Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: George Carlin 1937-2008  (Read 9107 times)

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
Re: Geroge Carlin 1937-2008
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 10:33:30 am »

Heh.  Plenty of people didn't like her when she was alive.  Even the massive charity campaigning didn't sway everyone, so I'm sure that a few people weren't moved by her death either.  They probably kept quite quiet during the massive public mourning, though.

Anyway, back in the region of the topic, perhaps I came on a bit strong- it just strikes me as unnecessarily insensitive to have the first reply or two to a post that mourns a fellow human's death express disinterest or dislike.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 11:37:59 am »

PRAISE BE TO SCOTTY, PUNCHER OF KLINGONS.
May he brawl endlessly with them and drink from a limitless supply of scotch.

A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a comfort sash, ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 02:24:41 pm »

Good grief.  Didn't you people learn to speak well of the dead or not at all?

Oh, that Hitler. What a nice guy he was.

Gotta love those silly, nonsensical, vestigial religious traditions..

Did you just compare George Carlin to Hitler?

Whatever. Great guy, great comedian, even if you didn't like him your favorite comic did.

If you really think I was comparing George Carlin to Hitler, and not using an obviously exaggerated comparison to illustrate a point about an old superstition.. um. Well, I guess in that case further explanation is lost on you.

Speaking well of Hitler and speaking well of George Carlin was the comparison you made, and frankly, it sucked.

'Speaking well of the dead' isn't even a religious superstition, it's not there to protect us from their vengeful spirits. It's about having the common sense not to go out of your way to condemn someone who is no longer able to defend themselves, and just like anything that relates to common sense, it gets suspended in some cases. Hitler, in my opinion, would be one of those cases. A comedian? Not so much.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 02:37:54 pm »

I'm surprised nobody called in to badmouth James Doohan.  He was reputedly a big jerk off camera.  Heck, he was the only surviving original cast member who flat out refused to take part in the Futurama spoof episode.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a comfort sash, ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 02:51:54 pm »

I'm surprised nobody called in to badmouth James Doohan.  He was reputedly a big jerk off camera.  Heck, he was the only surviving original cast member who flat out refused to take part in the Futurama spoof episode.

I always heard he just hated Shatner up until the last few years of his life, that was the cause for most of the division.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 02:56:19 pm »

Anyway, back in the region of the topic, perhaps I came on a bit strong- it just strikes me as unnecessarily insensitive to have the first reply or two to a post that mourns a fellow human's death express disinterest or dislike.

'I didn't think he was funny' does not add up to dislike of him. I thought he was right about most of the things he was preaching against in his jokes.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 03:14:23 pm »

PRAISE BE TO SCOTTY, PUNCHER OF KLINGONS.
May he brawl endlessly with them and drink from a limitless supply of scotch.

When he died there was a huge debate between two towns in scotland over who should get a statue of him.
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 03:54:49 pm »

Speaking well of Hitler and speaking well of George Carlin was the comparison you made, and frankly, it sucked.

No. No, it was not. The only reason I used Hitler as an example is because he is an archetypal example of an evil human being. I used him as an example - clearly not as a comparison - to show the inherent silliness behind the idea that you shouldn't speak ill of the dead. Because I could have used any 'evil' person as an example - Manson, Palpatine, Mussolini, et cetera - and because I could substitute any 'not evil' person for George Carlin, it was not a comparison between the two elements. Never once did I try to draw the reader's attention to any similarities between George Carlin and Hitler (except that they are both dead).

Furthermore, Godwin's Law is not applicable because no Reductio ad Hitlerum was ever made. A Reductio ad Hitlerum occurs when someone makes an argument of the form 'Because Group/Person did/does Action, and because the nazis/Hitler did Action, Group/Person are like the nazis/Hitler'.

To the original poster of this idea: I apologize because what was intended to be a light, sarcastic aside has obviously derailed the topic. I didn't mean to start any 'flame wars' on a forum that has a very respectable tradition of not having any.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 04:59:55 pm by Lord Dullard »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 03:57:23 pm »

Because Lord Dullard did put Palpatine in a list of evil human beings, and because Hitler killed twelve million people, Lord Dullard is Hitler.  Not like Hitler, he physically is Adolph Hitler, in the flesh.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 05:15:10 pm »

No. No, it was not. The only reason I used Hitler as an example is because he is an archetypal example of an evil human being. I used him as an example - clearly not as a comparison - to show the inherent silliness behind the idea that you shouldn't speak ill of the dead. Because I could have used any 'evil' person as an example - Manson, Palpatine, Mussolini, et cetera - and because I could substitute any 'not evil' person for George Carlin, it was not a comparison between the two elements. Never once did I try to draw the reader's attention to any similarities between George Carlin and Hitler (except that they are both dead).

Furthermore, Godwin's Law is not applicable because no Reductio ad Hitlerum was ever made. A Reductio ad Hitlerum occurs when someone makes an argument of the form 'Because Group/Person did/does Action, and because the nazis/Hitler did Action, Group/Person are like the nazis/Hitler'.

To the original poster of this idea: I apologize because what was intended to be a light, sarcastic aside has obviously derailed the topic. I didn't mean to start any 'flame wars' on a forum that has a very respectable tradition of not having any.

Okay, no Godwin.  That was more of a gambit to end this quickly and cleanly than anything, really, but we seem to have succombed well and truly to topic drift anyway.

Respectfully, You indeed did not compare the people.  You did, however, compare the situation of their deaths- and since the people are so different, that comparison breaks down.  "Speak well of the dead or not at all" is a quotation or at least paraphrase from a religious text, but it is not a purely religious convention- as Magnus said, it comes down to common respect.  (I've heard it argued that respect for our dead is one of the fundamental things that makes us a civilised species.)  So I don't feel that bringing it up here is inappropriate, nor find the point of your aside- that we can't always apply it- germane.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 11:49:31 pm »

Geroge? Shouldn't it be George?

I thought he was kind of funny, but there was too much boring inbetween the good parts to make me watch all his stuff.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: George Carlin 1937-2008
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 02:56:59 am »

Fixed it.  Swear to god it said "George" the first time I typed it.  Even double checked to make sure.  Typed it after work, leave me alone.

And man, Hitler just sticks his ass into everything doesn't he?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 07:50:47 pm »

Aren't we getting a little off topic here? Shouldn't we be talking about Scotty, puncher of klingons?!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 07:59:15 pm »

KHAAN!
Shoes...

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 11:41:02 pm »

KHAAN!

And don't tell me this post was pointless. You need the echo if you're going to quote Star Trek II. It's like some kind of commandment or something.
Pages: 1 [2] 3