Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3557118 times)

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11145 on: January 25, 2010, 08:06:07 am »

Giving that sieges are nexst in pipeline (after this update and bug fixes I understand), is there some current details as of what kind of changes will be coming to siege weapons? Any new seige weapons designed? Implementation, use etc?

I'd love to see and comment such things. I want a siege weapon that fires 25 bolts on one go, not a ballista arrow, and I would like to know where these are planned.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11146 on: January 25, 2010, 08:18:42 am »

Will it be possible to make the ITEMCORPSE tag multi-value, i.e. so that several items may be added, and one of them will be chosen at random at the creature's death?

What like Pearls, Stones, and ingested gold?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11147 on: January 25, 2010, 08:24:50 am »

It's my (admittedly limited) understanding that just the fact that it's a quad, should help with any performance issues, since you can devote a core entirely to the game. Anything else that's going on on your computer can be handled by the other three. 

It's not optimal, ofcourse, because DF isn't multithreaded/multicore, but at the same speed, 4 cores should still outperform a single core, circumstantially, I would think. This should basically also be consistent with 2 cores, though, dependant ofcourse on what else you've got running.
With a dual core you've usually got enough crap filling up the other one that DF can get a lot of power- there's maybe another 30% of the processor in my computer not it use when DF is maxing out the one core. With a quad core DF can at best take up 25% of your power, which in this case looks to be a whole lot smaller than my 50%. He probably doesn't have so much crap going that the other three are really being utilized significantly.

Cats always land on their feet, right? So the impact should break their legs.
Having less body mass they can fall a really long way safely. The towers we drop goblins off of would still be too much but just a few z levels? No problem.

Funfact: cats really hate having their face just an inch off the ground when they're not standing on it.
Ok, sorta not so fun. More a side observation of trying to drop one low enough that it couldn't flip.

Note to self: To get Toady to answer your question immediatley, make it about questions.

It depends on the hight. To low and they cant turn around and to highthey break there bones. This said i want to see a cat fall from 2Z-levels unharmed.

Math time!

According to Wikipedia, the typical housecat has a mass between 4 and 5 kilograms, so let's assume 4.5 kilograms is the typical mass of our Dorf's cat. We know they don't seem to eat, so we don't need to take full/empty stomachs into the equation.

Let's assume that one Z level is around about 1.5 meters. Yes, I know that Toady hasn't given us any concrete figures on dimensions, and I think he said at one point that he dosen't really want to as that will cause all kinds of complications from the community, but we're going to have to make some assumptions. Sadly, real physics doesn't work on Z levels.

So we're talking about a three meter drop.

If we assume that the gravity works the same as normal, and that the planet has as much mass as our Earth, g should be about 9.8, and as v^2=u^2 + 2ax, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (here, zero), a is acceleration (here, 9.8 m/s^2 down), and x is the displacement (here, 3 meters down), the final velocity of this daring cat should be... the square root of 58.8 meters a second.

In other words, roughly 7.67 m/s, ignoring air resistance. So the cat's momentum is 34.51 kg m/s at impact.

Does anyone know the compressive strength of a cat's leg bone?
I'd imagine it's less than that but landing doesn't work like that as you use your leg as a spring to make that less of an impact force.
I've got no idea where to find spring measures for animal legs though. Probably better to just look for a site on the net that talks about how far cats can fall.

Air resistance?

No, the forces are still applied to your face. Actually, they aren't in new air bags, so let's go back to the cat, shall we?

The forces from the impact are still applied to the cat. The total force is still 58.8 newtons, but the cat is able to lengthen the time of the collision, lowering the peak force, so instead of breaking the cat's legs, the paws are deformed to the point where they might hurt a bit for the next couple of minutes. I don't know, I'm not a cat, but the forces are still all applied to the cat. Physics would break if they did not.
1 pound of force over 10000 seconds is very different from 10000 pounds of force over 1 second. Same total but "the force" dissipates in one but snaps a bone into splinters in the other.

Also, that cat bug got fixed suspiciously fast.  I bet he just removed cats.
After what we've been posting about doing with them I can't blame him.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11148 on: January 25, 2010, 08:29:00 am »

I've had a few suggestions that seem deceptively easy to implement.

Do you mean for this release?  He already has "hundreds" of feature requests to consider.

If you meant future releases -- as you know, itemcorpse, the embark points system, and the Seven Dwarves are all placeholders, meaning that yes, they'll get replaced or upgraded at some point (although probably not as hackish-ly as you suggested).  For the last two, it'll probably happen as part of this dev item:

# Core76, EMBARK SCENARIOS, (Future): Embarking in dwarf mode is one of the more sterile, gameish parts of the... game, and it can afford to be spruced up. Though a full take-your-wagons-from-here-to-there style embark is probably beyond the scope of version 1, at least giving the backstory for the journey and adding various game effects and alterations to starting conditions based on it would help with immersion.

