Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781861 times)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Drop system update: "Thanks for standing still, wanker."
« Reply #2460 on: April 27, 2010, 01:00:36 am »

You heard it here folks. Someone sucks as a medic.

Actually there are only a hand full of GOOD medics. Okay I'm exaggerating, but there is a lot more to being a good medic than some would think. It's a fun class to play if you get a sense of all that you need to do and actually attempt to do it. Kind of a frantic and urgent existence, that of a medic.

1. Keep everyone around you buffed when they're not taking damage. Requires looking backwards often.
2. Watch for spies, pyros, and pretty much everything. Announce them to your team.
3. In battle make sure you're not in enemy fire, aren't being flanked by a scout, and you aren't neglecting hurt allies.
4. Heal people accordingly. Don't spend 3 seconds casually healing a sniper near a small health pack when there's a blood-drenched demoman screaming for Odin to send him to Valhalla when he falls while desperately flinging grenades everywhere (i.e. calling for a medic at critical health). Priority usually goes like this:

Top: Critically injured players that can otherwise survive if you intervene. Saving a single life often means saving MANY lives.

Top: Heavies who are suppressing the enemy for time/distraction. People will shoot at them for the hell of it. The longer they can stand there shooting, the longer the distraction. Make sure your fat buddy doesn't take TOO long to relocate or he'll have a giant hole/arrow/knife in his head.

Top: Other medics. This is important, medics who don't heal/keep each other buffed in combat are practically cutting their usefulness in half.

High: Engineers. If they die, their buildings will usually follow suit. Sometimes I even take it as far as ubering them while they tank so that the sentry lives. This is not a wasted uber by any means, if the engineer lives then the sentry will probably live as well, and the rest of your team will come riding in at any second (hopefully). If the sentry dies, too bad so sad, at least the engineer is still alive! He can set another one up quickly.

Middle: Injured players who are not taking constant fire. Get them back in the game, but only if you can spare the time!

Middle: Unbuffed players. Keep an eye out for passer byers who need a quick buff as they run through, it could save them from an ambush. Always try to keep people who are fighting around you buffed. Remember, you heal and buff MUCH faster when a player has not recently taken damage. Pay attention to who just got hit by the rocket and who didn't, you can fill somebody up within seconds and get back to that crazy soldier before he blows himself up if you heal in the correct order.

Middle: Spies, scouts, snipers. These three often resort to health packs due to being more.. behind the scenes/mobile. But if they're near you, do them a favor and save them the trouble. They're usually easy to heal. That early headshot, flank, or stab thanks to your help could save your team.

Low: Players (esp heavies) who make no effort to retreat from overwhelming situations. They're going to die regardless of what you do, if there are not many people around then you can probably spend time building an uber on them.. but don't take that job too seriously. These kind of decisions often determine your own fate. If you get too focused on keeping them alive then you're likely to follow them into death.

Low: Doomed players. Similar to the above, however this category can cover almost anyone. If you're healing a good soldier who's blasting away at hordes of enemies alone, and suddenly he gets head shot for half his health, AND he runs out of rockets, all while three mad pyros are rushing forward, you need to get your ass to safety. That uber is your baby. It cannot die, teammates will understand. I know, I know, sometimes it's difficult to break off that healing beam and retreat from the action, but it's a good skill to master.

4. Stay ALIVE. Monitor your vital signs. Always always always! I already ranted about this but.. it's just that important. Constantly glance at your health. Is it midway down? That means you need to get a health pack or a dispenser. Is it red? You need to run for dear life or pop your uber, chances are you're going to explode from a stray grenade if you chance it. Is it sort of low but not terribly low? Grab that nearby medpack as you run by just to stay healthy.

The healthier you are, the healthier your team is. Use the regular needle gun when you're, say, on a payload map defending the very last point. Use the Blutsauger when you're on offense and you're trying to cap the second point. The regular needle gun will let you shrug off minor injuries more quickly, and the Blutsauger will let you escape desperate situations with more ease. A pyro chasing you is DOOMED if you run backwards while firing this thing. If he's too close and he's actually burning your face off faster than you can poke HIS off, strafe around while firing needles accordingly. Hopefully you know how to aim correctly and you survive.

5. When alone be extra observant. Especially if you have a semi or fully built uber. Do not leave anything to chance, ever, unless that's what the situation calls for.

6. Uber often in pubs and only when needed with team players. In large pubs the game is basically like two large walruses head butting eachother until one of them passes out and dies. In team play games it's all about knowing when to push and when not to push, executing carefully planned attacks, and using teamwork to help each other survive.

