Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781482 times)

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Free To Play! Deus Ex promos! Heavy with a bionic arm!
« Reply #7095 on: September 07, 2011, 05:58:51 am »

While I agree that open maps are bad for pyro, choke points are worse. I still enjoy playing badwater servers if I choose my battles, but the thing about koth etc is that you retain freedom of movement. There's nowhere on the map that spells instant death for you.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7096 on: September 07, 2011, 09:51:24 am »

Well, a pyro that is actually hiding in a choke point is in his natural habitat. Nothing better than having swarms of enemies turn a blind corner into your flames.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: September 07, 2011, 02:31:37 pm »

Does anyone know if theres a file that the inbuilt TF2 map vote chooses maps from? The DFC server seems to only choose community maps now a days :/

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7098 on: September 07, 2011, 02:40:17 pm »

Well, a pyro that is actually hiding in a choke point is in his natural habitat. Nothing better than having swarms of enemies turn a blind corner into your flames.
And then proceed to kill you with no means of escape. Except killing everyone. Good luck with that. If it's like the first point of Thunder Mountain then you might get away with an airblast, but soldiers and demomen could still likely blow you up before you can escape.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7099 on: September 07, 2011, 02:46:36 pm »

Well, a pyro that is actually hiding in a choke point is in his natural habitat.
Common misconception. The natural habitat of a pyro is right behind the main force of the enemy, just before they want to make their push.

Oh god I love those scenes. Fire all around you and everyone's so confused that you can even get a few mailbox hits in before you're killed. After that you get a support kill for everyone else because your team thought it'd be nice to rack up some kills in a field of half-dead enemies. Oh... the glory...  8)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7100 on: September 07, 2011, 02:53:15 pm »

I dunno, I think a pyro works well either supporting your own team in various ways or roaming and picking off solo targets in hallways. He has powerful tools for working with multiple targets and hurting everything around him, but he's just so squishy at that range and lacks any tools for making up for that. And airblast can only really deal with one opponent 100% of the time, you cannot deal with two soldiers or demomen at once unless you got lucky and a reflected projectile crits them both.

I think I would have more respect for airblast if it made any damn sense. Does it have a minimum range? Only way I can explain videos of people airblasting projectiles in ways that have killed me countless times. I have pulled off the "Kill somebody behind me with an airblast" thing, but front airblasts seem to be chance-based.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7101 on: September 07, 2011, 03:06:28 pm »

Airblasts are completely luck-based, just like the entire class.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7102 on: September 07, 2011, 04:59:43 pm »

Airblasts are completely luck-based, just like the entire class.

Wait, what? Luck-based as in, trying to time them? The people who play on Dodgeball servers beg to differ - if you can see the rocket coming, it's possible to reflect. Even at close range - most soldiers will fire as fast as possible, so you can learn the time between shots and reflect shots that would normally be too close to hit.

Do you mean aiming whatever you reflect? It's just like aiming a normal rocket. Heck, if you really know what you're doing, it's possible to rocket-jump with reflected rockets (seriously, don't try this at home until you're pretty confident), which works surprisingly well.

Or do you mean when airblasting people into the air? Completely luck-independent; heavy classes don't move as far, walls stop their movement.

So, really: How are airblasts luck-based? I mean, sure, if you have no clue how to time them, they're luck-based; same with every other weapon in the game, when you're unskilled with them. Headshots, pipe bomb hits, rockets - half the game is 'luck-based' if you haven't yet figured out how to use it properly.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7103 on: September 07, 2011, 05:06:40 pm »

Sorry, that statement needed a sarcasm sign.
I really try never to be sarcastic, again :(

But... if you would have read the entire conversation (or at least 13 posts) before that one post, you'd have noticed.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7104 on: September 07, 2011, 05:12:10 pm »

yeah. The real power of airblast lies in being able to say "no. you can't go through that doorway. I'd rather axe you instead. Have fun careening into a corner and dying!" The projectile reflect is a welcome, but hard-to-master bonus.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7105 on: September 07, 2011, 05:46:21 pm »

Sorry, that statement needed a sarcasm sign.
I really try never to be sarcastic, again :(

But... if you would have read the entire conversation (or at least 13 posts) before that one post, you'd have noticed.

Eh, sorry. I'm not so good at spotting text-sarcasm, and couldn't remember which side of the debate you were on.  :-[

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: September 07, 2011, 06:13:58 pm »

I'm just sick of ambushing soldiers and demomen, getting a few backburner crits before having them whip around and kill us both with a rocket/grenade. That frustrates me to no end. I go and WORK for my kills only to have this guy wreck the whole thing in ONE CLICK.

That aside, I still think that making pyros immune to close-range damage ramp-up is a great idea. It should permit them to be a bit more agressive in their supposed area of excellence without totally wrecking balance.
... and then it explodes!

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7107 on: September 08, 2011, 03:51:46 pm »

Decided to pop up a video of me playing spy since no one's defended the spy on the topic at hand. I don't think I'm the greatest spy ever but I enjoy playing spy and find it to be a real benefit to the team if done in a non greedy fashion...although I will admit my revolver skill was LACKING that match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m1gjUDYZD0&feature=channel_video_title

End match details: 8v8, roughly 6:30 minutes, 15 kills, 1 assist, 1 capture, 1 life
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7108 on: September 08, 2011, 04:30:22 pm »

Funny how you also get the spy vs spy effect: If the top-killer of a team is a spy, suddenly people on both teams start playing spy as well :)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7109 on: September 08, 2011, 04:34:24 pm »

Even at close range - most soldiers will fire as fast as possible, so you can learn the time between shots and reflect shots that would normally be too close to hit.
Unless there is lag on their end, or they have slow reaction times, or other latency shenanigans. There are general timings and feelings to follow when trying this, but they are easily made useless by stuff most people suffer from.

I will admit that I have not ever figured out the correct airblast timing for a projectile heading straight towards me, and every video I have seen of it being done was from the same zone where I always fail. There is a bit of a sore side there. Everything else is legit.

Airblasting people is fine and dandy until they suddenly realize in a zen-like moment, my god, I just need to shoot them. Only really works when you are taking advantage of cover and corners to keep them away from having a good LoS on you. Unless it's a corner of a hallway then they just turn the corner again and shoot you as you are halfway towards an escape.

One can be successful as a Pyro when the powers that be work in your favor, where pretty much any class can work well. But in every situation I see the Pyro go into he survives because the other players failed to either aim, react to the situation or the foe was already at a disadvantage. Every time I attempt an ambush it is weak due to inherent weaknesses with the class which other ambushing classes don't have.

Honestly, just let him have a class-based advanced mobility jump. Like an airblast jump. It's a pyro, having them be able to ascend a ledge is not a problem. Him jumping over the battlefield isn't a problem wither because he is completely harmless when in the air and at half health when he lands. This is like giving the Scout the Brass Beast: It doesn't matter that it's a minigun on a scout, it has enough downsides that synergize with his other weaknesses to make it not a problem for anybody.
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 774