Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 41

Author Topic: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread  (Read 30490 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread
« Reply #300 on: January 20, 2024, 03:13:39 pm »

It's the kind of nuance that would get you skewered. To people that would decry diversity and say it doesn't work, you could be like "And yet we succeed!"

In other news, Pakistan and Iran are airstriking each other now, both claiming they're shooting at terrorist enclaves. So that's cool. Whether they're actually terrorist enclaves, or just villages where some terrorists stay and get support, or just where someone they didn't like was....or they're just villages, *shrug*
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 20, 2024, 03:25:20 pm »

I'm surprised they haven't advanced the doomsday clock. At least I haven't seen any news about it.

This is starting to smell like a pretty dangerous situation - too many conflicts in too many places, with enough participants involved in more than one of them to make it a possibility to get out of hand quickly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 20, 2024, 03:39:35 pm »

The Pakistan / Iran issue isn't per se related to Gaza. There are separatists in Iran that are have been attacking them internally, who apparently were based in Pakistan. I don't know who Pakistan claims was based out of the Iranian village they blasted. Plausible but it's a bit more chilling to consider it was purely a retaliatory strike. When it comes to nation-states, you have to respond to something like that with force or be perceived as weak internationally and domestically. Still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViaBYRDAAhs

I think this guy's analysis is pretty sound. The real issue is that Iran is starting fires left right and center around it, via their proxies.

They are funding and arming many dissident groups. Considering they have more than one separatist group within Iran attacking them, it kind of goes beyond bold to just rabid to then open up another conflict by risking starting a war with a nuclear power. Gaza and all these other inciting incidents don't cost Iran directly because it's through their proxies. But it will cost them indirectly as all lines lead back to them and if other countries do find themselves ready to act, Iran will find itself over-extended.

Neither Iran nor Pakistan want nuclear war. That's why Pakistan, I fear, just had to pick a random village with enough plausible intelligence to give justification. Blowing up a village is the price of not having a nuclear war, essentially. The hope is that this is where it will end. That just depends on how rabid Iran chooses to be.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 20, 2024, 04:24:17 pm »

I'm surprised they haven't advanced the doomsday clock. At least I haven't seen any news about it.
The 2024 Doomsday Clock announcement

Watch the Clock unveiling live on January 23 at 10 a.m. EST.
Soon
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 20, 2024, 10:09:00 pm »

Iran bombs everyone but... Israel they swear to destroy. Isn't it cute?

This happens when you know that there will be a massive response from Israel but expect nothing substantial from others. Being strong works when dealing with predators, "deescalation" doesn't.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 21, 2024, 12:40:25 am »

As of today none of Gaza's 36 pre-war hospitals are fully functioning.

I don't think any number of "civilian shields" justifies letting thousands of children bleed to death because there isn't staff available to help them, while also starving, undergoing epidemics, and having their homes bombed out with their families in them.

EDIT: Oh, and both Republicans and Democrats in the US House on relevant committees express concern that Netanyahu is stringing out the war for personal political benefit.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 12:52:56 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 21, 2024, 05:21:39 am »

Yes, this is horrible

But what is your solution? Do you propose to not engage with Hamas in hospitals giving them an absolutely safe area to strike from?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 21, 2024, 10:24:09 am »

This happens when you know that there will be a massive response from Israel but expect nothing substantial from others. Being strong works when dealing with predators, "deescalation" doesn't.
You think the nearly 1000km between their borders has nothing to do with it?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 21, 2024, 10:30:28 am »

You think the nearly 1000km between their borders has nothing to do with it?

Iran has ballistic missiles with this range. And drones.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 21, 2024, 12:20:31 pm »

Israel is a US ally. That's the real deterrent.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 21, 2024, 01:18:52 pm »

Yes, this is horrible

But what is your solution? Do you propose to not engage with Hamas in hospitals giving them an absolutely safe area to strike from?

