Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Controversial Idea: Miniaturization!  (Read 8518 times)

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Controversial Idea: Miniaturization!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 03:08:01 pm »

Oh gods. My manager ran out of paperwork and has mandated the entire Sharper Image catalog.

Oh and any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2008, 01:45:11 am »

are you related to puggler the punk rock juggler

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2008, 01:58:20 pm »

A system for making items scalable (with proper damage modifiers as well) was what I was looking for. In the case of a desktop catapult, it might sting at best but otherwise would be a novelty. However, the ability to build a really really big catapult (e.g. 9x9 tiles) would be really awesome, especially if one wanted to craft catapult ammunition requiring multiple stones, or to launch multiple stones from a big bucket.

In the case of magic, it might speed up the resizing process if size-object were a spell I suppose. But this would literally make Clarke's Third Law fall apart...is it magic or is it advanced technology...or both?

Things don't always scale that properly. I mean, you can't just take a medieval-style catapult, make it eight times the size, and expect it to work eight times as well. Otherwise, people back then would have actually built them, and would have essentially had doomsday weapons at their disposal if they felt like it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2008, 02:10:43 pm »

(checks his previous message...). I didn't say size=x, did I? With increased size would also come increased weight, (and support issues), increased power requirements (and not linear power requirements; the potential energy needed for a spring-gun is .5kx^2 after all...)
Pages: 1 2 [3]