Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 777816 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Goes Free To Play with Uber Update "Let's do dis."
« Reply #6480 on: July 05, 2011, 09:01:28 pm »

Has anybody been having trouble launching this recently? It's been getting stuck on the "Preparing to launch Team Fortress 2..." window. When I try launching it from the steamapps folder, I get the error "Setup file 'gameinfo.txt" doesn't exist in subdirectory 'hl2'. Check your -game parameter or VCONFIG setting."
Try going into Team Fortress 2 Properties / Local Files / Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

EDIT: Also, you can't launch the HL2 engine directly. Must be done from Steam. Might work with the "-game 440" parameter, but probably not.
Still isn't working. I also tried defragging it. This is really annoying.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: July 05, 2011, 09:06:22 pm »

I've still not seen a cooler as a drop; I've only played ... 9.8 hours in the last two weeks, however.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: July 05, 2011, 09:07:57 pm »

Has anybody been having trouble launching this recently? It's been getting stuck on the "Preparing to launch Team Fortress 2..." window. When I try launching it from the steamapps folder, I get the error "Setup file 'gameinfo.txt" doesn't exist in subdirectory 'hl2'. Check your -game parameter or VCONFIG setting."
Try going into Team Fortress 2 Properties / Local Files / Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

EDIT: Also, you can't launch the HL2 engine directly. Must be done from Steam. Might work with the "-game 440" parameter, but probably not.
Still isn't working. I also tried defragging it. This is really annoying.
As a final solution, a modified Steam like GreenLuma should help. It should force through any connections to Steam server. And you should still be able to play on servers, since you have a
valid Steam ID.

Dunno about the risks and the legality of it, so I wouldn't really reccomend it.

Oh yeah, try changing your local Steam server. Might help.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6483 on: July 05, 2011, 09:10:59 pm »

No free keys? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuu.

Anybody giving away coolers then?

You can have mine if you want 'em.

I also have been unable to launch TF2. I don't even get an error, it just sits there at the preparing to launch screen for five minutes. In fact, none of my Source engine games are launching at all.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: July 05, 2011, 09:26:55 pm »

I also have been unable to launch TF2. I don't even get an error, it just sits there at the preparing to launch screen for five minutes. In fact, none of my Source engine games are launching at all.
TF2's working fine here. My guess is still on some broken Steam servers.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: July 05, 2011, 09:45:02 pm »

Ooh, can I have one? I'm Threevil on Steam.

I had the "hangs on preparing to launch screen" issue a couple of days ago but it seems rebooting sorted it out. I think I'd suspect it being due to something on the server end as well.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: July 09, 2011, 04:59:52 am »

Well Fuck, I was scammed recently. The guy took most of my hats when it was supposed to be a hats for game deal, guess thats what I get for not being careful.

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6487 on: July 09, 2011, 07:05:41 am »

Ooh, can I have one? I'm Threevil on Steam.

I had the "hangs on preparing to launch screen" issue a couple of days ago but it seems rebooting sorted it out. I think I'd suspect it being due to something on the server end as well.

You can have both of them, if you like. I'll take any spare weapons that I don't currently have.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: July 09, 2011, 07:07:31 am »

Well Fuck, I was scammed recently. The guy took most of my hats when it was supposed to be a hats for game deal, guess thats what I get for not being careful.

No offence but...

You REALLY fell for that?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: July 09, 2011, 09:20:09 am »

I don't think you can even consider that a scam.... that was just really stupid.
Nom nom nom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: July 09, 2011, 10:59:09 am »

You can have both of them, if you like. I'll take any spare weapons that I don't currently have.

You can take your pick from the Force-A-Nature, Vita-Saw or Family Business. (I suppose this conversation should really be in the trading thread, but meh)

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6491 on: July 09, 2011, 11:18:57 am »

There are quite a few legitimate TF2 items for things outside trades- like the $2500 or whatever it was unusual... So I wouldn't say it's stupid, just something you should be very careful of. Stupid would be falling for "Give me all your hats and I will paint them" with someone you don't know. Apparently there's an opening crates version of this as well, but crates are mostly worthless so I wouldn't care.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6492 on: July 09, 2011, 04:11:40 pm »

You can take your pick from the Force-A-Nature, Vita-Saw or Family Business. (I suppose this conversation should really be in the trading thread, but meh)

I'll take the Family Business, please and thanks. I'll add you here in a mo.

EDIT: Mind linking me to your profile? The only Threevil I can find hasn't logged on for 1088 days, according to Steam.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 04:13:41 pm by dragonshardz »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: July 09, 2011, 05:20:29 pm »

I don't think you can even consider that a scam.... that was just really stupid.
Actually people do those deals all of the time. There's even a constantly updated scammer database and he wasn't in it, its not like im just walking up to random people asking them.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: July 09, 2011, 05:49:20 pm »

Actually people do those deals all of the time. There's even a constantly updated scammer database and he wasn't in it, its not like im just walking up to random people asking them.
How do you think people get added to that list?
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 774