Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781272 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Some of us do...  ;D

Also, pro-tip: During setup, if you're not a medic, demo or engineer, you're bored as hell, waiting that entire minute.

So what you do is change to engineer, upgrade the teleporter entrances outside of the spawn, then change back to the class you want to play. People will love you.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:09:20 am by Siquo »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile

People. It's just a red level 2 sentry with the only, the only difference being a small knob and a light. Hardly something to go conspiracy-theory about.

Oh, and that green wiring someone mentioned is a garden hose. In the background. Behind the sentry. Seriously, you can see it in the third picture.

That aside, being able to MOVE your sentry is a whole other matter that I look forward to.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

I often use the dispenser to block passages. It's a warning sign and slows down people at the same time. I don't see the problem.

A super-durable fake sentry though? Come on.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

My guess is that most likely the only difference between this sentry and the normal ones would be being movable, a trait that would not effect the outcome of battle. It's a level 2 sentry with no extra special abilities other than it can disappear and reappear somewhere else when you are gone, a trait that engineers often have to do. I'm cool with such small changes for such an ability.

Now if they wanted a new sentry with different effects they will have to move the guns to different positions and perhaps shift the main body forward.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile

Tried my hand at playing the engineer, and I learned I'm terrible with the little Texan mechanic. Ya'll got any tips for this poor old guy that just wants to join in on the fun?

Edit: I just got an achievement called 'Lenin a Hand', you gotta love these little puns. :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 10:32:48 am by ILikePie »

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you are playing defensively:
Build your base in a location that isn't right on a corner(so it can't be "edged"), in a location where enemy troops have to attack it from range head on, and not so far away it can be sniped or shot at from outside the range of your sentry. Be aware of demos throwing grenades or stickies at it, people attacking from weird directions, and spahs! spies and such. However, if you get ganged up on by a competent team without much back up then you're doomed. There's not much you can do when a spah spy saps your sentry then an uber heavy medic team runs in and a scout quickly escapes with your intel. 
Also be aware that your sentry gun will hurt you if it shoots through you at an enemy. Remember that spies can stand on your dispenser and stay cloaked infinitely. Also remember you can stand on your dispenser and so can get up to a higher location, where you can build your base where spahs spies cant get at you.

Playing offensively.
Find a path where you know enemies will come through soon but aren't there at the moment. Build a level 1 sentry out of sight to people walking forwards and hide nearby. Level 1 sentries are pretty weak but if you ambush enemies occupied with your sentry you can shotgun/wrench a lot of them to death. You will probably lose your sentry but it builds quickly and you can get more metal off dead players. Alternatively if there is a chaotic situation you have a chance of throwing down a level 1 sentry in the heat of battle which can turn the tide.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Lesse I don't play engineer much myself but here's some basics I learned that probably go a long way from being terrible to only being subpar.

1. Unless the fighting is happening really close to your spawn, build a teleporter outside the door and run back in to replenish the metal before running to the front.  It's a lot easier to have a tele entrance prepared already than to have to run back to make one if an opportunity to build an exit comes along.  Don't worry about upgrading it or making it build faster or anything until you have an exit, just place it and go.

2. If you keep hitting a building while it's under construction with your wrench it will become functional in half the normal time.  Handy for sentries or when your team needed a dispenser "yesterday".

3. If other engineers are around, help eachother.  1 level 3 sentry is better than 2 level 1s.  And you can get it to level 3 fast that way.

4. At the same time however, don't build your sentries too close to another engineer's sentry.  There's not much point in having both of them if all it takes is 3 or 4 stickies from a single demoman to blow them both up.

5. If another engies stuff is taking a pounding and yours isn't, help fix it.  be wary of stickies though.  Your own sentry is as good as dead if you die in a sticky explosion with another engie.

6. Don't use up all your metal on upgrading.  Keep a bit around incase you come under attack.  If you use up all your metal upgrading and a soldier starts shooting at your sentry, you don't have any metal left to fix your sentry with.

7. Keep an eye out for stickys.  If they are coming faster than you can remove them, abandon the sentry.  You can build a replacement faster if you don't have to wait for respawn.

8. Hit the sapper once, then kill the spy, then finish off the sapper.  And for godsakes turn around once in awhile.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

Tried my hand at playing the engineer, and I learned I'm terrible with the little Texan mechanic. Ya'll got any tips for this poor old guy that just wants to join in on the fun?

Heres a bunch of various tips, most of them fairly obvious if you've been playing a while.

Watch out for where other people place sentries while playing as other classes, the more common locations are usually good places for you to build.

If another engineer has a sentry covering one entry into an area, try setting up to cover a different entry/area the enemy can use to target the other sentry.

In most cases building right near another engineers buildings is just asking for a single demo/uber to take them all out in one go, don't do it.

If a spy saps your buildings when no one else is around, switch to shotgun and give him several blasts then swap back to wrench to kill the sappers.

If you can see other teammates taking on the spy, then concentrate on killing the sappers.

Once a round starts try to keep above 40 or so metal while you are upgrading your buildings, as this gives you a reserve to repair them when an enemy arrives.

Once your buildings are fully upgraded/while waiting for metal to respawn, use your shotgun to spycheck everybody.

Remember the only people who can stand on buildings from your side are the engie who built it and enemy spys. If you see someone doing so, spycheck them.

Work with other engineers to get one sentry to level 3 fast rather than two partially upgraded level 1's.

Similarly, if your gear is already upgraded then help a nearby engie upgrade his stuff.

Be aware of other engies gear, particularly if they have been sapped so you can repair/kill sappers if the other engie has been killed, saving the gear.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And one more that's not made obvious enough by the game: Pressing the right mouse button turns the building you're placing. Helps loads in ninjaneering and teleport placement.

I just had loads of fun ninjaneering on CTF_Well on the server. I managed to build a sentry looking out the window in the opposing sides' base. It managed to pick off 6 guys in a really short time before it got taken down. I also managed to build a number of other sentries in equally aggravating places all around their base.

Ooh, only 6 wrenches 'til update!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:22:35 pm by LASD »

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That would be right mouse button, left places it.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile

I AM STILL LAGGING.
DAMN YOU STEAM.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile

When placing a teleport exit the arrow on the blueprint shows what direction allieas will come out facing. Bear in mind they will be somewhat disorientated when they come out so place it facing toward the direction they should go in and not facing a wall. Bad teleporter placement can waste team members time as they run away from the enemy or get them killed if there are enemies near and they spawn facing a wall.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT?!!!!!!

The random item generator drops me THREE ENGIE HATS?! THREE!!!! I seriously hope trading comes out...

Edit: Like I said yesterday, the wrench came out today exactly at 11.33am Albertan time. Just like yesterday. But I missed it again by a few seconds :(

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So in my spare time between idling for items to craft for a golden wrench and..Thats it, actually. I've been pretty bored. I wrote a short story. Here it is.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile

Thanks for the tips all. Now to set up this dammed mic and I'm all set to go. I think I missed this part, are they releasing the update when the wrench count goes up to 100?
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 774