Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 164

Author Topic: Blockedlance - No More Stops Until Ragnarok!  (Read 419765 times)

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
Re: Blockedlance - Grave of a Thousand Dwarves
« Reply #1215 on: October 24, 2009, 02:24:19 pm »

That autumn the dwarven traders from our exiled brethren came to barter with us.

Apparently, these demons that have been attacking us here at Blockedlance have made the rounds at Letterclose as well.  The traders brought tasty demon meat!  Mmm mmm!!!!

I also like how they say they are from the outer lands, not the mountain homes.  They realize who's boss.

Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 24, 2009, 05:56:34 pm »

Can I be part of this nightmare? What's left for NPCs?
Pretty much everyones legendary except that damn strand extractor.  Lazy bastard.

I can take the Lazy Bastard, is there enough work left for him?
Playing DF on a Mac.

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 24, 2009, 06:06:26 pm »

Your computer classes sure suck.

That's the kind of field where good teacher are hard to find, most of them are too disconnected with the real software production world.

Being efficiently lazy is the keystone of programming.
Playing DF on a Mac.

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: October 24, 2009, 08:58:24 pm »

Aww, I was half hoping eagle would have to disassemble a forge to get his anvil.
Oh well.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1219 on: October 24, 2009, 09:15:54 pm »

Programming can be fun to learn as long as you have a good teacher. I'll tell you if I ever find one.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #1220 on: October 24, 2009, 10:37:58 pm »

Aww, I was half hoping eagle would have to disassemble a forge to get his anvil.
Oh well.
That's no fun.
No fun at all.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1221 on: October 28, 2009, 11:51:33 pm »

Can I be part of this nightmare? What's left for NPCs?
Pretty much everyones legendary except that damn strand extractor.  Lazy bastard.

I can take the Lazy Bastard, is there enough work left for him?

Oh yes.  Plenty.  Theres plenty of raw adamantine just sitting on the ground.  Plus theres the z-levels above the demon pit I've only begun to touch (the vein runs right through our Dwarven Valhalla Cave awesomely enough).
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1222 on: October 28, 2009, 11:53:51 pm »

Your computer classes sure suck.

That's the kind of field where good teacher are hard to find, most of them are too disconnected with the real software production world.

Being efficiently lazy is the keystone of programming.

Oh the teachers good, hes got five doctorates.  Its just that half the class is retarded and he caters to them because he doesnt want to hear all the bitching and moaning.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1223 on: October 28, 2009, 11:57:36 pm »

Programming can be fun to learn as long as you have a good teacher. I'll tell you if I ever find one.

Programming is always fun to learn!

I love it all...right down to the last semicolon.  My own web page is about 6-7 thousand lines of code.  95% written by me (I plead the fifth on the other five percent).  I'm pretty proud of it.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1224 on: October 29, 2009, 12:31:22 am »

Chapter #11 - Sunrise on the Microcline

Yay!  It's spring of 237 again!!!  This is where the save was lost, so from here on out Im no longer making up for lost time!  WooooT

The pyramid is making GREAT progress since I killed slightly fewer dwarves this time around and turned them all into masons.  I'm already up to floor 7 on the giant dwarven-made mountain.  We actually ran out of dolomite on the seventh floor.  It sucks because most of whats left is crummy old diorite.  Only the top couple layers have the dolomite sweetness.

Urist has ordered the mining out of more noble bedrooms on the dolomitey temple levels.  Also, we're finally extending the moat.  That should be all the dolomite we need.  Now we just have to come up with a mega project for all this diorite.

We managed to get rid of some diorite by redesigning our front entrance way.  It has been drastically altered.  The base of the pyramid juts out over the road in the courtyard.  The road will need to be removed.  And The old barracks is now just way too close to the base of the pyramid.  I think it may have to come down.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 12:41:54 am by MrGimp »

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #1225 on: October 29, 2009, 12:36:34 am »

Hmm... Sunrise on the Microline...
I like.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1226 on: October 30, 2009, 11:39:27 pm »

Programming is always fun to learn!

I love it all...right down to the last semicolon.  My own web page is about 6-7 thousand lines of code.  95% written by me (I plead the fifth on the other five percent).  I'm pretty proud of it.
[rant]Oh lordy lordy! I love programming to, its just that some teachers can make it so boring and hard. I had a class where I basically knew everything that the class was supposed to teach me halfway through and the only thing that made the class go so long was that the teacher felt you had to "make" 100 new programs for every thing you learned! Of course that would not be so bad but for the fact that its not making really if the book tells you every little step you have to take then gives you how the coding should look never mind that the page of programming could easily be fit into a couple lines with the thing you learn next![/rant]
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1227 on: November 02, 2009, 12:32:25 am »

Yeah the tedium of doing things over and over sucks.  But ALWAYS save that shit.  At least as soon as you're programming worthwhile stuff.  Like I just have basic templates of everything from user logins and forums, and web layouts.  Nothing impressive, but it saves a lot of time when you can just copy paste instead of re-writing a couple thousand lines of code.