Giving that sieges are nexst in pipeline (after this update and bug fixes I understand), is there some current details as of what kind of changes will be coming to siege weapons? Any new seige weapons designed? Implementation, use etc?

I'd love to see and comment such things. I want a siege weapon that fires 25 bolts on one go, not a ballista arrow, and I would like to know where these are planned.

There's this dev item:

# Bloat117, SIEGE ENGINES, (Future): Do more with siege engines, more types, more descriptions like animal-headed battering rams and so on. This also leads to extensive improvements that could be made. This involves taking the general "ballista parts" and so on and making them more specific.

Beyond that, Toady hasn't said anything (that I could find) about new siege weapon types, although siege towers have come up several times.  He probably won't start planning new siege weapons until he gets to improved sieges (soon after this release), so I doubt there's much to say yet.  There's a Suggestions thread about new siege weapons -- it's a couple months old, but feel free to bump it and get the discussion going again.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11149 on: January 25, 2010, 08:30:09 am »

Not to mention that Toady has read "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" so he is aware of even some fictional Siege weapons.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11150 on: January 25, 2010, 08:48:53 am »

Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11151 on: January 25, 2010, 09:12:34 am »

Hearing that optimization is in the top 5 after this release means that I can expect (rightfully) that the next release after that or even the one after that will be about fixing some of the horrible lag problems that really just shouldn't be there, but I do need to address a few things.

I should probably make some kind of disclaimer here, for anyone else who's reading: Toady hasn't made any guarantees about what order he'll do the top 10 items in, or even whether they'll actually be implemented -- they're going to get "considered."  It's probably reasonable to expect some optimizations in the near future (I expect them), but I don't want this to get misinterpreted as a specific promise by Toady to deliver feature X at time Y.

I realize that, Footkerchief. ;) I suppose "in the near future" would have been better wording, however I can be hopeful. :P HEH!
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11152 on: January 25, 2010, 09:13:15 am »

No you can't you must all be miserable!

*Gets Happiness Vacuum*

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11153 on: January 25, 2010, 09:30:34 am »

Can't believe how close this one is. I'm looking forward to it.  :)
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11154 on: January 25, 2010, 09:44:30 am »

Well if df is your heroin the first serious bug brings you down. So lets say i get my happy time after the first Bugfix release :P .

Hehe some bugs i like to predict:

Zombys and skeletons lose bodyparts at any attacks because the holding tissues are to weak.
Cats suddenly hunt dwarfs.
Dwarfs will wear their Gypsum-casts the entire live. Therefore they get additional armor from said casts.
Urist MCDoctor cancels diagnosis: Jobitem lost or destroyed.
A new liason gets the soul of a deamon/forgotten beast assigned and trys to reign your fort.
Elven traders bring goblins as pets because they cant recognize Intelligent creatures anymore.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:48:42 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11155 on: January 25, 2010, 09:51:58 am »

Well if df is your heroin the first serious bug brings you down. So lets say i get my happy time after the first Bugfix release :P .

Hehe some bugs i like to predict:

Zombys and skeletons lose bodyparts at any attacks because the holding tissues are to weak.
fun.
Cats suddenly hunt dwarfs.
If dwarf can kill cats, then fun!
Dwarfs will wear their Gypsum-casts the entire live. Therefore they get additional armor from said casts.
fun.
Urist MCDoctor cancels diagnosis: Jobitem lost or destroyed.
Okay, maybe that's a bug.
A new liason gets the soul of a deamon/forgotten beast assigned and trys to reign your fort.
Uber-fun.
Elven traders bring goblins as pets because they cant recognize Intelligent creatures anymore.
LOL FUN!
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

chaturga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11156 on: January 25, 2010, 09:58:28 am »

Urist MCDoctor cancels diagnosis: Job item lost or destroyed.

I hope to god that isn't referring to the patient.

"Now I know I left that amputee speardwarf SOMEWHERE on this active volcano"

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11157 on: January 25, 2010, 10:39:03 am »

Urist MCDoctor cancels diagnosis: Job item lost or destroyed.

I hope to god that isn't referring to the patient.

"Now I know I left that amputee speardwarf SOMEWHERE on this active volcano"

I can totally see that happening.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11158 on: January 25, 2010, 11:05:49 am »

Toady: so legendary he fixes things without knowing it.

Health-care, forgotten beasts, and maybe material re-write are the things I think will be most likely to contain a bug.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11159 on: January 25, 2010, 11:27:25 am »

Toady: so legendary he fixes things without knowing it.

Health-care, forgotten beasts, and maybe material re-write are the things I think will be most likely to contain a bug.

Health-Care bug:  Urist McWounded has been suffocated.

*Dwarf Doctor* I don't see what I did wrong, he had a head wound so I put a cast on his face.  It would have certainly mended his skull if he had managed to tough it out and just breathe!

So, anyway, I am just wondering:  Am I reading the announcements right?  Will we be getting the update today/tomorrow?!?!?!?!?!?!
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 1065