Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: Bay12 v. Black Pants Legion Great War Arms Race (Prelim 5 Design)  (Read 12058 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 v. Black Pants Legion Great War Arms Race (Prelim 3 Revision)
« Reply #240 on: March 18, 2024, 06:01:55 pm »

Quote from: BoatBox
Raillock Weaponry (1): Maxim
Voices From Nowhere (0):
Implantation and Prosthesis (0):
Woven Metal Band (0):
Cloud Ships v2 (4): DoubloonSeven, TricMagic, Quarque, Jerick
The Lantern of Mimatqui (0):
Bote

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 19, 2024, 08:27:40 am »

Voices From Nowhere (0):
Woven Metal Band (0):
Cloud Ships v2 (5): DoubloonSeven, TricMagic, Quarque, Jerick, Doomblade

Bote.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 19, 2024, 01:33:14 pm »

Voices From Nowhere (0):
Woven Metal Band (0):
Cloud Ships v2 (6): DoubloonSeven, TricMagic, Quarque, Jerick, Doomblade, Lightforger
I'm doing my part to make the GM move faster!(Unless he doesn't want to that works as well)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 19, 2024, 01:39:02 pm »

Raillock Weaponry (2): Maxim, Andrea
Voices From Nowhere (0):
Woven Metal Band (0):
Cloud Ships v2 (6): DoubloonSeven, TricMagic, Quarque, Jerick, Doomblade, Lightforger

The entangling is definitely interesting, this boat proposal has more potential for future use than the previous one. I won't be unhappy to see it win.
However, I kind of like the idea of a no gunpowder armory and I feel like it wouldn't be a bad idea to start working on more.... applied technology. (applied to potential enemies, that is). Hence, I shall vote for railguns.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 19, 2024, 02:20:45 pm »

My main argument is we can do rails next pre-game revision. I think, since there is probably 1 more prompt? Cannonbolts.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 19, 2024, 02:36:49 pm »

And same goes for the orichalcum entanglement.

Honestly, not an hill I am going to die on. I prefer railguns, but both are fine and don't preclude the other.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2024, 02:50:54 pm »

I can make the joke of not putting the cannon before the bote, but yeah.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 19, 2024, 05:35:35 pm »

Raillock Weaponry (2): Maxim, Andrea
Voices From Nowhere (0):
Woven Metal Band (0):
Cloud Ships v2 (7): DoubloonSeven, TricMagic, Quarque, Jerick, Doomblade, Lightforger, Powder Miner

a miraculous technology

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 19, 2024, 05:58:22 pm »

Raillock Weaponry (3): Maxim, Andrea, Doomblade
Voices From Nowhere (0):
Woven Metal Band (0):
Cloud Ships v2 (6): DoubloonSeven, TricMagic, Quarque, Jerick, Lightforger, Powder Miner

Andrea made a good point that we could make cloudships very easily (relatively) as a design during a main phase, while whalelocks have the potential to supplant most of a gunpowder armory if done now.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 20, 2024, 04:10:43 am »

Raillock Weaponry (3): Maxim, Andrea, Doomblade
Voices From Nowhere (0):
Implantation and Prosthesis (1): Rockeater
Woven Metal Band (0):
Cloud Ships v2 (6): DoubloonSeven, TricMagic, Quarque, Jerick, Lightforger, Powder Miner
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 20, 2024, 01:31:18 pm »

Raillock Weaponry (4): Maxim, Andrea, Doomblade, Powder Miner
Voices From Nowhere (0):
Woven Metal Band (0):
Cloud Ships v2 (5): DoubloonSeven, TricMagic, Quarque, Jerick, Lightforger

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 20, 2024, 03:04:58 pm »

I like what the boats give us but to be honest I just am not really that interested in the hydrofoil aspect of it, I don't really have any real impressive arguments on why to vote against it.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 20, 2024, 03:12:41 pm »

Raillock Weaponry (5): Maxim, Andrea, Doomblade, Powder Miner
Voices From Nowhere (0):
Woven Metal Band (0):
Cloud Ships v2 (4): TricMagic, Quarque, Jerick, Lightforger

I've been swayed by arguments positing that establishing non-gunpowder weapons now will have a greater knock-on effect down the line than the boat. Though I still think we really ought to do boats, and I also really like Entangled Orichalcum.

Avanti!

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 20, 2024, 06:15:46 pm »

I've been swayed by arguments positing that establishing non-gunpowder weapons now will have a greater knock-on effect down the line than the boat. Though I still think we really ought to do boats, and I also really like Entangled Orichalcum.

