Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 505767 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #2505 on: January 12, 2018, 04:15:55 pm »

How long did the write up take? Not long. I will admit to having played the game too much and writing too little. :P

If you meant the poem, I did it on my phone while my parents left me in the car and went to buy paint. Maybe thirty minutes? Forty?

Should have another write up finished for tonight.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: January 12, 2018, 05:29:34 pm »

I was asking about the poem.  Curiosity sated.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: January 12, 2018, 08:45:13 pm »

Ah, okay. I have a bad tendency to write a poem and then never edit it, which I suppose I should start to do. Time and reflection couldn't hurt.

And yet, if he did not know his god, what was he to do?
The people here relied on him.
His guidance.
But he was a cripple. Even the toilets were beyond his reach without help.
What could he do to help guide his flock?

-------------

Rain fell. Not the steady, gentle rains of summer. Not a rain to nurture the roses and bring forth the green margin on the lawn. This was thick, gelatinous almost. It was a screen before the Forumite’s eyes. But the blood remained.

On the ground outside the gates, the pale forms of the Bear’s victims were stretched. Some stared upwards. Others stared at nothing. Some… had no eyes with which to stare at all. Every inch of exposed flesh was scored and deformed. Before them lay the bear, its form bloodied. It was massive. The word had never meant as much to Th4DwArfY1 as it did at that moment, looking up at the extraordinary mass of the fallen creature. Its head was nearly as big as he was.

Standing beside the corpse was a strong-limbed Forumite, a pick stained red held in his hand. He was gasping for breath, and the rain had somehow managed to slick down even his beard. Th4DwArfY1 felt for his own, and cursed inwardly. Damnation be to this woman’s body he inhabited.

On the ground beside the boulder of a head, a diminutive figure moaned, and those with Th4DwArfY1 jumped back. Mud oozed wetly as the Forumite sat upright, bruised but alive. The overseer had thought this one dead, too. It seemed he was mistaken.

Comfort. You want comfort and happiness for these… Forumites. It is strange, your lucidity. I feel it…teaching me, almost. You want them to be free and happy. It is strange. I almost feel as if you were the mad one.

He sighed, walking forward, staff held outward. He felt it blaze red in his hand. The Forumite with the pick took a step backwards, flinching with the movement. Then he stood still, and the staff touched him on the chest. Directly over his heart.

“I name you Bearbane, and my own Lieutenant. For your bravery, you will be rewarded. For saving more of the people of Necrothreat from this fate, you are esteemed. Walk from this day onward as my advisor, member of my council. I have decided that a ruler needs advice in affairs of state. You will be the first. Remind us of our links to the common man, and his inherent nobility.”

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He turned to go, thoughts already turning to his constant worry. It was quiet, too quiet. But he did not get far; from the corner of his eye, he saw movement. Where the rain fell the heaviest, where the mud had been churned into a crimson broth, there was a child. It was playing in the mud, not a novelty in itself; the fort’s children got everywhere. He expected a parent to come forward, though. Blood was no play thing, as the Forumites knew too well.

He began to turn around again. Until he saw something that shocked him to the very marrow. The child was playing, and the blood played with him.

-----

Time passed. Th4DwArfY1 gathered a new council, as he said he would. From strange laboratories, he teased Erin Quill. The Duke, Arx, who claimed to only be a humble peasant despite his noble title and military ability. And from his rooms echoing to the sound of dripping water, Apiks.

He remembered going into those chambers and confronting the Bone King. It had been the last thing he’d wanted to do, and he still heard the chainsaws of Apiks and his minions as they greeted him. But the deposition of Highmax had proven one thing. Apiks’ methods were unsavoury, but not all of his goals were. If he could be yoked to the right ruling authority, if he could give counsel instead of orders…. Maybe he could still be of use.

More importantly, Apiks was a wildcard in any rule. It felt good to have him well in sight, though his reasons for accepting Th4DwArfY1’s offer of a counsel position still remained vague to him. No doubt some grand scheme was part of it which he could not begin to comprehend. Either way, the Bone King advised him.

Eventually, a situation came where he had to call his advisors. His efforts to bring joy to the Forumites had been slowly failing. They seemed almost to resent his rule, brought as it was by a blood red sceptre. There were also rumours of him mumbling to himself, though those of course were unfounded. He was managing to contain Sprin and his madness, though it would be nice to be able to see Jenny for himself.

