Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)  (Read 56740 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2008, 05:18:36 pm »

Communication had evolved, as most things do, out of necessity.  At a time when there was only one organism to speak to itself, the pure medium of thought was sufficient.  Yet with the sundering the old ways had become impractical.  The generations-long war had ended now, but a healthy undercurrent of fear and distrust persisted amongst the Yrb population.  What information exchange was undergone was limited now, no longer were full connections between bodies of thought engaged in but rather thoughts and memories to be shared were carefully cordoned off by the sending party to preserve not only privacy but protect against the possibility of assimilation.  Even this was uncommon now, most Yrbles making only brief connections to relay short bursts of data.  Perfect replication of an event could not be achieved, so instead symbols were developed, signals ('words') aimed to bring about a recollection of a similar event for comparison without having to relay the entire experience.

Through isolation, the first steps towards community began to evolve.

In the wake of the chaos brought about by the war, many Yrbles attempted to adjust their neural organs to compensate for the changes the Sundering had wrought.  Eventually, one Yrble stumbled upon a design that recaptured the ability of the superpsyche's former mental perception, geared towards the individual Yrble.  As it contemplated the sudden advantage it held over its fellow Yrbles, it realised that it had indeed an advantage.  Thoughts echoed through its mass, slower than a snail but swifter than lightning compared to the superpsyche's trains of thought.  With this ability it had a great advantage over other Yrbles in competing for land and food.  This advantage would only last as long as another Yrble did not discover the same combination.  It had reached the combination on its own, so nothing prevented other Yrbles devising it.  Additionally, it could not withstand many Yrbles attempting to learn its secrets by force if it attempted to use it against its fellow Yrb.  It contemplated the situation, considering tactically that Yrbles might be willing to provide it nutrients and slain small furry mammals in exchange for one of its sensory nodes.  It might be able to bargain land.  It all depended on how willing the average Yrble was to negotiate for a guaranteed loss compared to the risk of an attempt to take by force...

The advent of trade and expansion within the heartwoods brought about a question amongst the Yrb.  It began to be observed that those Yrb that grew faster began to think and react more slowly.  As the individual Yrble's mass increased and it grew closer to the size of the old superpsyche, the less agile its thoughts became.  So it was that the largest Yrbles began to divide themselves, splitting apart into near-perfect copies whose paths of identity began to diverge further and further away.

Pushed by trade and crowding, some of this new Yrb generation grew outwards, far from the heartwoods.  Knowing well the advantages garnered by the Yrble who had invented the new sensory node, Yrbles grew outwards as scouts, keeping themselves from growing beyond their constant sizes but instead lying low and concealed and watching the world beyond.  Information poured back to the heartwoods as nutrient sacs and small furry mammal carcasses slowly flowed outwards to meet them.

Finally, there came the difficulties of the great floods.  As more and more Yrb was faced by the threat of rising water and increased predation from the epicentre, a novel concept spread throughout the Yrbles.  Over the course of a year the majority of Yrbles seeded their central nodes within the trunks of forest trees, eating their way up from the roots and using them as concealment.  Those beyond the reaches of the forest concealed themselves beneath the ground instead.  So it was that some Yrb trusted to the height of the trees to save them from the floods, whilst others sought to evade it by hiding below the path of the waters.

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: EP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 06:45:20 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2008, 09:39:30 pm »

Storms? Shelter? Floods? The Chibor don't care. They can make up their losses with ease.

Also, Draigh, I think the Chibor are more east of you than north.

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 01, 2008, 09:06:13 am »

But still... old habits die hard.. and most are nomadic loners... still... change seems to be in the air... Like the tension right before lightning strikes...

Did somebody call for the Lightning God?  I'll be glad to add you to the worshipper list next turn, but I'm kinda busy this turn (what with my current chosen people at war and all, and another group wanting to start worshipping me, pp are gonna be pretty spread out.  Plus, that hurricane is just asking for it.)

That of course depends on what you have to offer... ;)

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 01, 2008, 09:15:35 am »

Storms? Shelter? Floods? The Chibor don't care. They can make up their losses with ease.

Also, Draigh, I think the Chibor are more east of you than north.