I suppose in retrospect, you could have made Israel state-sponsored hospitals, or set up alternative ones, to provide "secure" medical services before bombing the other buildings.

Even simpler, just have a force sweep through the hospital building to secure it, and only if that force gets attacked would you consider bombing the structure.  I think honest medical professionals would be annoyed by having soldiers running around the facility but they aren't going to shoot back.

There are lots of alternatives there.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 21, 2024, 01:45:06 pm »

Strongpoint believes that the ceasefire was trading Israeli soldiers lives for those of the hostages, he’s not going to think trading Israeli soldiers lives for people he believes are responsible for harboring Hamas are worth that either.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 21, 2024, 02:32:47 pm »

I suppose in retrospect, you could have made Israel state-sponsored hospitals, or set up alternative ones, to provide "secure" medical services before bombing the other buildings.
Do you mean pre-war? It is impossible. You can't put them in Gaza because it requires occupation or else doctors would be killed on the spot. Having backup hospitals on the border with Gaza is unfeasible, you can't have fully staffed hospitals just in case you need to treat Gazans in a war.

Even simpler, just have a force sweep through the hospital building to secure it, and only if that force gets attacked would you consider bombing the structure.
More or less what Israel is doing. They are not bombing hospitals indiscriminately. Here totally not pro-Israeli source (rather outdated but we are getting more of the same)  - https://forensic-architecture.org/investigation/destruction-of-medical-infrastructure-in-gaza - it includes only two direct strikes, most hospitals are taken in ground combat. This approach still damages hospitals and\or makes them inoperable.

What actually should be done? Other countries should accept refugees and provide their infrastructure. The border with Egypt should be open. Ships should be flocking to the Gaza Strip to accept refugees.

Why the world doesn't do that? The official reason is (IMO) hilarious! It will help Israel to ethnically cleanse Gaza!  Imagine if the EU went - we are closing borders with Ukraine because we don't want to help Putin to ethnically cleanse Ukraine! Absurd? Absurd. But it is the position of the world in the case of Gaza.

May Israel use the refugee crisis as a tool for ethnic cleansing and not let Gazan refugees back in after the war under some bogus excuse. It is very possible. But you know... people are dying there! Being exiled is better than being dead. And no one, no one is protesting demanding the world to accept Palestinian refugees. Why? WHY!? It is as if they care about Palestinian lives less than they care about politics.....

What Israel should do with the current health considering that no one is going to accept refugees from a war zone? Probably repair the damaged hospitals, bring Israeli staff, and give civilians safe access to them... Taking some to Israel to be treated in Israeli hospitals is probably also a good idea. But logistics and security implications make it very, very hard.

he’s not going to think trading Israeli soldiers lives for people he believes are responsible for harboring Hamas are worth that either.
Not true. I am all for reasonable effort to limit collateral damage even if it means more dead soldiers in your army. It is basic humanism. Keyword - reasonable. What is demanded from the Israeli Army is usually unreasonable.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 21, 2024, 02:47:12 pm »

Yes, this is horrible

Even simpler, just have a force sweep through the hospital building to secure it, and only if that force gets attacked would you consider bombing the structure.  I think honest medical professionals would be annoyed by having soldiers running around the facility but they aren't going to shoot back.

Yes, the magic "What if war wasn't war" alternatives. Entire world of things Israel could have done in that reality.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 21, 2024, 03:36:01 pm »

Yes, this is horrible

Yes, the magic "What if war wasn't war" alternatives. Entire world of things Israel could have done in that reality.

Well, if you want to go way back in the conflict they could have tried to win the hearts and minds of Gazans instead of putting in place a blockade and treating it like a prison camp. I imagine punishing Israeli settlers pushing out Palestinians (and others) from the West Bank would also have done some good.

You know, treating them like human beings instead of animals? This is just another example in a long line of Israel failing to meet its responsibilities as an occupying power.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 41