegations false and "grossly distorted", and said it makes the utmost efforts to avoid civilian casualties.
"Today marks a decisive victory for the international rule of law and a significant milestone in the search for justice for the Palestinian people," South Africa's department of international relations and cooperation said in a statement.
"South Africa sincerely hopes that Israel will not act to frustrate the application of this Order, as it has publicly threatened to do, but that it will instead act to comply with it fully, as it is bound to do."
It said South Africa would continue to act within the institutions of global governance to protect the rights of Palestinians in Gaza.

THE HAGUE, Jan 26 (Reuters) - The World Court on Friday ordered Israel to take action to prevent acts of genocide as it wages war against Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip, but it stopped short of calling for an immediate ceasefire.
Ruling on a case brought by South Africa, the court said Israel must ensure its forces did not commit genocide and take measures to improve the humanitarian situation for Palestinian civilians in the enclave.
In the ruling, 15 of the 17 judges on the International Court of Justice (ICJ) panel voted for emergency measures which covered most of what South Africa asked for, with the notable exception of ordering a halt to Israeli military action in Gaza.
Israel's military operation has laid waste to much of the densely populated enclave and killed more than 25,000 Palestinians in nearly four months, according to Gaza health authorities.
Israel unleashed its assault after a cross-border rampage on Oct. 7 by Hamas militants. Israeli officials said 1,200 people were killed, mostly civilians, and 240 taken hostage.
The court said it was "gravely concerned" about the fate of the hostages in Gaza and called on Hamas and other armed groups to immediately release them without conditions.
But the ruling, welcomed by Palestinians, will still be an embarrassment for Israel and its closest allies, including the United States.
Israel had asked the court to reject the case outright, saying it respects international law and has a right to defend itself.
"The state of Israel shall...take all measures within its power to prevent the commission of all acts within the scope of Article II of the Genocide convention," the court said.
Israel must report back to it on what steps it was taking in a month's time, it said.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the charge of genocide leveled against Israel was "outrageous" and said it would do whatever is necessary to defend itself.

For provisional measures to be enacted, it is not necessary to prove conduct amounting to genocide but that at least some of the alleged acts are capable of falling within the convention.

In court, the South African lawyer Adila Hassim alleged that genocidal acts committed by Israel included the mass killing of Palestinians, causing serious mental and bodily harm to Palestinians, deliberately inflicting conditions of life calculated to bring about the physical destruction of Gaza in whole or in part, and Israel’s military assault on Gaza’s healthcare system.

She told the court: “Nothing will stop this suffering, except an order from this court. Without an indication of provisional measures, the atrocities will continue; with the Israel Defense Forces indicating that they intend pursuing this course of action for at least a year.”

As well as an immediate ceasefire, South Africa also asked the court to order measures prohibiting the deprivation of access to adequate food and water, humanitarian assistance and medical supplies and assistance.

Well it's a start if Palestinians can have access to food and water again. It'd be pointless if after four years the ICJ finally reached a genocide verdict but failed to actually protect anyone being genocided, especially after the U.N.'s warning that Israel had totally buggered their infrastructure

Cindy McCain, the executive director of the UN World Food Programme, said: “Supplies of food and water are practically nonexistent in Gaza, and only a fraction of what is needed is arriving through the borders. Civilians are facing the immediate possibility of starvation.”

The World Health Organization said it was “extremely concerned about the spread of disease when the winter season arrives” with diarrhoea and respiratory infections rising faster than expected in crowded shelters.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 26, 2024, 10:43:09 am »

I'm still fuzzy on this - can civilians really, physically, not leave the area?  Not "oh it's difficult to leave, but possible" but really "no sorry literally if you try to leave we'll kill you anyway, and if you stay in there you're probably going to die anyway"?

I understand it's millions of people.  But did that population grow its own food to begin with, or was it all imported? (Wasn't it a massively urban area?)  So if the population moved, shouldn't they still be able to get the supplies they were getting, just imported into that new location instead of the now-razed cities?

I'm not talking about the politics of this, I'm just talking about the pure physical logistics.   Like, could it be done if there was the will to do it.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 26, 2024, 11:05:46 am »

I'm still fuzzy on this - can civilians really, physically, not leave the area?  Not "oh it's difficult to leave, but possible" but really "no sorry literally if you try to leave we'll kill you anyway, and if you stay in there you're probably going to die anyway"?

I understand it's millions of people.  But did that population grow its own food to begin with, or was it all imported? (Wasn't it a massively urban area?)  So if the population moved, shouldn't they still be able to get the supplies they were getting, just imported into that new location instead of the now-razed cities?

I'm not talking about the politics of this, I'm just talking about the pure physical logistics.   Like, could it be done if there was the will to do it.

The Gaza Strip is somewhere upwards of 50% urban terrain I think, a few cities of various sizes along a major road with some stretches of empty-ish land in between, there's not much space for farms, so it's entirely dependant on food from outside sources. It's a bit like if New York City tried to feed itself with an area of farmland smaller than New York City itself, it's just not workable. They have a coastline, so they might get some fish to supplement what farms and livestock they have, but I don't know what if any fishing rights they have or how territorial waters work around there. I think the bulk of their supplies come in through a few Israeli checkpoints.

In theory the populace could flee to Egypt or Israel proper, both are accessible albeit unwilling, but in the Gaza Strip itself there's not really anywhere to go.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #344 on: January 26, 2024, 11:10:09 am »

The Gaza Strip is somewhere upwards of 50% urban terrain I think, a few cities of various sizes along a major road with some stretches of empty-ish land in between, there's not much space for farms, so it's entirely dependant on food from outside sources. It's a bit like if New York City tried to feed itself with an area of farmland smaller than New York City itself, it's just not workable. They have a coastline, so they might get some fish to supplement what farms and livestock they have, but I don't know what if any fishing rights they have or how territorial waters work around there. I think the bulk of their supplies come in through a few Israeli checkpoints.

In theory the populace could flee to Egypt or Israel proper, both are accessible albeit unwilling, but in the Gaza Strip itself there's not really anywhere to go.
Fishing was a hazardous activity even before operation iron swords, since the Israeli Navy has a long history of shooting them
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41