They are to the northeast, I am partly below them on the map.
As for them not caring, thats what I am trying to do. To make them care. Why send Chibor into an area where there is only loss and no gain? Am aiming for their primal instincts that tell them there is more to get up north then down south.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #229 on: October 01, 2008, 09:57:47 am »

But still... old habits die hard.. and most are nomadic loners... still... change seems to be in the air... Like the tension right before lightning strikes...

Did somebody call for the Lightning God?  I'll be glad to add you to the worshipper list next turn, but I'm kinda busy this turn (what with my current chosen people at war and all, and another group wanting to start worshipping me, pp are gonna be pretty spread out.  Plus, that hurricane is just asking for it.)

I offer supremacy in the field of technology, and the occasional firestorm to burn your enemies.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 01, 2008, 11:42:12 am »

Technology would only be handy when no hands are needed. Then again... I am working on my psychokinetic skills, so manipulating objects would not long be a problem.
But its not me but the Lanlar that you have to convince... ;)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 01, 2008, 09:24:41 pm »

I offer supremacy in the field of technology, and the occasional firestorm to burn your enemies.

Ah, but I am a god of Technology!  And, and, I offer shiny thing!

Seriously, just make up a list of demands, and I'll see what I can do next turn.

To Dark God Asheron, looks like you want a two-front Holy War.  Bring it!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 01, 2008, 11:09:33 pm »

Good luck finding something to win the Lanlar over. ;)
May the best one win.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 03, 2008, 02:47:16 pm »

The poor overworked monkey god sits down to plan.  Hm, it seems that the Plantwe need inspiration...

*Start massive plagarism.*

The Storm Before the Calm
There seem to be more an more storms every year. One rogue *Plant* suggests constructing mud structures to shield the *Plantsmall*s from the uprooting winds, a heretic idea borrowed from the *Bugplants*. At first he is cast out, but when the head chief is struck by lightening (this is a cue for any lightening god, BTW...), he is found and brought back to oversee the construction. Meanwhile the biggest storm is coming...

*End plagerism. (The monkey god takes credit for that, I however do not.)

Back to the loyal followers...

The Nahuantl are still in chaos, but seem to happier considering they came out the victors in their first inter-species conflict.  No doubt that victory is due in part to the adoption of Monkey Fu by many of the leading war chiefs.  On a sadder note, the Chosen One, the original prophet chosen by Euchre, has passed on.

Now, who should lead the worship of Euchre...

Among the followers of Euchre, exists a war chief who has gained some influence.  While she was worshipping Euchre under the night sky with other leading followers, the Great Monkey God appeared!

"I am Euchre, and I see great promise in you!"

Then, Euchre points at the war chief known as Orchid-Rock.  Suddenly, lightning appears from Euchre's harry monkey finger, and strikes Orchid-Rock.  But, she isn't harmed!  In fact, she seems to glow!

Euchre stops, and says to Orchid-Rock, "Show them."

The Great Monkey God disappears, and Orchid-Rock heads out to the place where stone (for armor, among other things) is collected.  She looks hard for a special stone, then picks up one that shines in the moonlight.

"BEHOLD!", she says.

Then, as she holds the shiny stone in her hand, she concentrates on a nearby rock.

The rock is suddenly destroyed by a bolt of lighting coming from her hand with the shiny rock in it!

All realize that Orchid-Rock is the next prophet of Euchre, and this new power spreads across the land.

Also, a week later one of the followers of Euchre calls him a fire spirit, and gets blasted with lightning.  The follower lives, but is never quite the same.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 03, 2008, 03:11:46 pm »

Heresy! No-one can defeat the mighty cult of Nevon! No-one, especial lizards with glowy hands!

*Starts the Nevon chant*

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #235 on: October 03, 2008, 03:32:54 pm »

Of course. My champion will lead a grand army and CRUSH the shiny rockling lizards in to the ground.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 03, 2008, 03:36:06 pm »

So nobody wants the electric fish?

Or, if I get my way, Electric Zerglings.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 03, 2008, 04:05:32 pm »

wow read you people rp post make me wish I had realize of this game sooner, so that I could joined in. :(
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 03, 2008, 04:18:43 pm »

hmmm... me too. sometime i would like to play as a god. but i still can't understand many things.

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 03, 2008, 04:19:25 pm »

wow read you people rp post make me wish I had realize of this game sooner, so that I could joined in. :(

New gods could maybe enter the game still..?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26