Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 517336 times)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #1020 on: March 10, 2017, 03:59:41 pm »

Spirits surround me... I am not sure if I am alive or dead. They suddenly surround me, crushing me, drowning me. Wait, I am not being drowned by ghosts, I am in water! I desperately try to swim for the surface. It appears that a ceiling is above me, but I try anyway. I rise up, up, up, and luckily, instead of hitting my head on the ceiling, find myself in a small cave. I gasp for air, then note the only entrance to the cave appears to be the water I came in on. If I were a Human, this would be impossible to see in, but, luckily, I am a dwarf, and dwarves can see in the dark. There are some boulders piled on one of the sides. I decide to try moving them, hoping that I may discover another exit to this place. As I move one of the boulders, I see glint of light, and am encouraged to move more of the stones. I discover not an exit, but a peculiar sword. strangely, it seems to shimmer in the light, even though there is no light here. As I sit here holding this sword, I remember whose fault it is that I am here. Gwolfski! He is the one who flooded the fort, dooming many dwarves to their deaths, and forcing me to refuge here. As I remember Gwolfski's folly, the sword glows. I calm down a little, and the sword's light lowers, until it is just a shimmer again. I realize that to gain revenge on Gwolfski, I must get out of here. As I realize this, the sword resumes light, until it is nearly burning my eyes. I feel myself walk to the wall. "But there is no exit here", I think, While my sword swings, and creates one. The rock is hard, but my sword cuts through like meer butter. Where it slices, nothing remains. I smile, and begin to tunnel through the rock. Later, I pop through into one of as-of-yet unsubmerged corridors of the fort, suprising a somewhat elderly dwarf. I say to him, "Where is Gwolfski?!". He replies, still shaken, "Gwolfski is nowhere, for he is dead". "No, this cannot be!", I exclaim, "How am I to get revenge on one who is dead?". Then, the sword iself seemed to speak to me, and it said this, "Many things I can cut, and I happen to know that ectoplasm is one of them". "Hmmm... I suppose this shall work.", I said, and walked off. "I think I shall refer to you as 'Rosywander'", said I as I walked away. "you ain't wanting to buy some fish?", called the old dwarf after me. I turned back, and put Rosywander to his throat. "Do know what was wrong with that sentence?, said I. "No", said he, afraid once again. "Ain't means 'am not', and 'you am not' is incorrect grammar", I said as Rosywander sliced through the fool's head.
---------
I wrote this before I read to the end of the thread. I hope that Gwolfski is currently dead, and that Pikachu17 is alive. If I am dead, please PM with the info, and do not re-dwarf me, unless I specifically tell you to.
A Grammar Nazi madman, wonderful. Just what we needed.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 10, 2017, 04:11:45 pm »

Do not forget the magical evil telepathic adamantine sword, also known as Rosywander. Oh, by the way, Rosywander is a artifact adamantine luckblade(as in "oh, look, my enemies fell into a hole that happened to be there." " Hey, all of my enemies were hit by lightning." " Oh, a troll appeared and killed all my enemies, then died of a heart attack so it would not attack me."). I didn't know how to reveal all this information in the story post, though.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 10, 2017, 04:24:01 pm »

Do not forget the magical evil telepathic adamantine sword, also known as Rosywander. Oh, by the way, Rosywander is a artifact adamantine luckblade(as in "oh, look, my enemies fell into a hole that happened to be there." " Hey, all of my enemies were hit by lightning." " Oh, a troll appeared and killed all my enemies, then died of a heart attack so it would not attack me."). I didn't know how to reveal all this information in the story post, though.
Wonderful, a new evil artifact, this one a prime example of both "light is not good" and "good powers, bad people." It also fits for "cursed artifact" in the posesion category. Arc is a trope master. This means he is incredibly well versed in the cliches of stories, mostly because he has found that these tend to be reflected in real life.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:26:12 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1023 on: March 10, 2017, 05:33:33 pm »

How comforting is it that most of the bunker is a Temple, for Sprin?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 10, 2017, 05:44:10 pm »

It isn't a temple anymore, and I find that very comforting.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1025 on: March 10, 2017, 05:55:55 pm »

religion-ist!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: March 10, 2017, 06:00:52 pm »

religion-ist!
Pro-sanity. More specifically, anti-insane-abuser. That is, anything involving damaging you and/or Sprin is seen as good
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 10, 2017, 06:59:20 pm »

Arx who is after you?

IronTomato. It's in the OP!
God damn, it's almost time? I have not been keeping up with the fort's status at all.

* IronTomato reads furiously

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 10, 2017, 07:00:01 pm »

Spirits surround me... I am not sure if I am alive or dead. They suddenly surround me, crushing me, drowning me. Wait, I am not being drowned by ghosts, I am in water! I desperately try to swim for the surface. It appears that a ceiling is above me, but I try anyway. I rise up, up, up, and luckily, instead of hitting my head on the ceiling, find myself in a small cave.