This, though, was more pressing by far. In the dark of the night, when all were sleeping, the attacks of the past forgotten, something had happened. As doors had been sealed shut for the night and the guards drooped at their posts, an enemy emerged in the fortress.

Th4DwArfY1 was there to see it happen. He had been having lunch with Bearbane, and had drunk as much ale as ever NAV had.

NAV was a pig and an upstart! Damn crossbows.

So when it began, he did not trust his vision. Bearbane dropped his own mug, and fell to the floor, writhing in agony. The frothy scent of yeast filled the air, and he could see terror in his friend’s eyes. He rushed to help, but even as he did, Bearbane screamed, loud and drawn out. His form…rippled. Clothes tore, muscles became more pronounced. His spine emerged like a ladder down his back, and hair began sprouting from his hands, his legs. A final scream, and it was done.

Green eyes watched Th4DwArfY1. Yellow teeth snapped at him.

He cursed his folly in leaving his chainsaw behind, and fled. Bearbane tore after him, snapping teeth inches from flesh. Doors flew past. Statues grinned, bearing the face of Carefulrogue stamped on them.

Even pursued by a friend-turned-huge-Werebear, Sprin still managed to speak calmly in his head. He seemed to be having fun.

That Carefulrogue fellow does like his statues. Maybe we should cut his face off and stick it onto a stone…? Yes. I can see the surgical instruments now. A scalpel, to peel back the skin… yes. Pliers, to loosen the skull. Hmmmmmm. Perhaps a gel of his blood to act as a sticking agent. Wastes nothing. Hmmm.

Shocked at the graphic detail, Th4DwArfY1 ran into one of the statues’ outstretched arms, causing dizziness. He sank to his knees.

And the bear was upon him.

Suddenly, though he could smell its fetid breath, it turned away. Someone shouted, and the beast growled. He heard the sound of retreating feet, and the werebear drove after them. If there had been any of his friends intelligence in those green eyes, he would be dead. He shuddered.

It was with no surprise that he heard a gentle purring beside him, or the soft tones of Apiks' voice.

"Ah, grand overseer. I see you appear to be on your knees. Quite unguarded, really. How amusing."

Scrambling to his feet, Th4DwArfY1 cast about for his sceptre and clutched it protectively, but Apiks only laughed. "Relax, illustrious one. I intend you no harm... at the moment. In fact, I think I just saved your life. Ah, yes, you're shocked. Well, so am I. But there it is. That mechanic, Id, the one so lucky to have escaped the bear. He started twitching on the floor, so I locked the room he was in."

Apiks shrugged.

"Really, anyone with a brain would have done the same. Though the one you were with does seem to... ah... have quite the free reign." The last was said with a sneer, and the chainsaw (ever churning in circles of steel) revved faster. But then he shrugged. "Anyway, I put two and two together. That's Arx you hear shouting. He's engaged big fuzzy and is drawing him off. I suppose you owe me your life. Thanks are in order. Perhaps after we kill Id and your new teddy bear."

“Never. You are vile. Hateful. Disgusting. I will tear you from your throne, and feed your entrails to the children. Your name will be whispered in the night as a curse, your bones will be ash, your flesh a brand, your name scratched from the record book, your eyes shoved into the carcass of a reindeer buck and then sent to be devoured by snakes. I will tear the sun from the sky and place it in your mouth beside the raging sea of the polar North. I…”

Th4DwArfY1 stopped, short of breath, and shook his head. Apiks looked shocked. Strange; what had surprised him?

“Sorry, I missed the last of what you said there. But I thank you for saving me.” He held out a hand, and Apiks took it, shaking it. What was the glimmer deep within his eye?

“No problem, my overseer.” And he began to laugh.

------

“Bearbane has fallen.

“I do not pretend to be a capable speaker. Despite my power, this staff with which I rule you, I am not strong. I have had to force myself to this podium, force my very sinew to do what is right.”

Th4DwArfY1's voice went soft, though it still reached into the farthest corners of the dining room. The waterfall bubbled, almost erasing the care from his brow.

“Bearbane has fallen, and to the very sickness he fought. In the form of a bear, he stalks our hallways. Our Duke, Arx, fought him, spear to claw. Id the mechanic, too, has fallen to the curse.”