Speaking of re-writing code....stupid Internet Explorer is displaying my page wrong again.  Everytime I get it right, they elf it all up!  I urge everyone to switch to google chrome or firefox.  They're free, way faster, and way better.  Plus, they're easier on us coders.  I don't know what is up with IE.  They're buggy as hell....and always changing how they handle different elements.  I always have to write 'IE only' functions to fix this crap.  My dwarven efficiency chafes at having to write things twice!  CHAFES I SAY!!!

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1228 on: November 02, 2009, 01:21:37 am »

Christes floated miserably through the barren void.  The emptiness was mind crushing.  There was nothing to do.  No one to talk to.  Nothing to look at or touch or taste or smell.  It had been this way for a couple years possibly....she had no understanding of the passage of time here.  Every moment was the same as the next.

She had not seen anything but whiteness since Tradan had faded into a dot in the distance so small, that it eventually became consumed by the whiteness as well.

She was astonished when she came upon the sight of something in the distance.  She was headed straight for it...

Closer and closer she flew...or fell?  She was almost being pulled in by the gravity of this single point in the void.  She made out several stones, a simple bed, and the figure of a strange being that belonged to a race Christes had never seen before.

When she was very close, her feet landed on an invisible 'floor', and she walked again for the first time in years.

She was happy to see another sentient being, and began shouting immediately.  "Oh my god!  Another person!  Who are you? What is this place?"

There was silence for a moment. 

"Can you understand me?" she asked.  Again there was silence...except...there was almost a whisper in her mind.  As she focused on it, the voice grew louder.  She could hear the strange being speaking to her, though his lips did not move, and his body made no real sound.  He was shouting in her mind now.

"HELLO???"

"Oh...hey!" she said out loud, startled.

"I haven't seen another being in....in....in I don't know how long," said the voice in her head.

"How long have you been here?" asked Christes.

"I don't know.  I have been here so long, that I do not even remember a time when I was not here."

Wow...that's fucked up, thought Christes to herself.

The being's face contorted into a grimace.  The voice in her head spat back at her angrily, "Well you get to enjoy it too!"

"Sorry....I'm not used to someone who can read minds."

"Read minds?" asked the voice.  "The last two guys that I saw said that same thing about me.  I didn't understand what they meant....they were mad.  Mad, mad, mad.  The whiteness will do that to ya."

"Uhhhh...." Christes tried not to think the words 'mad like you?' and instead kept the conversation going.  "What is this place?  Who put these stones here?  How come we can walk?"

"These stones have always been here!  I have always walked!" the telpath's voice shouted.

"But...everything else is empty...did Armok give you this cell?"

"Armok?"

"Big demon guy....horns, gnarled teeth?  Fire and brimstone?  Any of that ring a bell?"

"I can't say I recall anyone by that name....I only ever remember receiving two visitors.  I don't remember their names.  They ran off into the whiteness.  You can go look for them if you like.  Maybe one of them is the Armok you're looking for?"

"Uhhh...no thanks." mumbled Christes.  "I just....I mean....well....how many people are trapped in here in the whiteness?  I thought it was just me and my boyfriend?"

"Well there could be an infinite number of people here in an infinite void, and you would still have no chance of meeting anyone else ever.  The fact that I have met three people now is breathtakingly unlikely.  It was literally an infinitesimal chance of me even meeting one!"

The telepath walked to the left.  "Please, sit for a while and drink tea with me!"

Christes looked down, and there was a table!  There was a fine pewter tea set, and steaming tea already poured.  It was as if she was in a dream.  Was she hallucinating?  Oh well...even if she was, she wasn't about to fight it.  At least hallucinations were interesting.  Much better than bleak whiteness.

"I'd love some tea," Christes said at last.  She sat at the table with the telepath.  "You've gotta teach me how to make stuff out of nothing."

"What are you talking about?"

"The table.  It wasn't here before."

"What?  It's always been here!"

Christes settled in for several months of interesting conversation with her mad telepathic friend...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:00:40 pm by MrGimp »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: November 02, 2009, 01:52:17 am »

I'm glad Christes gets to do something interesting.

And, whoa, nice graphics.

Is that a first for a community fortress?
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 164