Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41

Author Topic: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread  (Read 30940 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread
« Reply #405 on: February 03, 2024, 04:08:48 pm »

The US has bombed 85 targets in Syria and Iraq, targeting the Iranian Revolutionairy guard and groups allied with Iran.
16 people were killed in Iraq, 23 in Syria.

According to US defense minister Lloyd Austin, this is only the beginning of the US reaction. He says that attacks on US troops cannot be tolerated.
The US should really be going after the Drone Factories in Iran. This might be the test run to see if they can get away with it.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 03, 2024, 05:15:56 pm »

September 11th 2001 was quite a day.

And of course it can never be forgotten, the release of Portal Runner for the PS2.

Lest we forget.

That damn Vicky, it was her all along. 

At least now we know who to blame for the ongoing saga of grossly disproportionate responses in the middle east.

(Not to mention the repeated misdirection.  Sucko Iraq you cop it again because Vicky doesn't give a shit for you as a nation or you as people.  And dropping more bombs is going to solve everything, we just didn't drop enough last time.)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 04, 2024, 03:10:17 am »

The US House will next week vote on a standalone $17.6 billion Israel aid package without any Ukraine aid, Speaker Mike Johnson said Saturday.

I have some doubts that Israel needs that to finish the war in Gaza. I also think it is overkill even in the case of a full Israel-Hezbollah war. And this help is in no way shape or form urgent. Well, it is the difference between being an American ally with a huge lobby coming from a double-citizenship rich people and being a random invaded country fighting for its survival.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 04, 2024, 04:55:54 am »

Considering the prevalence of Iranian drones being used against Ukraine, do not be surprised if some of that funding does not get used for a "lateral attack".

Besides, the Democrats are lying scumbags. They'll probably still hook you up.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 04, 2024, 07:38:49 am »

Yeah, I firmly believe that Israel receiving stuff for their proxy war with Iran is a net positive for Ukraine (and humanity). But let me have some envy.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

pr1mezer0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 11, 2024, 04:54:10 am »

AI is starting to use human shields.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 12, 2024, 05:57:14 am »

Israel managed to free the first two hostages since the beginning of the war in a raid. The battle for Rafah is about to begin and it will be bloody but it will be the last major battle in this theater*. Sadly, Hamas won't surrender no matter what.

*It is about time for Hezbollah to stop firing, they won't be the second front soon. They will be the only one.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 13, 2024, 04:59:51 pm »

It's been four months. Anyone up for some cold calculus?

Spoiler: Cold calculus (click to show/hide)
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 14, 2024, 05:13:13 am »

Yes, considering the population density, Israel must be putting effort in minimizing civilian casualties, contrary to what the daily world wide Israel hate media makes believe.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 14, 2024, 05:48:53 am »

Ah, Israel stopping aid from getting in to allow alleviation from things like starvation or thirst or treatable diseases must be a figment or the imagination.

You don’t have to drop bombs on someone to kill them.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 14, 2024, 07:04:23 am »

I'm not sure juggling the numbers to end up with 'less horrid than Russia' is how one should clear the morally justifiable bar.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 14, 2024, 08:08:04 am »

Adjusted civilian death rates:
    Siege of Leningrad (Germany attacking USSR): 0.56 per day    (most deaths due to starvation)
    Battle of Berlin (USSR attacking Germany): 2.1 per day
    Battle of Manila (Allies/USA attacking Japan): 0.18 per day    (most deaths due to the Manila massacre by Japan)

Given the uncertainty of the data for these, I used the nearest population statistic I could find, and used the smallest area given by Wikipedia. It's also difficult to gauge the proper size of the area of conflict. In Leningrad, for instance, the Germans got no closer than 10 km to the city.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 14, 2024, 08:17:04 am »

I'm not sure juggling the numbers to end up with 'less horrid than Russia' is how one should clear the morally justifiable bar.

It isn't. It doesn't make Israel's actions any better.

But it's worth considering in relation to narratives in social media and proportionate responses to those.
Love, scriver~

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 14, 2024, 09:08:42 am »

Feel free to provide any other modern example of a modern army assaulting an urbanized area. The closest I can think about is the second battle of Fellugah ( 25 square km, 300K population, 46 days, 800 civilians killed) but it was defended by a far smaller force, had no tunnel network and majority of civilians had an opportunity to flee before the battle has started
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41