Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781358 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Mann-Conomy Update! "Here. Have an eagle."
« Reply #4890 on: October 11, 2010, 01:18:39 am »

You really shouldn't be wrangling a mini sentry unless the enemy is outside your range. Even then I can't really recommend it all that much. DPS is too low.
It beats the hell out of a pistol. =p

I like wrangling it -alot-.
And is in turn beaten mercilessly by "Place the sentry and shoot your shotgun or pistol alongside it."

Derp.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: October 11, 2010, 03:09:47 am »

And why do people stand still while wrangling? I don't stand still when I'm shooting any other gun.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4892 on: October 11, 2010, 03:18:58 am »

Engineers in general tend to do a lot of stand in one spot.  As a sniper it's pretty funny to kill a guy then watch him run straight to the exact same spot to be killed again.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: October 11, 2010, 04:24:13 am »

^That.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: October 11, 2010, 06:51:17 am »

So I bought Team fortress 2 yesterday.
Completed the training.
Played a game with some Russian speaking players in my team.

Now what?

Oh and what's the deal with items? Do you only get them at the end of the game? What's gives them?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: October 11, 2010, 08:18:41 am »

Completed the training.

Now what?

Oh and what's the deal with items? Do you only get them at the end of the game? What's gives them?
Items drop at random. You get them when you die.
If you want some more training (the tutorial is all but useless in practical terms), try offline mode.
Long Live United Forenia!

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: October 11, 2010, 08:21:13 am »

Completed the training.

Now what?

If you want some more training (the tutorial is all but useless in practical terms), try offline mode.
Achievements also give you items when you complete enough of them.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: October 11, 2010, 12:58:00 pm »

Completed the training.

Now what?

Wait... isn't the tutorial Soldier-only? Yeah, it's pretty useless, though it does teach the basics of (arguably) the simplest-to-learn class.

Items can be gained in, as of recently, 4 ways. In ascending order of usefulness:

One is to buy them with real money - given how expensive they are, a pretty costly proposition. Don't bother.
Two is to trade for them. Works a lot better when you've got something to trade back.  :P
Three is to get them by random drops. You get items after playing for a random period of time, and they're officially 'awarded' to you next time you die.
Four is to earn achievements. Each class has a bunch of achievements to earn - you've probably earned a few of them already! Each class also has "Milestone 1, 2, 3" achievements, awarded for earning a number of other achievements - those ones award free, guaranteed items. For instance, getting 10 Scout achievements gives you a free FaN, 15 gives you a Sandman, and 20 gives a Bonk!. This is the easiest way to quickly earn the item you want. (Sadly, the newest crop of items doesn't have achievements for them, but it's at least a guaranteed way to get all the 'old' items.)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: October 11, 2010, 01:57:44 pm »

You really shouldn't be wrangling a mini sentry unless the enemy is outside your range. Even then I can't really recommend it all that much. DPS is too low.

And is in turn beaten mercilessly by "Place the sentry and shoot your shotgun or pistol alongside it."

Derp.
Not really. I will kill anyone way faster by wrangled mini sentry than mini+shot. And if you wanna engie duel, I will kill you way faster as well. Not only it does more damage, but it snaps at you, not wasting any dps.

Wrangled minisentry does 96dps.
A minisentry + shotgun does 81dps on average.

Don't get me wrong, if someone gets near melee range, I will drop wrangle and shotgun on the face which is where the shotgun shines, but at normal ranges, wrangle minisentry wins. Not only that it does more damage, but you can use its shield for cover.

Besides shotgun on the face at melee range, the next dps step for the engie is the normal sentry at level 2. If you really want to use your shotgun along with your sentry use the normal sentry at level 1 + the shotgun, then you will match the wrangled minisentry dps (it's almost exactly the same dps) and even have a longer range for the sentry, but you will have a longer setup time as well.

Back before the update, I used engie traps + shotgun, which was basically using a level 1 around a corner and luring enemies in for the kill.

Course, if you like doing mini & shotgun, nothing wrong with that, just don't come saying it does more dps because it doesn't. The pistol + mini will do more dps (around 10 more dps than wrangled sentry), but that's assuming you will not miss a single shot and the guy will stay in the mini sentry's range.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:03:31 pm by Soulwynd »

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: October 11, 2010, 02:10:05 pm »

Another question.

I've looked trough the last 10 pages of the topic but haven't found any server where you guys are playing on.

Is there one?

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: October 11, 2010, 02:21:01 pm »

Wait... isn't the tutorial Soldier-only? Yeah, it's pretty useless, though it does teach the basics of (arguably) the simplest-to-learn class.
Solly could only be considered the simplest class if you're only learning the basics (...hitting a target). Juggling opponents, wall jumping, and other advanced rocket jumping techniques all take more time to learn. Easiest to learn (in my opinion) would be Heavy or Targe Demo (unless you're Grenade Jumping, which most Demoknights don't).

Another question.

I've looked trough the last 10 pages of the topic but haven't found any server where you guys are playing on.

Is there one?
The Dwarf Fortress Community server is the main one:
217.163.31.206:27015
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: October 11, 2010, 05:11:26 pm »

Derp.
[Snip]
That's assuming both people hit every shot. If it were that simple... well, yeah.

But it's not just pure numbers, there's also the concern of aim as well as which of you they choose to go after. A lot of players will have a minor freakout over fighting an engie and his minisentry at the same time.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4902 on: October 11, 2010, 05:21:11 pm »

I find the extra spots the infinite range mini sentry gives you and the fact enemies often waste their firepower against the triple durability mini-sentry is enough to mostly equip the wrangler, though I use my shotgun most of the time and keep the wrangler for when it's really needed. Still both pistol and wrangler are valid choices for gunslinger engies.

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: October 11, 2010, 07:15:40 pm »

I love and hate this game at the same time that it's actually funny... I love this game due to the nice weapons's, updates, and some good server's filled with good people, and I hate this game due to my problem with connecting to the servers and how the sort list by population don't work sometimes (when I join a server, any server, i've see only the IP, the name, max player, ping, and everything else is blank... and get the server not responding.... it happens all the time when I hit the internet tab to find more servers, however it don't happen alot if I go though my history or my faviorates...). I also dislike it when I am playing as an engineer, trying to support my team, but they don't support me back from keeping spies away from me and won't even listen to me.

I 've just got my new spy dagger and it's kinda hard to use in some situation's... it's useless with the dead ringer so I only use this if I carefully move around and wait for the opportunity to stab and more then 2 people. As Engineer, demoman's are worse then spies... cause they love sticking at least two sticky bombs to blow shit up... and I hate my teams don't do anything about it.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: October 11, 2010, 07:24:55 pm »

Lies.
I dominated a game(or, part of it) with Your Eternal Reward and the Ringer.
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 774