Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 41

Author Topic: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread  (Read 30493 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread
« Reply #420 on: February 14, 2024, 04:28:24 pm »

You should do the calculation for the West Bank as well.

It's funny how everyone forgets the West Bank exists.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 15, 2024, 02:44:17 am »

Russia and China call for an end to attacks on Houthi targets by US and UK forces.

They say the US and UK are seriously disrupting international shipping with their attacks.

Uhhhhh..... Uhmmm.. Russia and CHina are buttfuk insane. It's the Houthi's that are disrupting shipping, not the ones trying to stop them.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 22, 2024, 05:34:40 am »

This account from Dr. Irfan Galaria was very informative.
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2024-02-16/rafah-gaza-hospitals-surgery-israel-bombing-ground-offensive-children
Quote from: Irfan Galaria
On one occasion, a handful of children, all about ages 5 to 8, were carried to the emergency room by their parents. All had single sniper shots to the head.
These war crimes are very disturbing. It's unfortunate to read about.
Max avatar size is 80x80

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 22, 2024, 08:28:58 am »

so the article open citing unquestioning hamas ownh number for casualties, which we already know are inflate like that time one of their own rocket hit a parking lot and there were "thousands deaths at an hospital", then goes on with that story of parent with children executed from unknown sources providing absolutely zero chain of trust, neither from the parent nor from the hospital, and we're just supposed to take all of that at face value, from people that made a point to use every bit of truth they can get their hand on as propaganda?

These war crimes are very disturbing.

they would be indeed.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 22, 2024, 08:56:32 am »

While I am not saying that Israeli army may not have a maniac who would snipe children while sparing their adult parents, I find it... dubious

What I fail to understand is why would anyone bother bringing a dead child with a large hole in the head (if not half of the head missing if it is 12mm caliber) to the hospital. If a sniper shoots you in the head - you die.

Lies should be believable.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 22, 2024, 11:33:33 am »

so the article open citing unquestioning hamas ownh number for casualties,
If you are referring to the LA Times article, there is no mention of the word Hamas once throughout the article.
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2024-02-16/rafah-gaza-hospitals-surgery-israel-bombing-ground-offensive-children

Edit:
While I am not saying that Israeli army may not have a maniac who would snipe children while sparing their adult parents, I find it... dubious

What I fail to understand is why would anyone bother bringing a dead child with a large hole in the head (if not half of the head missing if it is 12mm caliber) to the hospital. If a sniper shoots you in the head - you die.

Lies should be believable.
I disagree, I believe the war crimes are real. Snipers are an unfortunate part of reality.
In December it was reported by the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem that:
Quote from: CNN
An Israeli military sniper shot and killed two women inside the Holy Family Parish in Gaza on Saturday, according to the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/16/middleeast/idf-sniper-gaza-church-deaths-intl-hnk

On the 13th of this month, 3 Palestinians were killed by sniper fire at Nasser Hospital.
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/three-palestinians-killed-by-israeli-sniper-fire-gazas-nasser-medical-complex-2024-02-13/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 11:45:49 am by StrawBarrel »
Max avatar size is 80x80

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 22, 2024, 01:00:07 pm »

Do you believe that a child can receive a sniper bullet in the head and keep breathing long enough to be brought to the hospital? Yes or no?

And this kind of miracle happened not once... The article claims that it happened to a handful of children.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 22, 2024, 01:48:13 pm »

Just for the sake of the argument, not every headshot is fatal. Not even every shot in the cranium is fatal, including losing half your brain (cf. Robert Lawrence's case).
Like, there's probably some data out there on survivability percentages. If you're going to try and shut down an argument like that, you'll need more than a gut feeling.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 22, 2024, 02:17:11 pm »

Sure. But we are talking about huge bullets and small children's heads. Sniped implies a sniper rifle, or, at the very least, a marksman with an assault rifle which is still really deadly.

If it was one child it would be plausible. Children who received random gunshot\shrapnel wounds in the head... maybe. A handful of children who were purposely shot in the head with the intent to kill living long enough to be brought to an emergency room... Sorry, I can't believe that. And I don't need to dig through data (which will mostly include adults and pistol wounds) to have this conclusion.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 22, 2024, 02:21:49 pm »

The point being, it's extraordinary only when viewed through your personal preconceptions. I, for one, don't see it as a particularly contentious claim. So if you want to convince people like me it's bunkum, saying that you don't feel like it's plausible is not particularly convincing.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 22, 2024, 02:27:09 pm »

If it helps, the story is obvious bullshit and you'd have to be an idiot to think it happened.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 22, 2024, 02:29:00 pm »

Thanks for your typically helpful insight, Spin dude.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 22, 2024, 02:37:48 pm »

so the article open citing unquestioning hamas ownh number for casualties,
If you are referring to the LA Times article, there is no mention of the word Hamas once throughout the article.

I'm precisely referring to that "opinion piece" (don't call that an article please) and when following the link to the claim, which point to the "Palestinian Ministry of Health" which well it is precisely the one that tried to pass that 500 people were killed when a missile damaged 6 cars in a parking lot, and was also caught more than a few times counting combatant as civilian (which I mean it's a blurred line since they combatants are not uniformed, but still). did you not click on any of the sources?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 02:43:28 pm by LoSboccacc »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 22, 2024, 02:49:42 pm »

The point being, it's extraordinary only when viewed through your personal preconceptions. I, for one, don't see it as a particularly contentious claim. So if you want to convince people like me it's bunkum, saying that you don't feel like it's plausible is not particularly convincing.

Oooh...

I have read a report that Israeli soldiers were walking around shooting laser rays from their eyes immolating Palestinians on the spot. Please provide me data and\or evidence to prove that it is untrue. You not believing that it is not enough to persuade me.

It is similar. Can you demonstrate how you would disprove this kind of claim with data?

I can google photos of what happens with a human head that was Lapua Magnumed, I can cite basic facts of human anatomy and probability. I could discuss how deadly and accurate military snipers are... I could do many things. But I am under no obligation trying to prove obvious facts to people who choose to believe that those facts are not true.

Children die very quickly after a sniper bullet goes through their head is such an obvious fact.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 22, 2024, 03:01:26 pm »

Do you believe that a child can receive a sniper bullet in the head and keep breathing long enough to be brought to the hospital? Yes or no?

And this kind of miracle happened not once... The article claims that it happened to a handful of children.

Yes I believe it is possible.  But it is beside the point because...

The article does not claim that any of the children were alive when they reached the hospital.  It does clearly state that none of them survived.

The Palestinian Ministry of Health's figures have historically been reliable.  They have only ever, to the best of my knowlege, provided total death figures for the current conflict.  Figures which Israel has repeatedly said are 'generally correct'.  Nor was it even claimed by Israel to be a Hamas missile but rather one they said was fired by Palestinian Islamic Jihad.  The incident continues to be disputed both as to origin of the missile and total casualty figues.  But I guess you know all this, right?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 03:06:46 pm by feelotraveller »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 41