In the sudden silence after his words, there were many gasps. Murmured conversations started up, but were silenced by his upheld, red hand.

His voice thundered in the close confines of the tavern drinking hall. “I am no speaker, my dear Forumites! My words come strained and without polish. I can only hope that you, the people, understand them as they are meant.

“Bearbane defended us when no others did. He stood at my side in counsel. His words of wisdom guided us when we were weakest.

“I must now admit that there are members of my council who would kill this new bear. They would see both Id and Bearbane slain, their blood the price of our comfort.

“And I find myself in a dilemna. I hold it deep within my heart, my countrymites, that my friend still dwells behind those emerald eyes. A man with a great heart, sound ambition. One whose hands have wielded the pick and struck the earth, just as I have.

“And so I turn to you, whose comfort we hope to achieve. I have striven to bring you happiness, have sought to build bowers from which you may enjoy your lives. I did this without you asking me to.

“And yet, I see now a second path that I may take! One less walked, but still rewarding. If we set aside comfort for labour, ease for work, safety for danger. If we put all our winnings on one pitch of the dice, and smile at our ruin. Aye, if we let a threat dwell near us, and be unafraid. If we go out of our way to help a fellow who has sunk beyond all our knowledge into darkness. If we do all this, we will find joy in effort rather than comfort.

“For do we not live in Necrothreat, my friends? Should we not laugh at danger, sing during the siege?

“As I said, I am no speaker. But these words come from my heart. They come from what I see to be truth.

“Tell me, people of Necrothreat! Should we slay Bearbane and Id for the sake of comfort? I have not asked you in the past, but I do so now, my heart heavy, my tongue forced to action. What is your opinion?”

A sea of murmurs filled the room, but when the answer finally came, Th4DwArfY1 smiled.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:55:41 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: January 12, 2018, 09:00:21 pm »

I'd vote to spare the bear, but I'm dead.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: January 12, 2018, 09:03:33 pm »

Have a care who'd wish to spare the bear
His teeth are sharp and you soft fare.

By the way, that was a genuine question. I'll kill the bear if you vote for it.

Also: A note on Carefulrogue statues.

They're everywhere.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:05:50 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: January 12, 2018, 09:10:29 pm »

Since carefulrogue is a ghost, it would be hilarious that the statues are such because he keeps possessing people to make statues of himself

And damn it all! I wanted Higmax being a child as a surprise when he came of age :P

Edit:
I don't think I can vote as a child, but if I could, I'd vote to keep them penned and used as war machines ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:12:26 pm by highmax28 »
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: January 12, 2018, 09:28:57 pm »

Is there a way to make use of the bears or cure them of it? Could always just put them in a cage with some levers as Highmax said.

Depends on how big of a pain containment is. Kill them if there's no simple way around it.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: January 12, 2018, 10:36:37 pm »

Same as vampires. Just put them in full steel or candy and throw them in pit where they chuck prisoners or have them train in a danger room. Their lycanthropy (or would it be ursinthropy? I don't know Latin) should regenerate their bodies every full moon so they don't need food IF I RECALL CORRECTLY. Double check with the pros first

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: January 13, 2018, 05:09:14 am »

They don't need food, correct.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: January 13, 2018, 06:23:50 am »

I'm fairly sure I'm dead, redorf me as something and then use him as a meatshield or something.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: January 13, 2018, 07:50:16 am »

I guess you'd been dead since before I died, and only came back around when I'd come back, because otherwise I'm not quite sure how you wouldn't blink an eye at Erin Quill being around. :p

Anyway, I vote cage traps. Also, should we set up the Companions? (Y'know, from Skyrim.)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: January 13, 2018, 11:47:13 am »

If you can't safely cage them, kill them. 

Also, those statues I believe I made when Carefulrogue ended up fighting an army of Politicians with nothing but a shield, on his own.  Second or third life.  I thought it would be an epic scene to immortalize.  Never thought it would show up in-story though. 

EDIT:
Also: A note on Carefulrogue statues.

They're everywhere.
I only ordered up thirty... I think. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:32:06 pm by Carefulrogue »
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: January 13, 2018, 01:25:22 pm »

We have plenty of useless corridors near the entrance. Just repurpose them as pens/training dens

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: January 13, 2018, 02:54:02 pm »

Training dens for the ferocious killing machines.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: January 13, 2018, 03:14:01 pm »

I vote no
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 202