I gasp for air, then note the only entrance to the cave appears to be the water I came in on. If I were a Human, this would be impossible to see in, but, luckily, I am a dwarf, and dwarves can see in the dark. There are some boulders piled on one of the sides. I decide to try moving them, hoping that I may discover another exit to this place. As I move one of the boulders, I see glint of light, and am encouraged to move more of the stones. I discover not an exit, but a peculiar sword. strangely, it seems to shimmer in the light, even though there is no light here. As I sit here holding this sword, I remember whose fault it is that I am here.

Gwolfski! He is the one who flooded the fort, dooming many dwarves to their deaths, and forcing me to refuge here. As I remember Gwolfski's folly, the sword glows. I calm down a little, and the sword's light lowers, until it is just a shimmer again. I realize that to gain revenge on Gwolfski, I must get out of here. As I realize this, the sword resumes light, until it is nearly burning my eyes. I feel myself walk to the wall. "But there is no exit here", I think, While my sword swings, and creates one. The rock is hard, but my sword cuts through like mere butter. Where it slices, nothing remains. I smile, and begin to tunnel through the rock.

Later, I pop through into one of as-of-yet unsubmerged corridors of the fort, suprising a somewhat elderly dwarf. I say to him, "Where is Gwolfski?!".

He replies, still shaken, "Gwolfski is nowhere, for he is dead".

"No, this cannot be!", I exclaim, "How am I to get revenge on one who is dead?".

Then, the sword itself seemed to speak to me, and it said this, "Many things I can cut, and I happen to know that ectoplasm is one of them".

"Hmmm... I suppose this shall work.", I said, and walked off. "I think I shall refer to you as 'Rosywander'", said I as I walked away.

"You ain't wanting to buy some fish?", called the old dwarf after me.

I turned back, and put Rosywander to his throat. "Do know what was wrong with that sentence?, said I.

"No", said he, afraid once again.

"Ain't means 'am not', and 'you am not' is incorrect grammar", I said as Rosywander sliced through the fool's head.
---------
I wrote this before I read to the end of the thread. I hope that Gwolfski is currently dead, and that Pikachu17 is alive. If I am dead, please PM with the info, and do not re-dwarf me, unless I specifically tell you to.
This text wall is killing my eyes, so I fixed the spacing.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: March 10, 2017, 09:21:38 pm »

religion-ist!
Pro-sanity. More specifically, anti-insane-abuser. That is, anything involving damaging you and/or Sprin is seen as good
One of the first things I did was carve that out and begin moving coffins down the stairs.  I intended it to be the public gravesite, but I didn't get the opportunity before trolls appeared.  How easily can those things climb?  Because I know I got the gate closed, and then suddenly there was more death.  Didn't you guys mod them to have the ability to short range teleport?
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1030 on: March 11, 2017, 04:23:29 am »

There's holes in the roof. I fixed all I could find, but probably missed some.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1031 on: March 11, 2017, 05:30:01 am »

So you know the trolls making it in around the fortifications? There's a damned ramp up the outside of the fortifications, leading straight into the inside. I have no idea why the fort isn't swarming with zombies right now. I have corrected this. The ramp, not the zombies.

1st Galena. We're still alive! 13 adults left standing, there's more work than hands by a large margin. Trying to work the priorities. One of the children has gone crazy again, grabbing random stuff to take to a workshop. Keeps them busy and maybe useful, I guess.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 05:44:38 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1032 on: March 11, 2017, 05:44:29 am »

Also some of the bridges that kept us safe burned down.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1033 on: March 11, 2017, 08:30:41 am »

Well, we've got another ghost. Not that it matters, really!

Since someone's previously pierced the magma sea, I'm starting some operations to generate a safe pool to draw from for magma forges and smelters. Found some accessible tetrahedrite, praise the miners.

Of course, to build a safe magma forge/smelter, we need to have smelted ore and forged parts, so that'll take a little while. Fortunately, we have wood to burn to make the components needed.

Orders are in to have the parts made for the pump for the magma as soon as the furnaces are operational. This way even if it doesn't happen while I'm running things, it'll get done for the next overseer. Hopefully things will be stable enough that the next overseer can get back to searching for hints to lost Necrothreat. Our one solitary miner is doing a good job carving out a large tetrahedrite vein, so we'll be set for a good chunk of coppersmithing.

The child with the strange ideas is still amassing junk. Rocks, some rough gems, some cloth, and some logs. And still going. Crazy stuff, I just hope it ends in something useful.

It's almost Limestone, and so far nothing major has happened. Food stocks are stable and secure, we've got farms rolling again. There's even some limited activity outside because the invaders are blind. One forumite is hunting. A child is playing outside.

We're piling bodies in the fortified area, near the gate. Intimidate our enemies! And also get rid of the stench of rot.

Horrible crunchings come from below! By which I mean Bidno, our local cave dragon, finally cracked the door at the bottom of the stairs. I had the top walled up long ago, though.

OOC or somesuch: Regarding the ghost problems, I found this guy:

Regarding the troll not-a-problem:

And lastly, it's been about 3 months and we're definitely stable and safe. Anyone have tips for killing the 64 zombies outside the walls? We have all of 13 adults.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:52:56 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: March 11, 2017, 10:05:34 am »

Hopefully things will be stable enough that the next overseer can get back to searching for hints to lost Necrothreat.

Oh yeah, forgot that was the initial mission.

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 202