I think EO could be used for a different aspect in the field of being used as the basis for engines and motors but I'll keep that in my head until the next turn.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bay12 v. Black Pants Legion Great War Arms Race (Prelim 4 Design)
« Reply #254 on: March 22, 2024, 12:07:32 am »

Preliminary Turn 3 Revision

Proposal: Whalelock Weaponry
Difficulty: Normal
Result: 2+1=3, Buggy Mess

The concept of using a device to fling an object at something has been around in Confederate culture since The Thirsting Wars (other ranged weapons existed of course, but none of historical significance either culturally or militarily), so of course it was only a matter of time before a more modern mind applied modern knowledge to the few Bloodyeeting devices preserved atop the oldest Ziggawatts.

The first Whalelock weapons were created within the Ziggawatts and Wovenman towers during The Chichiltic Revolution [Aztec for Red] with knowledge stolen from The Illuminators. Wooden stocks longer than a man is tall held a pair of Orichalcum rails mounted on top running most of their length. A lacquered bronze plate could be used to “lock” the weapon and load an iron ball into the Ichor-energized rails. The Orichalcum would press the loaded ball into the plate until the plate was removed, creating a very audible ringing while the weapon was loaded and giving them the nickname “Bellguns”. Once removed, the ball was launched down the rails at incredible speed. While it was possible for an individual to operate the weapon when mounted on its forked rest, the size of the Whalelock and the accompanying Ichor Jar made it easier to have one person aiming and shooting while another kept reloads handy and swaps Ichor if necessary. Whalelocks tended to vary in specifications by workshop, down to the gauge of rails and size of the shot used, and even within the same workshop that wasn’t always consistent.

The only real issue the Whalelock had was jamming, where a ball could be loaded while the plate was being placed, “jamming” the thumb against the plate and battering it until something was moved.

Only one Ziggawatt saw use of the Whalelock during The Revolution, and it nearly resulted in the banning of the weapon in its entirety. Citizens of the Tlacotzin Ziggawatt-State had gathered in protest at the foot of the Tlacotzin Ziggawatt, paralyzing the region for days as the people made demands for fair and even footing for all. In what is considered a largely bloodless revolution, the Massacre of Tlacotzin Square could paint an entirely different picture if taken out of context.

A thundering line had been set up to keep the masses from entering the Tlacotzin Ziggawatt proper, and while nobody can be certain exactly why, they began firing on the crowd. While they should have been overwhelmed within moments, one gunner practically dumped his shot into the powered rails and unleashed a torrent of iron death upon those closest to him. Fearing they were going to be torn apart by a now stampeding crowd, others in the line followed suit. Everyone in the Empire knows someone who was at Tlacotzin. Everyone who was at Tlacotzin was lucky if they left unharmed. Once the Revolution was resolved, a ban of Whalelocks was considered by all parties as a result of the Massacre. This ultimately went nowhere, as Tlacotzin, which even now largely acts as though it is independent of the Confederacy at times, refused to disarm. [GM Note: Hello, Texas] With this power in the hands of one Ziggawatt-State, it only made sense to the others to arm themselves as well.

Whalelock Rifles do not have an associated cost, and will be treated as the baseline for your firearms in the final Prelim. Turn.

Preliminary Turn 3 “Combat” Report

In an age that the citizens of The Twelve Bays Confederacy defined by their increased connectivity and expanded their industrial base, it seemed as though the south had done almost the exact same thing as a result of the phenomenon scholars call “The Single Brain Cell Theory”. They used more of their infernal materials to produce The Screaming Web, a series of buildings scattered throughout their empire that effectively screamed at one another and, rumor has it, also used some sort of scrying to communicate basic messages between Screaming Web Posts. The spread of knowledge this facilitated resulted in an overhaul of their entire society and a rebalancing of the three pillars of their society: The Lizherd Barons and their Chupacaderos, the ever-vital Quarter-Masters, and the Church’s Creation Club intellectuals.

Three pillars of society? Weird, never heard of it.

The connectivity of the Cargonian Empire saw that knowledge spread leveraged to the fullest, generally bolstering the foundations of their lizard-based society.

Preliminary Turn 4 Design

The Empire has grown far and wide, and now the southern fringes of your empire have reached the great river dividing the continent. This river, reaching to widths of a dozen kilometers in some places, was all that divided two great, ambitious, and mighty powers. But it wasn’t doing that great of a job. Innovations on both sides of the river network so vital to every life on the planet had led to each side perceiving misuse and mistreatment of the environment from the other. Industrialization was rampant, and eventually frontier towns on opposite sides of the river would develop friction.

What Industrial Evolution-era Development do you border territories develop that The South sabotages? Write the proposal as if you are expecting a fair roll, and do not include any acts of sabotage within it. This design will receive an automatic two (Utter Failure) before difficulty and setting bonus modifiers.

Spoiler: "Armory" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map Key (click to show/hide)
TURNTURNTURN
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21