Okay I'm done. Maybe.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: April 27, 2010, 01:30:17 am »

Yeah, retreating is super important as a medic. You essentially play him like a very low damage pyro. It's probably the hardest skill to learn, retreating.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: April 27, 2010, 02:59:38 am »

For ubering engies: Just be careful of the situations. No amount of uber can save a sentry that is getting stickied.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: April 27, 2010, 03:54:26 am »

@Debvon, very good, I'd only add two things: the first is minor, and very obvious; if they are on fire and any of the above, kick them up a category. Well, except for the doomed players. They can burn in hell.

Secondly (and most importantly), learn how to move like a medic. Retreating is important, yes, but you'll be able to stay up near the front line a lot longer if you know how to move properly.
This is more than just strafing; hug the walls to stay out of sight for longer, if you're in an open field (a bad idea at the best of times) keep an eye out for snipers and crouch erratically. A fully charged bodyshot will still end you, but snipers often try to make headshots when they don't need to, and I can't count the number of times I've been able to rush down snipers because they don't realise this.
On top of this, never, ever stop moving. Even when you think you're safe, there is always the chance of a stray spy or unseen sniper. This extends to when you're using an uber as well. If you sit still and let them draw a bead on you while ubered, they'll pop you the second it runs out. Don't give them that chance.

If you do get chased by a fast offensive class (that is, a scout or a pyro), get between them and the health pack. It's not so much that you're keeping them from the health (though that can be a part of it), but rather that they will chase you towards the health. If your aim is good and you have a blutsauger, you will stand a better than even odd of driving them off or even killing them if you get to a health pack. To be fair though, that is a general rule of this game.
Finally, learn the basic cover-fire/sniper-points, and make sure to keep that nice fat heavy or cart between you and that point. Often they'll still be able to see you, but every now and then, it'll save your life.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: April 27, 2010, 06:08:44 am »

As a Soldier, I know I've sometimes been a bit of a dick to Medics who decide to heal me. Not on purpose or anything, but I have a habit of not counting Scouts and Pyros as major threats because they're not major threats... to me. They ARE major threats to the Medic. What always inevitably happens is that either I kill the Scout or Pyro and go on to kill the rest of the enemies or the Scout kills the Medic which will lead to our team losing.

I stopped using the Direct Hit pretty much because I couldn't hit Scouts with the stupid thing, so there's that. I've just gotta actually focus on killing the little bastards. I hate hitting them, though. A good Scout is next to impossible to hit with a rocket, mostly because they're in the air so much.

I've been getting much better at scout. Specifically one using the FaN, I've found I simply can't go without the aerial tricks you can pull off with one.

Same, I tried using the FaN again after almost a year of disliking both the gun itself and Scouts in general. I found it to be incredibly fun. That was probably because the other team was just awful, though.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: April 27, 2010, 06:11:15 am »

I find the FaN to be a lot more useful if you're the sneaky, ambushing type of scout, and as long as you don't have to desperately defend a point. Though it's a bad idea to go without the pistol as a backup weapon unless you need the Bonk! to bypass a sentry/heavily guarded room.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: April 27, 2010, 07:58:13 am »

I only ever use bonk with the scatter, especially when I discovered that you can reload while invulnerable.

The instant you come out of invulnerability you can also fire off a meat shot, just hold down the trigger. If you use the FaN though it will consume both shots, so it's really not worth it.

Also, to all FaN whiners, practical isn't always fun, I'll go for what I find most enjoyable even if it's detrimental to the team, and if you have a problem, then go sit in a corner tight-ass.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: April 27, 2010, 08:09:16 am »

The fan is a bad weapon and you should feel bad.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: April 27, 2010, 08:41:58 am »

I damn your spy ass to death by a thousand pyros.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: April 27, 2010, 09:00:41 am »

I damn your spy ass to death by a thousand pyros.
Considering I'm going for Pyromancer, this can be arranged. Of course, this would require me playing on the crappy DFC server.

Because the flamethrower and melee hit detections are bullshit enough without latency.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: April 27, 2010, 09:15:29 am »

Wait, what's the fan? I haven't played for a while, so I've only seen a few of the new weapons.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: April 27, 2010, 09:24:47 am »

Ah... I didn't recognize the abbreviation without any caps in it. I though you were talking about an entirely different weapon.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: April 27, 2010, 10:23:58 am »

Hey, workerdrone (WHy did i type workerdrone?) Shadowdump. Come say that to my face, using your bat, i will use my knife, and rape you.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 04:33:06 pm by Jakkarra »

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2474 on: April 27, 2010, 04:32:02 pm »

Daaaamn, debvon, that's actually pretty useful.
...I probably shouldn't dick around and be a battlemedic all the time either, even though I can kick ass sometimes
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 774