Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Dope Wars": Second American Civil War  (Read 4365 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Dope Wars": Second American Civil War
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:40:24 am »

What would happen if the US go bankrupt?

Okay, you can stop laughing. The entire premise is absurd. But so is all Second American Civil War stories.

What I imagined is that all countries who loaned money to the US (called the "Union of Creditors") managed to seize a chunk of the US and now run the Former United States as puppets. Meanwhile, two rebel organizations, the LCS (I wish I cane come up with a better name) and the Milita Movement, seeks to restore the glory of the former United States.

You play as a member of the Russian Mafia, and your goal is to make money. Which you can easily do via the fine practice of buying cheap oil in the Autonomous Zone of Alaska and selling it off to Prefectures of Hawaii and Los Angeles, while getting enough protection to avoid you when smugglers and rival national forces seek to kill you. So, you're going to get bored. I mean, making money and attacking huge armies? How boring.

Well, you can accept jobs with the different nations and the rebel groups. And these jobs are 'semi-randomly generated', and can lead to various effects that can affect the WORLD (such as increasing the demand of oil in the Prefectures of Hawaii and Los Angeles)! Eventually, you would be able to buy a Nation outright from the Creditors, and what would happen if you unify the United States under the enlightened rule of the Russian Mafia? [[I'm asking because I don't really know what would hapepn. Sorry.]]

Yeah, I wanted to make a game based off an Afghanistan insurgency, but seeing clones of Dope Wars every single second make me realize that somebody must desire some sort of Dope War game engine.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: "Dope Wars": Second American Civil War
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:55:36 am »

Thats...

actually a pretty awesome idea.

Why the two rebel groups?  Why not a broad array of rebels?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:20:05 pm »

Multiple rebellious groups sounds like a good idea. That way there are multiple choices for who to start as with various advantages and disadvantages. The hicks from the deep south start with a decent supply of shotguns and pickup trucks, but other groups have a hard time understanding them. They also should be owned by various African nations. Things like that.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 01:44:56 pm »

Dope wars... That pbbrpgwtfbbq thing?

The idea is nice, but I think you can put it to a better use than a browser game.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 01:54:37 pm »

Multiple rebellious groups sounds like a good idea. That way there are multiple choices for who to start as with various advantages and disadvantages. The hicks from the deep south start with a decent supply of shotguns and pickup trucks, but other groups have a hard time understanding them. They also should be owned by various African nations. Things like that.

Or just a generic "rebellion" that's a catchall for the whole insurgency.  No need to track different groups that way.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 03:16:01 pm »

Well the way I was thinking was that the hicks wouldn't want to work with the damn yankees from New York, but would get along great with the Texan oil raiders. They might all want a free USA but maybe not the same way. The hicks might prefer slavery to be back in style, the Texans might want complete reliance on local oil, Yankees want complete abolishment of oil.

If you made it browser based, it would allow one to have a "ready built" team that would eventually be entirely player run with npc's giving "quests" and the players themselves would set goals, make new groups, and various other fun things. I'm actually getting myself pretty excited over this.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 04:25:19 pm »

Wait, Dope Wars is an browser-based MMORPG?

No, no, I thought Dope Wars was a single-player-type game. The game that I am making is single-player, with randomly generated quests. You travel around to each of the factions, buying and selling junk while accomplishing missions.

Right now, I want to focus on programming in how quests are going to work, before I start thinking of the different factions. For the military aspect of the game, I was thinking of just having 'generic' Mafia enforcers that you can buy from Moscow.

However, I was thinking that each "rebel" faction would have a 'special ability' that you would be able to buy from them and then use during combat. For example, if you are friendly with the yankees' alliance, you gain the support of the an "Human Rights Watch"-style organization, and you can have them issue press release accusing your foe of committing human right abuses, causing massive desertions in the enemy's armed forces (or at least the enemy to back off).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:30:04 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 04:50:20 pm »

I remember some browser game with the same or similar name. Which is why I asked.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 05:38:52 pm »

Yep, here it is.

http://treadon.us/

And on a related note: http://www.geekphase.com/

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 05:58:12 pm »

Oh dear.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 09:20:51 pm »

Yep, here it is.

http://treadon.us/

And on a related note: http://www.geekphase.com/

Dope Wars is a generic business simulation focused soley on simulating artibage in a drug setting. You buy low and then sell high. You need to start off with goods with low voiliaty before moving up to goods with higher voiliatiy. That really all it is, but people are stupidly adding too many features because they realize that business simulations are boring.

As for Treadon, ugh, the pictures on there is Not Safe For ANY VIEWER! I have seen games with gangster themes, but they are usually "Pimp"-style games, not an actual Dope War clone.

Geek Phase seems like an interesting single-player version of Dope War. Killing your loan shark would be a good idea...except I'm not going to program in a loan shark at all.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:21:27 pm »

I didn't check, I just went google sepuku.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 06:06:45 am »

Drugwars is actually one of those "classic" games, from the early 80s, like tetris, with a thousand remakes, and a surprisingly dissapointing gameplay (for their overhyped status).

That being said, I  would very much  like to see what come out of this game.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 11:26:18 pm »

I didn't check, I just went google seppuku.

Grammar Imperial time!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 02:24:39 am »

Sig hail

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: [1] 2