Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 777757 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Mann-Conomy Update! "NEMESIS KICK!"
« Reply #4755 on: October 02, 2010, 08:36:36 am »

All your items you had before the update are now vintage items. This is to distinguish them from the store bought or traded items as you got them from honest idling.
New items aren't "vintage" either, though.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: October 02, 2010, 12:00:58 pm »

I'm not sure how I feel about this update quite yet.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: October 02, 2010, 12:19:09 pm »

I know it's a lot to take in, but... what part of the update are you on the fence about? I'd assume the storefront, but hey, I've been wrong before.

The new items range between "mostly useless" (Sydney Sleeper seems this way - no headshots, and applies Jarate only on 50%+ charged hits...) to "OMG THIS IS AWESOME!!1" (Short Stop. 4-barreled, long-range shotgun - it'd be epic even if it didn't slow people!), with most of them at least mostly awesome.

The hats are a pain in the rear, but apparently crafting recipes will be released sooner or later for them. (Or so I've heard.) Until then, yeah, you basically have to buy the item set bonuses.

The store is debatable. You can acquire nearly every item in there from random drops, and trading means that it's easier to get the random drops you need (not to mention that trading frequently seems to trigger more random drops for the participants!). Honestly, the prices are ridiculous - one new hat costs almost as much as TF2 does when it's not on sale! On the flip side, I've definitely gotten more than $10 worth of enjoyment from TF2, so I'm not adverse to paying them more money (unlike those other FPSes that charge full-price for the game and then demand that you buy DLC to keep up). And the fact that some of the money goes to the weapon designers is excellent; not only are good artists rewarded for their work, it's also an encouragement for more highly-skilled amateur modelers to submit more high-quality weapons.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: October 02, 2010, 12:31:15 pm »

I'm with Thexor on this one.
Also i'm glad to see the people of polycount contributing to games as a collective effort;
I've been there since 2004 and they are exceptionally talented people.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: October 02, 2010, 01:04:49 pm »

Did you see the dueling badges? They require you to win duels- tiers are earned every 250 wins. I've gotten a random duel drop but still, given the chances of that you're probably going to have to spend about $250 per dueling badge tier. Craziness.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: October 02, 2010, 01:14:14 pm »

anyone else notice the the four packs of weapons for each character from the polycount pack, when not on sale are rated as 45$ USD, which equals a brand new game where i'm from..... no god damn way I'm spending that kinda money, and even 4 dollars per weapon (5 where I am) is an insane price.
Nom nom nom

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: October 02, 2010, 01:24:02 pm »

Did you see the dueling badges? They require you to win duels- tiers are earned every 250 wins. I've gotten a random duel drop but still, given the chances of that you're probably going to have to spend about $250 per dueling badge tier. Craziness.

Wait... what? I could've sworn they were earned every 25 wins, not 250 - that's 10 wins per level, 25 per tier. Check the badge descriptions on TF2 items (near the bottom). Dueling tokens cost $1 and have 5 charges. Assuming you win 50% of your duels, that's 2.5 wins per dollar, or roughly $10 per tier. Still damn expensive for a couple of random drops and a shiny badge, I'll admit, but a far cry from $250.  ;D

EDIT: Whoops, forgot - it's a tier every 25 levels, not every 25 wins. So yeah, it is 250 wins per tier, and more like $100 per tier. Oops, sorry!

(Also, if you're challenging strangers, you're likely to challenge people you think you can beat, hence you'll likely have more than a 50% win/loss rate (and, they'll probably still accept your duel because it's a chance to get a duel win for 'free'). If you're challenging friends, you'll probably be closer to 50/50, but hopefully they'll buy some tokens to challenge you back, so you'll get some chances at 'free' duel wins. So the '2.5 wins per dollar' stat is on the low end.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:27:17 pm by Thexor »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: October 02, 2010, 01:35:35 pm »

I was on a server when some nice server admin started buying gifts. Like two $20 Oprah-style everyone-gets-a-gift gifts and four or five smaller one person gifts. It was cool. In total, I think three hats and a name tag were given out. Course all I got was regular items, but I did make sure to thank the guy.

I think every player should get a free dueling token every week. As it is, there's hardly any duels going on, which is sad since they look really fun. Also gifts should drop since giving them out and receiving them is really cool. I'd honestly rather get the Oprah-gifts than a hat.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: October 02, 2010, 02:15:36 pm »

How about a duel game mode, where every player is randomly assigned a nemesis from the other team and score points when they kill/assist kill their nemesis?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: October 02, 2010, 02:29:55 pm »

The new items range between "mostly useless" (Sydney Sleeper seems this way - no headshots, and applies Jarate only on 50%+ charged hits...) to "OMG THIS IS AWESOME!!1" (Short Stop. 4-barreled, long-range shotgun - it'd be epic even if it didn't slow people!), with most of them at least mostly awesome.

I dunno, the Sleeper seemed pretty powerful when I was playing last night. The guy who had it was totally ruining everyone and not even scoping... Even he was complaining about how overpowered it was.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4765 on: October 02, 2010, 02:45:02 pm »

Could do something like the old bounty game mode from Tribes... It's a free-for-all, right, except you have a specific target. When you kill him, you get a new target. Everyone else could be Blue, and your target (and anyone targeting you) is Red. Disguises would work basically normally, so spies would be able to appear to be friendly, putting others off course or allowing for subterfuge.

What does everybody think of The Eternal Reward?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: October 02, 2010, 03:14:48 pm »

I think I want it.

I just got The Stranger but I haven't tried it out.

Also, I noticed a note in our server description about speaking english- is that because of the french guy that came in earlier? :P

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: October 02, 2010, 06:49:48 pm »

What exactly are duels?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4769 on: October 02, 2010, 06:53:35 pm »

Also, I noticed a note in our server description about speaking english- is that because of the french guy that came in earlier? :P

Not really, we've had that on the server more or less since the beginning.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 774